Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

Would be bad news for my team West Brom though, that's would be massive to compete against when our parachute payments run out this summer
    I think I'm right in saying that the English League is the only one with a parachute payment - I don't think it should be there - I know it was brought in to help the 'relegation' clubs through 'troubled waters' with potential big wages and various long term contracts - But clubs in the past have used it to buy more players to help them get straight back up again, which is not fair on existing EFL clubs 
    It's a tough one because without the parachute money, I would think the rich clubs in the PL would just get richer and the promoted teams would have to scrimp as if they were still in the league below due to the risk of going bust if they got relegated. 

When we got relegated in 2018, were it not for the parachute money we would have probably had to sell pretty much the entire first team at cheap prices to replace with cheaper players, and would therefore probably have dropped down another level. When the Villa went back up, had they remained in the championship past that season they would have been in massive massive trouble, and would have had to rely on selling Greasy Grealish to avoid financial problems. Yes, some of that was because of bad management of both clubs, that's fair enough. We certainly went from solvency to absolute farce of a club following the change of ownership, but without the parachute being a back up plan we wouldn't have managed to stay there and stay competitive for 8 seasons before then
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

Would be bad news for my team West Brom though, that's would be massive to compete against when our parachute payments run out this summer
    I think I'm right in saying that the English League is the only one with a parachute payment - I don't think it should be there - I know it was brought in to help the 'relegation' clubs through 'troubled waters' with potential big wages and various long term contracts - But clubs in the past have used it to buy more players to help them get straight back up again, which is not fair on existing EFL clubs 
    When Leeds get relegated you can try it if you like :) Parachute payments are mostly just deferred TV payments from a team's time in the PL. It's money that's due to the relegated teams anyway. With FFP etc. removing parachutes would cut the EFL adrift even more than it is now. If Albion, Norwich, Watford et al can't stay up with parachutes how would Rotherham or Bristol City without them?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

When Leeds get relegated you can try it if you like :) Parachute payments are mostly just deferred TV payments from a team's time in the PL. It's money that's due to the relegated teams anyway. With FFP etc. removing parachutes would cut the EFL adrift even more than it is now. If Albion, Norwich, Watford et al can't stay up with parachutes how would Rotherham or Bristol City without them?
    The 'solidarity' payment to all EFL clubs is a different story - Effectively a 'goodwill' payment from the PL to all other clubs in the EFL, excluding those who still receive any parachute payment - It is more of a token gesture to 'larger EFL' clubs but I dare say more important to those in Div 1 or 2

I recall when Villa came down from the PL, they signed John Terry - Albeit the end of his career but still an experienced head who can/could still contribute and lead  - That doesn't sound like a fair way to utilise parachute funds - They are designed to protect existing agreements not expand them 

As I said earlier no other European league adopts such a policy 

You may well be right about Leeds - Who knows - But we got promoted 3 years ago with no such 'free' additional funds' behind us - As did Forest last year - But in recent years many of those promoted back to the PL have benefited from the parachute payment, hence a 'stronger squad' - Currently less fair to say Luton, Middlesborough, Blackburn + Millwall etc
  • Leeds did get the parachute payments but if I recall correctly, they were in such a mess at the time that the money was probably swallowed up within that perhaps? You finished 14th and 5th in your parachute seasons, then finished bottom the following year when they had run out
    tFB Trader
    Surely great news for Man U with Jim Ratcliffe looking at buying your club - Has great pedigree via Ineos with cycling, Rugby, Sailing 
    tFB Trader
    Leeds did get the parachute payments but if I recall correctly, they were in such a mess at the time that the money was probably swallowed up within that perhaps? You finished 14th and 5th in your parachute seasons, then finished bottom the following year when they had run out
    Yes when they went down in 2004 they were in a financial mess, thanks to Ridsdale, under a policy of excessive borrowing, backed by future potential - It seriously back fired  - I'm not sure when parachute payments came in, but the debt was so big I think nearly all PL players were sold before the 1st game in the EFL, at knock down prices - Can't quite recall when it went into admin and Ken Bates (lovely guy) came into buy the club, then put it into admin again shortly after - The last 16 years has been a financial mess, with a few different dodgy owners, until Radrizzani stepped in, and now San Fransisco 49ers already buying into the club, with a further buy out on the cards 

