Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    My worry is that a large number of the players in England's (supposedly) best team, can't get regular game time for their clubs.

That means that they're not at peak fitness/sharpness/match-readiness.  Arguably it means that they're not as good as the club-level competition.

I'd like to see the core of the England team being the recognised best players from the proven successful club teams - yes, that means ManC, Liverpool & other top6 - but the best players in those teams are predominantly non-English, and the English players who are there are often subs-bench players rather than regular players.

The English PL might be the "best" league in the world (however you measure that), with the "best" players (ditto), but it doesn't follow that the English national team will be any good ...

Sure, England has *some* good players, but if you had to pick a world-best 22, which nation would have the most players in that squad?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    TTony said:
    munckee said:
    I was just moaning we’d taken off Sterling who was our best player today!
    He runs around a lot, falls over a bit, and then runs around some more.

Best?

I'm with you on this Tony 
    I think until Germany scored he was the only player unsettling the German defence. Once Saka and Mount came on things changed.  

James and Bellingham had moments and Bellingham got man of the match but they weren’t very consistent I thought and disappeared at times.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    TTony said:
    munckee said:
    I was just moaning we’d taken off Sterling who was our best player today!
    He runs around a lot, falls over a bit, and then runs around some more.

Best?

I'm with you on this Tony 
    I think until Germany scored he was the only player unsettling the German defence. Once Saka and Mount came on things changed.  

James and Bellingham had moments and Bellingham got man of the match but they weren’t very consistent I thought and disappeared at times.  
    My issue with Sterling and this is not based on last night, so an overview - But he will sometimes run into a Cul De Sac and/or make the wrong decision - He has moments of excellence, but not consistent IMO to be considered anything like wow or great - Also when he misses good chances they tend to be when he has time to weigh up his options - Shoot by instinct, with no time to consider other options, than not so bad 

His strength is when we can counter attack, from around the 1/2 way line and either with the ball or running into space (as per his chance last night created by L Shaw) he can be excellent - But at times and to often, equally frustrating 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
     I didnt watch any of last nights game  - not even seen goals on the news..................  so were we shit ?  deserved a win ?  lucky to draw ?  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    bertie said:
     I didnt watch any of last nights game  - not even seen goals on the news..................  so were we shit ?  deserved a win ?  lucky to draw ?  

Didn't you see that ludicrous display last night?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    tony99 said:
    bertie said:

What was Wenger thinking, sending Walcott on that early?
  • It's coming up the time where I pick my World Cup team to follow. I like to pick a likeable underdog, then when they go out, I deal to the team who beat them, and then likewise in to the final.

Have not supported England for a good 15 years or so now, and international football is a lot more fun as a result
    tony99 said:
    bertie said:

I think there's a clue in my post :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think Eng being 2nd favourite to win WC (according to bookies) is mental. Nowhere near. 
    Talent is there, but "team" isn't IMHO.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited September 2022
    bertie said:

My take is we were just about on top of an average German team until second half when Maguire gifted them a penalty, then they turned it on for 10 minutes and went 2-0 up. 

We removed Foden who I had forgotten was playing and Sterling for Saka and Mount, we then won a game of suicidal football 3-0 and then comedy Pope fluffed up and it finished 3-3. 

Overall we were the better side for me but not by much.  
    I think Eng being 2nd favourite to win WC (according to bookies) 
    joke ? right ? 
    bertie said:

I wish I’d missed the Italy game.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    So back to a full programme again - 2 big ties in North London and Manchester this weekend - And a big East Midlands tie on Monday that might see a change in management if all doesn't go well 

And a busy Oct - Many clubs have 5-6 games and think that those in Europe have 8 or 9 games
  • Looking forward to the NLD tomorrow. I hope Partey is fit to play (didn't see him in training videos) and we have a rocking atmosphere at the Emirates like last season. 
    BBC reporting that EFC have received quite a hefty fine because of the PI at the game against CP in the last PL season. It comes on the back of a warning following their game against AV:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63090744?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    BBC reporting that EFC have received quite a hefty fine because of the PI at the game against CP in the last PL season. It comes on the back of a warning following their game against AV:

I heard about that on R5 today - 'Huddersfield got a fine, admittedly far less, for a similar invasion v Luton in a play off match - Ditto Port Vale, but an even smaller fine - So the fine looks like it is based on ability to pay, rather than the level of the offence 
    tony99 said:

I heard about that on R5 today - 'Huddersfield got a fine, admittedly far less, for a similar invasion v Luton in a play off match - Ditto Port Vale, but an even smaller fine - So the fine looks like it is based on ability to pay, rather than the level of the offence 
    Could be, but I think it might be cumulative following the warning after the villa game.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    tony99 said:

Sounds pretty reasonable logic to me.  
  • sev112 said:
    tony99 said:

Sounds pretty reasonable logic to me.  
    There's also a considerably larger number of Everton fans than Port Vale fans as well I guess
  • Pleased with the 3-1 win, good resilience to keep going after being pegged back to 1-1. Showing a lot more character now.

But real test is vs Liverpool next week. Even if we get beat I still wanna see us competing so looking forward to seeing how far we've really come.
    Hate to say this, but Arsenal appear to have put together a pretty decent team.  Saliba, Martinelli, Sako, even Xhaka (!), and Ramsdale looks a lot more solid than Hugo.

Still, every cloud (etc) and perhaps now that Emerson is suspended for a few games, we’ll play a decent right wing back instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I will admit I had my doubts on Arteta when he first took the job, as he had a major rebuilding project to do. But fair play he's shipped out the high wage earners, the ones not willing to pull their weight and all the deadwood and assembled a good side with a blend of youth and experience. There's a good unity in the team now. Saliba has been great since he's come into the backline. Martinelli is great, so is Saka and Jesus has been an excellent signing. Also Xhaka seems to be playing well in that more advanced role. Bit like he plays or Switzerland so we can see him play to his strengths more. The fans seem to love him again after the Crystal Palace incident. Credit to him he's come back as I was pretty sure he played his last game back then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Pleased with the 3-1 win, good resilience to keep going after being pegged back to 1-1. Showing a lot more character now.

But real test is vs Liverpool next week. Even if we get beat I still wanna see us competing so looking forward to seeing how far we've really come.
    I think you’ll beat Liverpool, they are all over the place at the moment.  No better time to play them.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I will admit I had my doubts on Arteta when he first took the job, as he had a major rebuilding project to do. But fair play he's shipped out the high wage earners, the ones not willing to pull their weight and all the deadwood and assembled a good side with a blend of youth and experience. There's a good unity in the team now. Saliba has been great since he's come into the backline. Martinelli is great, so is Saka and Jesus has been an excellent signing. Also Xhaka seems to be playing well in that more advanced role. Bit like he plays or Switzerland so we can see him play to his strengths more. The fans seem to love him again after the Crystal Palace incident. Credit to him he's come back as I was pretty sure he played his last game back then.
    I could have written that post! Pretty much exactly my thoughts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pleased with the 3-1 win, good resilience to keep going after being pegged back to 1-1. Showing a lot more character now.

I think you’ll beat Liverpool, they are all over the place at the moment.  No better time to play them.
    We'll see. Would be nice. The more proper proper test is vs Man City though.
    tFB Trader
    As a neutral, I thought the Arsenal v Spurs game was a good game - Entertaining - Arsenal look far more solid now than last year or so - Sending off was probably right, but I've seen far worse without a yellow card, let alone red, so correct

A question for Arsenal fans, and I don't mean this in away that is meant to belittle you - But what is your realistic goal this year - Not the dream goal, the realistic goal - Top 4 and a CL place ? - Top 4 and maybe a knock out trophy as well ? - Top 2 ?

Certainly based on the first 7/8 games then any of these are a strong option - It is hard to bet against Man City at the moment for the top spot (Man U could do the whole PL a favour tomorrow to give some hope elsewhere) - LFC are certainly not firing on all 4 cylinders, but time to change that - Even against Man U when Arsenal lost they played well for a good chunk of the game until they 'went for broke' when maybe they could have sat tight and taken a point 

Moving on to another point - Chelsea and Thiago Silva - Boy was he lucky not to have had a red
  • Depending on injuries we should be finishing in the top 4. Even 3rd is achievable on current form. But my worry is if Jesus picks up an injury we have no proven cover. Nketiah works hard and can get goals but can he fill the void? Partey never stays fit for more than 5 games. I'd like to see us get 3rd/4th and an FA Cup maybe. I don't think we're going to be challenging Man City for the title, but we're getting closer to closing the gap.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Clubs with managers who may be sacked very soon…

West Brom
    Wolves
    Leicester
    Villa
    Middlesbrough

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Pleased with the 3-1 win, good resilience to keep going after being pegged back to 1-1. Showing a lot more character now.

Agreed. You've got to beat the mid-table teams  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis