Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited December 2022
    RobDavies said:
    It pains me to say it but... Moyes has to go. Thanks for a year and a half of good football, but it's been shocking for a year now and you've been found out and you've lost the players.

That was the first time I've left a game at 70 mins for a long time. It's actually devastating. 
    I was genuinely surprised at how poor West Ham were last night - we won at a canter, really. 

Must be a bit galling seeing Antonio laughing and joking with the Brentford players at the final whistle, too.  

There are some easier fixtures for WHU on the horizon though… reckon Moyes might be given a chance to get through those and then see what happens. 
    Ah mate. How long can we make excuses? We have been so poor for a year now. I love the guy, but it's over.

Antonio is becoming a caricature of himself now with his air kicks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Rashford has not started today .due to ‘internal disciplinary incident’.

Must be fairly serious to drop the in form goal scorer.  Looks like nobody will get away with crossing the line nowadays under ETH.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Must be fairly serious to drop the in form goal scorer.  Looks like nobody will get away with crossing the line nowadays under ETH.

He then comes on at half time and scores.  Strange one that.

He then comes on at half time and scores.  Strange one that.
    It's a bit like when your dad said you weren't allowed to come down to the family gathering when all your cousins were there because you were naughty, but then after an hour he comes up and says, have you learned your lesson? And let's you play with them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great win vs Brighton, esp after City dropped points earlier vs Everton. Odegaard fantastic. Still can't believe he only cost £35m. Front 3 all scored again, 2 in 2 for Nketiah. Look like a real team now.

Are we in a title race? I don't know, despite the good form and confidence there is still a long long way to go and things can change along the way. I'll take 2nd/3rd spot right now. But a nice time to be an Arsenal fan esp after years and years of suffering.
  • You're definitely in a title race, but as for the suffering, you've won loads of FA cups in recent years! Many clubs would give everything for just one, let alone the 3 you won in recent years! 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    It'd be interesting to see how many teams were top at Christmas only to blow it before the season is over in premiership history.. can't be that many, Shirley.

Arsenal ftw!
  • You're definitely in a title race, but as for the suffering, you've won loads of FA cups in recent years! Many clubs would give everything for just one, let alone the 3 you won in recent years! 
    I'd trade them all for 1 Premier League title in the last 10 years!

If we're still up there come March-April time then we are definitely in one haha.

I don't want to read into the stats and history too much, just look at wining the next game. City on 15 Feb will be the real test though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Great win vs Brighton, esp after City dropped points earlier vs Everton. Odegaard fantastic. Still can't believe he only cost £35m. Front 3 all scored again, 2 in 2 for Nketiah. Look like a real team now.

Are we in a title race? I don't know, despite the good form and confidence there is still a long long way to go and things can change along the way. I'll take 2nd/3rd spot right now. But a nice time to be an Arsenal fan esp after years and years of suffering.
    ‘Years and years of suffering’?? My heart bleeds for your two league titles and SEVEN FA Cups in the last 20 odd years. 

• joneve said:
    Great win vs Brighton, esp after City dropped points earlier vs Everton. Odegaard fantastic. Still can't believe he only cost £35m. Front 3 all scored again, 2 in 2 for Nketiah. Look like a real team now.

‘Years and years of suffering’?? My heart bleeds for your two league titles and SEVEN FA Cups in the last 20 odd years. 

Referring to Wenger's last years at the club. It has been almost 20 years since we last won the league! Failure to sort out the defence and not replacing players sold on to Man City caused many years of upset and stress.
  • joneve said:

Referring to Wenger's last years at the club. It has been almost 20 years since we last won the league! Failure to sort out the defence and not replacing players sold on to Man City caused many years of upset and stress.
    I’m sorry but I’m with @joneve here - at least you’ve got a fairly recent history of winning stuff and chasing Europe every season !

Try supporting Palace (or pretty much any other club that’s lower premier and below) :-)
    joneve said:

I’ve had 23 years of misery with Forest. With the only highlights being promoted from League 1 and Wembley this year. We’ve not even got past the 4th round of any cups before last season. You literally have no idea of the mean of suffering :D 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

agree with you guys about Arsenal and 'suffering' - Will have Man U fans on next talking about suffering - Come and support Leeds and I'll show you some suffering 
    tFB Trader
    DesVegas said:
    It'd be interesting to see how many teams were top at Christmas only to blow it before the season is over in premiership history.. can't be that many, Shirley.

Arsenal ftw!
    without checking, the obvious guess is Newcastle under Keegan
    tFB Trader

I'm glad you are doing well - Certainly playing an attractive form of the game - I would not begrudge you winning the title - I'm not anti- Citeh or Liverpool, but the PL needs diversity as to who can compete (pity it is only diverse to a few elite clubs) - Glad the board showed loyalty and kept faith with Arteta
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I haven't seen a Spurs performance so devoid of skill and intent since the season we went down.

Utter, utter crap. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    I haven't seen a Spurs performance so devoid of skill and intent since the season we went down.

Utter, utter crap. 
    I watched the whole match and I'm kind of surprised how lack lustre it was inc the crowd - But equally I think the points gained, be it CL or PL, have outperformed the actual performance on the pitch , so far this season - They were lucky to get a win v Leeds and even a draw would have barely been worthy - But credit for having to come from behind, so many times this season, but sooner or later it will catch up with you - Conte can't keep going to the board, Oliver Twist style and beg for more - Sooner or later they have to look at a proactive game plan on the pitch 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Conte always said that it would take four or five transfer windows to sort the team out, but many fans have forgotten that and expect us to buy every player available regardless of cost. Unfortunately they also tend to make the noise.

I understand Conte's plan, but there's something fundamentally wrong when we go behind in every game, spend half of our time in possession going sideways and backwards and, when we finally do go forward we do it with glacial speed. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    If Forest can turn it around then it will be the perfect weekend for Arsenal. 

Come on Forest! 

Can’t really believe how the league looks at the moment. 

Still not counting my chickens but I’m enjoying it while it lasts! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    joneve said:

agree with you guys about Arsenal and 'suffering' - Will have Man U fans on next talking about suffering - Come and support Leeds and I'll show you some suffering 
    Without wishing to turn this into a Monty Python sketch, you want to try going to Brentford for the last forty odd years.   Thirty years of misery (losing a league two home game to Morecambe in 2007 being the lowest possible point), followed by half a dozen great years in the championship and then two years in the prem.  

Wouldn’t change any of it though.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Without wishing to turn this into a Monty Python sketch, you want to try going to Brentford for the last forty odd years.   Thirty years of misery (losing a league two home game to Morecambe in 2007 being the lowest possible point), followed by half a dozen great years in the championship and then two years in the prem.  

I see all that lot and raise you my home town Luton. A mainstay of the top division in my youth, we dropped so far we ended up in Non-league football for 5 years! Very happy with where we are again now, currently 5th in the Championship! I honestly didn't think I'd ever see them that high up again!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    axisus said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

I see all that lot and raise you my home town Luton. A mainstay of the top division in my youth, we dropped so far we ended up in Non-league football for 5 years! Very happy with where we are again now, currently 5th in the Championship! I honestly didn't think I'd ever see them that high up again!
    Love Kenilworth Road mate - one of my best away games ever was in the FA Cup in 2005.  Brentford won 2-0 and the away end was crazy that day - the home fans right next to us were bang up for it, too.  A proper saucy atmos. 

Always seemed a bit harsh the way the club was treated by the FA/FL when then financial stuff reared it’s head.  It’s always the fans that suffer the most in those situations. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    edited January 2023
    Hard to believe Utd’s position now after the horrific start to the season. 4 pts behind City and 2 pts off Newcastle with a game in hand. 

The squad is a little thin though to maintain top 4 I think. But a cup should be possible. 

Great to see ETH has got Utd playing exciting football again. Haaland aside, Casimiro is the signing of the summer IMO, considering how much he improves that team. 

I predicted Arsenal would challenge for the title this year after their amazing summer window and that Liverpool would struggle without Mane and their aging team. My brother, a Liverpool fan (so thinks he knows everything about football) laughed at me and said City and Liverpool would be miles ahead of everyone. Goes without saying I am enjoying this season. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks Forest! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    a well earned point and haven't Chelsea gone off the boil under Potter (they looked clueless in large parts of the game)
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    Would have been 3 points if we’d not sat back so much in the 1st half. Chelsea’s goal was one of the luckiest if seen in a while, and we looked good for all 3 points in the 2nd half (and perhaps more importantly, we actually looked like a premier league team at times!).

Something similar to that on Wednesday against Saints and we might get our first away win of the season! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Barnezy said:
    Hard to believe Utd’s position now after the horrific start to the season. 4 pts behind City and 2 pts off Newcastle with a game in hand. 

The squad is a little thin though to maintain top 4 I think. But a cup should be possible. 

Great to see ETH has got Utd playing exciting football again. Haaland aside, Casimiro is the signing of the summer IMO, considering how much he improves that team. 

Agree on Casemiro, we have a good record when he has started.  He gives the defensive much more protection and makes some great forward passes.  Doesn’t need to sit on the ball either, his quick passes speed us up.  Been screaming for a decent DM for years, why we waited so long who knows.

I think top 4 is possible, but not sure there are enough goals in the team without signing a striker.  Also quality drops off pretty quick if we lose Eriksson, Bruno or Casemiro.    

That said ETH has done a good job adapting the defense with Shaw replacing Martinez.  Not a great reflection on Maguire but it has worked.  May be he can do something similar in midfield if required now we are playing more as a team.   
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    a well earned point and haven't Chelsea gone off the boil under Potter (they looked clueless in large parts of the game)
    Serves them right. Stupid decision to sack Tuchel.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    Yep, but I’m not complaining : )

joneve said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    Would have been 3 points if we’d not sat back so much in the 1st half. Chelsea’s goal was one of the luckiest if seen in a while, and we looked good for all 3 points in the 2nd half (and perhaps more importantly, we actually looked like a premier league team at times!).

Something similar to that on Wednesday against Saints and we might get our first away win of the season! 
    I only saw the 2nd half but you were definitely pushing them. 

They woke up in the last 5 mins but never really looked like scoring.