No matter if we received parachute payment then, or indeed in the future (of course don't want to go there) but I still don't agree with it 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    tony99 said:
    Betting suspended on Moyes being sacked. Benitez appears to be the favourite to replace him if he does get sacked. I've no idea what to think about all of it today.

West Ham vs Everton on Saturday will be interesting, especially if both managers are still in post. If West Ham win we will possibly cause Frank to get the sack, which will delight many of our fans. 
    Might just end up swapping managers for maximum fume all round
    If Frank Lampard ends up manager if West Ham the whole of the East End might explode. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited January 2023
    BBC getting  stitched up with those sex sounds in the studio before the wolves Liverpool match
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    BBC getting  stitched up with those sex sounds in the studio before the wolves Liverpool match lol 
    Sure it wasn't just liverpool getting fucked again?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited January 2023
    Zzzz
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited January 2023
    As someone with zero emotional ties to English football and a waning interest in elite football in general, what I really want out of the Premier League these days is funny narratives.

I'm sure we can all agree that the enduring shitshows at Spurs and Frank Lampard's Everton are absolutely glorious entertainment. Long may they continue. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    BBC getting  stitched up with those sex sounds in the studio before the wolves Liverpool match
    https://youtu.be/XJjfZmXvxys

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Surely great news for Man U with Jim Ratcliffe looking at buying your club - Has great pedigree via Ineos with cycling, Rugby, Sailing 
    As a Man U fan I'm dying to see the back of the Glazer parasites. A takeover like that must never be allowed again in football anywhere.

I LOVE the idea of Jim coming in, both British and a Man U fan. Someone on the radio today said that he didn't have enough money though. Football is truly getting crazy if that is the case. 
  • I was supporting Tottenham til 9.45pm tonight. Was quite please to see them 2-0 up but City made a great comeback. Lead cut to 5 points. Utd on Sunday. Massive game. Nice Casemiro is suspended.

Not fussed Mudryk signed for Chelsea, he clearly chose more money offered, but who the hell signs an 8-year contract?

Not overly keen on the Trossard signing likely to be happening either. £21m for someone who Brighton don't want cos of attitude problems. 28 years old too so not a long term signing but I guess he's got Premier League experience and can score goals.
  • As someone with zero emotional ties to English football and a waning interest in elite football in general, what I really want out of the Premier League these days is funny narratives.

I'm sure we can all agree that the enduring shitshows at Spurs and Frank Lampard's Everton are absolutely glorious entertainment. Long may they continue. 
    As I was saying... ;-)
    That was umm.. Spursy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Part of me is gutted that we blew a 2-0 lead, part if me us relieved we only conceded/gifted four goals, part of me is glad that we cut Woolwich's lead at the top.

I am a man of many parts, very few of them are happy with Spurs at the moment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalf said:
    Part of me is gutted that we blew a 2-0 lead, part if me us relieved we only conceded/gifted four goals, part of me is glad that we cut Woolwich's lead at the top.

I grew up near Woolwich and always think how good it would have been for south london football if arsenal had stayed (assuming they would grow into the club they are now)

Im a lifelong Palace fan but we’ve won nothing ever and don’t get me started on Millwall or Charlton who are worse still.

Technically Chelsea are south of the river but you’d class them as West London really 
  •  but who the hell signs an 8-year contract?

It's a deliberate ploy to circumvent the FFP rules; they are paying the fee in instalments over the full term of the contract no doubt to lessen the annual outgoing.

And as we know, the length of a footballer's contract is almost irrelevant if they decide they want to leave.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

•  but who the hell signs an 8-year contract?

It's a deliberate ploy to circumvent the FFP rules; they are paying the fee in instalments over the full term of the contract no doubt to lessen the annual outgoing.

And as we know, the length of a footballer's contract is almost irrelevant if they decide they want to leave.

I ain't too bothered we missed out, we signed Trossard for £21m instead, not sure what to make of the signing. Surprised Arteta wanted a player with suspected attitude problems, as he shipped out Guendouzi and Aubameyang for similar reasons. 

Whether or not he can play as a no.9 I don't know, but we have proven PL experienced cover for Saka/Martinelli now. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    scrumhalf said:

After the experience of the last few seasons, if we can't even manage to beat ManC away, then things are bad.

Where's Hugo gone?

Being a football manager isn't just about moaning to the chairman to get the chequebook out.  It's about motivating and developing individual players, building team spirit and some belief, building the confidence of the team and giving the supporters what they expect. 

OK, this is Spurs, let's settle for giving the long-suffering supporters what we still retain some vague hope of achieving.

Yup, there are 2-3 players who I'd prefer weren't on the pitch, but they could still sit on the bench (Royal apart, he's on a park bench).  Those 2-3 apart, we've got 8-9 players who really should be capable of putting Spurs comfortably in the top4, or even top2 given the way other clubs have been playing this season.

That they're not achieving that is, IMHO, down to Conte.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Danny Ings - that has the hallmarks of a very useful signing 
    edited January 2023
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Blackpool FC - taking on Mick McCarthy as manager, so you don't have to.

sev112 said:
    We'll see. No idea how he passed the medical with his knees but let's hope he manages to school a few. Seems like a hardworking, honest player. The problem at West Ham is service. The Fullbacks seems to have lost the ability to serve the attacking players so it's not fair to blame the strikers, they're not getting opportunities. Dunno how Ings will change that but let's see.

This will be Lampard first return to West Ham as a manager with a crowd, so it'll be a firery game that's for sure. Should be fun!

COYI!!! 
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    We'll see. No idea how he passed the medical with his knees but let's hope he manages to school a few. Seems like a hardworking, honest player. The problem at West Ham is service. The Fullbacks seems to have lost the ability to serve the attacking players so it's not fair to blame the strikers, they're not getting opportunities. Dunno how Ings will change that but let's see.

This will be Lampard first return to West Ham as a manager with a crowd, so it'll be a firery game that's for sure. Should be fun!

COYI!!! 
    FFL - watch out for his time wasting tactics - Will start around 3 mins into the game and continue throughout - Unless of course they need to score 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Liverpool vs Chelsea today, first time I’ve ever know it to be a genuine mid table clash!

Not looking forward to playing Arsenal tomorrow, without Casemiro.  I’ve predicted a reverse of the OT fixture, 3-1 to Arsenal.  The good thing the real battle for us is top 4 and we’ve got in a position for a defeat now not to be too costly.

• Liverpool vs Chelsea today, first time I’ve ever know it to be a genuine mid table clash!

Not looking forward to playing Arsenal tomorrow, without Casemiro.  I’ve predicted a reverse of the OT fixture, 3-1 to Arsenal.  The good thing the real battle for us is top 4 and we’ve got in a position for a defeat now not to be too costly.
    I guess 0-0 draw was fair but CFC seemed bit stronger and composed overall. Liverpool started 2nd half strong but couldn't finish. 
    I liked Mudryk's debut. Bit rough still but showed big potential.

@joneve - I came back from game gutted- we should've bring back 3 points. I felt we were pressing hard and had few chances (your fave Keifer ;) ) which we should've scored on. 
    Fair play for fighting till the end - last 10mins you were better - equaliser look like offside but I'm yet to see proper replay - I was worried to concede another goal in added time. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Hammers on the way to win the league ;) 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    FFL done 
    surely enough is enough a team devoid of ideas , devoid of any tactics and devoid of any confidence