Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• I’ll be gutted if potter goes.  He’s done a brilliant job at Brighton. I was hoping he’d stay at least until the end of the season, see how far he can take the club.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Potter's taken it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Potter's taken it...
    Shouldn't this be on The Quidditch Thread?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Potter's taken it...
    Will he last long enough to view next season's fixtures?

He's going to be a very wealthy man, possibly sooner than he'd ever have imagined.

Hope he has reasonable success. Obviously as a Spurs fan "reasonable" is the limit. 
  • I know sports people are built differently, but I think if I had a talent for football management, I wouldn't mind building my rep for a while, in order to eventually get one big paying job that I'll also receive a significant severance payment from when I'm sacked, and not need to work again. I'd be quite happy with that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I know sports people are built differently, but I think if I had a talent for football management, I wouldn't mind building my rep for a while, in order to eventually get one big paying job that I'll also receive a significant severance payment from when I'm sacked, and not need to work again. I'd be quite happy with that
    Most football people are pretty driven. They don't want to sit on their arse being rich, they want to be doing football.

But yeah, I could go for that ....
  • axisus said:
    I know sports people are built differently, but I think if I had a talent for football management, I wouldn't mind building my rep for a while, in order to eventually get one big paying job that I'll also receive a significant severance payment from when I'm sacked, and not need to work again. I'd be quite happy with that
    Most football people are pretty driven. They don't want to sit on their arse being rich, they want to be doing football.
    I do wish somebody would tell a lot of the West Brom players about this (though given my attitude shown above, why should they!)
  • axisus said:

It's like being a musician, do you want to play or do you want to be a dep, having to go every night and not actually getting to play. 
  • axisus said:

It's like being a musician, do you want to play or do you want to be a dep, having to go every night and not actually getting to play. 
    If i was getting paid the same either way, I'd be fine with that I think
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Potter's in then............................... "Hogwarts Bridge" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    Potter's in then.........................
    ... for a spell
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    bertie said:
    Potter's in then.........................
    ... for a spell

he'll need to perform some dark arts magic getting that lot in order..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    So who goes to Brighton - I'm 99.9% certain it won't be Big Sam and 99.8% certain it won't be S Bruce 
  • So who goes to Brighton - I'm 99.9% certain it won't be Big Sam and 99.8% certain it won't be S Bruce 
    I'm clinging onto that 0.2% as a source of optimism
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So who goes to Brighton - I'm 99.9% certain it won't be Big Sam and 99.8% certain it won't be S Bruce 
    Tuchel?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    jellyroll said:
    So who goes to Brighton - I'm 99.9% certain it won't be Big Sam and 99.8% certain it won't be S Bruce 
    Tuchel?
    With the best part of £15m newly in the bank, I think he could find somewhere better than a weekend in Brighton ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    jellyroll said:
    Tuchel?
    My guess is that Brighton will do similar again to when they picked Potter - Find an up and coming source that can develop the team/squad accordingly with no perceived big ego or wage packet either 
    It's an attractive proposition, and seeing as how potter has fucked off with all of the first team coaches as well a clean sweep for someone.

Brighton have been good at setting up a system to cope with replacing players/staff but this is a big blow..  

I would have thought they would get in someone who's  done good work on a budget and will be in a similar mould to Potter.  
  • axisus said:

If i was getting paid the same either way, I'd be fine with that I think
    That's okay. But if you're a professional musician and you've trained all your life to get to the Vienna Philharmonic and you're just someone's understudy, or you're an elite sportsperson and get into the England squad, most people aren't happy to just sit back, they often want their competitors to fail so they can show the world what they can do. Its different at our level but if you get right up there 'most' people want to keep going. But it's also okay to sit back too. 
    LATEST!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    jellyroll said:
    Tuchel?
    My guess is that Brighton will do similar again to when they picked Potter - Find an up and coming source that can develop the team/squad accordingly with no perceived big ego or wage packet either 
    They can have Russell Martin, if they want to maintain the Swansea connection...

• Back to earth with a bump for us United fans.

Not enough goals in this team, especially when we have more possession. We'll win big games against better teams with resolute defending and counter attacking pace but we will struggle with teams that sit back.  

There has been improvement, but it won't be an easy season.  Palace will definitely test us on Sunday, if the game is on.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    .menamestom said:

Back to earth with a bump for us United fans.

Not enough goals in this team, especially when we have more possession. We'll win big games against better teams with resolute defending and counter attacking pace but we will struggle with teams that sit back.  

There has been improvement, but it won't be an easy season.  Palace will definitely test us on Sunday, if the game is on.
    I think they'll all be called off this weekend, and played at a later date.

I almost bought tickets for our match against Everton on Sunday. Glad I didn't now.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    .menamestom said:

I almost bought tickets for our match against Everton on Sunday. Glad I didn't now.
    Yes, I would imagine so. Understandable, but there is already fixture congestion due to the world cup, so not ideal. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    axisus said:
    LATEST!

one's going to manage the Brighton games, the other the Hove Albion ones
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    CHRISB50 said:
    .menamestom said:

All matches off this weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62846756
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    edited September 2022
    might actually work in Tottenham's favour... not firing on all cylinders currently..

although it could end up being Leicester, City then Gooners.. depending on how they reschedule..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2022
    Finding it hard to understand this decision. I get that this has affected many people and they want to mark this, not my thing but I understand it's a significant moment. But this seems extreme. Have they thought of the fans who have already booked trains flights, and accommodation? And of the many who would have been employed at events and the local business benefitting? Surely if people want to show their respects, a minute's silence at such a communal event is a fitting way? If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    might actually work in Tottenham's favour... not firing on all cylinders currently..

although it could end up being Leicester, City then Gooners.. depending on how they reschedule..
    Same re: forest. We lost our two best players in game 2 and 3 this season - so hopefully they'll now be back before we kick another ball. 

tFB Trader
    Finding it hard to understand this decision. I get that this has affected many people and they want to mark this, not my thing but I understand it's a significant moment. But this seems extreme. Have they thought of the fans who have already booked trains flights, and accommodation? And of the many who would have been employed at events and the local business benefitting? Surely if people want to show their respects, a minute's silence at such a communal event is a fitting way? If they don't want us to have any fun, why aren't they closing pubs and nightclubs, cinemas etc?

Totally agree - I have 2 friends with tickets for today at The Oval v SA - Yes they'll get a refund but that is not the point - They wanted a 2/3 day trip to London - paid for the hotel + train - Will have a nice bite out etc - And those parts are not refundable and they don't get to see the cricket 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter