Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Ronaldo! 

I’d love to be a fly on the wall of the training ground this morning. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Ronaldo! 

You already know its bad  when billed as a wide ranging interview with Piers Morgan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited November 2022
    CHRISB50 said:
    Ronaldo! 

You already know its bad  when billed as a wide ranging interview with Piers Morgan.

I guess this is his way of making sure he’s out the door in January. 

I think it shows a distinct lack of class on his part. No one is bigger than the club. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Ronaldo! 

I think his performances this had seen to that anyway.  I doubt he’d be saying this if he’s taken his chances, but he’s been way off the pace.
    Not sure what his options are now, there will be lucrative ones but not particularity good sporting ones.  He already tried to push for those in the summer but nobody wanted him at the price he demands.

Ironic talking about a lack of respect for ETH, when the first thing he had to deal with was a Ronaldo flounce and push for a move.

I don’t think he’s a loss to the club anyway now, we desperately need a decent striker and Ronaldo’s £500k a week will go a long way to funding one.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Ronaldo! 

yes something to really look forward to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Ronaldo! 

I think it shows a distinct lack of class on his part. No one is bigger than the club. 
    I'm sure he has had a bunch of agents and hangers on around him since he was 17 blowing smoke up his arse to the point where he probably does think he is bigger than the club. I bet he genuinely feels betrayed as he has no perspective.

All imho of course
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Philly_Q said:
    Is Potter heading for the sack?  He probably would've been in the Abramovich days.
    Will he go before Moyes? 
    Nah, next for the sack is Lampard!
    Ronaldo proving once again that he is a monumental narcissistic egotistical bell-end. The sooner he goes the better. He is the ultimate spoiled child, he thinks that the whole world revolves around him. He may be high on the list of greatest players ever, but he is selfish, self centred, self important, arrogant, conceited, hubristic and vain. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out, or let it, i don't care.

Ungrateful, over-the-hill arrogant git. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Other players consider those playing alongside them as team-mates. Ronaldo seems to consider them to be staff. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Ronaldo proving once again that he is a monumental narcissistic egotistical bell-end. The sooner he goes the better. He is the ultimate spoiled child, he thinks that the whole world revolves around him. He may be high on the list of greatest players ever, but he is selfish, self centred, self important, arrogant, conceited, hubristic and vain. 
    Can't knock his ability, success, influence etc over the years - But I've felt that it has always been more about 'me' than the team - The goal celebrations always have that 'I go to strut my body while you salute me' about him and "I know what you are thinking and yes I agree with you that I'm special' - In comparison look at Messi and the goal celebration is always him going to his team mates
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/14/jesse-lingard-nobody-really-knew-about-my-struggles-were-all-human

great article on Jesse Lingard as a supplement to the documentary that's being aired tomorrow night on Channel 4. 

Turns out money can't buy you happiness....but I'm sure he definitely still only chose Forest over West Ham due to the fictitious £200k a week. :) 

Nice to see him finally find some form before the WC break - seems to be playing with more freedom - hopefully it can continue to the end of the season. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is Potter heading for the sack?  He probably would've been in the Abramovich days.
    Will he go before Moyes? 
    Jesse could get his Marsching orders...  ;)

joneve said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/14/jesse-lingard-nobody-really-knew-about-my-struggles-were-all-human

great article on Jesse Lingard as a supplement to the documentary that's being aired tomorrow night on Channel 4. 

Turns out money can't buy you happiness....but I'm sure he definitely still only chose Forest over West Ham due to the fictitious £200k a week. :) 

Nice to see him finally find some form before the WC break - seems to be playing with more freedom - hopefully it can continue to the end of the season. 
    You have to feel for him reading that. Society puts top flight footballers on a pedestal, not everyone is cut out for that kind of scrutiny. Then again, a LOT of young people have a depressing life, no real prospects and no money. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited November 2022
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

Turns out money can't buy you happiness....but I'm sure he definitely still only chose Forest over West Ham due to the fictitious £200k a week.  

You have to feel for him reading that. Society puts top flight footballers on a pedestal, not everyone is cut out for that kind of scrutiny. Then again, a LOT of young people have a depressing life, no real prospects and no money. 
    I'd say that part of it comes from achieving what you've always wanted in life and then realising that you still aren't happy. Sometimes when you are depressed you can put it down to your circumstances and see a light at the end of the tunnel if you make some changes.  if you are living what for most would be a dream life and are still unhappy you beat yourself up over it which makes things worse
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nitefly said:
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Will he go before Moyes? 
    Jesse could get his Marsching orders...  ;)

I think we could see a domino effect....
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 45
    Utd should have bitten the bullet in the summer and let Ronaldo go. He’s not been up to par this season and looks half a yard off the pace and his attitude is clearly poor. Shame it ends like this. I thought his experience and attitude would galvanise the club when he arrived. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Courtesy of the brilliant NewsThump:

BREAKING! Egotistical twat who always wants to make everything about him, interviews Ronaldo
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited November 2022
    joneve said:
    Turns out money can't buy you happiness....but I'm sure he definitely still only chose Forest over West Ham due to the fictitious £200k a week.  
    Sorry to hear of his troubles and will always hope for the best for people. But in regards to his playing, regardless of how much he earns he still seems like he's earning too much. No goals, no assists. I really think all West Ham fans feel we dodged a bullet there.

• 88CuzJ said:
    Utd should have bitten the bullet in the summer and let Ronaldo go. He’s not been up to par this season and looks half a yard off the pace and his attitude is clearly poor. Shame it ends like this. I thought his experience and attitude would galvanise the club when he arrived. 
    I can't say anything I've heard is untrue. Don't they have an ancient, out of date training facility and a stadium that I s very old and needs lots of repairs? There does seem to have been extremely poor recruitment summed up with the baffling decision to hire Ole who was clearly not up to the job, followed by Rangnick who none of them were aware of. 

Seems they finally got it right though. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    They do have an aging training facilities, he isn’t lying about that.  I don’t think anyone is calling him a liar.  

The problem is he is being disrespectful.  He talks about respect, but he is showing none.  He speaks about poor recruitment, he is also included in that list.

We all know what would happen if asked the question “What would Fergie do?”
  • He is showing disrespect that's true. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    Sorry to hear of his troubles and will always hope for the best for people. But in regards to his playing, regardless of how much he earns he still seems like he's earning too much. No goals, no assists. I really think all West Ham fans feel we dodged a bullet there.

He’s been involved in last 3 goals we’ve scored and could have scored 5 or 6 if not for some good goal keeping. Finally starting to look and play like he did when he was at West Ham. 

Genuinely believe he (and Lodi) we’re trying to hard to earn a World Cup spot and was ruining their game. Since squads were announced last week they’ve both looked like totally different players. 
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 45
    88CuzJ said:
    I can't say anything I've heard is untrue. Don't they have an ancient, out of date training facility and a stadium that I s very old and needs lots of repairs? There does seem to have been extremely poor recruitment summed up with the baffling decision to hire Ole who was clearly not up to the job, followed by Rangnick who none of them were aware of. 

Seems they finally got it right though. 

The facilities are known to be in need of an upgrade and the owners haven’t helped by not investing in the infrastructure. I think they’ve also pissed money up the wall on a lot of shite players too. 

Ole stayed one season too long. Should have got rid when he lost that final. That was a far as he could take that team. Although he didn’t do too badly overall. 

Rangnick was a daft appointment but maybe he was the only one willing to be another interim at the time.

ETH looks good so far. A modern manager and the players seem to have bought into what he’s trying to do (so far). All in all though Utd have a long way to go! Years of mismanagement and lack of investment is coming home to roost now. 
  • Saw the first half of this Ronaldo thing and I can't actually say I think it's that bad. Sure he comes across as a bit self important, and when he talks about how having all those followers makes him happy I was like yea that's not real validation pal. But the rest of it, not that bad.

He kind of comes across as disappointed with the whole thing, and didn't feel like the club supported him well after the death of his child. If his former colleagues are criticising him and he doesn't agree he's well within his rights to tell them to fuck off, even if he's wrong. 

I agree it's a poor decision but it's not as bad as has been made out. He doesn't come across extremely badly in my opinion and he hasn't gone all scorched earth or anything. 

What are your thoughts? 

Well Ronaldo is out of Man U. I for one am happy, he was never the future of the club.

I still think he's an egotistical jerk, but if the club didn't support him well over the death of the baby then that's very very poor indeed. 
  • Such a disappointing way to end his career at Man Utd. For what he's done in the game why does he have to behave like this, trying to force a move away? He knew he'd not be playing for Utd for 5-6 weeks during the World Cup so maybe he was planning to do it. Not many teams are going to want him now, I certainly don't want him at Arsenal. Arteta has a good team spirit now and if he turned up and stared throwing his toys out the pram what does that say to the likes of Saka, Martinelli etc. One rule for him another for someone else? Interested to see where he ends up.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I wonder how much cash changed hands - it would have been about £15m to buy him out of his remaining contract. 

Alternatively there might have been mention of gross misconduct or similar.

• Well whatever you think of Ronaldo, could it have been the final straw for the Glazers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63723992
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited November 2022
    If Carling did days for United fans, yesterday would be it.

Brilliant to see that petulant show-pony out of the club. Him giving lectures on respect and accusing other players of a lack of professionalism? It's like King Herod preaching about child-minding.

Legacy = destroyed. Good riddance.

And then the Glazers say they're willing to sell. Absolutely wonderful, wonderful news. 

CR7 was a hugely disruptive influence on the team and the Glazers have stymied the Club for years. Great to see both going.

You watch though, we'll probably get bought by bloody North Korea now... s
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis