Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2022
    joneve said:

if we can get something against Spurs at the weekend 
    you can,  you can get beat  -    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Harry Kane missed a penalty.

Harry Kane missed a penalty ?

Is that allowed ??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Wondering what @joneve is thinking about Lingard right now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    TTony said:

Is that allowed ??
    Matt le Tissier in his 16 year career only missed one out of 47 penalties! If he could miss one, anyone can.
    axisus said:
    TTony said:

Is that allowed ??
    Matt le Tissier in his 16 year career only missed one out of 47 penalties! If he could miss one, anyone can.
    And now he's a conspiracy theory nut. The one penalty miss sent him over the edge. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jon Eve's been quiet .........................................  not even NYE
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    bertie said:
    Haha! My phone was off yesterday as I waited to watch it. Considering the bulk of the squad have been playing together for less than a month, I would say we gave ourselves a decent showing. Controlled the midfield well (with two of our best Midfielders not even playing) but couldn’t find that final ball; but that will come over the next few weeks as the team get more minutes together and we figure out what our best XI combo is. 

The only real difference between the two teams was Kane’s world class finishing, which punished us. But shout out to Dean Henderson who continues to show how good he is. 

Not really sure I get your point? You seem to have a bit of an obsession with him? He didn’t have a terrible game yesterday, and he and Gibbs-White linked up well against Everton last weekend too. Sure he’s not scored yet, but neither have half of our strikers; and he’s played with different starting striker combinations in every game so far. He’s playing in a new system with a squad who are still gelling, so I’m not hitting the panic button 4 games into the season. 

If we play like we did yesterday on more occasions than not, then I can’t see us going down. Ryan Yates rarely misses headers from inside the 18 yard box and Neco Williams was a foot away from burying one in the bottom corner. Might say we were “unlucky” in the same way West Ham were a few weeks ago ;) we’ll start to convert some of those final ball chances once everything starts clicking and the whole squad is up to speed. 

Signing Lodi to start at left wing back will give us more of an attacking threat down the left going forward as well as Toff struggled at times yesterday.  

Now, if we can lose by less than 3 against City on Wednesday then I’ll chalk that up to a good day. :D but in reality, these back to back games against top 4 sides, this early in the season with a new squad are essentially a free hit and not games we’d have expected to get points from. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2022
    joneve said:
    Not really sure I get your point? You seem to have a bit of an obsession with him? 
    An obsession? lol I'm just poking fun because he's gone missing in pretty much every game, as expected, and we discussed him at length previously and I'd just watched the game. No need for that kind of comment at a light hearted dig is there. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    Not really sure I get your point? You seem to have a bit of an obsession with him? 
    An obsession? lol I'm just poking fun because he's gone missing in pretty much every game, as expected, and we discussed him at length previously and I'd just watched the game. No need for that kind of comment at a light hearted dig is there. 
    I’m also joking, should have used the wink emoji :) as I said, we’re 4 games into a season where this squad is 70% brand new. If the trend continues by the time we get to may next year, I’ll admit his wages were a waste of money; and both parties will move on, having not lost out on much. 

I will say though, he’s not disappearing due to lack of effort or laziness (yet), which is what most assumed would be the case because he’s “just doing it for the money”. I’ve not seen any evidence of that at all. 
    joneve said:
    bertie said:

The only real difference between the two teams was
    two goals :)
    bertie said:
    joneve said:
    bertie said:

The only real difference between the two teams was
    two goals :)
    From Harry Kane… so you made the same point as me :)
    joneve said:
    From Harry Kane… so you made the same point as me :)
    not really,  the point Im making is  

YOU LOST

:) 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    @joneve I thought Forest started out looking like a championship team, but they really grew into the game and in the end I was impressed with the way they played. 

They only really let themselves down when they failed to actually snap Richarlison in half.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They only really let themselves down when they failed to actually snap Richarlison in half.  
    I'm hoping Conte "has a word" with him ...
    RobDavies said:
    @joneve I thought Forest started out looking like a championship team, but they really grew into the game and in the end I was impressed with the way they played. 

We historically start games slowly. It’s really frustrating. 9 of the starting 11 were playing in the championship last season, along side mostly new to each other so not surprising it took a bit for them to grow into it. Was pleased overall though 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    I’m also joking, should have used the wink emoji :) 
    Lol no worries ;) 
  • RobDavies said:
    @joneve I thought Forest started out looking like a championship team, but they really grew into the game  
    I thought forest started the game looking like 10 men running around as fast as they can and ended up looking like a team they could have got slaughtered if Tottenham had been a bit more ruthless on the break.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2022
    I hope he turns out better than our last £m-multi acquisition from Lyon.

Actually, that's not a high bar to set
    ;)
    TTony said:
    I hope he turns out better than our last £m-multi acquisition from Lyon.

Actually, that's not a high bar to set
    ;)
    This kid has 30+ caps for Brazil. Reminds me of Kaka. I hope he's not like Ndombele! 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Ross Barkley's just left Chelsea as a free agent. Remember him?
    edited August 2022
    Bidley said:
    Yea. Another promising English footballer whose progress and career was shunted by a team who offered them all manner of money, promised them first team football but ended up on the bench of a team who then bought 20 other players in their position. See also, Danny Drinkwater.

These elite clubs are often mismanaging players like this and treating them pretty awfully. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Bidley said:
    Yea. Another promising English footballer whose progress and career was shunted by a team who offered them all manner of money, promised them first team football but ended up on the bench of a team who then bought 20 other players in their position. See also, Danny Drinkwater.

These elite clubs are often mismanaging players like this and treating them pretty awfully. 

See also Hudson-Odoi. Signed a 5 year contract with Chelsea when Bayern Munich were knocking on his door. He's been bit-part at best ever since, now Chelsea want Anthony Gordon for £60m, who is the same age and plays a similar role. I wonder if he has any regrets :(
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:

See also Hudson-Odoi. Signed a 5 year contract with Chelsea when Bayern Munich were knocking on his door. He's been bit-part at best ever since, now Chelsea want Anthony Gordon for £60m, who is the same age and plays a similar role. I wonder if he has any regrets :(
    Yea. There are many players like this at many of the top clubs. Lingard was one, Delph was another, and I dare say that Grealish could be one too if he's not careful. You can't blame these players for taking the opportunity, but the likes of Man City, Chelsea, they have so many players out on loan and buy players willy nilly especially in midfield that you can easily become second or third fiddle before you know it. I think that Tammy Abraham did the right thing leaving Chelsea. He wouldn't have got a look in if he'd have stayed. 
    Bidley said:
    Probably 120,000 regrets every week.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who want to play, but there are equally plenty of players for whom playing (or not) is just their means of making a living that they'll enjoy for the rest of their lives (Gareth Bale).

They can take the money, play a few games off the bench, and add another part-of-the-squad-medal to the cupboard at the end of the season.
  • Poor Scott Parker.... fixture list was against him.. little help in the transfer window... they must have their eye on someone else already..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:
    Probably 120,000 regrets every week.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who want to play, but there are equally plenty of players for whom playing (or not) is just their means of making a living that they'll enjoy for the rest of their lives (Gareth Bale).

They can take the money, play a few games off the bench, and add another part-of-the-squad-medal to the cupboard at the end of the season.
    As an outsider you think, that's fine. As long as they try their best for their club then that's fine. But when it's your club you think, we could be spending that money on someone really motivated who pushes the team forward, brings competition to other players and wants to play every game. 
    TeleMaster said

But when it's your club you think, we could be spending that money on someone really motivated who pushes the team forward, brings competition to other players and wants to play every game. 
    Absolutely agree.

“Ndombelazygit”
    ;)

Poor Scott Parker.... fixture list was against him.. little help in the transfer window... they must have their eye on someone else already..
    Wow, that’s harsh.

TBF, Scott Parker seems more of a Championship manager rather than a Prem Lge manager.  Seems to much of a Mr Decent Guy, without the smarts to survive in the Prem Lge.  Maybe a few more seasons back in the Championship with a decent club that he can build slowly, then back into the Prem Lge once he’s got more established?
    TTony said:
    TeleMaster said

But when it's your club you think, we could be spending that money on someone really motivated who pushes the team forward, brings competition to other players and wants to play every game. 
    Absolutely agree.

“Ndombelazygit”
    ;)
    You're obsessed. :lol: