Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Potter did choose to go there to be fair
    True. 

I wonder if how much control he has over incoming players.  

All seems a bit pin the tail on the donkey so far. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    axisus said:
    Am I the only one hoping that Chelsea fail?
    Nope. I’m with you on that. 
    I'll join your party

I should add that I like Potter, It's a shame that Chelsea failing would mean that he has to. Oh well .....
    I would tend to agree with you on that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited February 2023
    He has walked into a job now that is clear he has zero control on who they buy, i suspect in part, who they play.....because the people who paid big money for X player, would want to see their return on investment and would not be pleased if such investment sits on the bench.

I like Potter, I feel bad for him, but also part of me don't, since he chose to go into that situation voluntarily and will get a massive payout at the end of it.  But on the football side and his career, I wish him well, but not Chelsea...
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    marauder said:
    Chelsea doing a Leeds, bet the club on future success.
    Let’s hope that it turns out as well for Chelsea too.
    :D
    Whilst some way still to go, at the moment you don't see Chelsea in the CL next year and that will cost them a few quid in appropriate revenue 

Had a good chat the other day with a big Chelsea fan and Arsenal fan - The topic was who is the biggest club in London - Historically, say over the last 50/60 years, then fair to say Arsenal, then Spurs (I know many would have a good fight about that ) - But go back to the 30's and the introduction of H Chapman and Arsenal reigned supreme - I think I've heard that when they 1st won the league title it was the first time a southern club had done so - But based on size of support, history, time in the top flight, then a fair fight between Spurs and Arsenal for the top spot is about right - But IMO Arsenal deserve to claim that spot

Of course the Chelsea fan disputed all this after all, they have won the CL, twice - And I agree that is some statement - Yet they have a stadium that is no where near as 'grand' as Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and now Brentford would challenge that - For years they spent time in the 2nd tier - For years they were a yo yo club - But starting with Bates, then under Roman, they have been successful, but has that success been purchased ? - But to me, they are not as big as Spurs or Arsenal and I know a few W Ham fans will fight them for 3rd place - Not sure how you measure the level of fans support, London, UK or World Wide, but my gut feeling is that Chelsea sit below Spurs and Arsenal 
  • I thought Man United were the biggest team in London?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    guitars4you said:

but my gut feeling is that Chelsea sit below Spurs and Arsenal 
    Really? Chelsea have to be above Spurs on all counts surely?
  • axisus said:
    guitars4you said:

but my gut feeling is that Chelsea sit below Spurs and Arsenal 
    Really? Chelsea have to be above Spurs on all counts surely?

On an honours count basis it would be Chelsea > Spurs I suspect..

... and dont call him Shirley..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• joneve said:

Well done to Newcastle - first final in 24 years.

All being well we'll join them, although an early goal by Forest tonight and it could be a nervous wait.  Should be a formality at OT tonight but you never know.
    Hopefully Nevas’ plane is going straight from Paris to Manchester so he starts tonight :D. You’ll have no problem with OL’ Wayne between the sticks :-( 
    Still, relatively close until we made substitutions.  The scoreline doesn't really reflect how well you guys played during much of the tie.  The fans were great as well.

Happy to be in a final, it's big for us, even bigger for Newcastle.  Obviously I hope we win, would be the first trophy in 5 years, but also if we don't win it will be great to see Newcastle win something for the first time in quite a few years.

Re the final, we have 7 games before the Final apparently and Newcastle 3.  Also we play Barcelona on the Thursday, Newcastle have over a week off to prepare so I'm not that hopeful.  I'd be otherwise more confident, but we're bound to lose a few players before the game.   That said I'm sure it will be a great final!
  • I'd have to say Arsenal are the biggest London club. Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs. I believe Chelsea have a larger global revenue than the other two.

But West Ham are the best club, with the best supporters and the best kit. :)

Millwall have absolutely nothing going for them and might as well disband right now :lol:
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'd have to say Arsenal are the biggest London club. Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs. I believe Chelsea have a larger global revenue than the other two.

Millwall have absolutely nothing going for them and might as well disband right now :lol:
    Supposedly, Chelsea’s revenue was ahead of Spurs was ahead of Arsenal (2022).  Liverpool ahead of all of them, ManU top (in UK).

Champions League receipts will distort the figure year-by-year and I can’t be bothered to work out an average over the last few years.

In revenue terms, WHU were level with Everton.  Probably a 0-0 draw.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    I'd have to say Arsenal are the biggest London club. Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs. I believe Chelsea have a larger global revenue than the other two.

Supposedly, Chelsea’s revenue was ahead of Spurs was ahead of Arsenal (2022).  Liverpool ahead of all of them, ManU top (in UK).

Champions League receipts will distort the figure year-by-year and I can’t be bothered to work out an average over the last few years.

In revenue terms, WHU were level with Everton.  Probably a 0-0 draw.
    No we won 2-0 last week....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd have to say Arsenal are the biggest London club. Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs. I believe Chelsea have a larger global revenue than the other two.

What defines "biggest though"? Trophies or annual profit? Of course I will want to say its Arsenal too but Chelsea have won the league more times than us and also the Champion's League. I'd trade a few FA Cup wins for 1 CL!
    Lestratcaster said:

What defines "biggest though"? Trophies or annual profit? 

Adding to those I'd mix in general history and attendance figures as well as worldwide popularity (if that can be measured?). Spurs seem to have been uneventful through my whole life, but apparently they won trophies in the past.

What defines "biggest though"? Trophies or annual profit? Of course I will want to say its Arsenal too but Chelsea have won the league more times than us and also the Champion's League. I'd trade a few FA Cup wins for 1 CL!
    Yea some of it is subjective. I guess I remember Arsenal being a huge club even in the 80's and 90's, and they had so many iconic players and teams, were constantly winning trophies, then they had the Wenger years, Invincibles etc and wherever you went on holiday you'd see an Arsenal shirt. I live in London and many, many people are Arsenal fans, even when they're in West Ham territory. And then you combine that perception with their income, trophies, popularity and it just seems like they're the bigger club. Definitely in the capital anyway, it's not even close if you ask me. 

• I see charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.

I don't think he’s a player we need now,  the team is playing well and without commenting on the case I hope we move forward without him.   Apparently the club are conducting an internal investigation.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Even as a Spurs fan, I’d have to concede that Arsenal are the “bigger” club over the past couple of decades.

I had hope that the tide had turned, and consistent CL qualification, the new stadium, a “name” manager, etc, would lead to a switching of places, but I fear that the tide turned back rather more quickly than I’d hoped,

You could probably have the same debate in most cities/conurbations where there are more than one club.

ManC or ManU ?
    Villa or WBA? 
    Liverpool or Everton?

OK, so maybe some of those are not quite as arguable …
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

I see charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.

I don't think he’s a player we need now,  the team is playing well and without commenting on the case I hope we move forward without him.   Apparently the club are conducting an internal investigation.

Still seems like a massive question mark over him. 
  • TTony said:
    Even as a Spurs fan, I’d have to concede that Arsenal are the “bigger” club over the past couple of decades.

I had hope that the tide had turned, and consistent CL qualification, the new stadium, a “name” manager, etc, would lead to a switching of places, but I fear that the tide turned back rather more quickly than I’d hoped,

You could probably have the same debate in most cities/conurbations where there are more than one club.

ManC or ManU ?
    Villa or WBA? 
    Liverpool or Everton?

OK, so maybe some of those are not quite as arguable …
    Villa probably don't even consider us as second place, let alone us or them haha. Also i don't think we would qualify as a Birmingham club, we are Black Country more so. I'd say in terms of Black Country, us and Wolves are probably quite similar overall. Obviously Wolves are doing better than us currently, but then we did better for longer before we swapped and we both have similar histories etc
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

I see charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.

Still seems like a massive question mark over him. 
    I hear he is still with, or back with the same woman who was part of the original allegation - Based on only that initial phone clip message that was flying around at the time, it appears to be some amazement that they actually found the key to release him - I know we always talk about innocent until proven guilty - But will be interesting to see how Man U respond to this internally - He certainly had potential, but is he a knob head regardless (I'm asking that as a question and not a statement)
  • She may well have dropped the charges and they had no further evidence and that's it. We've all heard the recordings, it's pretty cut and dry and we know what this prick is about. I hope he gets booed and torn to shreds for the rest of his career. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:

Well done to Newcastle - first final in 24 years.

All being well we'll join them, although an early goal by Forest tonight and it could be a nervous wait.  Should be a formality at OT tonight but you never know.
    Hopefully Nevas’ plane is going straight from Paris to Manchester so he starts tonight :D. You’ll have no problem with OL’ Wayne between the sticks :-( 
    Still, relatively close until we made substitutions.  The scoreline doesn't really reflect how well you guys played during much of the tie.  The fans were great as well.

Happy to be in a final, it's big for us, even bigger for Newcastle.  Obviously I hope we win, would be the first trophy in 5 years, but also if we don't win it will be great to see Newcastle win something for the first time in quite a few years.

Re the final, we have 7 games before the Final apparently and Newcastle 3.  Also we play Barcelona on the Thursday, Newcastle have over a week off to prepare so I'm not that hopeful.  I'd be otherwise more confident, but we're bound to lose a few players before the game.   That said I'm sure it will be a great final!
    Big Wayne even put in a few saves. Last ditch attempt to save his job with Navas coming in :D 

was pleased overall and thought “fucking knob” when Ten Hag decided to bring on the big guns for ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING REASON AT ALL :D :D 

both goals of our own doing yet again too. United much the better team (and rightly so given our respective paths) but 8-0 over the 3 games is a flattering score line I reckon. 

Best of luck for the final! 
  • Only 2nd defeat of the season, Everton benefited from 'new manager effect'. Not too worried, teams have won titles with more than 2-3 defeats all season. The just had a gameplan to stop us playing our game and it worked.

Just hope Partey isn't injured, and it wasn't why he came off. Jorginho and Trossard are good cover but are they enough when deciding games? 

Onto the next game.
  • I think Dyche is a seriously under rated manager who is able to get a lot out of players and I think you'll see them move up the table because of his talent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't know how much support he had from the board in the transfer window as they didn't bring anyone new in I don't think.

• Only 2nd defeat of the season, Everton benefited from 'new manager effect'. Not too worried, teams have won titles with more than 2-3 defeats all season. The just had a gameplan to stop us playing our game and it worked.

Just hope Partey isn't injured, and it wasn't why he came off. Jorginho and Trossard are good cover but are they enough when deciding games? 

Onto the next game.
    Good thing is you have the buffer.  

Next game will be crucial.  I mean they all are when you are going for the title. City could be 2 points behind by the next time you play, then you play Brentford, a potential banana skin.  If you don’t win against Brentford, Man City could well be ahead when you play.

All in Arsenals hands however,  but the pressure will mount.  Which is exactly what happens in a title race and exactly where we all want to be!

Same for City, a must win at Spurs tomorrow.
  • Seeing as I didn't expect us to be in this position in the first place (potentially challenging for the title) I'm only looking at the next game, nothing further than that. I said at the beginning of the season I will take a CL spot, so 2nd/3rd etc but the way we've been playing this season no one would hold it against us to go for 1st. Just hope the lads don't bottle it in the next 2 months.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    Don't know how much support he had from the board in the transfer window as they didn't bring anyone new in I don't think.
    He/they only had 2 days to be fair.

West Ham being West Ham again. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Up the Wolves =)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Am glad West Ham managed a draw a5 Newcastle as others did well today 
  • blobb said:
    Up the Wolves =)
    Cracking result for you lot, I really hope you turn it around as you are the only team in the West Midlands lately who've achieved anything really for a while, would be awful for you to go down and have to start over again. Perhaps not the sentiment you'd expect from a Baggies fan, but it's really only the Villa I dislike
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter