Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    We will soon see goal hangers standing on the line “not interfering with play”   All these literal attempts to write laws generates crap situations like that.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    What’s Poch up to these days?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited January 2023
    axisus said:
    Well I've had a look at the rules now and I don't see how he wasn't offside.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by: 

Or clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent;
     Or making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

Rashford was clearly attempting to play the ball and impacted the City players ability to play the ball by his proximity to the ball and his actions. Fernandes picked the ball up but that doesn't negate the build up play. 

Definitely offside. They got it wrong and the goal shouldn't have stood. 
    You think you speak with authority, but some pundits/ex footballers have defended the decision!

Not with authority, just an opinion and the rule seems pretty clear? Personally, I don't think that being an ex player or a pundit means you automatically understand the game as it currently is, nor does it mean that they're an expert on the rules.

Plenty of referees get decisions wrong because they don't understand things fully and that's a referee. I don't see why Alan Shearer would be expected to know more than a referee, who can get complex rules wrong.

The opinions of some of these pundits, Jenas, Joe Cole are unbelievablely poor. Joe Cole spoke complete and utter drivel when talking about West Ham players last year, I couldn't believe that he kept his job. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by: 

Or clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent;
     Or making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

Rashford was clearly attempting to play the ball and impacted the City players ability to play the ball by his proximity to the ball and his actions. Fernandes picked the ball up but that doesn't negate the build up play. 

You think you speak with authority, but some pundits/ex footballers have defended the decision!

Scholes and Ferdinand by any chance ?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Certainly a game of 2 halves - Spurs v Arsenal - First half and Spurs performance was that of the name of their centre back - I was thinking what a lazy bunch of gits - No need for a shower today or the kit washing - No energy or enthusiasm one bit - 2nd half better, but could it have been any worse - Hard to believe that for the last few years Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool have been regular visitors to the CL and as it stands right now, all 3 could well fail to qualify  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    In the words of Brian Clough: "if he's not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?".

As for Spurs today, what a load of old pony. Sideways, backwards, slow. Hugo's cock-up was one too many, he'll be gone at the end of the season. And why we play out from the back is beyond me. We never retain possession. At least if we hoof it upfield we lose possession 50 yards from goal instead of outside the penalty area.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertie said:
     . £62 for an unproven international isn't really a big issue  
    bloody cheap tho
    Oh yeah shit missed the m. Lol.
  • First win at the new stadium for us! 8 ppints clear! Wow. Never saw this coming in the "project". Looking good but will still maintain that there is still an awful long way to go and if Partey gets injured in the run in we are in big trouble.
    edited January 2023
    Yea I think Arsenal are looking good but when those Europa games start coming thick and fast, and you're playing two games a week plus other cup games the strength and resilience of the squad will be tested. 
  • It definitely helps not being in Europe this season, we're not in the League Cup anymore and only just starting the FA Cup.

I just watched the highlights and Ramsdale and he made some key saves. The bellend that tried to kick him at the final whistle needs a smack though. No place for that, its just a game at the end of the day.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:

Not with authority, just an opinion and the rule seems pretty clear? Personally, I don't think that being an ex player or a pundit means you automatically understand the game as it currently is, nor does it mean that they're an expert on the rules.

Plenty of referees get decisions wrong because they don't understand things fully and that's a referee. I don't see why Alan Shearer would be expected to know more than a referee, who can get complex rules wrong.

The opinions of some of these pundits, Jenas, Joe Cole are unbelievablely poor. Joe Cole spoke complete and utter drivel when talking about West Ham players last year, I couldn't believe that he kept his job. 
    Yeah, I totally wasn't saying that any of them were right! I was merely highlighting that 'some' people out there thought it was OK (I didn't think so!)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    It definitely helps not being in Europe this season, we're not in the League Cup anymore and only just starting the FA Cup.

I just watched the highlights and Ramsdale and he made some key saves. The bellend that tried to kick him at the final whistle needs a smack though. No place for that, its just a game at the end of the day.
    Hmm, Arsenal are still in the Europa League, restarts in March.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTony said:
    What’s Poch up to these days?

I'd have him back in a heartbeat too however it gives ENIC & Levy another stay of execution....  the bottom line is they don't seem to back or listen to the manager they put in situ.... Levy is a great business man, but crap when it comes to the football side..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited January 2023
    mrkb said:
    It definitely helps not being in Europe this season, we're not in the League Cup anymore and only just starting the FA Cup.

Yea. West Ham dropped off massively when that kicked in last year. We haven't recovered.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Lol

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 17.8K
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Conte could be gone by Wednesday I reckon. A Pochettino return must be on the cards.
    Why would Poch come back? No Eriksen, no Dele, no ball-playing midfielders.

Conte always said it would take four or five transfer windows to get where he wanted to be. If we get there I just hope he hasn't frightened everyone off with horrible football. 
    edited January 2023
    Can't believe they're looking to sack Conte. I'm a big fan of his. The problems with Spurs exceeds the manager, just like it does at Everton. 
  • I see it as a stand off now though... Conte won't commit to a new contract unless he gets signings...   Board won't buy the signings until he commits..   this situation helps no-one and will no doubt affect players..

it's time for a few players to move on now..  my biggest fear is that once Kane breaks the Greaves record.. (and no doubt the England record), he can leave a legend and do whatever he wants and we will have missed our best opportunity to win something in a long time through sheer neglect of squad building.. Eriksen was never replaced, and Dele boiled..  they were the guile..  there is little there now...

Poch will come back, he loves Spurs, has unfinished business...  If that wasn't the case he would have taken another job by now... but it buys Levy more time at the helm...   we need to get some players that have a calm winning mentality into the fold..   Casimero has had a huge impact on Utd. Perisic is good but plays in a position that needs a bit more legs than he has remaining, Bale was the same stop gap.

It could all be tactics too of course... Bentacur and Hojberg have the ability to push from midfield as does Romero but I fear they don't trust what's around and behind them..

Still, we're 5th.. could be a lot worse...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• "I see it as a stand off now though... Conte won't commit to a new contract unless he gets signings...   Board won't buy the signings until he commits..   this situation helps no-one and will no doubt affect players.."

This is probably what will finish it. We know how Levy reacts to this sort of situation.

This is probably what will finish it. We know how Levy reacts to this sort of situation.
    And I think that’s why Poch went (the first time).  He challenged Levy over the spending cap (£0) and his role (“maybe I’m just the coach”).

Conte is more likely to just walk away, figuring that his reputation is better than Spurs’.

The football has been dire.  Awful.  Play like shit for the first 45mins, then give it a go for 10mins in the second half and see if we can play catch-up.  The squad should be capable of much, much better.  And if Conte is as good as he thinks he is, he’d have them playing much, much better.

Poch did a lot better with a lot less.  I hope we get to see what he can do with the current squad.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Well, an almost perfect weekend of results. Forest up to 13th(!!!), continue to improve and are starting to look like the team I believed they would be at the start of the season. Number of Injuries are a concern but hopefully we'll bring in another few players for depth this window (and get rid of some deadwood too - I'm looking at you, Emmanuel Dennis). 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited January 2023
    If they want to sack Conte, now is probably the best time since he only has a few months left on his contract so the payout is minimal.  (He hasn't signed a new contract has he?)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    If Kane leaves Spurs now they can hardly complain. He has given them great years but they haven't given him the best team to work with. Likewise with Declan Rice for West Ham. I'd say time for both to move on, to say ...... Man U.

Works for me.
    edited January 2023
    axisus said:
    If Kane leaves Spurs now they can hardly complain. He has given them great years but they haven't given him the best team to work with. Likewise with Declan Rice for West Ham. I'd say time for both to move on, to say ...... Man U.

Works for me.
    The challenge would be where would he go.

ManC don’t need him, Chelsea/Arsenal are obviously out, NUFC could afford him now and use him - but what silverware are they going to win?

Abroad - all the chatter is re BayernMunich, else it’s probably another Spurs to Madrid deal.
    Kane doesn't want to go abroad. He can't go to Chelsea or Arsenal, he's burned his boats with City, it's Utd or Newcastle. He won't win the league with either.

• mrkb said:

Oh yeah shit that was last season. But still, I'd take the league over the European competitions anyday. So if we get knocked out in March I ain't too fussed, providing we're still up there in the mix by then.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think winning the league trumps the Europa league.  I actually take the league over Champion's League, unless your name is Pep.
  • Definitely, I mean I think we're still a way away in challenging with Europe's Elite, the Barca's the Bayern's, the PSG's etc etc.

As we haven't won the title in almost 20 years I'd take it, just hoping we don't falter in the later stages like last season, those games vs Palace, Newcastle and Tottenham spring to mind.
  • scrumhalf said:
    Kane doesn't want to go abroad. He can't go to Chelsea or Arsenal, he's burned his boats with City, it's Utd or Newcastle. He won't win the league with either.

Tbh I think he could win the league with either - he is a huge player and imagine if Newcastle or Utd attracted a couple of other top players based on Kane's signing. Arsenal are proving this year that its not automatically City or Liverpool's title to win