Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited January 2023
    CHRISB50 said:
    joneve said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks Forest! 
    Would have been 3 points if we’d not sat back so much in the 1st half. Chelsea’s goal was one of the luckiest if seen in a while, and we looked good for all 3 points in the 2nd half (and perhaps more importantly, we actually looked like a premier league team at times!).

Something similar to that on Wednesday against Saints and we might get our first away win of the season! 
    I only saw the 2nd half but you were definitely pushing them. 

They woke up in the last 5 mins but never really looked like scoring. 
    They never tested Henderson once all game, despite plenty of possession in the 1st half. Their goal was a moment of luck after *Boly’s inadvertent heel flick ended up hitting the bar and falling to Sterling. I’m much more confident of our chances of staying up when we are performing like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    @TeleMaster - reports around LUFC area are that Sullivan has already interviewed Bielsa about replacing Moyes - Not sure if true or not 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joneve said:
    Great win vs Brighton, esp after City dropped points earlier vs Everton. Odegaard fantastic. Still can't believe he only cost £35m. Front 3 all scored again, 2 in 2 for Nketiah. Look like a real team now.

Are we in a title race? I don't know, despite the good form and confidence there is still a long long way to go and things can change along the way. I'll take 2nd/3rd spot right now. But a nice time to be an Arsenal fan esp after years and years of suffering.
    ‘Years and years of suffering’?? My heart bleeds for your two league titles and SEVEN FA Cups in the last 20 odd years. 

Referring to Wenger's last years at the club. It has been almost 20 years since we last won the league! Failure to sort out the defence and not replacing players sold on to Man City caused many years of upset and stress.
    I’m sorry but I’m with @joneve here - at least you’ve got a fairly recent history of winning stuff and chasing Europe every season !

Try supporting Palace (or pretty much any other club that’s lower premier and below) :-)
    Maybe suffering is not the right word here but since the invisibles season the team never got to the same levels as before and I had to sit and watch Chelsea, Utd and City all strengthen their teams and go onto win titles. As our teams got weaker and couldn't compete. That wasn't nice to watch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Great win vs Brighton, esp after City dropped points earlier vs Everton. Odegaard fantastic. Still can't believe he only cost £35m. Front 3 all scored again, 2 in 2 for Nketiah. Look like a real team now.

Are we in a title race? I don't know, despite the good form and confidence there is still a long long way to go and things can change along the way. I'll take 2nd/3rd spot right now. But a nice time to be an Arsenal fan esp after years and years of suffering.
    ‘Years and years of suffering’?? My heart bleeds for your two league titles and SEVEN FA Cups in the last 20 odd years. 

Referring to Wenger's last years at the club. It has been almost 20 years since we last won the league! Failure to sort out the defence and not replacing players sold on to Man City caused many years of upset and stress.
    I’m sorry but I’m with @joneve here - at least you’ve got a fairly recent history of winning stuff and chasing Europe every season !

Try supporting Palace (or pretty much any other club that’s lower premier and below) :-)
    Maybe suffering is not the right word here but since the invisibles season the team never got to the same levels as before and I had to sit and watch Chelsea, Utd and City all strengthen their teams and go onto win titles. As our teams got weaker and couldn't compete. That wasn't nice to watch.
    I know where you are coming from regarding your initial posting - And yes 'suffering' is the wrong word - I'm more than fine with the potential idea of Arsenal winning the PL - I don't dislike Citeh, or LFC, but think fresh winners is good for all - A Citeh monopoly is not good news - I recall when Citeh beat QPR with that late Aquero goal, I was ecstatic and could not wait to see the look on Fergie's face - At the time it was a fresh winner, so no issue at my end - No one has god's divine right to win the PL, so despite a few years in the wilderness, many current PL clubs have either never won it, (inc the old 1st Division) or will be waiting longer than you to win again - Spurs must be on the longest run, along with Newcastle, to win the league title again
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited January 2023
    @TeleMaster - reports around LUFC area are that Sullivan has already interviewed Bielsa about replacing Moyes - Not sure if true or not 
    Yea we interviewed him for the job when Bilic got it, but I don't know if it happened again. It would be exciting just because you know that it would be very attractive football.

Lots of people are hoping for Tuchel or Poch, but I just don't see them coming to a club that's teetering above the relegation zone at the mid point of the season. Especially after managing the likes of PSG and Chelsea, and having just won the Champions League a year ago n the case of Tuchel. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Come on the Bees! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Done feel so bad about getting smashed by Brentford now. They area very good side at the moment. 
    tFB Trader
    Cracking performance by Brentford - attack minded in the 1st half and unlucky not to get more - Dogged when required in the 2nd half - Not seen any press conference yet after the game, but can I assume Klopp was his usual full of praise and admiration for the Brentford boss, his team and their performance - hah hah - They should be safe now and they did it without Toney - Well done Bees fans
  • joneve said:

I know where you are coming from regarding your initial posting - And yes 'suffering' is the wrong word - I'm more than fine with the potential idea of Arsenal winning the PL - I don't dislike Citeh, or LFC, but think fresh winners is good for all - A Citeh monopoly is not good news - I recall when Citeh beat QPR with that late Aquero goal, I was ecstatic and could not wait to see the look on Fergie's face - At the time it was a fresh winner, so no issue at my end - No one has god's divine right to win the PL, so despite a few years in the wilderness, many current PL clubs have either never won it, (inc the old 1st Division) or will be waiting longer than you to win again - Spurs must be on the longest run, along with Newcastle, to win the league title again
    The same issues weren't being addressed for years and years. No solid defence, not had a good centre back since Sol Campbell. No backbone or leaders in the team. When things got tough I couldn't pick one player who could rally the troops and really lead by example. Selling best players and not replacing and still expecting to compete. Selling van Persie to Utd was one of the worst. Might as well have handed them the title. 

Then in came Emery and he was buying players over 30 who weren't good enough. Let players like Ramsey and Wilshere leave and froze out Ozil. The whole playing out the back thing was a mess. 

For the first time in a long time there's an actual togetherness in the team and a bit of backbone. When we go 1-0 down I am always hopefully we will turn it around whereas teams in the past would fold. There's a nice balance in the midfield and in Saliba we finally have a top quality defender in the backline. No longer are we signing players well into their 30's on high wages.
  • @Lestratcaster - what is Odegaard’s contract like ? Do you think you’ll be able to keep him as he seems like the complete midfielder - up there with De Bruyne imho
  • @Lestratcaster - what is Odegaard’s contract like ? Do you think you’ll be able to keep him as he seems like the complete midfielder - up there with De Bruyne imho
    It's a 4 year deal with the option to extend for a 5th I think, he signed in 2021. Well we are trying to build our team around him so I hope he will be here for a very long time. £35m from Real Madrid is a snip. He's like what we wanted Ozil to be but better. Has a touch of class about him and conducts himself very well on/off the pitch.
    It's a 4 year deal with the option to extend for a 5th I think, he signed in 2021. Well we are trying to build our team around him so I hope he will be here for a very long time. £35m from Real Madrid is a snip. He's like what we wanted Ozil to be but better. Has a touch of class about him and conducts himself very well on/off the pitch.
    Yep , I hope you keep him as it’ll be nice to see someone outside Man City / Chelsea / Liverpool challenging . I’d love it if it was Arsenal followed by Newcastle this season (assuming Palace don’t win it of course). 
    Yep , I hope you keep him as it’ll be nice to see someone outside Man City / Chelsea / Liverpool challenging . I’d love it if it was Arsenal followed by Newcastle this season (assuming Palace don’t win it of course). 
    Initially I thought us signing him would hinder the development of Emile Smith Rowe as he kinda plays in a similar position but can also play elsewhere and I think he will play in a different position if we are to use them both. Plus he's injured a fair bit and Odegaard has more experience.

As I said before there's a long long way to go still and I hope the players don't bottle it like last season vs Tottenham, Newcastle, Palace incidentally and Southampton. Just seemed to crumble at the business end of the season when it really matters. 
  • Big protests at West Brom after the match yesterday, after fairly half hearted attempts during the match waving phone torches and waving bits of paper. Lots of shouting and banging on the shutters etc, massive congestion in the road outside the stadium.

Our majority shareholder Guochuan Lai owes the club £5m + interest from a loan he took out of the club, and then there's also been news of them taking a £20m loan to cover "day to day operations". Parachute payments run out at the end of this season so they really are banking on sneaking into the playoffs and going up to avoid a financial meltdown (and hopefully then finding somebody stupid enough to buy the mess of a club). Considering the loan is probably against the stadium and/or training ground, defaulting on the payments could presumably be quite catastrophic, the only way we'll pay it off is by going up (doubtful) or by selling players, of whom we only probably have two or three worth any money at all.

Lai taking over the club basically has coincided with our downfall to mid table Championship club, having had 8 consecutive seasons in the Premier League with a very well run club. We started paying over the odds for very poor players and giving long over-inflated contracts to aging average players. Appointing disasters such as Alan Pardew,  Valerian Ishmael and Steve Bruce were all under his ownership, as well as sacking Darren "Big Dave" Moore when we were 4th in the league, and sacking Slaven Bilic after we'd just got a draw against Man City when they were running away with the league. There was also some controversy whereby he tried to sell our star player Matheus Pereira to a club in China for £25m by way of some tax dodging deal whereby he personally would have pocketed the profit. When that got found out, and it became clear to him that the club would be getting the proceeds, he was suddenly flogged to some random Saudi team for £17m instead. 

On a side note, I do question the idea of the song they kept doing when the match when a bit flat, "Stand up if you want Lai out". I personally would have thought that "Sit down if you want Lai Out" would have a much higher percentage of uptake, and is significantly less effort.

Would be interesting to know if all the fan protests and moaning from Newcastle fans actually made the blindest bit of difference or whether Ashley just sold up when he was good and ready?
    Rumours that we're looking to ship Emmanuel Dennis off to the MLS or Saudi league. Hopefully they come to fruition. Cooper never wanted him and it's just not worked out, despite everyone's best efforts. 

Mark it down as a mistake and move on. 
  • Frustrating evening vs Newcastle. Referee was a right w***er. Dan Burn shirt pull on Gabriel blatant penalty. 

Not enough attacking options from the bench to affect the game, if plan a isn't working then we haven't got much alternatives. I hear a deal is done for this Mudryk guy but I'm sick of us getting attacking wingers and no.10 type player. What we need is a proper no.9 striker. Someone like that Haaland geezer at City would be nice eh.
  • I wanted Arsenal to win , especially after the continual Newcastle timewasting but by God , Arteta is an annoying presence on the touch line . He looks like he is going to burst into angry tears 90 pct of the time and is regularly confronting opposing managers and officials . He is turning into his mentor Pep unfortunately 
  • I think it stems from his passion and frustration. The handball that never was a penalty, the players all appealed which added fuel to the fire.

More games will happen like tonight, with stubborn resilient teams stifling us. Need those two extra players who can make the difference from the bench. 
    Perfect set of results for Forest tonight. Hopefully we can capitalise by beating Southampton tomorrow. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I was worried about this match. Thought we were the more threatening side. 

Blatant pen on Gabriel but not given. 

Newcastle played well. Strong defence. Joelinton missed a sitter of a header in the first half so could have been different. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    Frustrating evening vs Newcastle. Referee was a right w***er. Dan Burn shirt pull on Gabriel blatant penalty. 

Not enough attacking options from the bench to affect the game, if plan a isn't working then we haven't got much alternatives. I hear a deal is done for this Mudryk guy but I'm sick of us getting attacking wingers and no.10 type player. What we need is a proper no.9 striker. Someone like that Haaland geezer at City would be nice eh.
    agree the ref didn't do himself or the game any favours - Once he give a yellow card for a fairly petty offence he had to keep that policy going - By then both sets of players were asking/demanding cards for nothing - I thought we had a policy now that a ref could book you for asking for another player to be booked or has that now just evaporated - As a neutral I was hoping for a kind of 5-6 goal thriller - It was a good game without being a classic - 0-0 probably did both Manchester clubs a favour 

But as well as Arsenal have been playing that bench looks seriously short of options - The weakest bench amongst the top 6-8 clubs at the moment 
    tFB Trader
    Yea we interviewed him for the job when Bilic got it, but I don't know if it happened again. It would be exciting just because you know that it would be very attractive football.

Lots of people are hoping for Tuchel or Poch, but I just don't see them coming to a club that's teetering above the relegation zone at the mid point of the season. Especially after managing the likes of PSG and Chelsea, and having just won the Champions League a year ago n the case of Tuchel. 
    well I'm nervous about tonight 

You shouldn't be :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader

You shouldn't be :lol: 
    your bad form, bad luck can't continue - we both need the 3 points - Results went our way last night with Leicester + Everton losing, so both need/want to take advantage of that - A point is not enough but maybe I'd settle for it right now, but sooner rather than later we both need a few wins
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Mid season review on Man United.

Positives:-

Looking much better after a dreadful start
    Have beat some 'big' teams - Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool
    7 wins on the bounce at home (since the draw with Newcastle)
    4 games in a row Rashford has scored.  Good to see him back.
    5 point gap to 5th place
    Will go into 3rd if we win our game in hand 
    Casemiro looking great.  Excellent Record when he starts, 10 clean sheets from 16 games.  Only 1 loss.
    No quality cover for Casemiro or any of the midfield.
    Not losing as many points to the teams we 'should' beat lately.
    Defensively strong if Martinez and Varane start but also clean sheets with different recent CB pairings.
    Ronaldo side show has moved on.

Negatives:-

No consistent CF.  Martial will never make the grade.
    It's not quite mid season, we have City next.
    I don't fancy us away at Arsenal either
    Or Barcelona.
    Anthony.  Early days but seems a very expensive one trick pony.
    Sancho.  What  on earth is going on, he's gone from £73 million signing to not even making the bench in 18 months. 

I think we are in the right direction, new owners on the horizon and the team is playing as a team, but I think we'll have a blip coming with some of the better teams coming up.  But at least we have got some consistency and shored the defense up. 
    Top 4 a definite possibility.  Liverpool and Spurs dropping points

Mid season review on Man United.

Positives:-

Looking much better after a dreadful start
    Have beat some 'big' teams - Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool
    7 wins on the bounce at home (since the draw with Newcastle)
    4 games in a row Rashford has scored.  Good to see him back.
    5 point gap to 5th place
    Will go into 3rd if we win our game in hand 
    Casemiro looking great.  Excellent Record when he starts, 10 clean sheets from 16 games.  Only 1 loss.
    No quality cover for Casemiro or any of the midfield.
    Not losing as many points to the teams we 'should' beat lately.
    Defensively strong if Martinez and Varane start but also clean sheets with different recent CB pairings.
    Ronaldo side show has moved on.

Negatives:-

No consistent CF.  Martial will never make the grade.
    It's not quite mid season, we have City next.
    I don't fancy us away at Arsenal either
    Or Barcelona.
    Anthony.  Early days but seems a very expensive one trick pony.
    Sancho.  What  on earth is going on, he's gone from £73 million signing to not even making the bench in 18 months. 

