Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I can see Kane doing the same as Van Persie did when he joined.  He is not going to win trophies at spurs, I think even he knows that.
    But, you’d think if “winning trophies” was his #1 ambition, he’d have left Spurs long ago.

Of course, as a Spurs fan, I’d love for us to be winning the PL, or a Cup or two.  But if that was all I wanted from supporting a team, I’d have learned by now to support a different team …
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    TTony said:
    I can see Kane doing the same as Van Persie did when he joined.  He is not going to win trophies at spurs, I think even he knows that.
    But, you’d think if “winning trophies” was his #1 ambition, he’d have left Spurs long ago.

Of course, as a Spurs fan, I’d love for us to be winning the PL, or a Cup or two.  But if that was all I wanted from supporting a team, I’d have learned by now to support a different team …
    His romantic side has so far won, will see whether the logical side wins in the next transfer window.

They have Richarlison now who in theory can fill the void if he steps up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Richarlison isn't a proper replacement for Kane. I don't think there is one but
    a) if there was we couldn't afford him, and
    b) Chelsea would offer a squillion pounds for him as they do for all players that look like signing for someone else. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Darvel - is that the biggest cup shock in Scottish history ? - I recall the press headline from years ago when Celtic lost a big cup match - Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Darvel - is that the biggest cup shock in Scottish history ? - I recall the press headline from years ago when Celtic lost a big cup match - Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious
    And as an ICTFC fan I was there @guitars4you ;

it was a replayed game On a midweek as the previous game was called off on the Saturday due to high winds and part of Parkhead blowing off 
    , we had already travelled from Inverness to Glasgow for the game so ended up getting very very drunk in Glasgow ( I got arrested but that’s a whole other story) 

we had a goalkeeper that worked as a brickie during the day and went to Darkhead and beat them their own patch 1-3 so that’s a bigger upset for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I watched that game, live, on TV last night.

Apart from the last 10mins or so, when Aberdeen's better fitness was apparent, you'd really have struggled to say which team was in the higher league.  If that's typical of Scottish Premier League quality, then they'd struggle in the English League 1.

From some of the commentary comments, the gap might be slightly false in that it sounds like Darvel have recently benefitted from some investment, and had bought/brought in a number of players with higher league experience, even if they weren't still full-time professionals.

Aberdeen were still very poor though.
    , we had already travelled from Inverness to Glasgow for the game so ended up getting very very drunk in Glasgow ( I got arrested
    The only explanation I can think up for being arrested in Glasgow for being drunk, is that you weren't drunk enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited January 2023
    On paper, yes it's the biggest shock. In practice, it's probably not quite as big a deal as Berwick Rangers beating big Rangers in the sixties but it's definitely still up there. 

Darvel play in the sixth tier but thanks to Scottish football's recent conversion to a true pyramid system there's a lot of teams who probably aren't in the right place yet and Darvel are one of them. They seem to have ambition, investment, and facilities of a team that should be higher up the leagues. 

• TTony said:

You could argue that him staying to try and win something with Spurs shows more ambition, because it's a much harder task than just rocking up to an already better team just be a part of their success
  • Obviously a bit shit to go out the cup but good to see the gap between us and City isn't as big as when they used to beat us 5 or 6-0 at the Etihad. We made 6 changes and still gave them a good game. And the two domestic games we've lost this season Partey hasn't played in (well, the 2nd half today) so it shows how important it is to get a replacement. Hopefully Chelsea don't swoop in for Caicedo.

Main focus should be the league now and keeping our key players fit.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Wasn’t much in it, Arsenal looked good.

We’re the same without Casemiro, not quite the same team.   

• We made 6 changes, they made 2. We matched them til Partey went off, which was the key, lost control in midfield. Lokonga clearly not ready. But pleased to see we can actually play them at a game of football instead of looking like a boys team vs the senior mens at school.

Brighton want £80m for Caicedo now apparently. Not worth that I don't think.
    Arsenal this season is the real deal, even with a few 1st team not playing they can still match City for most of the game.  They can definitely win the league this season, even if City go on some amazing run I think they can hold on...and honestly I still see City dropping points here and there because i feel they are more predictable this season with Haaland in the team.  I think before everyone chips in because they lack a No.9.  Now it seems they have a focus and mentally they just try to give him the ball more and the opposing team now have learn to neutralise him slowly.  I’m not sure City will go on this 15 games winning streak this time round.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    oooh I do love it when klippety klop loses  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    tFB Trader
    @TeleMaster - Hope you hammer them tonight (pun intended)- Have a few friends who like the sheep shaggers,  who are going tonight - They have, or did have, a spare ticket, so did I want to go - But not for me to sit amongst a load of Rams fans hoping they'd loose - Should be a good test for Derby, as they are on a roll, to see how 'good' this young side is - Should be a good atmosphere, certainly whilst Derby are still in the game 
    edited January 2023
    It seems like Chelsea are buying anyone who's anyone, and quite a few anyones who might become a someone one day, or might disappear into has-beens, or never-quite-were-beens.

OK, I get it's now the plaything of some rich Muricans rather than a rich Rushki, and they've been saving their pocket money for months so they can play buy-buy-buy.

But;

1.  Seems like most of the anyones and all of the someones are not of these shores.  I thought there were limits on how many Johnny (or Jane) Foreigners could be on the squad, and a certain number of home-grown players were required?

2.  Financial Fair Play rules?  I realise that those rules are barely really "guidance" let alone rules (hello ManC) but even UEFA/FIFA or whoever applies them must have some sort of limits on the piss-taking?

3.  How many of the three-dozen players they've bought are going to be happy earning their mega-millions by spending 90mins sat on a bench and a few days at the training ground?  They can't all be called "Grealish" surely?

4.  And how is Graham Potter going to manage the egos of three-dozen mercenaries who all think that they're the best player (not) on the pitch.  He seems like a nice guy, but ...

5.  Wasn't buy-buy-buy the approach that got Chelsea into their position of mid-table dominance?  I thought the Potter-plan was to spend a season or two building a team and a style of play ...

Seems like madness to me
    And another thing ...

You could make a good argument for van Dijk having been a success at Liverpool. 

But, him aside, how many other of those "most expensive" players turned out to be a wise spend?
    fbft.png 60.6K
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    ^ funniest thing is Lukaku on their twice!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Chelsea are getting around FFP by giving these players 7, 8, 9 year contracts and paying in installments over the corresponding length. UEFA or the FA (I can't remember which) are going to be changing the rules in direct response to this.

Imagine how the likes Conor Gallagher and Loftus-Cheek (and for that manner, any academy player) feel.

They could do with another 6 or 7 full backs and/or wingers I think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited January 2023
    We (West Brom) did that "long contract with instalments" thing when we decided that buying a lazy arrogant tit called Karlan Grant who played out wide would be a good idea to buy as our one and only centre forward to help us survive in the Premier League.

Now we are stuck with the lump of a cart horse and can only get interest in him via loan deals
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    Chelsea are getting around FFP by giving these players 7, 8, 9 year contracts and paying in installments over the corresponding length. UEFA or the FA (I can't remember which) are going to be changing the rules in direct response to this.

Imagine how the likes Conor Gallagher and Loftus-Cheek (and for that manner, any academy player) feel.

UEFA have stopped that loop hole straight away - You can still sign a contract longer than 5 years, but the 'book keeping' aspect regarding value/write down etc can only be 5 years - Think it has commenced already
    tFB Trader
    ^ funniest thing is Lukaku on their twice!
    Think his aggregate transfer fees are higher than any other player - You'd think other clubs would realise by now that he has no longevity and often flatters to decieve - He can be a handful at times, on the pitch but might be a bigger handful off the pitch as well
  • Bidley said:

UEFA have stopped that loop hole straight away - You can still sign a contract longer than 5 years, but the 'book keeping' aspect regarding value/write down etc can only be 5 years - Think it has commenced already

comes into force after this window.. so expect more Chelsea deals this window..

Personally I think it should be 3 years max.. maybe that's their end goal.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Bidley said:

Spurs are just about to sign one of their U19 strikers.  Allegedly, Chelsea wanted to keep him, offered a new contract, but he’s leaving on a free.

You could understand their existing players looking at all the incomings and working out that, apart from the Carabao Cup, they’ll not be playing much football for the next 8 seasons and looking for a way out.

Mason Mount to WBA?  Think he’d do OK in the championship.
    I know Chelsea is spreading out the fees over a few years to get past the FFP rule, but it will still add to their spending for the next few years....and i doubt they will make it into the CL for next season so that will lower their cap in the future.  If these unproven expensive buy doesn't workout and they have to shift them at a loss, it's going to really backfire in the 2025 season.
  • TTony said:
    Give him to us for the rest of the season, that should be ample time for us to remove any skill and mentality he does have
  • Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

We've been used to getting Chelsea's fading players (Cech, Gallas, David Luiz and Willian) and they weren't that great. Players over 30 on 3 year deals for a high wage.

We do need backup for Partey and I'd rather we didn't move Xhaka back to play in front of the defence as he's been excelling further forward in midfield. I'd like ot see Ben White get a go in CDM (I think he played there for Leeds) or even Zinchenko as he can play there too. Then again Jorginho has PL experience and can pass the ball about. He can take a decent penalty as well despite that silly hop jump thing he does. Maybe we should go for Kante instead haha.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

We've been used to getting Chelsea's fading players (Cech, Gallas, David Luiz and Willian) and they weren't that great. Players over 30 on 3 year deals for a high wage.

We do need backup for Partey and I'd rather we didn't move Xhaka back to play in front of the defence as he's been excelling further forward in midfield. I'd like ot see Ben White get a go in CDM (I think he played there for Leeds) or even Zinchenko as he can play there too. Then again Jorginho has PL experience and can pass the ball about. He can take a decent penalty as well despite that silly hop jump thing he does. Maybe we should go for Kante instead haha.
    Trust the process

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

TTony said:
    Bidley said:

Spurs are just about to sign one of their U19 strikers.  Allegedly, Chelsea wanted to keep him, offered a new contract, but he’s leaving on a free.

You could understand their existing players looking at all the incomings and working out that, apart from the Carabao Cup, they’ll not be playing much football for the next 8 seasons and looking for a way out.

One of my best friend is a Evertonian and he really really dislike Mount, it would make my day if Everton buys Mount.
  • I am an Evertonian and I reckon if Sean Dyche was a band, he'd be Dr Feelgood (original line-up).