Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• I like the Nations League. It replaces totally meaningless friendlies with matches that have consequences and mean something. It provides a route to Euro and World Cup qualification. I suppose that's not so important for England who always coast through their easy qualifying groups! But for many other nations, it presents another opportunity for qualification. Wales has risen to Group A, which has given us matches against tougher opponents, which is clearly beneficial, and every match is played to win. Being in the higher tables means better opposition and is a good indication of progress. Even if it means we play Belgium all the bloody time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I like the Nations League. It replaces totally meaningless friendlies with matches that have consequences and mean something. It provides a route to Euro and World Cup qualification. I suppose that's not so important for England who always coast through their easy qualifying groups! But for many other nations, it presents another opportunity for qualification. Wales has risen to Group A, which has given us matches against tougher opponents, which is clearly beneficial, and every match is played to win. Being in the higher tables means better opposition and is a good indication of progress. Even if it means we play Belgium all the bloody time!
    It's better than crappy friendlies, or pointless San Marino type qualifiers, but I still prefer a proper league weekend with lots of Prem action.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Well that was a piss poor performance - Still piss poor entertainment - But Gareth appears to be okay with it judging by his post match comments - No invention, flair, passion, temp, creativity - Certainly nothing proactive at all

So one more game to go before the WC starts and we appear to be clueless in many aspects of our game plan

Great idea to play a right winger at left back/left wing back - Never played there at any junior level, or senior level - Logical choice - That policy might be fine in desperate times, at the end of the game, when trying to hold on and little resources available - But not as your starting line up when your last major tournament is about to start (can't see him keeping the job when the WC is over)

He obviously does not want Kane dropping into a deeper role at times like he does for Spurs - During most of the first 60/70 mins when we played 3-4-3 this ensured a big gap between him and Rice/Bellingham - Was improved when we went to a 4-2-3-1

Many players had a very poor game - Can't fault Bellingham in his role last night, but the whole team was so far below par, that no stand out performance from anyone

Grealish obviously wanted to have Monday off - On a yellow card already, so thought what can I do to miss the next game - I know I'll do what I do best - Be a gobby twat and moan to the ref 

I dare say when the WC is due to start we can open up a new thread - But I dare say that it won't be a long thread as far as we are concerned
  • You probably have to consider that players do see this as a glorified friendly and don't want to get injured before the world cup so it's still extremely difficult to judge the team on these performances.

I do think the potential is there to do very well but I also think that England are quite boring to watch at times, rely on set pieces way too much, and find it difficult against the best opposition. I can't see us beating Brazil, France and it's very possible we will get found out like we did against Hungary.

Southgate deserves loyalty for this tournament so I'll wait to pass any judgement until after it. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
     but I also think that England are quite boring to watch at times
    Do you mean the 90-odd minutes after kick-off?

Seems to me that no-one ever wants to take any sort of risk - giving away possession or trying to dribble past another player and then getting tackled.  So, instead, play the safe pass (backwards/sideways) rather than trying to go forwards.

Is that the coaching?  Is that the stats-based game that football has become (let's all play a game sim instead)?  We have some decent players - maybe not a full 11 world class, but a good 6 or 7 - but they're not playing the sort of football that entertains or excites the crowd and wins matches.

Maybe this is just build-up to the WC and Southgate has a cunning plan that will be revealed.  Or maybe the last Euros were just a few freak results.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    You probably have to consider that players do see this as a glorified friendly and don't want to get injured before the world cup so it's still extremely difficult to judge the team on these performances.

I do think the potential is there to do very well but I also think that England are quite boring to watch at times, rely on set pieces way too much, and find it difficult against the best opposition. I can't see us beating Brazil, France and it's very possible we will get found out like we did against Hungary.

Southgate deserves loyalty for this tournament so I'll wait to pass any judgement until after it. 
    There is that and most players have something like 6-9 matches in Oct for their club - But less tiring playing with the ball as against chasing back - It was just a clueless game plan that was devoid of any creativity - But if the fear is of getting injured and/or tired, taking into account another match Monday v Germany, then why not use more subs - that now asks the question will be play mainly his other squad players v Germany  , or try and firm up his game plan with his 'A' team

I think it has created far more questions than answers in many aspects of the team, who plays, formation, creativity, goal threat just for starters

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    What times will the WC games be? 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    I've not fully checked them out yet - I dare say early group stages and we might see 3 games a day - around 3pm, 5/6pm and 8pm - I know there is a time difference, but equally they will want to maximize viewing audiences and appropriate ad revenue

Just checked - group matches appear to be 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 7pm - later knock out stages 3pm and 7pm - final 3pm 
    tony99 said:
    I've not fully checked them out yet - I dare say early group stages and we might see 3 games a day - around 3pm, 5/6pm and 8pm - I know there is a time difference, but equally they will want to maximize viewing audiences and appropriate ad revenue

Just checked - group matches appear to be 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 7pm - later knock out stages 3pm and 7pm - final 3pm 
    They UK times though?
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

They UK times though?
    https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/538276bde2718fe6/original/2022fwc_qatar_match_schedule_v34b_11082022_EN_international-use.pdf

These look more like UK Times
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

They UK times though?
    https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/538276bde2718fe6/original/2022fwc_qatar_match_schedule_v34b_11082022_EN_international-use.pdf

These look more like UK Times
    sound cheers
  • England are extremely poor. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    England are extremely poor. 
    We looked pretty good until we conceded a needless penalty and have been nervy since. 

We scored a goal though for the first time in however many years. 
  • 2-2!!!!! 
  • Oh dear - what do you know... 

I thought it was over with Werner's goal
    edited September 2022
    I was just moaning we’d taken off Sterling who was our best player today!
  • England are extremely poor. 
    This hasn't aged well.

3-2.
    munckee said:
    He runs around a lot, falls over a bit, and then runs around some more.

Best?

This hasn't aged well.

3-2.
    Pope is extremely poor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:
    This hasn't aged well.

3-2.
    Pope is extremely poor. 
    Maguire too. Kehrer definitely has a penalty in him doesn't him.

3-3 is a decent result and probably a fair result. 
    Maguire looked fine while stones was on then looked sloppy. 
    tFB Trader
    Well far better than the Italy game - But not where it needs to be - Credit to them from coming back from 2-0 down in a meaningless match

Maguire had a hand in 2 goals and Pope should have done far better with a fairly soft effort - We created more chances but apart from the Sterling shot around 30 mins (superb thru' ball from Shaw), we had little clear cut chances and I can't recall Kane been given a good chance 

Better though

But based on the last two games and players used, it looks like a lot of players will be going to the WC to have a. break and top up their tan - It looks like he has a hardcore of 15 he likes and that will be it
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    munckee said:

Best?

I'm with you on this Tony 
  • TTony said:
    munckee said:

Best?

I'm with you on this Tony 

me too..  should have taken at least one of his chances...

Harry M needs dropping.. he unsettles everyone.. he cannot play in a 3.. he kept wandering off..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Harry M needs dropping.. he unsettles everyone.. he cannot play in a 3.. he kept wandering off..
    I don't tend to watch many ManU games, so don't really have a view on whether all the criticism is justified or not.  That said, even if I did watch ManU games, I guess I still wouldn't see much of him playing.

Personal confidence is so important to a player.  Southgate has done a huge amount to protect Maguire's confidence when playing for England. 

I guess he's now a bit between a rock and hard place.  He'll want to play "above and beyond" to justify Southgate's confidence and prove his critics wrong.  But if that leads to him venturing into midfield roles and then losing the ball which leads to a goal, then the critics will get louder.  The tackle for the first pen was risky, but in that position, surely he had to try?

The ref didn't have a good game - needing VAR to correct him twice isn't good, particularly when the second one was a nasty foul too.

Still, Dier's playing solidly ...
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I don't tend to watch many ManU games, so don't really have a view on whether all the criticism is justified or not.  That said, even if I did watch ManU games, I guess I still wouldn't see much of him playing.

Personal confidence is so important to a player.  Southgate has done a huge amount to protect Maguire's confidence when playing for England. 

I guess he's now a bit between a rock and hard place.  He'll want to play "above and beyond" to justify Southgate's confidence and prove his critics wrong.  But if that leads to him venturing into midfield roles and then losing the ball which leads to a goal, then the critics will get louder.  The tackle for the first pen was risky, but in that position, surely he had to try?

The ref didn't have a good game - needing VAR to correct him twice isn't good, particularly when the second one was a nasty foul too.

Still, Dier's playing solidly ...
    Dier looks an improvement on the old Dier

And used to playing in a back 3, certainly now at Everton, Connor Coady looks better now than before 

The England issue with Maguire is where is he going to find form and confidence - His game time at Man U will be limited - But will Southgate risk a change now with no time left to experiment 

I know Shaw is struggling to get in the Man U team at the moment but he looked okay last night, both technical and stamina
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    My opinion is that if we don't get to at least the Semis in the world cup I'd pay off Southgate and get a new manager in. He's had some great times but I don't think he's getting the best out of the players, and we have a great squad right now. We are in danger of doing what we did with Erickson - wasting the talent of the day.
  • axisus said:
    My opinion is that if we don't get to at least the Semis in the world cup I'd pay off Southgate and get a new manager in. He's had some great times but I don't think he's getting the best out of the players, and we have a great squad right now. We are in danger of doing what we did with Erickson - wasting the talent of the day.
    Well in regards to attacking options this is likely to be the last chance. Kane isn't utilised properly and largely scores from penalties, Sterling scores but is getting on, who else is there of their quality and pedigree? We have no world class striker waiting in the wings so it's largely now or never in my opinion. 
    tFB Trader
    I dare say nearly time to start a fresh WC thread, but IMO we'll need a lucky draw/run, as per 2018, to get to the semi's