Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    Quite a few bournemouth fans on the radio being pretty disrespectful to a manager who like him or not got them promoted out of a tough division. Make me hope they get relegated!
    Sounds about right from my experience. 
    I’m a palace fan but had a Bournemouth season ticket for 6 years through work up until last season. They are a proper family club and I felt that they love limited players there who give their all more than high priced Carlos Kickaball types . From talking to mates today who still go , they felt parker wanted to take more financial risks on new players than not only the board but most of the fans too. Don’t forget a fan is for life , a player or manager at a club like Bournemouth who does well is looking for the next bigger opportunity and is possibly less concerned about long term financial risk. The two blokes I spoke to today were happy to give the players that got them up a chance in the big league unlike parker : Maybe that’s a hangover from the Eddie Howe era who kept a lot of players from div 1 into the prem. (Howe is / was a fantastic manager tbf)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Soton 2 - 1 Chelski

And how much have Chelsea spent this summer???

It's starting out as a weird season;

Arse
    Mancs
    Spurs 
    (ok, so far, so reasonble)

Brighton
    Leeds
    Fulham
    Soton
    (what ???)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    TTony said:
    Soton 2 - 1 Chelski

And how much have Chelsea spent this summer???

It's starting out as a weird season;

Arse
    Mancs
    Spurs 
    (ok, so far, so reasonble)

Brighton
    Leeds
    Fulham
    Soton
    (what ???)
    Hopefully we'll bring you down a few places tomorrow ;) 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    Quite a few bournemouth fans on the radio being pretty disrespectful to a manager who like him or not got them promoted out of a tough division. Make me hope they get relegated!
    Sounds about right from my experience. 
    I’m a palace fan but had a Bournemouth season ticket for 6 years through work up until last season. They are a proper family club and I felt that they love limited players there who give their all more than high priced Carlos Kickaball types . From talking to mates today who still go , they felt parker wanted to take more financial risks on new players than not only the board but most of the fans too. Don’t forget a fan is for life , a player or manager at a club like Bournemouth who does well is looking for the next bigger opportunity and is possibly less concerned about long term financial risk. The two blokes I spoke to today were happy to give the players that got them up a chance in the big league unlike parker : Maybe that’s a hangover from the Eddie Howe era who kept a lot of players from div 1 into the prem. (Howe is / was a fantastic manager tbf)
    That mindset is fine, if you’re happy with your club just continuing to yo-yo between leagues but the Premier League is the most difficult league in the world for a reason. You can’t just keep the same squad through loyalty, spend nothing on improving your squad and hope for the best. That’s not to say you don’t keep a core of players but to survive with any sort of longevity, investment in quality players (using the money provided from promotion, the whole reason it exists) has to happen. If it doesn’t, you get pumped 9-0 by Liverpool. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Well this season we'll be able to make a direct comparison between Bournemouth's approach of keeping most of the Championship squad, and Forest's approach of investing heavily in new players.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    Liverpool can’t get a midfielder to join the club……. if they have to play Milner for half the season, they’ll finish outside top 4 for sure. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Philly_Q said:
    Well this season we'll be able to make a direct comparison between Bournemouth's approach of keeping most of the Championship squad, and Forest's approach of investing heavily in new players.
    I get what you are saying, but a comparison like that would never work. Different teams, different personalities, different attitudes, getting the right players in etc are all part of the mix. I’d say the philosophy is only about 50% 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I get what you are saying, but a comparison like that would never work. Different teams, different personalities, different attitudes, getting the right players in etc are all part of the mix. I’d say the philosophy is only about 50% 
    You're right, of course, it was a semi-flippant comment, I wasn't suggesting it as a rigorous scientific experiment! ;)  But it will be interesting to see how both clubs get on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2022
    Also from my memory of both teams in the championship last term, Bournemouth were by far the better side (although couldn't seem to hot a cow's arse with a banjo against us) than Forest, and a good number of Forests players were on loan so you could say they needed to invest more than Bournemouth did really
    Also from my memory of both teams in the championship last term, Bournemouth were by far the better side (although couldn't seem to hot a cow's arse with a bank against us) than Forest, and a good number of Forests players were on loan so you could say they needed to invest more than Bournemouth did really
    Exactly this. We lost 16 (sixteen) of our squad at the end of the season due to loanees going back to parent clubs or players being out of contract/moving to new teams. Forest had absolutely no choice but to heavily invest, unless they just planned on playing their U23s to make up their 25 man squad. Which, judging by the reaction from most, is what we should be expected to do, rather than heavily investing and bringing in 18 new signings to replace the 16 players we needed to replace 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    this is turning into the Spanish Inquisition/Romans  sketch 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2022
    joneve said:
    Also from my memory of both teams in the championship last term, Bournemouth were by far the better side (although couldn't seem to hot a cow's arse with a bank against us) than Forest, and a good number of Forests players were on loan so you could say they needed to invest more than Bournemouth did really
    Exactly this. We lost 16 (sixteen) of our squad at the end of the season due to loanees going back to parent clubs or players being out of contract/moving to new teams. Forest had absolutely no choice but to heavily invest, unless they just planned on playing their U23s to make up their 25 man squad. Which, judging by the reaction from most, is what we should be expected to do, rather than heavily investing and bringing in 18 new signings to replace the 16 players we needed to replace 
    Yes i didn't mean it as a dig at all, forest were a good side last season going up on merit, and certainly spanked us one at your place, but you were always going to need to reinforce and I guess they thought they may as well buy players to stay there (or who could hopefully be sold on if you don't), rather than end up coming straight back down and having to rebuild again whilst struggling to get rid of useless players on big contracts like we are
    @TTony Hey mate hope you win today!

