Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisus said:
    There's a lot of talk about Haaland these days, and I have to admit I love watching him (hate City though!). He seems amazing, but just to put things into perspective .....

Graeme Souness: "If Cristiano Ronaldo never scores again, and Haaland also plays to 38, he will need to score 43 goals a season for the next 16 years just to level CR7’s career total."

I believe that Messi is also just 7 goals behind Ronaldo.

Ronaldo and Messi really are legendary.
    I disliked CR7 for the most of his career - meaning his ego, demeanour, on-pitch behaviour etc, but never denied his fantastic talent.
    Years later I love to see him still playing and scoring goals like vs Everton last weekend.
    I truly appreciate the greatness! 
    Same goes for Messi, but I feel that Ronaldo's career is more complete than Leo's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    There's a lot of talk about Haaland these days, and I have to admit I love watching him (hate City though!). He seems amazing, but just to put things into perspective .....

Graeme Souness: "If Cristiano Ronaldo never scores again, and Haaland also plays to 38, he will need to score 43 goals a season for the next 16 years just to level CR7’s career total."

Wow - That is some stat - I know Messi's assist are far higher than Ronaldo's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    We've got quite the shortlist it appears....

Michael Carrick
    Scott Parker
    Sean Dyche
    Hannes Wolf

I'd take Sean Dyche out of them, proven in both Champ and Prem, straight talking and half decent football. I wouldn't be unhappy with Carrick or Parker either. Don't know much about Wolf though. I suspect WBAs shortlist is pretty similar :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    axisus said:

And that's assuming he has no injuries. 
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    Haaland only on the bench tonight for City - Probably due to inconsistent performance today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dawned on me he will get a 6 weeks break during the WC - Of course I know he is training etc, but he won't be 'playing'
  • Haaland only on the bench tonight for City - Probably due to inconsistent performance today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dawned on me he will get a 6 weeks break during the WC - Of course I know he is training etc, but he won't be 'playing'

Haaland whilst everyone else is at the World Cup..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited October 2022
    axisus said:

But I'm sure I've seen some stats things floating around where Haaland has scored more than both Messi and Ronaldo combined at the same age? I seem to recall Ronaldo being a bit underwhelming and lightweight as a floppy haired 21 year old - seemed to do about a million step overs then lose the ball (EDIT: just looked at wikipedia and seems Ronaldo was 18 when he signed for United, that's probably what I was thinking of). But still, the goals stats at the same age as Haaland are not as many)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    You have to laugh at football sometimes. As a Man U fan I kept checking the Euro score last night. I thought bloody typical, playing a minnow team at home and we can't put the ball in the net. 78% possession, 34 shots, 13 in target. I hung my head in despair right at the end when I heard that Casimero was coming off and they were putting McTominay on. That seemed pointless!

I didn't check the score until this morning and McTominay only scored in the 93rd minute!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    You have to laugh at football sometimes. As a Man U fan I kept checking the Euro score last night. I thought bloody typical, playing a minnow team at home and we can't put the ball in the net. 78% possession, 34 shots, 13 in target. I hung my head in despair right at the end when I heard that Casimero was coming off and they were putting McTominay on. That seemed pointless!

I didn't check the score until this morning and McTominay only scored in the 93rd minute!
    Flipping heck how long have you followed man u? Never heard of fergie time?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    axisus said:

We're rubbish against teams that sit back.  Hopefully Newcastle will have a go on Sunday, we are much better with counter attacking opportunities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    So James to miss the World Cup - Doubts about A Arnold and Walker - So from a very strong position we might only have Trippier left as a strong option 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    So James to miss the World Cup - Doubts about A Arnold and Walker - So from a very strong position we might only have Trippier left as a strong option 
    Probably solves that problem then doesn't it! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I see Blackpool FC (my home town club) managed to collect FOUR red cards yesterday at Sheffield United...  :o

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    I see Blackpool FC (my home town club) managed to collect FOUR red cards yesterday at Sheffield United...  :o

wow that must be some record - I heard there was some agro after the whistle but did not know 2 red cards then let alone 2 before hand - And Sheff U only scrapped a draw against 9 men towards the end 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    Nitefly said:

The record is 5 in 1997, so it was only a skirmish at Blackpool.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hull City v Birmingham KO delayed while ground staff saw 2 inches off the goal posts.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    tony99 said:
    Made me laugh but also quite sad that Sky clearly are pampering to the glory hunters. I saw a headline in the press this week that asked 'Are Liverpool out of this years title race?'