I think we are in the right direction, new owners on the horizon and the team is playing as a team, but I think we'll have a blip coming with some of the better teams coming up.  But at least we have got some consistency and shored the defense up. 
    Top 4 a definite possibility.  Liverpool and Spurs dropping points
    As a neutral, can't disagree with much of that. Outside of Haaling (who should be classed on his own), I believe Casemiro is the signing of the Season so far. The difference he's made to United is incredible. 

Similarly, my Forest review so far;

Positives:

- Cooper seems like he's being given time. I was convinced he might be gone after the drubbing to Leicester, but putting faith in him with his new contract seems like the right move. We're top 10 (I think), in league form since that reality check against the Foxes. 
    - We finally look like we're beginning to gel
    - The majority of the signings we've bought in have adjusted to the speed and style of the Premier League and are beginning to look like they belong; Mangala, Freuler, Lodi, Awoniyi et al
    - Special mention to Morgan Gibbs-White, who is a unique talent and you can see why Cooper was adamant at getting him. He improves us in so many areas and is only going to get better.
    - Ryan Yates has fully stepped up a level and looks at home in midfield vs the best in the world. Made Mason Mount look extraordinarily average on Sunday and between him and Freuler, nullified him completely. 
    - Despite our terrible start, we are one win away from climbing out of the relegation places. 

Negatives:
    - Still struggling for consistency. It's improved, but needs to be better. 
    - Brennan Johnson - we're 17 games in and at times (most of it), still looks out of his depth - isn't making the right/easy passes and has been pulled up twice for simulation. He's still extremely young, so I'm not writing him off, but he's not helping the team as much as we'd hoped he would based on his last season performance. He needs to be used as a 70 min sub at this point, until he's found some confidence and worked on his decision making
    - We are very, very thin at Centreback thanks to injuries and the fact that our other centre backs struggle with the pace of the league at times. We've definitely shored up defensively since the drubbings we took earlier in the season, but we are still prone to leaking goals against the better teams in the league. This needs to be addressed. 
    - Goal difference - hopefully the 3-4 bad losses we've taken won't be the difference at the end of the season, as it's currently like another point lost. Luckily Bournemouth and the like are hot on our heels for matching it.
    - Attacking fire power - again, it's improved, but not nearly enough. We still need more options and creativity going forward. Hopefully Scarpa coming in will help address that. 
    - Emmanuel Dennis - a complete mistake signing him and one we should try and see the back of as soon as possible. He doesn't bring anything to the squad as far as I can see. 

I'm still optimistic that we can stay up and that Cooper will continue to gel the squad and get them playing better (I've seen no reason for the contrary so far). A lot of managers would have lost the dressing room after batterings from Leicester, Fulham and Bournemouth - all of which should have been considered winnable games, but Cooper's man management seems to have stood him in good stead and he's now got a squad of players playing like a team rather than just a group of individuals with talent. 

A win tonight away at St Marys would be absolutely MASSIVE and is must win really. We've been fortunate enough to get points from games we wouldn't have expected to get points from at the start of the season - but we need to be beating the teams around us. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

@joneve thanks for the Forest mid season review.  I think it was always going to be a difficult start coming up then having so many players to bed in, but you look to be just about picking up enough points to climb out of the relegation spots.  Also, some of the other teams seem to be in freefall around you.  But like you say a massive one tonight.  No points in the last 5 for Southampton so you go to that game as the 'form' team (although I use the term fairly loosely!).  Goal difference is always a worry, ours could cost us a top 4 spot theoretically, although we are slowly catching up to the teams below us. 
    edited January 2023
    One of our chairmen has died. What a season. 2/10.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Poor result for Everton last night. I am unconvinced that Frank Lampard is the solution Everton need to become competitive again. The toffees have good players, the team seldom play to their strengths and when they do, we get a point from a top team like Man City. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Scrappy win but will take the 3 points back to the city ground! Out of the relegation places and looking more and more positive each game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter