Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    @menamestom Sancho is a puzzle. He did well at Bayern and was highly regarded by the German sports press.

Man U has been a disaster though and he has never played well for England that I can recall. I'm worried that his top flight career is done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    @TeleMaster - reports around LUFC area are that Sullivan has already interviewed Bielsa about replacing Moyes - Not sure if true or not 
    Yea we interviewed him for the job when Bilic got it, but I don't know if it happened again. It would be exciting just because you know that it would be very attractive football.

Lots of people are hoping for Tuchel or Poch, but I just don't see them coming to a club that's teetering above the relegation zone at the mid point of the season. Especially after managing the likes of PSG and Chelsea, and having just won the Champions League a year ago n the case of Tuchel. 
    well I'm nervous about tonight 
    You shouldn't be :lol: 
    your bad form, bad luck can't continue - we both need the 3 points - Results went our way last night with Leicester + Everton losing, so both need/want to take advantage of that - A point is not enough but maybe I'd settle for it right now, but sooner rather than later we both need a few wins
    I've only heard the R5SX commentary last night - But sounded a good exciting game - Both sides going for it and could have gone either way at the end - I'll catch up on LUTV later with either a full match replay or extended hi-light 

I'm sure you'll have your own tribute back home in due course for Gold but a nice touch last night at ER

Sure is tight now with only 5 points splitting 20th-13th
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Palace were very Palace last night unfortunately. Looked the best team in it for most of the first half and I thought it’ll only be a matter of time before we take the lead after the break.

We lost 4-0  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Palace were very Palace last night unfortunately. Looked the best team in it for most of the first half and I thought it’ll only be a matter of time before we take the lead after the break.

We lost 4-0  =)
    I only watched the first half. You were all over them.

My best mate is a Spurs fan (I try not to hold it against him), and I couldn't believe it when he said they won 4-0.

Conte must have waved a magic wand at half time.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited January 2023
    joneve said:
    Scrappy win but will take the 3 points back to the city ground! Out of the relegation places and looking more and more positive each game. 
    Was pleased to see you take that first away win, you didn't look too shabby against Man U TBF but they got the goals early, Casemiro was running the midfield and Rashford was a handful. However you could see how you would be able to beat others. 

Forest are a soft spot team for me having lived in the city for 6 years, they're my best mates side, even my ex wife being a fan hasn't put me off Was really pleased they got promoted, and of course your best ever manager was from my home town so that helps  

Onwards and upwards for you hopefully from here.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Scrappy win but will take the 3 points back to the city ground! Out of the relegation places and looking more and more positive each game. 
    Was pleased to see you take that first away win, you didn't look too shabby against Man U TBF but they got the goals early, Casemiro was running the midfield and Rashford was a handful. However you could see how you would be able to beat others. 

Forest are a soft spot team for me having lived in the city for 6 years, they're my best mates side, even my ex wife being a fan hasn't put me off Was really pleased they got promoted, and of course your best ever manager was from my home town so that helps  

We’ve really started to look like a team that belongs (finally!!) and genuinely don’t think we’re anywhere near our best yet. 

Scarpa is looking like a very good signing already. Leicester, Leeds and Bournemouth are our next 3 league games. Need to be looking at 6 points minimum really, to really put the boot in to some of the other teams around us. 
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

We’ve really started to look like a team that belongs (finally!!) and genuinely don’t think we’re anywhere near our best yet. 

Scarpa is looking like a very good signing already. Leicester, Leeds and Bournemouth are our next 3 league games. Need to be looking at 6 points minimum really, to really put the boot in to some of the other teams around us. 
    Hopefully you can beat Lesta and durty, durty, durty Leeds (sorry Mark!). 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    @menamestom Sancho is a puzzle. He did well at Bayern and was highly regarded by the German sports press.

Man U has been a disaster though and he has never played well for England that I can recall. I'm worried that his top flight career is done.

It is a strange one, but it’s something we’ve seen at OT over the last few years where seemingly talented players become former shadows of themselves.

I hope ETH is going through a process with him, break him down and build him up kind of thing.
    He’s got other players playing well after dips in form, hopefully he can do it with Sancho.
    Although this looks like a bigger project than most.
    edited January 2023 tFB Trader
    14th Jan will be interesting - 6 of the clubs in the relegation battle play each other  

• Everton v Southampton
    • Nottingham Forest v Leicester City
    • Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham United

But I dare say all such fixtures will see sides taking points of each other - The current bottom 8 could well be in this fight until May - 5 point gap to Villa/Palace so they can still be pulled in to this battle 
    • Look at the league table today and the form over the last 6 games and those in the bottom three show one win in 18 games between them 
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

No worries - spent 63 years of my life with many/most hating me and my team 
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

We owe Leicester one after them embarrassing us earlier in the season, similarly Bournemouth - 2 goals up at half time and cruising and just capitulating in the second half...need to right that wrong. 

A Win against Leeds would be delightful too. 

Small matter of a possible QF FA Cup place and Carabao Cup Semi Final before then! 
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

No worries - spent 63 years of my life with many/most hating me and my team 
    Well we don't hate you mate!! Tbh, I don't hate Leeds either, great city, and moaned less about being out of the Prem than most others.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Once Conte manages to dish out a pre-match bollocking in addition to his half-time bollocking things might change.

We were very average in the first half last night but came out with a very different attitude in the second half. I think 4-0 was a bit unfair on Palace but we did give them a bit of a tonking after the break.

I hope Kane doesn't score against Portsmouth in the cup but breaks Greaves' record with a hat-trick against Woolwich. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'm assuming Conte has to take his dog for a walk, or get the post-match food sorted, or has a hairdresser appointment, or something else that prevents him getting to the stadium in time for the pre-match stuff.  He races through that stuff, gets there at half-time, and then gives the team some gentle encouragement in time for the second half.

Or does he just say "play like shit, bore everyone to sleep in the first half, then we'll get them when they're not ready for us in the second half"?

Good to see both Gil & Skipp playing from the start yesterday.  Both will need a lot more game time to get up to speed and build confidence, but I'd like to see them both playing more often.

Newspaper speculation that Porro (RB) and Marcus Edwards could arrive in the Jan window.  Which would at least mean that Royal must finally be on his way somewhere.  More speculation that Ndombelazygit has remembered how to play football whilst on holiday in Italy and might stay there permanently.  I'll take any one of those 4 possibles.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

We owe Leicester one after them embarrassing us earlier in the season, similarly Bournemouth - 2 goals up at half time and cruising and just capitulating in the second half...need to right that wrong. 

Small matter of a possible QF FA Cup place and Carabao Cup Semi Final before then! 
    I think the ideal gift for the 'sheep shagging' fans is that both Leeds and Forest go down and the Rams go up  - So for more than one reason I hope they stay in the 3rd tier and both Leeds n Forest stay up
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

I think the ideal gift for the 'sheep shagging' fans is that both Leeds and Forest go down and the Rams go up  - So for more than one reason I hope they stay in the 3rd tier and both Leeds n Forest stay up
    Indeed. They can stay in League One forever and a day. Tinpot club. 
  • City cut the lead to 5 points. Not too worried as there's still a long way to go.

Didn't see the whole game but how shit was Aubameyang. I know he's not our problem anymore but shows Arteta was right to move him on as he's almost 34 and looked disinterested.
  • City cut the lead to 5 points. Not too worried as there's still a long way to go.

Didn't see the whole game but how shit was Aubameyang. I know he's not our problem anymore but shows Arteta was right to move him on as he's almost 34 and looked disinterested.
    He looked hugely lacking in confidence to me which could be worse as only scoring goals will get that back and I can’t see him getting many chances to do that after tonight . That Gallagher is some player and showed him up with his efforts out of position when he came on
  • The fact he came on and then he was subbed off himself probably sums up his performance. He was immense when we won the FA Cup with him but once he signed that new contract we never saw the same player again. £350k per week apparently.
  • The fact he came on and then he was subbed off himself probably sums up his performance. He was immense when we won the FA Cup with him but once he signed that new contract we never saw the same player again. £350k per week apparently.
    Could be another ronaldo situation in that he ends up in the Middle East - who else is going to pay him even half that now 
  • I never saw him as a long term player at Chelsea anyway, 1-2 seasons then he moves on. They won't even have Lukaku who cost them £97m odd.
  • DrCornelius said:
     That Gallagher is some player and showed him up with his efforts out of position when he came on
    He was great. What he may still be lacking in skill and experience he's given in effort, it was like an adrenaline injection, which CFC was desperate for.
    They really struggle to find goals nowadays...
    tFB Trader
    DrCornelius said:
     That Gallagher is some player and showed him up with his efforts out of position when he came on
    He was great. What he may still be lacking in skill and experience he's given in effort, it was like an adrenaline injection, which CFC was desperate for.
    They really struggle to find goals nowadays...
    What happened to the striker they had on loan last year at Soton - Can't recall his name, something like Broja 

But they look a shadow of their former self at the moment - No fluidity and no excitement yet spent a fortune recently - I like Gallagher but who in that line up at the moment would you want to join your club - The easy answer is T Silva but at that age it is a no no, but he should not be looking like Chelsea's best player at his age - It is a credit to him that he still delivers the goods, but other players should be taking over his mantle - But otherwise most of the other players are just looking like also rans at the moment 
  • Glad to see it going well for Connor Gallagher - he was on loan at West Brom a few seasons ago and was full of effort but didn't seem to be able to take the ball with him most of the time. However it was clear there was an excellent player waiting to emerge there, so glad to see it all coming together for him now
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'm amazed that Ronaldo signed for a micky mouse non-european club. Yes, it's worth zillions but to be honest he has enough money. I thought that he enormous ego would want to keep pushing for legacy records. What do I care ...

Aubameyang - Never liked him, I lump him with Anelka, another Arsenal player that was half arsed. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:
    I'm amazed that Ronaldo signed for a micky mouse non-european club. Yes, it's worth zillions but to be honest he has enough money. 
    Did any significant European club want him?

One he had to accept that he wasn’t going to be playing for Real Manchester Munich, and would likely spend more time on the bench of a mid-table Portuguese side … the oppportunity to add a few more £170m/yr to his savings account probably seemed quite attractive.

Last opportunity for his entourage to get a decent amount from their %s too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2023 tFB Trader
    Sad news - Gianluca Vialli passed away aged 58 - Did not realise he was the first Italian to manage a PL Club - Always liked the guy, both as a player and manager - From the days when you could buy an overseas player who would graft and add to the clubs identity - Not be a lazy git or an ego maniac - RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Sad news - Gianluca Vialli passed away aged 58 - Did not realise he was the first Italian to manage a PL Club - Always liked the guy, both as a player and manager - From the days when you could buy an overseas player who would graft and add to the clubs identity - Not be a lazy git or an ego maniac - RIP
    Yes, sad news. Although no Chelsea fan I really liked the guy. Very good for Juventus.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Sorry, @joneve , but - UP THE POOL!

• Watched the Liverpool - Wolves game in the pub last night.

1) the offside rule in its current form is a joke
    2) VAR is shite. Get it binned.