Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    If Carling did days for United fans, yesterday would be it.

Brilliant to see that petulant show-pony out of the club. Him giving lectures on respect and accusing other players of a lack of professionalism? It's like King Herod preaching about child-minding.

Legacy = destroyed. Good riddance.

And then the Glazers say they're willing to sell. Absolutely wonderful, wonderful news. 

CR7 was a hugely disruptive influence on the team and the Glazers have stymied the Club for years. Great to see both going.

You watch though, we'll probably get bought by bloody North Korea now... s
    Sounds like a good option for the Fenway Group to consider buying - You'd have to play with Red Socks though

I assume this thought pattern of the likes of MUFC and LFC potentially up for sale has been triggered by the price Chelsea was sold for - Excellent return on the original purchase price for both the Glazers and Fenway if they can pull it off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    There was a guy on Sky Sports News last night saying there could be a feeling that clubs in England have reached their ceiling price.

Also with all the financial turmoil over here that's likely to last for a few years, entertainment could take a hit.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    There was a guy on Sky Sports News last night saying there could be a feeling that clubs in England have reached their ceiling price.

Also with all the financial turmoil over here that's likely to last for a few years, entertainment could take a hit.
    I was wondering if that might be the case - Look at what a financial mess Barcelona is 

Plus maybe they are hoping that with a very week £, that such prices are maybe more 'affordable' - The cost of an English PL club is certainly far more 'affordable' compared to the funds required to buy many USA sport franchise's 
    CHRISB50 said:

I was wondering if that might be the case - Look at what a financial mess Barcelona is 

Plus maybe they are hoping that with a very week £, that such prices are maybe more 'affordable' - The cost of an English PL club is certainly far more 'affordable' compared to the funds required to buy many USA sport franchise's 
    I think the share price went up 17% after the announcement so the value has already gone up. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Please please please Glazers **** off! 

Absolute parasites. ******* scumbags. Rich ****'s. Greedy ********'s.

I'm trying to swear less on line these days, the asterisks all represent nice words.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited November 2022
    I understand the Glazers are dickheads, I'm in absolute agreement there, thing is there's no guarantee that whoever buys it will be better or decent (if they decide to sell). What if a seemingly dodgy regime come in like the Newcastle deal, all the moral high ground claimed by some United and other clubs fans will be lost, or would you campaign equally as hard against them when they're pumping in the money that you desire. It's a thin line really, especially these days. 

Careful what you wish for I think, hopefully a decent consortium backed by some former decent names can get in there. I hope it works out for you and wish you all the best, I hold no ill will towards Man U, just could be out of one bad situation into a worse one

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    Imagine Musk buying LFC or Man U - shut the doors, sack 1/2 the staff - Tear up contracts and make you work more than 90 mins and work harder
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    The elephant in the room is that you mean Musk, not Tusk?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    The elephant in the room is that you mean Musk, not Tusk?
    Just trying to see who would be the first to spot that - well done Pike !!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I hear that Ashton United have ruled out a move for Ronaldo
    tFB Trader
    I dare say the WC will be a place for Ronaldo to try and show what he still has - This might have an influence on his ability + wages to stay in Europe and a Champions League team, or if China, USA is his only option left available to him
    edited November 2022
    If he stays in the UK it will be Chelsea or Newcastle. I think they are the only 2 that might be interested and could afford him. 

Apparently Todd Boehly is interested in signing him, Graham Potter, not so much. Which doesn't surprise me.

I think Newcastle would be crazy. They're flying at the moment, and he could completely cock it up.

I reckon he'll end up playing in the Middle East.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Yeah dont think CR is right for NUFC at all. Cant see howe taking him on or the fans warming to him. NUFC are opposite of high paid proven superstar players, its more young, enthusiastic and upcoming talent which is working very well atm. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I hardly think that CR7 is stressed financially so his choice of club will be one that plays in the manner that suits him. 

I don’t see why MU supporters get so upset about the Glaziers owning the club. They invested in the club and are entitled to reap the rewards of such an investment. The running of the club is delegated to the local board and the manager. If the supporters want the Glaziers ‘out’, there is nothing stopping them from forming a supporters organisation, organising finance and buying the club from the owners. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The thing with Ronaldo is that he wants to keep topping his 'legacy' up. He wants to score goals in top leagues, he wants to score in the Champions league, he wants to score in World and European cups. I can't see him settling for anything that doesn't give him ALL those things still.

He's annoying and rampantly egotistical, but you can't deny that he's one of the top 5 greatest players ever. 
    Boromedic said:
    I understand the Glazers are dickheads, I'm in absolute agreement there, thing is there's no guarantee that whoever buys it will be better or decent (if they decide to sell). What if a seemingly dodgy regime come in like the Newcastle deal, all the moral high ground claimed by some United and other clubs fans will be lost, or would you campaign equally as hard against them when they're pumping in the money that you desire. It's a thin line really, especially these days. 

Careful what you wish for I think, hopefully a decent consortium backed by some former decent names can get in there. I hope it works out for you and wish you all the best, I hold no ill will towards Man U, just could be out of one bad situation into a worse one
    The thing with the Glazers though were that they were the worst parasites EVER. They bought the club then threw all of THEIR hundreds of millions of debt onto the club. That is an absolute scandal that should never be allowed to happen again. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited November 2022
    Rocker said:
    I don’t see why MU supporters get so upset about the Glaziers owning the club. They invested in the club
    Because they saddled the club with huge amounts of debt and paid themselves millions in dividends, and as Ronaldo rightly said they haven't upgraded the training facilities since they arrived and haven't invested in the stadium and have employed people who didn't seem to be able to make good footballing decisions. 

Can you say you've 'invested' in a club when you've bought it with loans and instantly put all their debt onto the club and haven't done any essential work to keep up with their rivals?

It's fairly obvious at this point that the Glazers have been disastrous for the footballing aspect of Man Utd.

Rocker said:
    there is nothing stopping them from forming a supporters organisation, organising finance and buying the club from the owners. 
    Yes there is. Its the multi billion quid valuation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rocker said:
    I hardly think that CR7 is stressed financially so his choice of club will be one that plays in the manner that suits him. 

I don’t see why MU supporters get so upset about the Glaziers owning the club. They invested in the club and are entitled to reap the rewards of such an investment. The running of the club is delegated to the local board and the manager. If the supporters want the Glaziers ‘out’, there is nothing stopping them from forming a supporters organisation, organising finance and buying the club from the owners. 
    What a ridiculous post.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Jim Ratcliffe - Team Ineos - Appears to be a shrewd guy and already sponsor's major successful team's like cycling, F1 and sailing plus of course the team with the highest win success rate in any sport in The All Blacks - Maybe a good option for Man U 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Do you think the price the Glazers might want will put people off, kind of like Mike Ashley did with Newcastle? Don't get me wrong, Man U are more appealing than nearly every other UK club, but I wonder how much they would even entertain to consider giving up their golden egg. 

It also sounds like there's a lot of investment required in infrastructure not just the team. Again it could be a stumbling block. The Toon had all that sorted really.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Jim Ratcliffe - Team Ineos - Appears to be a shrewd guy and already sponsor's major successful team's like cycling, F1 and sailing plus of course the team with the highest win success rate in any sport in The All Blacks - Maybe a good option for Man U 
    Also a lifelong United fan. Think any consortium led by him would be most fans' first choice.
  • Boromedic said:
    Do you think the price the Glazers might want will put people off, kind of like Mike Ashley did with Newcastle? Don't get me wrong, Man U are more appealing than nearly every other UK club, but I wonder how much they would even entertain to consider giving up their golden egg. 

It also sounds like there's a lot of investment required in infrastructure not just the team. Again it could be a stumbling block. The Toon had all that sorted really.
    The glazers want £6 billion apparently.
    I would imagine prospective owners will need to budget another huge sum in infrastructure and team development.  There’s not many prospective buyers with access to funds that big.  

Newcastle looks a bargain now at £300 million!

• Re Ronaldo, I knew it was going to go wrong when we didn’t get champions league qualification at the end of last season.   We should have let him go in the summer.  I don’t like the way he’s behaved recently but to be fair to him he carried the team last year and did more than enough himself to get the team where we needed to be.  But he was surrounded by a sub par team.

Not sorry he has gone, he hasn’t played well this season when he’s had opportunities and I’d rather us move forward.  But if we’d have got in the CL again would have been a different story.

tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Also a lifelong United fan. Think any consortium led by him would be most fans' first choice.
    I quite liked the guy until you told me that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:

The glazers want £6 billion apparently.
    I would imagine prospective owners will need to budget another huge sum in infrastructure and team development.  There’s not many prospective buyers with access to funds that big.  

Newcastle looks a bargain now at £300 million!

Hard to say if 6 billion is a good buy or not - The likes of Jim Ratcliffe don't strike me as egotistical enough to need/want to pay an inflated price - The likes of Musk have an ego that wanted to pay OTT for such a product/brand/service as Twitter 

The team is one thing - The investment within that brand in order to 'update' the stadium and training facilities is another - 'Old' Trafford is very adapt for the stadium - When you look at stadium's of other elite clubs, like Spurs, Arsenal, Citeh then OT is tired - Last time I went there was a massive leak in one part of the stand and I believe it has not been updated since and that was 10 years ago 

Newcastle at 300 million is a kind of different story - Huge support within the 'Geordie' community but not a global brand - It doesn't mean that the owners can't invest in the appropriate players/management in order to build a side that can win trophies - But it doesn't have that same global appeal - Steven Gerrard has said before that when LFC tried to buy certain star players the deal fell thru' when the player asked his wife/girlfriend to choose between living in Liverpool or say London or Madrid - The same will apply when a star asks his wife/girlfriend about going out on a Sat night in the NE with a short skirt, no pants and no coat 

Hard to say why one club has/can develop that global appeal over another club - But it does and Man U sits at/near the top of any sporting brand - Be it Ferrari, LA Lakers, All Blacks or Barca 

• Part of me wonders whether clubs need to be a such a global brand.  Man City weren’t necessarily but the investors don’t just look at the football side and I think Abu Dhabi saw major investment opportunities around the Eastlands area of Manchester.  Regeneration close to a major City will probably see more of a return in the long term than a football club will.
    I think specifically the Middle Eastern countries look for the wider opportunities around the clubs as long term investments which are away from the oil that made them wealthy in the first place.

tFB Trader
    Surely Man U are going to make a move for Gakpo - they are wanting/needing a striker and with Ten H in charge it looks a good option - We tried to buy him during the summer but no doing
    Surely Man U are going to make a move for Gakpo - they are wanting/needing a striker and with Ten H in charge it looks a good option - We tried to buy him during the summer but no doing
    He’s having a great tournament and TH appears to like signing Dutch players. 

• Gakpo would be great and we were after him in the summer.  But this is classic Man U, don’t buy him when he’s slightly under the radar, wait until he has a great world cup, doubles in value and everybody wants him.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter