Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    That Arsenal kit is frigging awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 5-star performance from us today. I'm happy for Nelson to get 2 goals and finally get his chance in the team. He's been in and out and not really had a decent chance. Saka can't play every game and needs a rest every now and then so if Reiss can stay fit and challenge a bit it'll help the two lads share the workload.

Everyone else was exceptional, Partey is really that Rolls Royce midfielder, Xhaka is playing out of his skin and Martinelli looks so sharp. Took his goal today well. Gabriel at the back is the only liability, passing the ball straight to Lingard and almost being punished. White - Saliba might be a better central defensive partnership with Tomiyasu and Tierney in the full-back positions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Nice of Klopp to offer even a slight hint of praise to Leeds for their endeavour last night 
    Astonishing. The least graceful loser in the history of losing!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    ennspek said:
    Nice of Klopp to offer even a slight hint of praise to Leeds for their endeavour last night 
    He has that image as a big affable jolly chap, always smiling and hugging the players... but when things don't go well he's quite a nasty piece of work.  I'm not sure there's any direct link, but he seems to have become much more unpleasant since he stopped wearing glasses.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    ennspek said:
    I've got Arsene Wenger on line 2 for you...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I still think mourinho was worse than klopp 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    axisus said:
    Klopp is definitely the worst ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    ennspek said:
    axisus said:
    Klopp is definitely the worst ever.
    Klopp has a quite overblown persecution complex. Nothing is his fault, everything is due to someone else cheating or rule-bending. His graceless performance if ever anyone dares beat his team is admittedly consistent but nonetheless thoroughly reprehensible.

He speaks quite well, it's just a shame that so much of it is paranoid bollocks. 
  • Didn't Klopp lose his sh1t a few weeks ago.. I dont think the team has recovered from watching him capitulate in that manner..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Interesting how Klopp did not get a touch line ban for his red card - Despite serious venom flying towards the official 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Great Prem season so far. Newcastle going well, but Arsenal on an absolute blinder so far. Can they win the Prem!?! As I've said before, this year for me is 'anyone but City' so I kind of how ye. Once again it shows that you need a bit of 'magic' to happen with a team, when they all gel together and step up a few gears. Liverpool had it for a couple of seasons, Leicester had it when they won. You can't coach it, it just has to maybe happen when the cards are right.

I'm so happy to see Man U looking their best for a loooong time. Really happy with Martinez, Casimero and Eriksen, good potential from Antony and Garnacho, de Gea back on great form. We just need to get rid of Ronaldo really. He's still a great player just not right for Man U now.
  • Good win vs Chelsea earlier. Showed grit and maturity, this team are really showing some resilience that we haven't had in recent years. We were the better side today and should have scored more. Ben White should be in the England squad ahead of Maguire for the World Cup.

Great start for Emery as well vs Utd. Hope he does well there (just not against us).
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    F ***, West Ham against Brighton and Crystal Palace is ALWAYS a stress.  Bloomin extra time … aaaarggggg, could have been in 10th today
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
      Particularly sweet to see man u lose to villa, and liverpool do spurs in their backyard today like NUFC did a week or so ago. But tbh, i didnt expect anything else. Cant see chelsea beating us at home next week. 4-1 on an admittedly mediocre performance today is all good sauce, to compliment the stats below.
    Not just money doing this, but sensible fresh buys. Think the defence was sorted for under £20m. Everyone working hard to maintain their place and half the team from bruce era, including alimron.

Howay the f***ing Lads.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • sev112 said:
    F ***, West Ham against Brighton and Crystal Palace is ALWAYS a stress.  Bloomin extra time … aaaarggggg, could have been in 10th today
    Moyes could be gone if he loses the next one. I don't want him out but I think it is inevitably going to happen at some point. None of these players seem to be bedding in well and some of the substitutions were baffling. Bennie was our only bright point and he took him off. Soucek was cheered off the pitch, as in, glad he's off. 

It's becoming a bit toxic at the London. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112 said:
    Moyes could be gone if he loses the next one. I don't want him out but I think it is inevitably going to happen at some point. None of these players seem to be bedding in well and some of the substitutions were baffling. Bennie was our only bright point and he took him off. Soucek was cheered off the pitch, as in, glad he's off. 

I’m a Palace fan so the fact West Ham didn’t really turn up suited me fine . I was surprised at your comment re Moyes though, do the fans want him gone or would it be the owners ?

As a non West Ham fan is it too simplistic to say you are playing in Europe and the prem without a big enough squad especially up front ?
  • sev112 said:

I’m a Palace fan so the fact West Ham didn’t really turn up suited me fine . I was surprised at your comment re Moyes though, do the fans want him gone or would it be the owners ?

As a non West Ham fan is it too simplistic to say you are playing in Europe and the prem without a big enough squad especially up front ?
    Many fans are screaming for him to go and to be replaced with someone like Tuchel. They feel like Moyes has a limit to his talents, like Southgate and it is inevitable that he will be sacked so just get it over and done with.

I'm half in, half out of that camp. I don't think he should go now, and I think he's earned some patience. But I do think there's a limit to his talents.

It is too simplistic. We have a larger squad now and bought a lot of players this year. We can rotate much more effectively and have players who can play in multiple positions, but none of them (except Kehrer I'd say) have settled in the way we'd expect. Is it the players, injuries, is it the manager, the system? I don't know.

Things aren't going right even though we're playing well at times, and it needs to be sorted out. Beating farmers in the group stages of a competition is not the progress £200m should bring. We were playing much better last year with a much smaller squad! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    edited November 2022
    Did I see the Wally with the brolly in the Man Utd dugout?

• sev112 said:

Many fans are screaming for him to go and to be replaced with someone like Tuchel. They feel like Moyes has a limit to his talents, like Southgate and it is inevitable that he will be sacked so just get it over and done with.

I'm half in, half out of that camp. I don't think he should go now, and I think he's earned some patience. But I do think there's a limit to his talents.

It is too simplistic. We have a larger squad now and bought a lot of players this year. We can rotate much more effectively and have players who can play in multiple positions, but none of them (except Kehrer I'd say) have settled in the way we'd expect. Is it the players, injuries, is it the manager, the system? I don't know.

Things aren't going right even though we're playing well at times, and it needs to be sorted out. Beating farmers in the group stages of a competition is not the progress £200m should bring. We were playing much better last year with a much smaller squad! 
    Cheers TM, good to know . I’ve got quite a few west ham supporting mates so the background info is useful when I wind them up later (tbh I’m genuinely interested too)

• Quite predictable Man U losing at the weekend, a poor week all round. Top 4 looking less likely and a difficult Europa League play off to come.  Not enough goals in the team and the defence without Verane is not good enough.

Villa had the new manager effect and we probably had Thursday night hangover, but still, we reverted to the shite from the start of the season and last season.  Seems to be ingrained in the club. 

Good win for Villa though, and potentially the start of a decent new era. They looked a different team to be fair.
  • sev112 said:

Cheers TM, good to know . I’ve got quite a few west ham supporting mates so the background info is useful when I wind them up later (tbh I’m genuinely interested too)
    You're actually the only Palace fan I've ever come into contact with that I can remember! Your away support is very loud. 
  • Nitefly said:
    Did I see the Wally with the brolly in the Man Utd dugout?

yes, with Ten Haag being dutch, it makes sense to have an expert translator like McLaren around, especially one with experience of destroying the club, for sure.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Quite predictable Man U losing at the weekend, a poor week all round. Top 4 looking less likely and a difficult Europa League play off to come.  Not enough goals in the team and the defence without Verane is not good enough.

Villa had the new manager effect and we probably had Thursday night hangover, but still, we reverted to the shite from the start of the season and last season.  Seems to be ingrained in the club. 

Good win for Villa though, and potentially the start of a decent new era. They looked a different team to be fair.
    Yeah, it was a depressing loss but remember that this is still early days for the revived club and overall things are on the up. I have faith that we are on a better trajectory for the first time in a decade. 
  • axisus said:

Quite predictable Man U losing at the weekend, a poor week all round. Top 4 looking less likely and a difficult Europa League play off to come.  Not enough goals in the team and the defence without Verane is not good enough.

Yeah, it was a depressing loss but remember that this is still early days for the revived club and overall things are on the up. I have faith that we are on a better trajectory for the first time in a decade. 
    There have been positives, but we are exactly where we were last season after 13 games, 5th with 23 points.  Goal difference is the same as well at -1.

200+ million spent.  Newcastle have a new manager and have spent half as much and seem to be moving forward very well.

Early days and I will return to being positive but yesterday was very deflating.  We need Varane to fit mount a top 4 challenge and not having Bruno yesterday hurt us.  VDB hasn’t had the game time to make an impact and ultimately failed yesterday as no.10.  But onwards an upwards hopefully!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Scummers fired hassenhutel and chasing Luton Town manager. Fans I have spoken to seem to want Gerrard. 
  • munckee said:
    Scummers fired hassenhutel and chasing Luton Town manager. Fans I have spoken to seem to want Gerrard. 
    Fans of Pompey you mean?  =)

Are you sure they don’t mean Gallardo, The River Plate manager?
    munckee said:
    Bummer, Nathan Jones has got Luton going well. Mind you he did bugger off and go to Stoke (why ???) instead of presiding over our fab double promotion run. Very few managers have that on their CV (and he ain’t one of them!)  A lot of Luton fans have not forgiven him. I hope he stays but I won’t be crying if he goes.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I have loved Ralph Hassenhutl ever since I learnt that his surname in English is Rabbit-hutch.

Ralph Rabbit-hutch.

Love it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    2 corking ties to look fwd to in the next round of European matches - Liverpool v Real Madrid and Man U v Barca

Then PSG v Bayern M

Something to look forward to in the new year
    tFB Trader
    10 sent off - Yes 10 red cards in one match - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63540624
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter