Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Hattigol said:
    I have loved Ralph Hassenhutl ever since I learnt that his surname in English is Rabbit-hutch.

Ralph Rabbit-hutch.

Love it.
    I also now love him! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Still a bit vexed that Forest were jobbed out of at least 2 penalties on Saturday. But fair play to them for fighting for the last minute equaliser - was nothing more than we deserved against Brentford. 

Massive game against Palace on Sat - would be really great to still be in the mix going into the World Cup break after the turbulent start to the season. Reset, new pre-season for the next 6 weeks to get the squad gelling more. 

(also a win on Sat means we pass Derby's record lowest premier league points tally so they're still the worst team in history :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joneve said:
    Still a bit vexed that Forest were jobbed out of at least 2 penalties on Saturday. But fair play to them for fighting for the last minute equaliser - was nothing more than we deserved against Brentford. 

Massive game against Palace on Sat - would be really great to still be in the mix going into the World Cup break after the turbulent start to the season. Reset, new pre-season for the next 6 weeks to get the squad gelling more. 

(also a win on Sat means we pass Derby's record lowest premier league points tally so they're still the worst team in history :D
    I hate to say it (as I’d like you guys to stay up) but we are on a bit of a roll at the moment . Zaha is playing out of his skin and for once we have other playmakers who can take people on  if Zaha has an off day (Olise and Eze). I think we  are a centre forward away from the Europa League spots which are heady heights for long time Palace fans !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:

I hate to say it (as I’d like you guys to stay up) but we are on a bit of a roll at the moment . Zaha is playing out of his skin and for once we have other playmakers who can take people on  if Zaha has an off day (Olise and Eze). I think we  are a centre forward away from the Europa League spots which are heady heights for long time Palace fans !
    Aye, your win at the weekend we could have done without as you'll be oozing with confidence. I think if we can get going early like we did against Brentford...but actually capitalise on our chances, and take the wind out your sails, we might have a chance. But if we sit back and invite pressure like we did vs. Arsenal, you've got enough threat to put a few past us. 

It's not the end of days if we don't win on Sat and we'll still have 6 more points than Newcastle did in December last year so, anything is still possible after the WC, but would be great to go into the loooong break on a positive note. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

Yes it will be good to see that record stay with them for ever
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joneve said:

To be honest, if Luton ever get up (fingers crossed!) I fully expect them to have the worst points tally ever! Still hope they get there!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited November 2022
    Hattigol said:
    I have loved Ralph Hassenhutl ever since I learnt that his surname in English is Rabbit-hutch.

Ralph Rabbit-hutch.

Love it.
    I also now love him! 
    Pedant alert, Hasen means hares (ie plural of hare) not rabbit and I think if I remember rightly that Hüttl in Austrian German means more like a small cabin or hut, as in something you might encounter in skiing areas, rather than a hutch as such. But I suppose it might be used in that sense - though how many people keep hares in hutches?

I loved my time in Austria (despite my politics preferences and despite me being a foreigner) but they did have some strange hobbies to be fair so who knows

tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

To be honest, if Luton ever get up (fingers crossed!) I fully expect them to have the worst points tally ever! Still hope they get there!
    I'm all for any club coming up - After all they deserve it on merit - But I want that record top stay with Derby, forever - 11 points - and 4 of those points came from Newcastle matches
  • I remember the play off final when Derby went up, they beat my team West Brom in the final which was the first at the new Wembley if I remember rightly. They finished with quite a few more points than us but on the day we were much the better side however they scored and we did not.

I remember when Derby then did so badly, our fans were saying things along the lines of "it's a blessing in disguise as that would have been us" whereas we went on to win the league the next season. However we also got spanked back down again the following year so it just delayed the inevitable
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

I'm all for any club coming up - After all they deserve it on merit - But I want that record top stay with Derby, forever - 11 points - and 4 of those points came from Newcastle matches
    Always said you're a great guy. This solidifies it. 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

Are you sure - I'm still a big Leeds fan after all
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

:D hatred of derby *just* about trumps the fact you're a dirty Leeds fan. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

:D hatred of derby *just* about trumps the fact you're a dirty Leeds fan. 
    mutual hatred works for me
    Spurs sticking a full strength side out against us for the EFL cup. We’ve basically made 8 replacements. Should be interesting haha. Hopefully Yates doesn’t crock Kane before the WC 
  • So out the Carabao Cup already. Serves us right really for fielding a below strength team. Shows we haven't got the squad depth and can't play as well when the likes of Partey, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus and Xhaka aren't in the team. The players that came in aren't quite the same quality.
    9 changes and Forest looked like Brazil tonight against Spurs. Superb performance all round. 
  • If the board don't sack Moyes tonight, if he loses or has a poor draw against Leicester on Saturday he is gone. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    joneve said:
    9 changes and Forest looked like Brazil tonight against Spurs. Superb performance all round. 

To say that we were crap would be an insult to crap. We were missing a lot of strikers in the initial eleven, but we hardly laid a glove on Forest. We can delude ourselves into thinking "it's only the League Cup, we don't really care about it, it's the lowest of our priorities this season" but we were our custoimary 0-2 down before it dwaned on someone to start attacking.

The way we have played in the last few games makes me look forward to the World Cup.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    So out the Carabao Cup already. Serves us right really for fielding a below strength team. Shows we haven't got the squad depth and can't play as well when the likes of Partey, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus and Xhaka aren't in the team. The players that came in aren't quite the same quality.
    I went last night.

Their first goal came against the run of play, but in the 2nd half we didn't really turn up. By the time he brought on the two Gabi's, Zinchenko and Xhaka it was too late.   

