Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Seriously?  The guy has just scored 2 goals for his country and has an MBE for making sure poor malnourished kids get decent meals.
    I don’t give a fuck if he sings or not.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Isn't Darren Grimes a right leaning agitator who got fired from GB news?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Boromedic said:
    Isn't Darren Grimes a right leaning agitator who got fired from GB news?
    One guy is representing his country under a lot of pressure, although yes it's only football, and the other guy is a snivelling little idiot. Most of the anti Rashford crowd are just racists. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited November 2022
    Oh he's definitely a c**t like, no time for him at all. (Grimes not Rashford)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

Gakpo would be great and we were after him in the summer.  But this is classic Man U, don’t buy him when he’s slightly under the radar, wait until he has a great world cup, doubles in value and everybody wants him.
    I have this issue with many big 'rich clubs' - Their is no skill buying the likes of Van Dijk from Soton for 75 million - It just means you have more money - The skill is having a good scouting policy that means you acquire them for bugger all, aka Celtic, then Soton - But often the bigger clubs want instant success and don't want to develop over a season or so and bed them in

Ajax are probably the best, or one of the best in adapting such a policy of buy low and sell high 
  • @menamestom exactly. Nobody knows what goes through someone's head before a game. He could be humming the anthem, concentrating etc. But all the comments seem  to know exactly why he wasn't belting it out. And yeah, they're from racist pricks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Seriously, what's with Foden's haircut?? At best I'd call it weird. Also Rice is looking like some kind of mushroom!

Just to give balance, most people think I have a twattish hair style these days!
  • axisus said:
    Seriously, what's with Foden's haircut?? At best I'd call it weird. Also Rice is looking like some kind of mushroom!

Just to give balance, most people think I have a twattish hair style these days!
    Rice is a beautiful man. Check yourself. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    axisus said:

Rice is a beautiful man. Check yourself. 
    Lol. That made me chuckle. 

We’ve got Benny Blanco, the Love Island Maldini! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited November 2022
    Seriously?  The guy has just scored 2 goals for his country and has an MBE for making sure poor malnourished kids get decent meals.
    Singing the anthem is scientifically proven to make the footballers play better; it has something to do with how it gets the blood pumping.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    Seriously?  The guy has just scored 2 goals for his country and has an MBE for making sure poor malnourished kids get decent meals.
    Singing the anthem is scientifically proven to make the footballers play better; it has something to do with how it gets the blood pumping.
    Is that why England always do so well in tournaments over the decades then
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    When are people going to wake up to the fact that football clubs at the top level are businesses. Those who go to the games are customers. The use of ‘we’ when referring to the team you follow is inaccurate unless you own shares in the club. 

I am a customer of the supermarket chain Dunnes Stores but I don’t tell people that we have a good price on turkeys this Christmas. 

Football clubs no longer have fans since they became businesses. It is perfectly fine to be a customer of a football club but it is wrong to associate being a customer and the use of ‘we’ when talking or writing about the club. 

Somebody, a few pages back, described my earlier comments on football club ownership, and I am paraphrasing the post, as the most stupid post ever written. Wake up guys, your ‘local’ professional football club is not what it was at the end of World War 1.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited December 2022
    Rocker said:
    When are people going to wake up to the fact that football clubs at the top level are businesses. Those who go to the games are customers. The use of ‘we’ when referring to the team you follow is inaccurate unless you own shares in the club. 

I am a customer of the supermarket chain Dunnes Stores but I don’t tell people that we have a good price on turkeys this Christmas. 

Football clubs no longer have fans since they became businesses. It is perfectly fine to be a customer of a football club but it is wrong to associate being a customer and the use of ‘we’ when talking or writing about the club. 

Somebody, a few pages back, described my earlier comments on football club ownership, and I am paraphrasing the post, as the most stupid post ever written. Wake up guys, your ‘local’ professional football club is not what it was at the end of World War 1.

Rocker said:
    I hardly think that CR7 is stressed financially so his choice of club will be one that plays in the manner that suits him. 

I don’t see why MU supporters get so upset about the Glaziers owning the club. They invested in the club and are entitled to reap the rewards of such an investment. The running of the club is delegated to the local board and the manager. If the supporters want the Glaziers ‘out’, there is nothing stopping them from forming a supporters organisation, organising finance and buying the club from the owners. 

It was me who described your previous post (further quoted above) as ridiculous. It was ridiculous then and is ridiculous now. I didn't describe it as 'the most stupid post ever written'. Telemaster subsequently referred to Rashford's second goal on Monday as 'great' so you've been trumped on that, I'm afraid.

Universally, fans will say 'we' when referring to their club. Your suggestion that we're not in fact fans and we shouldn't use the word 'we' suggests you're on a mission to out-ridiculous your previous post.

I'm guessing that your next post might suggest that all football clubs are actually made of cheese.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Rocker said:

What the fuck are you on about? (Please don't feel the need to respond!)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    What a goal last night by Rashford - Man U v Burnely  - Messi style solo run from around the 1/2 way line
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    What a goal last night by Rashford - Man U v Burnely  - Messi style solo run from around the 1/2 way line
    They were two superb goals for Man U! Wan Bissaka's assist was incredible as well. The team is definitely on the way up now, finally getting a good manager after 10 years. And thank goodness Ronaldo has pissed off.

I'm still a bit annoyed that Rashford wasn't picked to start vs France. Oh well, water under the bridge now. 

The Prem is such a good league, so hard to guess which teams will make the top 4 this season. Although City 'seem' like the best team on paper, to have such a scrap up top is amazing.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I'm really not thrilled that United have found form just before we play them next week :D 

HOWEVER, Forest also seem to have turned a corner, so will be interesting to see if we can hang with one of the big boys next week....it was "only" Blackburn, but a dominant 4-1 performance last night and players who looked lost early in the season are now firing and the link up play is starting to work. 

Colour me optimistic for the second half of the season (and a win on NYD against Chelsea would be nice, since I'm making the trip up) 
    tFB Trader
    Before Man City kick off v Leeds a day or so later, Arsenal could be 8 points clear - I know that doesn't mean the end of the season and job done - Plus Arsenal have to re-start where they left off - But a strong position to be in

Will be interesting for a few teams, like Newcastle, will they push on after a long lay off - Kind of like a new start to the season so no momentum as such

Next round of PL games are all on Amazon
  • Before Man City kick off v Leeds a day or so later, Arsenal could be 8 points clear - 
    We'll see. COYI!
    tFB Trader
    Before Man City kick off v Leeds a day or so later, Arsenal could be 8 points clear - 
    We'll see. COYI!
    I noticed they play you  - I think we play you early mid Jan as well - Not looked at all the dates yet - 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Calm down @CHRISB50 and @hattigol, my posts on this discussion are only windups. This topic worked well on dry land and I was keen to try it out online. 

Have a Merry Christmas guys and enjoy the football games. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    Good news for Brentford fans with Frank signing an extended deal - Looks like a good guy, who is not part of the 'supa elite' brigade
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Good news for Brentford fans with Frank signing an extended deal - Looks like a good guy, who is not part of the 'supa elite' brigade

Very good news but the cyninc in me thinks it's so that Brentford get a good payoff when he's poached by a larger club, which will surely happen before long.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I liked him until earlier in the season. Came across like a right smug wanker. :D 

Good for Brentford though as seems like he’s doing a great job. 
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Rocker said:

What the fuck are you on about? (Please don't feel the need to respond!)

Football clubs at the top level are businesses. This Barcelona "mas que un club" bollox etc....
  • They are all businesses, regardless of level. But that doesn't mean I can't treat my club as more than that. 

To me my club is the local pub before the game, singing songs with all the other fans, and the dirty burger just before the game. Seeing someone in the supermarket also with a West Ham top and giving him a nod. It's the people I sit near in the stands, it's the shared experience of getting to a Europa cup semi and losing because one of your most loyal servants gave away a stupid penalty and got sent off, and then going into work the next day and seeing your mate nearly in tears.

Yes it's a business, but to me it's much more than that. Merry Xmas. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Back in action vs West Ham tonight, I don't hold much faith in Nketiah filling in for Jesus but we have to play the boy and see how he fares. The goalscoring burden will have to be shared between him, Saka and Martinelli, and even Odegaard needs to step up a bit. White will probably carry on as RB as he's played well there, though I'd prefer him with Saliba as a centre-back partnership as Gabriel has a concentration issue and is prone to making costly errors.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Once again we didn't turn up for the first half but nearly pulled off a win at Brentford.

I think it's time that Conte moved his half-time bollocking to become part of his pre-match routine. 
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1042
    Watched Leicester vs Newcastle on Amazon Prime.
    A Good win for Newcastle, carrying on where they left off before the WC.

I had to LOL at some of the chants eg Jamie Vardy, your lass is a grass

tFB Trader
    Just found out his full name is Ivan Benjamin Elijah Toney - In short that is IBET - Seriously you couldn’t make it up
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter