Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2022
    At the risk of sounding silly, what's FFL? Fantasy Football League? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • At the risk of sounding silly, what's FFL? Fantasy Football League? 
    Fat Frank Lampard
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    He uses odd little initialisms for some reason. God knows why.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2022
    Looooooool.

You could hear the chants of 10 MEN AND HIS FORK LIFT TRUCK COULDN'T CARRY LAMPARD all through the game yesterday. 

Meanness of the highest order. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looooooool.

You could hear the chants of 10 MEN AND HIS FORK LIFT TRUCK COULDN'T CARRY LAMPARD all through the game yesterday. 

Meanness of the highest order. 
    To be fair mate old moysey looks like he's sprouted a cracking pair of tits now.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    Fat Frank Lampard
    Kind of right but that will do - Just change Fat for another adjective - Or indeed Frank 'effing' Lampard - same difference 
  • RobDavies said:
    Fat Frank Lampard
    Kind of right but that will do - Just change Fat for another adjective - Or indeed Frank 'effing' Lampard - same difference 
    Where does this animosity come from? 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I don’t get the Frank-hate either.

He always seemed like a pretty good player, with a good footballing heritage and generally decent personal background.

OTOH, John Terry .....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited September 2022
    TTony said:

He always seemed like a pretty good player, with a good footballing heritage and generally decent personal background.

OTOH, John Terry .....
    You'll find the ones who don't like Frank Lampard tend to have a soft spot for Steven Gerrard. It's a bit of jealousy really. 
  • TTony said:

OTOH, John Terry .....
    Oh I don't like him as a player as a West Ham fan. But that's purely football banter. It's really just gentle ribbing from me. As a person, I've no issue.
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    Fat Frank Lampard

It started with him at Derby and a few early stories - Then the spy gate scandal - Then when Derby beat Leeds at ER to get to the play off final he did not shake Bielsa hand after the game, preferring to go with his players to the Derby fans - Then when Bielsa got a FIFA fair play award, following the game v Villa when he instructed his team to allow Villa to equalise following an incident, Lampard was very outspoken about that award given to MB - Then the Chelsea connection doesn't help - More if you want - But FFL works for me

@tony99 - I agree I much prefer Stevie G as a player and a person - No contest - But not a jealousy issue at all - Just preference - think that is still aloud 
    RobDavies said:
    Fat Frank Lampard

It started with him at Derby and a few early stories - Then the spy gate scandal - Then when Derby beat Leeds at ER to get to the play off final he did not shake Bielsa hand after the game, preferring to go with his players to the Derby fans - Then when Bielsa got a FIFA fair play award, following the game v Villa when he instructed his team to allow Villa to equalise following an incident, Lampard was very outspoken about that award given to MB - Then the Chelsea connection doesn't help - More if you want - But FFL works for me

@tony99 - I agree I much prefer Stevie G as a player and a person - No contest - But not a jealousy issue at all - Just preference - think that is still aloud 
    Oh right. You put "no contest". I guess that settles it.
    edited September 2022
    tony99 said:
    RobDavies said:
    Fat Frank Lampard

Oh right. You put "no contest". I guess that settles it.
    Well it does if it's his personal preference lol.
    I can't judge them as people, I've never met either. But yeah. if he thinks Gerrard was a better player then that's his preference. Not sure what he bases it on though.
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    I can't judge them as people, I've never met either. But yeah. if he thinks Gerrard was a better player then that's his preference. Not sure what he bases it on though.
    Is preference not allowed 

But this is pointless and going no where, so I'm off
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    Is preference not allowed 

But this is pointless and going no where, so I'm off
    Ok well thanks for tagging me in earlier.
    tFB Trader
    So who is looking forward to the International matches over the coming weekend 

No Phillips for England - Needs a shoulder OP so maybe hit 'n' miss as to getting fit in time for the WC - So assume a chance for Jude Belingham to sit along side Rice and show some of his impressive club form in the DM role 
  • So it seems the source of the animosity towards Lampard is mostly because of somebody else spying on his team whilst training? Have I understood that correctly?

I do enjoy these kinds of irrational beefs within football. For us at West Brom, its usually anybody who has ever played for the Villa apart from Kevin Phillips, Andy Carroll until he played for us for a few matches and then he was ok, and bizarrely, Don Goodman (who does a lot of championship based punditry around our matches).

Our vendettas with (current defender) Kyle Bartley, Tony Pulis and Neil Warnock however are all entirely justified and perfectly reasonable
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I don’t mind FL but I can’t stand Stevie G. 

Not sure why. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    CHRISB50 said:
    I don’t mind FL but I can’t stand Stevie G. 

Not sure why. 
    Two great players for me. 

When you are that high profile you are always going to get a percentage of people that hate you.
  • Now Jamie Carragher I'm sure we can all get behind with our dislike. :lol: 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Now Jamie Carragher I'm sure we can all get behind with our dislike. :lol: 
    I'll join you when Sky do subtitles for what he's saying. Until then he could be reciting the works of Shakespeare for all I know. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Now Jamie Carragher I'm sure we can all get behind with our dislike. :lol: 
    I'll join you when Sky do subtitles for what he's saying. Until then he could be reciting the works of Shakespeare for all I know. 
    I don't dislike him, but can see where you are coming from

Yet G Neville I'll give top marks to - Probably the best pundit I've known - Before he started the role I thought no way - He will be far to blinkered towards Man U - But by and large speaks a good show on so many related issues 
    edited September 2022
    Yea spitting all over a child will earn you some dislike. 
    The only individual player that immediately springs to my mind as someone that I'd not cross the road (etc) for is Sol Campbell.

There are probably others who I might dislike for their apparent attitude or tactics on the pitch, but not to the extent of Judas.
    tFB Trader
    Yea spitting all over a child will earn you some dislike. 
    Yes - Forgot about that 
    tFB Trader
    I just can't get excited about this weekends international matches - Trying to turn a few boring friendlies into a pointless tournament that is not the WC or the Euros - Especially as we have failed so far in this campaign

However for Gareth this is almost his final chance to get his plans into gear before the WC - Many players are barely getting club game time - Chillwell, Shaw, Maguire for starters - A few not clicking - Mount and Grealish  - A few injuries, so no Pickford or Phillips for these matches - A few obvious starters, namely Kane and Rice but otherwise more questions than answers -  Two strong teams to play - Italy + Germany - So can't see him playing a B team as such, yet he needs to see how such players will respond/fit in, if required

Hopefully Jude Bellingham will start along side Rice in that DM role - But will it be  4-3-3 line up or more 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2) with wing backs - Will he play Trippier out of position at LB or stick with Chillwell or Shaw - Does he risk A Arnold who is great going forward for LFC but defensively there are many questions about him

Then add, that for many players with mid week European club fixtures, they have a heavy work load during Oct + early Nov, so might be reserved about their effort this weekend - And even for following club games, the fear of getting injured before the WC might well be on their mind as well
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I hate international breaks. Roll on the resumption of the League.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I just can't get excited about this weekends international matches - Trying to turn a few boring friendlies into a pointless tournament that is not the WC or the Euros 
    I'm with you.

I guess it's an attempt at dressing up friendlies by pretending that the games are part of another tournament.  If it means that we play "proper" teams - by which I mean the A-team of countries in the top 30-odd - then perhaps it's a useful indicator of our readiness for the World Cup, as opposed to a completely meaningless friendly in which we play our C-team against someone ranked 101st in the world.

But I guess everyone will make 17subs in the second half so that all the managers can take a look at all the outer-fringe players before they firm-up plans for the WC, so it's little more than a practice game.

The tournament itself is worthless.  TBH, I don't even know who the games are against!