Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• That is the way we are headed I suspect, albeit perhaps not quite so dramatically as Portsmouth.

I was a mascot for West Brom against Portsmouth when I were a little 'un. Back when you guys had Aloisi up front. Very much enjoyed my day there, and luckily I was there with my dad and his Portsmouth fan friends so my seat was in the home end, rather than the open away end. Which was great for me when it started chucking it down...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Calling @Joneve, on my computer system your name is shown twice at the top left corner of your posts.  Everyones name is displayed there but only a single time.  Just wondering??????
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    That is the way we are headed I suspect, albeit perhaps not quite so dramatically as Portsmouth.

I was a mascot for West Brom against Portsmouth when I were a little 'un. Back when you guys had Aloisi up front. Very much enjoyed my day there, and luckily I was there with my dad and his Portsmouth fan friends so my seat was in the home end, rather than the open away end. Which was great for me when it started chucking it down...
    We had a rough ride. We got a lot of stick for spending what we didn’t have but the reality was our chairman was loaded and then the family had their assets frozen so we went from wealthy to poverty overnight.  

As always a few walked away with millions and we were left with 30 points deducted in two seasons and dropped three divisions and very nearly went out of existence. 

So now I’m  pleased to have a club and don’t mind being in league one. Fratton Park is full every home game and the atmosphere is outstanding. 

There’s even a roof on the away end now. They’ll be installing toilets a for the visitors next. 
  • munckee said:
    That is the way we are headed I suspect, albeit perhaps not quite so dramatically as Portsmouth.

We had a rough ride. We got a lot of stick for spending what we didn’t have but the reality was our chairman was loaded and then the family had their assets frozen so we went from wealthy to poverty overnight.  

As always a few walked away with millions and we were left with 30 points deducted in two seasons and dropped three divisions and very nearly went out of existence. 

So now I’m  pleased to have a club and don’t mind being in league one. Fratton Park is full every home game and the atmosphere is outstanding. 

There’s even a roof on the away end now. They’ll be installing toilets a for the visitors next. 
    Portsmouth do have good fans, our fans and support are rubbish. I do recall your lot wearing Albion shirts when you played us at our place on the last day of a season, where it was us or Southampton going down I think? 

Atmosphere at Albion has been dead since before we had Pulis, but he well and truly oversaw the death of any kind of interest in the matches at Albion. Mostly just people like me who've bought the season tickets out of habit and don't want to let the seat go to waste, but essentially have no real interest in supporting the team unless they actually look like they might have a shot on target once in a while, or like they might not concede in the first 15 minutes 

Us getting relegated would save me £350 so I'm not totally against us swapping with your lot in League 1 - you can keep the goalkeeper you have on loan from us as well, he wouldn't get a chance here (because he's not 30+) but sounds like he's doing acceptably for you
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Rocker said:
    Calling @Joneve, on my computer system your name is shown twice at the top left corner of your posts.  Everyones name is displayed there but only a single time.  Just wondering??????
    Haven't a Scooby do mate. It's definitely only on my profile once! 

• joneve said:
    Rocker said:
    Haven't a Scooby do mate. It's definitely only on my profile once! 

I think it's because your avatar doesnt show, so you get that "image failed to load" type icon plus your username
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    I've noticed with Haaland that when he talks it very nearly always "we... "
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Reverend said:
    I've noticed with Haaland that when he talks it very nearly always "we... "
    Yes, but is it the team "we" or the royal "we"?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I almost put Lingard in my FF team...I thought being he did well at West Ham, the fact that he will start every game at Forest, plays in an advance role would be a sole choice for a cheap midfielder that get the odd assist and goal.

He has not nothing!

As for Haaland...what impress me are 2 things, his almost inhuman ability to get into these positions, in space, inside the box and also his finishing.  The goal per touch ratio is off the chart.
    What I like is the vision of him and KDB - That 3rd goal v Man U - The ball into the 6 yard box looked an aimless mistimed effort - But somehow both parties knew what it was, where it was going and what the end result would be - Will Carling called Joan Lumu a freak - I think we can say the same about Haaland - He was born in God's chosen county so maybe that helps
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I almost put Lingard in my FF team...I thought being he did well at West Ham, the fact that he will start every game at Forest, plays in an advance role would be a sole choice for a cheap midfielder that get the odd assist and goal.

He has not nothing!

As for Haaland...what impress me are 2 things, his almost inhuman ability to get into these positions, in space, inside the box and also his finishing.  The goal per touch ratio is off the chart.
    What I like is the vision of him and KDB - That 3rd goal v Man U - The ball into the 6 yard box looked an aimless mistimed effort - But somehow both parties knew what it was, where it was going and what the end result would be - Will Carling called Joan Lumu a freak - I think we can say the same about Haaland - He was born in God's chosen county so maybe that helps
    I know, 99/100 that is not a goal.  He has the height does give him more reach but he isn't even the tallest strikers ever, his anticipation is nothing like I've ever seen.

Mbappé and Haaland is probably the 2 players that are going to dominate European football for the next decade, I want to say Haaland is a harder one to play against purely due to his ability to find space inside the box and finish it with 1 touch.  
    tFB Trader

He has not nothing!

I know, 99/100 that is not a goal.  He has the height does give him more reach but he isn't even the tallest strikers ever, his anticipation is nothing like I've ever seen.

Mbappé and Haaland is probably the 2 players that are going to dominate European football for the next decade, I want to say Haaland is a harder one to play against purely due to his ability to find space inside the box and finish it with 1 touch.  
    And both are still kids with a good 12 years, or more, in them, without injuries - I was surprised Mbappe is only 23 as it appears as though he has already been around for a while - I suppose one big difference is that Mbappe could win another 1/2/3 world cups - Haaland won't win one 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457

I was a mascot for West Brom against Portsmouth when I were a little 'un. 
    What costume did you have to wear ? ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    @guitars4you Probably not, but he could win a European Cup. Denmark, Greece, Portugal all won with underestimated teams so there is a punchers chance that he could something at some point. 
  • sev112 said:

I was a mascot for West Brom against Portsmouth when I were a little 'un. 
    What costume did you have to wear ? ;)

Aha we didn't have the boiler man back then sadly!
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you Probably not, but he could win a European Cup. Denmark, Greece, Portugal all won with underestimated teams so there is a punchers chance that he could something at some point. 
    would you put money on it - Yet those teams, Denmark and Portugal have both often had good teams and on the right day can cause problems etc - I suppose of those 3 teams then Greece was the surprise package to win

Trying to recall now, but did Denmark only gain entry to the final stages at the last minute - Might have been something to do with the break up of Yugoslavia and conflicts in the region 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited October 2022
    Yes i think that was how they got into the tournament. Then if I remember right they spent most of it passing it between the keeper and the defender?
    would you put money on it - Yet those teams, Denmark and Portugal have both often had good teams and on the right day can cause problems etc - I suppose of those 3 teams then Greece was the surprise package to win

Trying to recall now, but did Denmark only gain entry to the final stages at the last minute - Might have been something to do with the break up of Yugoslavia and conflicts in the region 
    No I wouldn't put money on it, but I mean there is a chance in the Euroes, although a small one, and the difference was one or two players, a lucky draw, and the will of their nation pushing them through. Having a player like Haaland in your team is guaranteed goals, especially if he continues the kind of standard he has been at in the last couple of years. I wouldn't say Greece or Denmark were especially good at that time and it was a huge shock so who knows what can happen! 
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like Haaland has peaked - no goal in the 1st half  - Flash in the pan eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like Haaland has peaked - no goal in the 1st half  - Flash in the pan eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's shit. 
    He's good. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited October 2022
    Took Haaland 65 minutes to score today. What a shocker.

20 goals already though. The man is a beast.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Haaland is God. I've said it. He's God. 
    He's washed up. Finished.
    Only scored two midweek and only ONE today.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited October 2022
    Hattigol said:
    Haaland is God. I've said it. He's God. 
    He's washed up. Finished.
    Only scored two midweek and only ONE today.
    Even God rested at the end of a hard week. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Darlington are 2nd in the National League North. Sorry if there are any Chester fans in. 

In other news, what the hell is going on at Newcastle? They’ll be having nose bleeds at 5th position. Brentford are no pushovers. 

MOTD will be good tonight.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited October 2022
    Deadman said:
    Darlington are 2nd in the National League North. Sorry if there are any Chester fans in. 

In other news, what the hell is going on at Newcastle? They’ll be having nose bleeds at 5th position. Brentford are no pushovers. 

MOTD will be good tonight.
    I think the Stats since Howes took over since the middle to the end of the season was like 3rd behind City and Liverpool.  So it’s not surprising to see where they are this season.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Deadman said:
    Brentford are no pushovers. 

They were yesterday.   Injuries to key players hasn’t helped but we seem to have lost our ability to press and attack. Last season, even when we lost, the performances were good… this season they aren’t.   The drubbing of Man U and Leeds papered over a fair few cracks imo, and I don’t think we’re as good as most Bees fans think we are.  
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    edited October 2022
    Great result for Cherries!
    Leicester is in bit of a pickle,  4pts after 9 games played... 
  • Wow, didn't expect anything more than a draw today, esp when they pegged us back to 2-2. But superb fighting spirit to keep on going and get ahead. Martinelli is an outstanding talent, can't believe we got him for £6m. He's got great energy and drive, as well as being brought up to behave like an Arsenal player should. Saka was also immense, these two need to get signed up on long-term contracts as we are building our team round the likes of these two. Can't wait to see us play City now.
    tFB Trader
    Wow, didn't expect anything more than a draw today, esp when they pegged us back to 2-2. But superb fighting spirit to keep on going and get ahead. Martinelli is an outstanding talent, can't believe we got him for £6m. He's got great energy and drive, as well as being brought up to behave like an Arsenal player should. Saka was also immense, these two need to get signed up on long-term contracts as we are building our team round the likes of these two. Can't wait to see us play City now.
    Well deserved win today for you - Some of Klopp's substitutions and even starting line up was a bit baffling - Surely LFC are already out of the title race at 14 points behind, albeit a game in hand - Go easy on us next Sunday - My birthday as well - I had 2 tickets for the match but can't make it as other activities booked, yet not on SKY