Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    What's the point in it if you just have the same human error in play. 
    The VAR humans are a nice safe distance away from the crowd  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    VAR sucks. We were robbed today. That was NEVER a foul.

I think you have to support one of the super -league six if you want to reap the benefits of VAR.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    So much for Haaland being the best striker ever.

Only scored once today!  

Good to see Dane Scarlett (Spurs loanee) getting both goals for Portsmouth today.  He's scored a few this season and is playing every game.  That's going to set him up well for next season ...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

VAR is utter sh*te and just confirmed what we knew all along, the quality of refereeing football is way below par.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    joneve's very quiet..................................again..................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:

VAR is utter sh*te and just confirmed what we knew all along... 
    At the risk of repeating myself: get VAR in the fucking sea. I've said it since day one. Adds absolutely nothing to the game other than expense and delay. 
  • I’ve no problem with VAR - it seems to work well, and fairly in 99% of cases.  

Although looking at MOTD, I think Leeds were a bit unlucky not to get a pen at our place yesterday and I’m surprised someone at Stockley Park didn’t have a word with the ref.  

But it’s Leeds so fuck em.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    I’ve no problem with VAR - it seems to work well, and fairly in 99% of cases.  

Although looking at MOTD, I think Leeds were a bit unlucky not to get a pen at our place yesterday and I’m surprised someone at Stockley Park didn’t have a word with the ref.  

But it’s Leeds so fuck em.  ;)
    Happy with the first bit but not the last line - But no worries as we are born to accept everyone else's love for us ?

The issue with VAR, refs and penalties is that somehow the application of the rule book has changed - The first question is 'is it a foul' ? - Then assuming yes, then where did the foul take place - Was it in the box or outside ? - There is nowhere in the rule book that implies/states that there should be a two tier policy for fouls, in that a foul in the penalty area it has to be a more serious foul for it to be considered a foul and subsequently a penalty - If it can be awarded as a foul outside the penalty box, then the same should apply inside the box 

Look at Arsenal and Saka v Villa a game or two ago and Mings manhandled him to the ground - Anywhere else on the pitch that would have been a foul - As such that foul was a penalty - End off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Great comeback by us vs Forest! Finally Dom woke up!

#upthecherries 
    Absolutely fucking livid. 3 points well deserved by bournemouth. 

Hopefully we actually play a striker against Leeds :-/
    bertie said:
    joneve's very quiet..................................again..................
    Was out camping with my lad, drinking myself into oblivion to try and forget about that shite yesterday. 

Not panicking yet, but need to be better than that! 
  • joneve said:

#upthecherries 

A billion quid on players and Forest are still playing Cook, McKenna and Worrell at the back.  

Very strange. 
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

#upthecherries 

A billion quid k players and  Forest are still playing Cook, McKenna and Worrell at the back.  

Very strange. 
    Aye. I love them (and McKenna’s mistake yesterday is the first he’s made since the beginning of last season) but we massively miss Niakhaté (injured) and hopefully Badé and Boly can give us some better strength at the back. 

Only Chelsea and Spurs play with a back 3, and we don’t have the personnel they do 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Spurs only have a back three when going forward. When defending we have a back five, and a row of four in front of them. Except when we get caught on the break, when we're all over the place.

Yesterday's game showed how we missed Bentancur, he glides across the pitch and steals the ball from opponents. He is class. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Yesterday's game showed how we missed Bentancur, he glides across the pitch and steals the ball from opponents. He is class. 

TTony said:

Did that game show how important Bentancur is to the team?  He just does “stuff” that makes the team work without ever being particularly noticeable.  

I agreed already
    ;)
    In other news, is it looking a bit iffy for Leicester?

Selling off some of their more valuable players, a manager who was clearly unhappy with the lack of funds reinvested, and a start to the season that's looking ever-less like "just the first few games".
  • West Ham play with a back three at various times. We played three at the back against Villa. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    TTony said:
    In other news, is it looking a bit iffy for Leicester?

Selling off some of their more valuable players, a manager who was clearly unhappy with the lack of funds reinvested, and a start to the season that's looking ever-less like "just the first few games".
    I think Rodgers will be gone soon-ish.
  • West Ham play with a back three at various times. We played three at the back against Villa. 
    Yeah that's cos Villa are rubbish init ;)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Wow. Brilliant win for United. 

What a difference a season makes...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

I had a bet it would be 3-1 - Got the right scoreline but the wrong way round - Your thoughts on Rashford now !!!!!!

They rode their luck a couple of times but overall looked far more solid - Great work, especially considering they played the first 67 mins or so with 10 men- I bet you can't tell me one good thing that Sancho did 

Only 2 points behind city now as well

As a neutral I thought it was a good game - Arsenal probably committed Harakiri a bit to early 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    edited September 2022

We definitely look more like a team.  Arsenal got on top after the VAR decision but that opened up the counter attack for us.  

Arsenal played well, perhaps deserved more but went of the boil after the 3 substitutions.  

I predicted 2-1 to United, I thought we’d get something out of the game.   The manager really seems to be getting the best out of the players so definitely looks better than it did a few weeks ago.

So, is Antony the latest, high-priced one-man saviour of Man Utd?

It seems that (for all the Glazer-criticism) they manage to bring in at least a couple of expensive players every window ... they arrive in a blaze of glory and expectation, and then, errr, Fred, McGuire, Bruno, van de Beek, Sancho ...
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Hattigol said:

I had a bet it would be 3-1 - Got the right scoreline but the wrong way round - Your thoughts on Rashford now !!!!!!

They rode their luck a couple of times but overall looked far more solid - Great work, especially considering they played the first 67 mins or so with 10 men- I bet you can't tell me one good thing that Sancho did 

As a neutral I thought it was a good game - Arsenal probably committed Harakiri a bit to early 
    Don't be fooled by the media love-in with Rashford. He totally messed up that first one - he delayed and allowed the defender to get back in. His shot then took a horrible deflection, without which, Ramsdale had it covered.

The second one was a tap-in after a great run from Erikson. 

He isn't good enough.

But v happy with the win. Been some serious lows recently. Not getting carried away at all but nice to see some belief returning. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:

Don't be fooled by the media love-in with Rashford. He totally messed up that first one - he delayed and allowed the defender to get back in. His shot then took a horrible deflection, without which, Ramsdale had it covered.

The second one was a tap-in after a great run from Erikson. 

He isn't good enough.

But v happy with the win. Been some serious lows recently. Not getting carried away at all but nice to see some belief returning. 
    Agree that Eriksen deserved MOM - He's like a poor mans Modric (and I mean that in a good way) - No pace as such put so much time and vision 

Just winding you up about Rashford - Don't think Southgate will have him back yet, even though there is a lack of obvious back up options for 'Arry - You can't argue with 4 wins on the trot and a fairly solid 3-1 win today - But all 3 goals were on the counter attack - Some games they will need to create goals via other means 

• I think the irony with Rashford, is his success highlights the deficiency the team still has.  He doesn’t really work as a great no.9 but on the counter attack he is very good.  He has pace and does well at one on ones.

E10H wants to control possession but we are not quite doing that so in the absence of controlling the game most of the time Rashford is a very useful player.  Surely if the midfield gel and we can control games and operate in a high press Ronaldo will start in the centre more.

Either way, good to see some previously written off players starting to look good, that’s signs of a top manager.

• Hattigol said:
    Agree fthat Eriksen deserved MOM - He's like a poor mans Modric (and I mean that in a good way) - No pace as such put so much time and vision 

Eriksen Has been great, gives us an added layer of creativity rather than everything being on Bruno.  I didn’t think these 2 would work together, I thought it would leave too many hopes defensively, but they are both doing pulling their weight in that department. I’m not missing Pogba one bit.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Fab win for Man U!!! I felt that if we lost it would just seem like we weren't really getting anywhere, but this is just a great result. Looks like Rashford is finding his mojo again.

It took a decade to employ the right kind of manager, that is pretty shambolic running of a club*

*in all fairness, I think that Moyes could have been the right manager, the first big mistake was sacking him too soon.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    Fab win for Man U!!! I felt that if we lost it would just seem like we weren't really getting anywhere, but this is just a great result. Looks like Rashford is finding his mojo again.

It took a decade to employ the right kind of manager, that is pretty shambolic running of a club*

*in all fairness, I think that Moyes could have been the right manager, the first big mistake was sacking him too soon.
    The first big mistake was asking someone, anyone, (regardless of who they were) to follow Fergie.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • 5 wins from 5 is great and all but again we need to see the real test by playing City and Liverpool. Those teams we expect to beat, with a fully fit squad to choose from.

Arsenal have done really well and looked great today but there’s far more ‘real’ tests than City and Liverpool.  Everton, Brentford, Spurs, Liverpool, Leeds, City coming up.  This far more difficult than the first 5 games, where only Fulham were a current top half team.
    Great start but crazy you ‘expect’ to beat City, they are on a different level.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2022
    I think he meant they expect to beat the five they had beaten at that point