Hein had a nightmare. Felt sorry for him as his head went after giving away the pen. Some of the balls he tried to play out from the back just put our players under pressure. 

Vieira went missing.

Saliba was a different class. He's ridiculously cool under pressure.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    So out the Carabao Cup already. Serves us right really for fielding a below strength team. Shows we haven't got the squad depth and can't play as well when the likes of Partey, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus and Xhaka aren't in the team. The players that came in aren't quite the same quality.
    I went last night.

Their first goal came against the run of play, but in the 2nd half we didn't really turn up. By the time he brought on the two Gabi's, Zinchenko and Xhaka it was too late.   

Hein had a nightmare. Felt sorry for him as his head went after giving away the pen. Some of the balls he tried to play out from the back just put our players under pressure. 

Vieira went missing.

Saliba was a different class. He's ridiculously cool under pressure.
    Don't know why Hein started to be honest. Turner would have been better but I don't think that would have affected the performance by much.

Yes Saliba is class, he looks so assured and a top quality centre back, glad we are giving him a stint in the team, looks like he never went away.
  • England World Cup Squad announced. What we making of it?

Pleased Ben White is in, he's been outstanding this season playing out of position at RB. He can cover in different positions which will be a bonus. Also Maddison, he's been in good form this season. I don't think Sterling should be in there, he's been rubbish at Chelsea this season.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Why on earth is Rashford in the Squad?
  • crunchman said:
    Why on earth is Rashford in the Squad?

Rashford has found a bit of form.. unlike Sterling, Maguire, Phillips, etc..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joneve said:
    Having signed so many players (was it 22?), it makes you wonder if a) the manager has been picking some of the wrong ones, or b) not being picked has made the reserves stand up and be counted? Either way it's good news for Forest I guess as it gives you some extra options and hopefully a bit of a boost.

Would be good to see you lot make a bit of a climb up the table in the league (not just because it could potentially be at Wolves' expense)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    "In this day and age squad is more important than ever with five substitutes. You want different options for different moments of matches and different stages of the tournament as well.

But Southgate never makes any substitutions in the important games, just keeps hoping and hoping and hoping that Kane and Sterling might score a goal.  Was the same at the Euros and the last Workd Cup

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    sev112 said:
    "In this day and age squad is more important than ever with five substitutes. You want different options for different moments of matches and different stages of the tournament as well.

But Southgate never makes any substitutions in the important games, just keeps hoping and hoping and hoping that Kane and Sterling might score a goal.  Was the same at the Euros and the last Workd Cup

Where we got to the semis of one and drew the final of the other to be fair to Southgate - although I don't disagree with you.

I like Rashford when he is on form decent selection, I thought Toney would have done enough to be a reserve striker not really noticed Willson this season.

Interesting to see if Maddison gets a game, must be ahead of Mount surely.  I like Phillips assuming he is fit enough to be at his best.

joneve said:
    Having signed so many players (was it 22?), it makes you wonder if a) the manager has been picking some of the wrong ones, or b) not being picked has made the reserves stand up and be counted? Either way it's good news for Forest I guess as it gives you some extra options and hopefully a bit of a boost.

Would be good to see you lot make a bit of a climb up the table in the league (not just because it could potentially be at Wolves' expense)
    Yea, I do think Cooper's stuck with some "safe" picks that he's familiar with in some circumstances (i.e. Steve Cook at CB - I love the guy, but even having Boly and Worrall on the field yesterday, the difference is like night and day....but I can't knock him too much, as he's really played quite well for an old man and his no look pass assist for the goal against Liverpool was something else)...but it was great to see the likes of Sam Surridge (who I'm still convinced, at 2million quid from Stoke, is our best striker) get some meaningful game time. It also looked like Jesse Lingard and Renan Lodi (both of whom had previously looked utterly rubbish all season) are playing with a bit more freedom and less pressure - maybe now they know they're not going to the World Cup, there's no need to overthink and try to impress.

Gives Cooper a real dilemma for Saturday - I think if he starts the same squad (or variation of, as Mangala has a 1 match ban for crocking Richarlison (worth it :) ) we stand a really good chance against Palace...or will he resort back to his favoured formation of 1 up top (instead of 2 that he played on Wed)...

the 6 week break will do us the world of good too, I think. We only have 5 players going to Qatar (3 of which are welsh, and 2 are starters in our team), so it's a good chance of a proper pre-season now we have the squad in place, get some minutes in some friendlies and try some combinations to see what does and doesn't work. We've also got Niakhate to come back from injury (our best CB) as well as Omar Richards, who *should* be our starting LB. 

Biggest surprise of the season so far is Serge Aurier - not yet once lost his head and seems to have matured since being at Spurs. Bloke is an absolute baller. 
    Happy with Rashford going, he's been good so far this season and gives a good option maybe later in a game where we need something

Maguire - I just don't get it? This is where loyalty goes too far. It's like the days of old when we took an injured player. If you aren't playing well you shouldn't be there.

axisus said:
    Happy with Rashford going, he's been good so far this season and gives a good option maybe later in a game where we need something

Maguire - I just don't get it? This is where loyalty goes too far. It's like the days of old when we took an injured player. If you aren't playing well you shouldn't be there.

Whilst I agree. Maguire has been out of form for United for as long as I can remember...but still seems to turn it on for England. Not saying he should have picked him based on this - but he *might* play well. 

Kalvin Phillips is more mind boggling. Literally not played more than about 20 minutes all season, but somehow still got picked. 
    joneve said:

Kalvin Phillips is more mind boggling. Literally not played more than about 20 minutes all season, but somehow still got picked. 
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of picking players who aren't 'up to speed'.