Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    To play devil's advocate, Tuchel hasn't done himself any favours by slagging off the team after every poor performance this season, as if it was all nothing to do with him.  In fact he seems to have gone slightly mad - and the signs were already there at the end of last season.

To be fair he did blame himself last night...

My money's on Ted Lasso coming in as his replacement.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    To play devil's advocate, Tuchel hasn't done himself any favours by slagging off the team after every poor performance this season, as if it was all nothing to do with him.  In fact he seems to have gone slightly mad - and the signs were already there at the end of last season.
    The more I think about it, without any inside info from the Chelsea owners camp, I think this has a lot to do with it - Rich American owners who don't know the game, yet have invested millions, both buying the club, plus recent transfer funds - They have purchased what they believe to be a clean, prized, professional company, yet the figurehead of that company has acted like an uncouth  yob both on/off the pitch with his antics and interviews - He is/was probably to much of an individual within a 'blue chip' corporate company - Just my hunch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They should get Big Sam in to save their season :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Philly_Q said:
    Brendan Rodgers will be looking for a new challenge soon....
    Been waiting for Brendan or Frank to get the chop this week. Thought one of them would be first.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Jalapeno said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Brendan Rodgers will be looking for a new challenge soon....
    Been waiting for Brendan or Frank to get the chop this week. Thought one of them would be first.

Well, on a positive note, Chelsea’s new owners are off to a winning start!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    So Thomas Tuchus gets the heave-ho. Apparently he had lost the confidence of the players.

For fuck's sake, he's only known half of them for ten minutes. Wonderfully stupid move by rich owners who think that money can buy anything. It can buy you new players but it cannot buy you class

Who would have thought that Ken Bates would be looked on with nostalgia. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    So Thomas Tuchus gets the heave-ho. Apparently he had lost the confidence of the players.

For fuck's sake, he's only known half of them for ten minutes. Wonderfully stupid move by rich owners who think that money can buy anything. It can buy you new players but it cannot buy you class

Who would have thought that Ken Bates would be looked on with nostalgia
    As a Leeds fan then not from my view point - but I get the humour in the quote
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    scrumhalf said:

Who would have thought that Ken Bates would be looked on with nostalgia. 
    God I hope those despicable chelsea owners had the guts to look him in the eye when they shook his hand to say goodbye.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Thomas 'Two Year' Tuchel. This shouldn't be a shock.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Brendan an upgrade on Tuchel?!?!?!?!?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Have Roma sacked Mourinho yet?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Potter is the wrong choice surely?  They are not a club that has a history of giving the manager time to develop anything and Potter will need more than 18 months to make his impact like he has done in Brighton.   This feels like a Man U hiring Moyes move, expecting Moyes to do what he done at 10 years at Everton, and then not give him any time to make his mark.

What they need is someone who's had experience of top-level leadership, is used to working in an international environment if required, and is also ruthless when it comes to moving on those team members who are no longer pulling their weight. And he's out of contract, so no large compensation fees to pay. 

It has to be BoJo for the Bridge. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    What they need is someone who's had experience of top-level leadership, is used to working in an international environment if required, and is also ruthless when it comes to moving on those team members who are no longer pulling their weight. And he's out of contract, so no large compensation fees to pay. 

His first task presumably would be getting them out of Europe?
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalf said:

His first task presumably would be getting them out of Europe?
    Close the thread. We have a winner. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2022
    Potter is the wrong choice surely?  They are not a club that has a history of giving the manager time to develop anything and Potter will need more than 18 months to make his impact like he has done in Brighton.   This feels like a Man U hiring Moyes move, expecting Moyes to do what he done at 10 years at Everton, and then not give him any time to make his mark.
    If they do approach Potter, I hope he's enough of a mould-breaker to turn them down.  Although Chelsea have enough under-23s (out on loan) for him to build up two or three complete squads for the future, if he lasts that long.
  • Chelsea is the wrong choice for him, for any up and coming manager. They'll chew him up and spit him out. Stay at Brighton. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Chelsea is the wrong choice for him, for any up and coming manager. They'll chew him up and spit him out. Stay at Brighton. 
    Sounds like it's all but done. Meeting with Chelsea tonight and they're hoping to make a formal announcement tomorrow morning. 

Crazy decision if he goes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I can understand why he would take the job, it’s a dream job for any English manager who work up from the bottom to manage one of the big clubs in the PL, with Champion’s League opportunity and huge financial backing to boot.

Not surprised he has taken it but i am surprised Chelsea has gone for him, since their way of doing things do not match the way Potter does things.  There seems to be a conflict in practice.

Unless of course Chelsea is willing to give him time, regardless of where they finish in the league this season since it will take the remainder of this season to see Potter’s influence felt.  Not to mention that the team there isn’t his, apart from 1 player basically.

I also question the quality of players Chelsea can attract under Potter too, Tuchel is a much bigger name with League and CL titles under his CV.  I would think not all big players would be attracted to play under Potter, vs Tuchel, given under the same circumstances.
    edited September 2022
    I also question the quality of players Chelsea can attract under Potter too, Tuchel is a much bigger name with League and CL titles under his CV.  I would think not all big players would be attracted to play under Potter, vs Tuchel, given under the same circumstances.
    I think they've got things in their favour though, regardless of the manager - already in the CL, recent success, big name players already at the club, big wages.  Even living in London (sorry Northerners) is an attraction for many overseas players (and their families).

And any player going to Chelsea knows the manager's going to be sacked within a year or two anyway.
    It's win-win for Potter if he goes to Chel$ea.

If he's a success then he will be among the best in the world.

If he fails everyone will blame Chelsea's owners, his reputation will not be harmed, he'll be financially set for life and he'll be able to walk into any job in football.

That said, however, I hope he turns them down and Big Sam ends up in charge. 
  • As a Leicester City fan, I have to say that Brendan Rogers would be a perfect fit for Chelsea. Plus I'm sure he would love to work with Fofana and Chilwell again
  • I hope they've not overlooked Steve Bruce, thinking he would be unattainable - honestly we'd probably drive him then ourselves
    tFB Trader
    Somewhat of a mixed bag on this one - I dare say a chat between Potter and Chelsea will reveal a lot - Expectations, time scale to achieve trophies, development, who each are as a person etc development of all football related issues at Chelsea, U23, U18 etc, or just first team - And that chat will work both ways

Part of me say's it is good that Chelsea can look at someone who obviously has potential, but as yet not 'had to win' any honours - Fresh approach for all - There are 'big' clubs that keep chasing the alleged elite managers and it is just a merry go round - So will be good to give the likes of Potter a chance to see where it goes 

Equally he could stay at Brighton and be always a well respected manager - Brighton are currently probably boxing above their weight - Probably never win anything - And I don't want that to sound like it is a bad thing - If Brighton finish between 8th and 4th, for 5 seasons on the trot under Potter, with a good cup run or two - The odd day out at Wembley, yet win nothing, then I dare say many fans would buy that now  - But only Potter will know if that is what he wants 

If he did not take such a job at Chelsea then what is a next potential step up - Villa/Everton/Leeds if/when they become available and try to turn former big name clubs back into what is expected of them, as far as their fans want/expect  - Or England when Gareth goes - Or jump in whilst the chance is available with such a big brand

The fans have their expectations - So do the owners - So do many of the ego's wearing blue - At Brighton he can impose his ideas, game plan etc etc - Will Chelsea players allow him to do likewise 
  • The trouble is for Potter, he's done well at Brighton and continues to do well, but it's not just him - it's the scouting and training teams behind it all as well. They had Dan Ashworth behind the scenes until relatively recently, and he was previously the sole reason my club (West Brom) stayed mid table in the premier for several years when in reality, we are just a mid table championship club. He was also in charge of England youth setup after he left us, and since then England have gone on to World Cup semi and Euro final with young players. He's now gone to Newcastle I believe.

Potter could stay at Brighton but have one bad season where it all goes pear shaped and suddenly he's tainted. Look how long it took Eddie Howe to return after one bad season with Bournemouth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I feel a tad sad if Potter is leaving Brighton, not that I have any interest in the club, but it was a lovely story that they were doing so well under him. Personally I don't think he's the right fit for Chelsea, but I wish him well. I'd like his to succeed but I alway want Chelsea to fail so it's a bit awkward!
    I was sorry when Potter left Swansea, even though he was only there for a year and hadn't really started to work his magic.  He just seems like a very interesting and "different" character.
  • @mudslide73 do you recall Potter when he played at Albion? I seem to recall him having a less than favourable alliterative Nickname
  • @mudslide73 do you recall Potter when he played at Albion? I seem to recall him having a less than favourable alliterative Nickname
    I remember him but I wasn't going down then. I remember thinking he was hardworking but limited when I watched them on TV. That Denis Smith side couldn't defend despite him being a formidable defender and a hero to my Stokie mates. I can't remember Graham's nickname though. I'm a bit of a plastic in that I only started going again when Sir Gary pitched up and got a ST in Pulis's second season.. I've been made to suffer as you know.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    See the mighty Liverpool let 4 in; it's a quadruple of sorts I suppose.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter