Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Good fightback after being 1-0 at HT. Was initially worried we don't have that proven goalscorer as backup for Jesus. Still am to be fair. But the front three all scoring was a good thing and Odegaard pulling the strings. We're lucky on Jesus is injured at the moment. If Saka and Martinelli get injured for a long period we're in real trouble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited December 2022
    My team West Brom seem to have made a dash up the league, I think only three points off the playoffs now when we were bottom and hopeless not long ago. Now they actually have a manager and coach in place instead of Steve Bruce, god rest his legacy, they've won 6 out of the last 8. It's nice for us and all that but I can't help thinking it's because the league is actually a very poor quality league, as it was last season in fact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    NUFC are second in the table. So top 6 as predicted all those months ago looks like an ez job. Some nice fixtures coming up and cant wait to slam Man U at home in april. 
    Howah the lads.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swiller said:
    NUFC are second in the table. So top 6 as predicted all those months ago looks like an ez job. Some nice fixtures coming up and cant wait to slam Man U at home in april. 
    Howah the lads.
    I was looking forward to looking down my nose at NUFC this year . I expected them to spend loads of tainted Arab cash on high priced mercenaries and compete with Man City and Liverpool for every player worth having.

Instead they hired a great manager who doesn’t believe in paying up for superstars and instead coaches players to be the best they can be and buys wisely when he needs to:

I’d still rather their money come from elsewhere tbh but can’t fault them other than that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Good fightback after being 1-0 at HT. Was initially worried we don't have that proven goalscorer as backup for Jesus. Still am to be fair. But the front three all scoring was a good thing and Odegaard pulling the strings. We're lucky on Jesus is injured at the moment. If Saka and Martinelli get injured for a long period we're in real trouble.
    Watched the game, as a neutral - Very strong 2nd half performance and sounded like the crowd were up for it -1st half performance wasn't poor, just not on fire - But they look very handy and play with a nice style - The board have done well to stick with him as manager and let him build such a young team
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    scrumhalf said:
    Good news for Brentford fans with Frank signing an extended deal - Looks like a good guy, who is not part of the 'supa elite' brigade

Very good news but the cyninc in me thinks it's so that Brentford get a good payoff when he's poached by a larger club, which will surely happen before long.
    I don’t think Thomas would leave Brentford for anyone outside the top six, and I don’t think anyone in the top six would want Thomas.  
    But it will mean a bigger compo deal when the Danish FA come knocking for a replacement for Kaspar Hjulmand.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Good fightback after being 1-0 at HT. Was initially worried we don't have that proven goalscorer as backup for Jesus. Still am to be fair. But the front three all scoring was a good thing and Odegaard pulling the strings. We're lucky on Jesus is injured at the moment. If Saka and Martinelli get injured for a long period we're in real trouble.
    Watched the game, as a neutral - Very strong 2nd half performance and sounded like the crowd were up for it -1st half performance wasn't poor, just not on fire - But they look very handy and play with a nice style - The board have done well to stick with him as manager and let him build such a young team
    First half we played well. We were unlucky with the disallowed goal. They scored against the run of play. 

Very very similar to our first half performance against Juve in the friendly last week. 

Previous seasons the stadium would have gone silent and the players’ heads would go. 

2nd half we were brilliant. Crowd are definitely playing their part this season too. Great atmosphere. 

Good to see Arsene back in the stadium. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Moyes will be gone after we lose to Brentford. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Dyche. 
    tFB Trader
    Moyes will be gone after we lose to Brentford. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Dyche. 
    I was thinking about you when I was watching the match - Trying to figure out what is wrong - It doesn't look like a team that doesn't want to work for Moyes and has a poor attitude - Is it the game plan, formation, style of play, not enough adventure
  • Moyes will be gone after we lose to Brentford. Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Dyche. 
    I was thinking about you when I was watching the match - Trying to figure out what is wrong - It doesn't look like a team that doesn't want to work for Moyes and has a poor attitude - Is it the game plan, formation, style of play, not enough adventure
    We have the lowest, or one of the lowest amounts of pressing of any team in the Premier league. Football is about pressing now and that's it. We played past counter attacking football a couple of years ago which was a decent antidote to that at the time, and now they found out that if they counter press immediately they can get the ball back easily. Moyes refuses to change. The proof is not only in the actual football but in the articles he puts out where he talks about how a lack of pressing in the world cup is proof that his tactics are correct for the modern game. They're not. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-world-cup-for-the-golden-oldies-but-not-set-pieces-or-high-pressing-x0xpq2xhh

I can't blame the players. I can't blame Antonio for being who he has always been, shocking first touch, better second touch, clumsy, sometimes manages to buddle his way forward and sometimes manages to hit the target, he's always been like that. I can't blame Cresswell for getting old and getting absolutely run ragged by Saka, I can't blame Dawson for overperforming, I can't blame Benrahma for being style over substance, nothing new there, Paqueta for being played out of position, Bowen for getting marked out of the game because he's one dimensional, I can't blame Rice for playing his socks off. It's not them, it's the recruitment and the management style. You could get these players to press more effectively, play them in their best positions but if you don't you'll get schooled. 

It's inevitable now and Moyes will be gone in the next few games. We won't beat Brentford and that'll surely be him gone. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good fightback after being 1-0 at HT. Was initially worried we don't have that proven goalscorer as backup for Jesus. Still am to be fair. But the front three all scoring was a good thing and Odegaard pulling the strings. We're lucky only Jesus is injured at the moment. If Saka and Martinelli get injured for a long period we're in real trouble.
    The team would have folded and the crowd gone stale 3 years ago. There's some new-found spirit and grit now which had been missing in previous years. Now we don't panic when we go a goal behind.

Hope this team continues to grow together and go on to win something. Arteta has done a great job piecing it all together. It was always a long term project. Nice to see Arsene Wenger in the crowd too. His first time back since 2018 I think.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    They heard you, all 3 of them scored and Odegaard got 2 assists!
  • Good fightback after being 1-0 at HT. Was initially worried we don't have that proven goalscorer as backup for Jesus. Still am to be fair. But the front three all scoring was a good thing and Odegaard pulling the strings. We're lucky on Jesus is injured at the moment. If Saka and Martinelli get injured for a long period we're in real trouble.
    They heard you, all 3 of them scored and Odegaard got 2 assists!
    Ha yes. How Real Madrid let us have him for however much he cost I don't know. Bargain!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I see Deano has gone from Norwich. 

Who next in the Prem - will Potter get potted?  Will Rodgers get rogered?  Will Lampard get lamped?

;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nitefly said:
    I see Deano has gone from Norwich. 

Who next in the Prem - will Potter get potted?  Will Rodgers get rogered?  Will Lampard get lamped?

;) 
    Moyes will be moved on. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    No Gibbs-White tonight for Forest and might have to start our 3rd string keeper if Hennessey isn’t fit. Best not expect us to get anything and re-group for NYD. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Some tough guys up there in Newcastle. Saw a pic on the internet of some Newcastle supporters at yesterday’s game. One of them had taken his shirt off. On a day when a Barbour, scarf and gloves would be worn by just about everyone else. Yeah, those guys are tough.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Some tough guys up there in Newcastle. Saw a pic on the internet of some Newcastle supporters at yesterday’s game. One of them had taken his shirt off. On a day when a Barbour, scarf and gloves would be worn by just about everyone else. Yeah, those guys are tough.....
    It's beer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swiller said:
    Howah the lads.

I’m looking forward to that fixture also, as a United fan.  I thought we should have beat you at OT, although the game wasn’t exactly awash with chances.  We’re looking okay now but need a striker to get to the next level.

Newcastle looking great to be fair, definitely a different prospect playing you this season than previous.

Away will suit us better, we had too much of the ball at OT and don’t really have a decent CF as a focal point, so hoping the reverse we’ll get more chances to counter attack with pace.   (Or we will buy a decent striker in January).

• RIP Pele. What a legend. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited December 2022
    Anybody seen Alexis Lalas suggestions for how to improve football?  Basically lets turn football into a mash up of American sports that few other countries play.
  • RIP Pele. What a legend. 
    He really was...
    tFB Trader
    Good to hear - 1 min applause + black arm bands across all football fixtures this weekend/new year matches as a mark of respect for Pele
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Good to hear - 1 min applause + black arm bands across all football fixtures this weekend/new year matches as a mark of respect for Pele
    After Maradona, the greatest ever for me
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited December 2022 tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    After Maradona, the greatest ever for me
    Sorry - I disagree - I never saw Pele cheat on the pitch, take drugs, both social and enhancing, act like a thug and hang around with mafia bosses - That hand of god incident alone makes it hard for me  to give praise - I think I'd rather be spat at by Rijkaard, then cheated out of a match that way 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It pains me to say it but... Moyes has to go. Thanks for a year and a half of good football, but it's been shocking for a year now and you've been found out and you've lost the players.

That was the first time I've left a game at 70 mins for a long time. It's actually devastating. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It pains me to say it but... Moyes has to go. Thanks for a year and a half of good football, but it's been shocking for a year now and you've been found out and you've lost the players.

That was the first time I've left a game at 70 mins for a long time. It's actually devastating. 
    You did predict a loss v Brentford too. 
    Such a poor performance today by WHU. Shame, as they have potential to be in top 10. 
    Seems like it's time for Moyes to go indeed.

You did predict a loss v Brentford too. 
    Such a poor performance today by WHU. Shame, as they have potential to be in top 10. 
    Seems like it's time for Moyes to go indeed.
    I'm generally good at predicting football results actually. But yea, he's done. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    It pains me to say it but... Moyes has to go. Thanks for a year and a half of good football, but it's been shocking for a year now and you've been found out and you've lost the players.

I was genuinely surprised at how poor West Ham were last night - we won at a canter, really. 

Must be a bit galling seeing Antonio laughing and joking with the Brentford players at the final whistle, too.  

There are some easier fixtures for WHU on the horizon though… reckon Moyes might be given a chance to get through those and then see what happens. 
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    It pains me to say it but... Moyes has to go. Thanks for a year and a half of good football, but it's been shocking for a year now and you've been found out and you've lost the players.

I was genuinely surprised at how poor West Ham were last night - we won at a canter, really. 

Must be a bit galling seeing Antonio laughing and joking with the Brentford players at the final whistle, too.  

There are some easier fixtures for WHU on the horizon though… reckon Moyes might be given a chance to get through those and then see what happens. 
    Yes Leeds next - Both in big need of points - I was hoping to go but can't get tickets