Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Obviously I’m biased, but I fail to see the logic in not giving Ivan Toney a go.   He’s the natural replacement for Harry Kane.  Callum Wilson’s knees have the consistency of a cadburys flake.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDavies said:
    Obviously I’m biased, but I fail to see the logic in not giving Ivan Toney a go.   He’s the natural replacement for Harry Kane.  Callum Wilson’s knees have the consistency of a cadburys flake.  
    I know he's good but I don't feel like he would walk into any team like Kane would. After Kane goes we are buggered for strikers who we know will get a goal in most international games. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    I really didnt understand putting Tony in the last squad & not giving him any minutes.

To be fair I would probably prefer Wilson to play, but in reality Kane is going to play all of every game anyway.

I just hope Southgate plays an attacking mid instead of leaving a huge hole there and expect Kane to make something out of nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I have said so in the past, an international football manager picks the team members who will play the setup and strategy he thinks will be successful. Marquee names are all well and good but are of no use if they play a different game from the managers thinking. 

In the case of smaller nations, the manager chooses the best inform players and decides on tactics depending on who is fit and available for selection. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited November 2022
    @joneve   in watching the palace v forest game and must say not matter what the result (it’s a shit game ), I’m really disappointed in the way a lot of your players are trying to get our lot booked - Yates especially is an absolute arse. Continually holding their faces , initiating contact then going down like they’ve been shot etc 

Its a shame as the romantic in me always wants the clubs coming up to do well but if this is your approach every week I can’t get behind them at all
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited November 2022
    @joneve   in watching the palace v forest game and must say not matter what the result (it’s a shit game ), I’m really disappointed in the way a lot of your players are trying to get our lot booked - Yates especially is an absolute arse. Continually holding their faces , initiating contact then going down like they’ve been shot etc 

Its a shame as the romantic in me always wants the clubs coming up to do well but if this is your approach every week I can’t get behind them at all
    Zaha does nothing but fall over like he’s been hit by a car, so they aren’t exactly Angels. You make it sound like Forest are the only team that do stuff like that (can’t say I notice it loads to be honest, and only saw the first half today)

• joneve said:

Zaha does nothing but fall over like he’s been hit by a car, so they aren’t exactly Angels. You make it sound like Forest are the only team that do stuff like that (can’t say I notice it loads to be honest, and only saw the first half today)

Don’t get me wrong , if Zaha feels contact he goes over but 2 or 3 of your blokes today were going down holding their heads after literally being brushed by players at chest level . 

We didn’t deserve to win though so not sour grapes , just disappointed that such a respected coach condones that sort of play acting   
    joneve said:

Don’t get me wrong , if Zaha feels contact he goes over but 2 or 3 of your blokes today were going down holding their heads after literally being brushed by players at chest level . 

We didn’t deserve to win though so not sour grapes , just disappointed that such a respected coach condones that sort of play acting   
    To be fair, I think the whole squad is still finding their place in the league and learning how to play premier league football, and after such a torrid start and the team drained of confidence we are trying to claw back by any means possible I think. Yates is an absolute work horse and not really his MO; he usually just nips and bosses his opposition about winding them up. 

Now we’ve managed to finish the first part of the season on a positive and now we have a 6 week pre season, I think you’ll see a different team after the break. 

As a side note, After all the talking heads moaning about us over paying, I’m confident that Gibbs White was worth every penny. 
  • joneve said:
    joneve said:

To be fair, I think the whole squad is still finding their place in the league and learning how to play premier league football, and after such a torrid start and the team drained of confidence we are trying to claw back by any means possible I think. Yates is an absolute work horse and not really his MO; he usually just nips and bosses his opposition about winding them up. 

Now we’ve managed to finish the first part of the season on a positive and now we have a 6 week pre season, I think you’ll see a different team after the break. 

As a side note, After all the talking heads moaning about us over paying, I’m confident that Gibbs White was worth every penny. 
    Gibbs white looked good , Linguard also was a nuisance as was some Swiss fella running from deep a lot 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

Gibbs white looked good , Linguard also was a nuisance as was some Swiss fella running from deep a lot 
    Since he didn’t get picked for England earlier in the week, Lingard has looked a completely different player…before Wednesday against spurs, he’s been awful. The Swiss lad, Freuler, is known as the conductor by the Atalanta fans apparently. He’s another who has played below par most of the season but finally finding his way. 

Just all seems to be finally coming together. 

Biggest surprise for me had been Aurier at right back. Absolute baller. 
    On another note, the referee was absolutely atrocious in the first half. Gave a penalty but doesn’t card Worrall for the foul? How is it a penalty if he’s not carded.