They've never been in it! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    ronnyb said:
    Nitefly said:

The record is 5 in 1997, so it was only a skirmish at Blackpool.
    More a fracas, I think  ;)

• Lucky to nick that 1-0 vs Leeds. Thought they played well second half. Dug in though and VAR was right seeing Bamford fouled Gabriel first. Liverpool beating City did us a favour too and now we play them next. Interested to see how we compete.
  • Nitefly said:

Well Sheffield United certainly have form in doing this, albeit some time ago now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Lucky to nick that 1-0 vs Leeds. Thought they played well second half. Dug in though and VAR was right seeing Bamford fouled Gabriel first. Liverpool beating City did us a favour too and now we play them next. Interested to see how we compete.
    No we dont - City game has been rearranged to allow the reschedule of the queen death cancelled PSV game.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Lucky to nick that 1-0 vs Leeds. Thought they played well second half. Dug in though and VAR was right seeing Bamford fouled Gabriel first. Liverpool beating City did us a favour too and now we play them next. Interested to see how we compete.
    No we dont - City game has been rearranged to allow the reschedule of the queen death cancelled PSV game.
    Oh I didn't know that. Well we were meant to play them next, maybe its a good thing as they will be raging after the defeat to Liverpool.
    tFB Trader
    Not seen any of the game yet - Only BBC commentary - Full game will be on LUTV later and/or hi-lights on Sky shortly so will check in shortly - But if there is such a thing as a credible defeat then that was it - Just wished we'd play like that more often, especially our 2nd 1/2 showing - So far this season not many teams have out played you for so long but miss a penalty and you pay the consequences
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Not seen any of the game yet - Only BBC commentary - Full game will be on LUTV later and/or hi-lights on Sky shortly so will check in shortly - But if there is such a thing as a credible defeat then that was it - Just wished we'd play like that more often, especially our 2nd 1/2 showing - So far this season not many teams have out played you for so long but miss a penalty and you pay the consequences
    Think we've had three Chancellors since your last League win, Mark!?

(Sorry  =) )
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Nitefly said:

Well Sheffield United certainly have form in doing this, albeit some time ago now!
    Crazy that you mention Colin Warnock a few days back then this happens at Sheffield United. 

I was working up around Sheffield when the Battle of Bramall Lane happened - the wait before we got the points awarded seemed like weeks. I think it remains the only game abandoned due to a lack of players.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• swillerswiller Frets: 662
    edited October 2022
    swiller said:
    Looking forward to it too. Exciting season for my toon. Think same as last year is acceptable to fans with a settling in period for the players. But think we surprise the league a bit. 

Man City

Liverpool.

Chelsea.

Arsenal.

Newcastle.

Man U.

Nah. lol kiss 
    Reality 9-10 games in... but still stand by the above..
    Arsenal
    Man City
    spurs??
    Chelsea
    Man U
    Newcastle

Not a lot to criticise of NUFC atm. Stat wise, stood up to all the big boys, home and away.  Only a late minute controversial defeat to liverpool in their own yard, else unbeaten. Looking forward to Isak being fit and the aussie 18 yrs old pele (Garang Kuol) starting in jan 2023.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Don't forget this week the Prem games are all shown on Amazon Prime. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Don't forget this week the Prem games are all shown on Amazon Prime. 
    assume all games on the same night are on 'multiple channel' options on Prime - Note some are kicking off 45 mins earlier, so almost watch 1st half of one game, then watch another game later when it kicks off - Obviously that works if you are a neutral fan for that game - ie, tomorrow watch 1st 1/2 of say Brentford/Chelsea - Liverpool/West Ham - Newcastle/Everton all at 7.30, then dial into Man U v Spurs at 8.15
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Yes I believe they’re all shown on different feeds at the same time. 

That’s how they normally do it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to