Only joking hope you get battered! :lol: :kiss: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    some tasty matches for a neutral to watch tonight - Are they all on BT (via various 'red channel' options) - Not looked yet on my BT sports menu
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    some tasty matches for a neutral to watch tonight - Are they all on BT (via various 'red channel' options) - Not looked yet on my BT sports menu
    Yes, each match on a different BT Sports channel. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Ta - with different kick off times I can start one game then see how it goes as to do I stay with it or move on - At this stage I'm open minded as to which I watch
    CHRISB50 said:
    I get BT Sport as part of my EE mobile deal.  Cost me all of £2/mth.

That was great last season when I could plug a USB-C cable into my phone and watch on a decent TV.  The BT Sport App blocked the usual Android casting / sharing function, but not the cabled option.

After the latest app update, buggers have blocked the share-by-cable option too.
    :(

• Can you just cast the whole screen rather than just from the app? That's how I do it in apps which block Chromecast
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    TTony said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    I get BT Sport as part of my EE mobile deal.  Cost me all of £2/mth.

That was great last season when I could plug a USB-C cable into my phone and watch on a decent TV.  The BT Sport App blocked the usual Android casting / sharing function, but not the cabled option.

After the latest app update, buggers have blocked the share-by-cable option too.
    :(

Exactly. I have it free with EE on couple of my contracts but you can only watch on your mobile device unless you pay extra for "big screen". Rubbish. 
    Good thing I can watch all football on other channels. 

Go Cherries!! 
    (Plenty of hate here - hope we'll prove you wrong ;) )
    Can you just cast the whole screen rather than just from the app? That's how I do it in apps which block Chromecast
    I'll try that this eve ...
  • If you go in the Google Home app or whatever it's called, press the device want to use and there should be an option at the bottom called "Cast My Screen" which will show whatever's on your phone. Does mean you have to leave your phone on the whole time but in the absence of the cable method it might be of use
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited August 2022
      Chelsea £70m for Fofana....best central defensive talent in the world apparently....who has helped Leicester to 7 clean sheets in his 37 games (and most of those with Schmeichel doing his stuff in goal)......
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    He's not even been capped by France.  His potential is still very raw.
    Anyone with a VPN…a peacock premium account is the way forward. $50 for the year and over 165 live premier league games and all games available as replays. (Plus all the other stuff available on peacock tv) 
    edited August 2022
    Could easily have lost that - and didn’t do enough to have won it.

(Spurs).
    Well….glad that’s out the way 
    joneve said:
    Got him as my captain. And what about Lingard???? (Joke!!!!) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:

(Spurs).
    Great game! I agree. Probably my favourite fixture of the calender. Absolutely love hosting your lot, so much entertainment. :) 
    joneve said:
    Got him as my captain. And what about Lingard???? (Joke!!!!) 
    Will be interesting to see who starts against Tinpot FC on sat. He gave Lodi a start tonight after one training session with the club, so could be anyone! 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    TTony said:

(Spurs).
    Bloody awful game. We seemed to lack ambition. Passing it across the back three, then into midfield, and back again to the bsck three.

It's all well and good trying to defend a 1-0 lead away from home but 2-0 would be better, and we nearly lost it right at the end.

We gave players who are not in good form, and yesterday's newbie Bissouma was poor. As starts to the season go it's not terrible, but it's painful to watch.