Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    I'm a Liverpool fan but not heard 'bin dippers' before. Bloody marvellous expression : D +1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    DesVegas said:
    I'm a Liverpool fan but not heard 'bin dippers' before. Bloody marvellous expression : D +1
    Yea I hear it from time to time but I have to say it's mostly from the older supporters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Stevie G bookies' favourite for the Elland Road job?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Hattigol said:
    Ted Lasso gone ?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Useless Spurs! 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Not overly impressed with toon this afternoon. Lost possession in second half too much and showed minor signs of folding. Defence was up to it thankfully, but midfield could do better. Bruno looked a bit tired and not slept for 2 days, which was probably the reason. Against better opposition, NUFC need to fix that.  Spurs played well in fairness to them. Thought mentally they were a bit frustrated and lost the plot a bit. Again sadly, referee home bias was evident to see. 

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I guess you know Bruno’s missus had a kid yesterday? 
  • 2 points dropped vs Southampton. Wasteful finishing from Jesus. Need to be more clinical and put away the chances we create with the bundles of attacking firepower we have. Could cost the league position at the end of the season.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    It was a question, not a statement!  ;)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    axisus said:
    Yikes! Luton were 4th last time I looked and now 8th! Such a tight league, we HAVE to win today!!!!
    Luton are now 9th.  And Swansea are 4th (I have to enjoy it while I can).
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    looks like 2 questions now and 2 statements
    tFB Trader
    Interesting stats for two recent Leicester games

Yesterday they won 4-0 and had 4 shots on target during the match - Interestingly Wolves had 21 shots and 61% possession

And the game before, when they beat Leeds 2-0, they had 1 shot on target 

So every shot on target has been a goal in their last 2 matches
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Many probably would not agree with me but I think Stevie G could be a good option - Certainly ahead of Rafa ( seriously over-rated especially since his CL win with LFC - Plus leaves no legacy wherever he goes and when ever he leaves) and the likes of S Dyche

I dare say for you, then a red you hate and a team you hate, to see them together and then relegated, then that would be the time to have a party 
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Many probably would not agree with me but I think Stevie G could be a good option - 
    Why?
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Many probably would not agree with me but I think Stevie G could be a good option - 
    Why?
    hunch - don't think it would be a popular choice though with many fans so just a hunch as far as I'm concerned - Is there a better option, then maybe - But then it is either a gamble on someone like Corberan/Wagner - Or finding an unknown who once took a small team in Switzerland to a cup final, but is available  
    tony99 said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Why?
    hunch - don't think it would be a popular choice though with many fans so just a hunch as far as I'm concerned - Is there a better option, then maybe - But then it is either a gamble on someone like Corberan/Wagner - Or finding an unknown who once took a small team in Switzerland to a cup final, but is available  
    I think he'll want to be back in the game ASAP so you may be in luck
  • I think Stevie G was seriously let down by a few of his big players but on the flip side of that , he couldn’t motivate them to do any better - whether that was due to a lack of nous. coaching skills or personality.  I wouldnt want him anywhere near my club tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I think Stevie G was seriously let down by a few of his big players but on the flip side of that , he couldn’t motivate them to do any better - whether that was due to a lack of nous. coaching skills or personality.  I wouldnt want him anywhere near my club tbh
    Yeah, they didn't really play for him. As I said before, I think he's a bit dour, not exactly motivational! I'm not sure he's manager material personally. 

Absolutely could not see him as Leeds manager!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2022
    It's strange that people seem to be saying that he couldn't motivate players because he spent near enough his entire career at Liverpool inspiring and motivating his team mates who appeared to run through brick walls for him when he was captain.

Whether his tactical prowess undermines that I don't know, but he seemed to get a lot out of those Rangers players and his Liverpool team mates said that he was an inspiration and the best they've ever played with. 

Maybe the Villa squad just doesn't have the characters that he can affect in the same way. Or, maybe it is just him. 

Managers need to fail. If they learn from it, it should make them better managers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    It's strange that people seem to be saying that he couldn't motivate players because he spent near enough his entire career at Liverpool inspiring and motivating his team mates who appeared to run through brick walls for him when he was captain.

Whether his tactical prowess undermines that I don't know, but he seemed to get a lot out of those Rangers players and his Liverpool team mates said that he was an inspiration and the best they've ever played with. 

Maybe the Villa squad just doesn't have the characters that he can affect in the same way. Or, maybe it is just him. 

Managers need to fail. If they learn from it, it should make them better managers.
    100% 

Yet there is a case that some lead by action rather than words - Many great footballers have failed in management inc Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton - Yet some great managers barely played at a good club level Fergie, Jose, Wenger etc - Same in all forms of management, you might be able to do the job yourself, but after a while you've got put into words, that others can follow, what you previously did by instinct 

It was said that it was Stevie G who did the 1/2 time team talk on the day they beat Milan in the final and were 3-0 down at 1/2 time - can't recall who it was, but a player said it was the best 1/2 time team talk he'd hear 

Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    which bookies is that ?
    Many probably would not agree with me but I think Stevie G could be a good option - Certainly ahead of Rafa ( seriously over-rated especially since his CL win with LFC - Plus leaves no legacy wherever he goes and when ever he leaves) and the likes of S Dyche

I dare say for you, then a red you hate and a team you hate, to see them together and then relegated, then that would be the time to have a party 
    I don't hate Leeds. They don't really feature on my radar, to be honest. Sorry if that's a disappointment as I know most Leeds fans' sole reason for existence is to hate us!

Only feel the need to give a bit out to them as I had a couple sending me screenshots of League tables when we were bottom and Leeds had actually won a couple of games. Mind you, that was three PMs, two monarchs and four Chancellors ago...

Nice to remind them of this  :)
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I think Stevie G was seriously let down by a few of his big players but on the flip side of that , he couldn’t motivate them to do any better - whether that was due to a lack of nous. coaching skills or personality.  I wouldnt want him anywhere near my club tbh
    Yeah, they didn't really play for him. As I said before, I think he's a bit dour, not exactly motivational! I'm not sure he's manager material personally. 

Absolutely could not see him as Leeds manager!
    Sounds like an ideal candidate then - Don Revie wasn't exactly personality of the year 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

It was said that it was Stevie G who did the 1/2 time team talk on the day they beat Milan in the final and were 3-0 down at 1/2 time - can't recall who it was, but a player said it was the best 1/2 time team talk he'd hear 

I can believe that it was amazing, and he was a great leader on the field, but it is a different scenario to week in week out talking to a team and trying to motivate them.
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

I can believe that it was amazing, and he was a great leader on the field, but it is a different scenario to week in week out talking to a team and trying to motivate them.
    agree and that is why on an above post (two/three up from here),that  I mentioned that many great players failed as a manager and many  great managers were only mediocre players
  • That goal by WHU. Telecaster - you agree with this goal to be allowed?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Seems off, even as a WH supporter, that’s hand ball.  Doesn’t matter that his eyes are closed and his hands are in a natural position .  

• Quality of decisions matched the quality of the game. 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Well that didn't take long:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63379963

Unai Emery for AVFC.

tFB Trader
    Bottom 3 at the moment and 4 of our next 5 games are Liverpool (a), Spurs (a) Man City (h) and Newcastle (a) so even if Pep was in charge, it is more than likely we will still be in the bottom 3 come the 1st Jan