Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

Not fun for everyone though is it? What about those who support Villa, Everton or Leicester?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Finding it hard to understand this decision. I get that this has affected many people and they want to mark this, not my thing but I understand it's a significant moment. But this seems extreme. Have they thought of the fans who have already booked trains flights, and accommodation? And of the many who would have been employed at events and the local business benefitting? Surely if people want to show their respects, a minute's silence at such a communal event is a fitting way? If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

Totally agree - I have 2 friends with tickets for today at The Oval v SA - Yes they'll get a refund but that is not the point - They wanted a 2/3 day trip to London - paid for the hotel + train - Will have a nice bite out etc - And those parts are not refundable and they don't get to see the cricket 

full refund and no cricket to watch....  sounds like the sojourn to the big smoke just improved imho  ;-)

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Finding it hard to understand this decision. I get that this has affected many people and they want to mark this, not my thing but I understand it's a significant moment. But this seems extreme. Have they thought of the fans who have already booked trains flights, and accommodation? And of the many who would have been employed at events and the local business benefitting? Surely if people want to show their respects, a minute's silence at such a communal event is a fitting way? If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

I believe that it's to do with the need for the police to be available for dealing with mourners, etc., and not being at football matches and therefore possibly unavailable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalf said:
    Finding it hard to understand this decision. I get that this has affected many people and they want to mark this, not my thing but I understand it's a significant moment. But this seems extreme. Have they thought of the fans who have already booked trains flights, and accommodation? And of the many who would have been employed at events and the local business benefitting? Surely if people want to show their respects, a minute's silence at such a communal event is a fitting way? If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

I believe that it's to do with the need for the police to be available for dealing with mourners, etc., and not being at football matches and therefore possibly unavailable. 
    Where have you heard this? The official line is halting the matches was agreed purely as a mark of respect. Non-league and grassroots football has also been cancelled, even at the lowest levels where the crowds will be low and not much need for a police presence. Looking at my Welsh football app, even under 12's matches are off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah I think the Gov had told the EFL at least, that it was their decision whether to postpone or not. The policing thing makes sense but I'd have thought that would have come from the Gov or Police themselves, rather than being an EFL/EPL decision
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Yeah I think the Gov had told the EFL at least, that it was their decision whether to postpone or not. The policing thing makes sense but I'd have thought that would have come from the Gov or Police themselves, rather than being an EFL/EPL decision
    Agreed, Policing excuse is a load of rubbish (probably made up by rolayists) - are they expecting millions of people across the land at the local town hall between 3 and 5pm tomorrow?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Some matches will be back this weekend - For one reason or another, by the time Leeds play Villa on 2nd Oct they will have had a 30 day break with no matches 

CL match tonight - Barcelona v B Munich could be an interesting game
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited September 2022
    so that  "just like Cruyff" Haaland goal  -   serious Q to the footy knowledgeable, why wasnt it a freekick for high/dangerous use of the boot ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    tFB Trader
    bertie said:
    so that  "just like Cruyff" Haaland goal  -   serious Q to the footy knowledgeable, why wasnt it a freekick for high/dangerous use of the boot ? 
    Might have been if the defender was close by trying to head it clear, but no one close to such a situation, but a valid question

Some might recall Gerhard Muller in 1970 v England in a 1/4 final - maybe it was not as high but similar-ish
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    bertie said:
    Might have been if the defender was close by trying to head it clear, but no one close to such a situation, but a valid question

Some might recall Gerhard Muller in 1970 v England in a 1/4 final - maybe it was not as high but similar-ish
    Mullers legs were never long enough to get near anyone's head-height  =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Sonsational from Spurs no. 7.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    scrumhalf said:
    Sonsational from Spurs no. 7.
    It's good to have him back!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Was thinking of taking him out of my fantasy team too! 

• Pity Man U vs Leeds was called off.

Basically a month off the Prem for Man U, missing Palace and Leeds then re starting against City away.  Difficult for all teams but I fear the momentum we we getting will come to an abrupt stop in a couple of weeks!
  • Wow stark contrast to last season's opening game vs Brentford. We have so more grit and backbone now. We also look a much better side when Partey plays but unfortunately he can't stay it for more than 3 games. Vieira looks a great prospect. Took his goal amazingly well and it was nice to see the young lad make his debut. Bring on Tottenham!!
    tFB Trader

Pity Man U vs Leeds was called off.

Basically a month off the Prem for Man U, missing Palace and Leeds then re starting against City away.  Difficult for all teams but I fear the momentum we we getting will come to an abrupt stop in a couple of weeks!
    ditto for Leeds - around 29 days between matches 
    tFB Trader
    Wow stark contrast to last season's opening game vs Brentford. We have so more grit and backbone now. We also look a much better side when Partey plays but unfortunately he can't stay it for more than 3 games. Vieira looks a great prospect. Took his goal amazingly well and it was nice to see the young lad make his debut. Bring on Tottenham!!
    Watched the match today and Arsenal looked very useful today - Sounds like the Brentford fans extended the minute silence to the whole match other than the 1 minute applause at 70 mins

Like the chant for the young Arsenal lad when he came on - Sorry I did not get his name, but you know who I mean - Not even 16 yet
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    “He’s going to school in the morning!”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Pity Man U vs Leeds was called off.

ditto for Leeds - around 29 days between matches 
    True but I don’t think Leeds really had much momentum to lose and Forest at home is probably not quite the prospect as City away after the month off.  That said, all teams have the same re mobilisation issue and I can’t really complain too much when we have the expensive squad we do.  I just think the fragile momentum we had got will now disappear.  The likely spanking off City would have been less of a blip if it had been preceded by 4-6 points off Palace / Leeds (not that we would have definitely got that but you never know). 

• Wow stark contrast to last season's opening game vs Brentford. We have so more grit and backbone now. We also look a much better side when Partey plays but unfortunately he can't stay it for more than 3 games. Vieira looks a great prospect. Took his goal amazingly well and it was nice to see the young lad make his debut. Bring on Tottenham!!
    Watched the match today and Arsenal looked very useful today - Sounds like the Brentford fans extended the minute silence to the whole match other than the 1 minute applause at 70 mins

Like the chant for the young Arsenal lad when he came on - Sorry I did not get his name, but you know who I mean - Not even 16 yet
    Sunday 12 o clock ko kills any atmosphere - always has done.    Brentford’s worst performance since being promoted probably didn’t help much - and neither did the ’ enforced mourning’ at all the grounds this weekend. 

Thomas Frank got it very wrong today… still playing five at the back when you’re three nil down reeks of damage limitation, and very unlike us. 

Arsenal do look good though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hats off to Arsenal, a great start to the season. Jesus was a great buy. I wasn't convinced by Arteta for his first few seasons, but he is getting things right now. I can't see them beating City for the title though. I should put £100 on City right now, I'll get something back if they win but I will be ecstatic if they don't. A win win scenario!
  • I think the problem with getting excited about Arsenal at the moment is they look like they are playing at their maximum potential and still look to have a relatively thin squad. Lots of other teams have started badly or look like they are playing in 2nd gear which probably wont continue.
    The chances of Arsenal having a whole season without getting a few injuries to vital players or a drop in form is very unlikely and two or three bad games drops them a fair few places at the moment.
    Or they could carry on and win the league, what do I know

• Arsenal are looking great, good to bounce back from the Man U defeat, where I thought they looked the better team but got done tactically.

Bigger test on Saturday though. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Ham doing my stress levels their normal annual thing … grrrr
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2022
    Yes we are shit, but also unlucky. We were unlucky not to beat Forest, unlucky with two bogus VAR calls, unlucky not to get a draw yesterday. We haven't conceded a load of goals and our new striker got sick, and our new defender got ruined in pre season. 

Too many people are calling for his job. I know we haven't been great for about 7 months but he took us out of the relegation zone and into a Europa League semi final and then back into Europe.

However, he does keep playing Soucek and Bowen who are awful, and he isn't playing the two new signings who are exciting and have come out on form right away, Cornet and Emerson. And he refused to play Antonio and Scammaca up front together which means Antonio is often alone with no one to play the ball to. But it can take a while to bed a lot of new signings in. 

This is a period of transition for the team and he deserves time and loyalty. Moyes in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Yes we are shit, but also unlucky. We were unlucky not to beat Forest, unlucky with two bogus VAR calls, unlucky not to get a draw yesterday. We haven't conceded a load of goals and our new striker got sick, and our new defender got ruined in pre season. 

Too many people are calling for his job. I know we haven't been great for about 7 months but he took us out of the relegation zone and into a Europa League semi final and then back into Europe.

However, he does keep playing Soucek and Bowen who are awful, and he isn't playing the two new signings who are exciting and have come out on form right away, Cornet and Emerson. And he refused to play Antonio and Scammaca up front together which means Antonio is often alone with no one to play the ball to. But it can take a while to bed a lot of new signings in. 

This is a period of transition for the team and he deserves time and loyalty. Moyes in. 
    Are there some wanting Moyes out?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457

Agree with all that 100%

• tony99 said:

Are there some wanting Moyes out?
    Yea it's all over the forums and the comments. Look at this video. It's madness.

• sev112 said:

Agree with all that 100%

Thanks. And what would happen if we get Zidane in for example? We already had one of the best managers in the world in Pellegrini and we were torrid. So would anything actually change?

He needs till at least after the World Cup if you ask me. If we are still basically bottom in the new year let's have a chat about it. But until then, I'm sticking with him.
    tFB Trader

I was willing you on to beat Everton - I can't stand FFL - Agree you didn't deserve to loose but equally didn't serve to win - Not quite sure why it is not quite working at the moment - But everything just broke down to easily when on the offensive, almost a stagger at times