Then 2 minutes to decide then penalty and 4-5 minutes where your defender was down injured….1minute added time. 

Premier league officials are Just making it up as they go along
  • joneve said:
    On another note, the referee was absolutely atrocious in the first half. Gave a penalty but doesn’t card Worrall for the foul? How is it a penalty if he’s not carded.

Then 2 minutes to decide then penalty and 4-5 minutes where your defender was down injured….1minute added time. 

Premier league officials are Just making it up as they go along
    Yep agree, really poor performance from him
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited November 2022

Lol - Palace are a bunch of hackers, they dont need more excuses to play the man rather than the ball! 

James McArthur Tackle on Bukayo Saka ! A RED Card Foul ? VAR Failed again ! - YouTube

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    The Geordie Sportwashers are celebrating tonight - was a good battle in last few minutes though!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    @guitars4you I hope you didn't take it too hard today 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Easy work today. Looking forward to ISAK and Kuol new year. Shame there are no geordies on here much. Nice to see the man u, spurs, chelski brigade nice and quiet across forums and social media. But Jealousy does that i guess. Think we have spent 200m in 2022. Chelski prob spent that on staff coffee, ciabattas, and parking tickets.
    TBH getting a bit boring week in week out now for NUFC fans. Leicester away boxing day presents some challenges. Not sure we win that one. A shame liverpool where they are. A similar club to nufc where it is a religion more than a sport. Think that fixture remains our toughest game and see them top 4.
    Howe a true proven turd polisher. Everyone knows what they are doing and now a club that is the most attractive club for young players, arguably in europe. Did i say Isak and kuol in 2023?

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Is Potter heading for the sack?  He probably would've been in the Abramovich days.
  • Will he go before Moyes? 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Got to love this BBC headline   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62619646

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Which league has the most players going to the world cup?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Has anyone who was born in Lincoln played for England?
  • A surprisingly good day today at the Hawthorns, still plenty of time for it to happen but I'm starting to believe we might not be relegated, possibly.

A terrific goal from our young striker Brandon Thomas-Asante, poached from Salford for about £300k and he looks to be an absolute steal. We've only had Karlan Grant as a striker for a couple of seasons, because our other striker Dike seems to be made of crisps, and the difference is night and day. Never stops running, he's getting stronger and the ball isn't bouncing off him as much lately. Definitely deserved his stunner of a goal today
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ground out that win, not the best performance by far but these are the sorts of games you gotta win if you're going to challenge at the top. Bit shit to see Xhaka go off so early, think he had a dodgy stomach or something. He's been key for us with Partey in the midfield. Class dink by Vieira for the first goal. Good composure from Odegaard to slot home the 2nd. 

Still think we need a 25-goal-per season striker. Jesus has good spirit and endeavour but I don't think he can score that many, and when he's not scoring who else will?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Never expected us to be top, let alone five points clear at Christmas. 

What a season so far. 

Ho ho ho. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Got to love this BBC headline   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62619646

must have played on the wing,   good with the cross
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:

must have played on the wing,   good with the cross
    Let's hope he redeems himself. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:

What a season so far. 

Ho ho ho. 
    Before Citeh play again you could be 8 points clear - It is not as though you are just nicking the odd draw either - Probably other than the game v Leeds you've been the better side and deserved the 3 points each time 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    @guitars4you I hope you didn't take it too hard today 
    Well there is no such thing as a credible defeat - You either win/loose or draw - We probably deserved a draw - How Kane's goal was allowed to stand though is a pill that is hard to swallow - I know keepers can get to much protection at time but that was just blatant 

At times, is there a more exciting match to watch other than when Leeds are involved - 22 goals in the last 4 matches, inc 3 times a late winner, - That leaky defence of ours ensures a rollercoaster ride - What's that old story about trying to shore up the defence with a finger in the dyke (Google that now and I'd be worried about what would come up) - It is almost as though attack is our best form of defence - Certainly naive defending on our part for some of the goals yesterday 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    CHRISB50 said:

What a season so far. 

Ho ho ho. 
    Before Citeh play again you could be 8 points clear - It is not as though you are just nicking the odd draw either - Probably other than the game v Leeds you've been the better side and deserved the 3 points each time 
    Yes. Leeds we nicked it. Southampton we couldn’t get over the line but got away with it a bit there too. 

Hope we get through the WC without any major injuries. We still don’t have enough depth in the squad. 

Apparently we’re investing in Jan but it always tends to be difficult bringing in new players in over Christmas. I’d imagine the WC will make it even harder. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to