Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Clubs with managers who may be sacked very soon…

West Brom
    Wolves
    Leicester
    Villa
    Middlesbrough
    Chelsea 
    FTFY
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    You could probably have Chelsea on that list at any time with any manager regardless of what they've just achieved, like winning the Champions League a year ago or less :lol:

Good win for West Ham. We needed that. Some promising play from our new players and our high performers from last year are hopefully rediscovering their form.

COYI! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This Haaland lad is a bit good isn't he? Saliba and Gabriel will have their work cut out by the time we play City!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited October 2022
    This Haaland lad is a bit good isn't he? Saliba and Gabriel will have their work cut out by the time we play City!
    Uniteds Goal Difference is now negative - might be double figures soon
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Shit this is the same Utd team that beat us 3-2, how far is the gap between us and City
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    6 - 2 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Hattigol said:
    Clubs with managers who may be sacked very soon…

West Brom
    Wolves
    Leicester
    Villa
    Middlesbrough
    Chelsea 
    FTFY
    You are right about the Wolves manager, sacked today. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 6-3 now. Tasty game.
  • Two hat-tricks. There aren't enough superlatives for Haaland. It's like the Tiger Woods of football has arrived.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Gotta feel for Arsenal, best chance in years they've had of winning the league and their most succesful captain and club legend starts mincing about on prime time national TV to "my old man's a dustman" whilst done up like Charlie Drake.  Roy Keane is right - the game's gone.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Two hat-tricks. There aren't enough superlatives for Haaland. It's like the Tiger Woods of football has arrived.
    Whoa! 

I think he's superb but you got carried away a little my friend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Still think Guardiola will give them the hairdryer treatment for losing the 2nd half 3-2 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Two hat-tricks. There aren't enough superlatives for Haaland. It's like the Tiger Woods of football has arrived.
    Whoa! 

I don't think so. He broke the Champions League fastest to 25 goals and the youngest to do so, had a greater than 1 goal per game for Dortmund and is now scoring goals at a rate unseen in the Premier League at a time when you have very high levels of competition. He's the best striker in the world at the moment and I think that will continue and he'll win multiple Balon D'ors. 

It's like someone used the create a player option on FIFA and just maxed out all the stats.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Well that'll teach the ManCs.

I bet they're kicking themselves now that they didn't find the extra £50m last summer to buy Harry Kane, and get themselves a decent proven goal scorer.  Just think how good they'd be   if they had!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Clubs with managers who may be sacked very soon…

West Brom
    I don't think we can afford to sack Bruce, and there aren't really any other managers to choose from anyway so there would probably be very little point 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Two hat-tricks. There aren't enough superlatives for Haaland. It's like the Tiger Woods of football has arrived.
    Whoa! 

I don't think so. He broke the Champions League fastest to 25 goals and the youngest to do so, had a greater than 1 goal per game for Dortmund and is now scoring goals at a rate unseen in the Premier League at a time when you have very high levels of competition. He's the best striker in the world at the moment and I think that will continue and he'll win multiple Balon D'ors. 

It's like someone used the create a player option on FIFA and just maxed out all the stats.
    I think BigBearKris’s point might be that it’s a bit premature to compare him to arguably the best ever in a sport. 

He could well end up being the best ever, but he ain’t that yet. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    Whoa! 

I think BigBearKris’s point might be that it’s a bit premature to compare him to arguably the best ever in a sport. 

He could well end up being the best ever, but he ain’t that yet. 
    I think he's just looking at his potential and current form. Imagine when Tiger Woods first arrived, like that. 
  • TTony said:

I bet they're kicking themselves now that they didn't find the extra £50m last summer to buy Harry Kane, and get themselves a decent proven goal scorer.  Just think how good they'd be   if they had!
    Indeed. I do wonder whether the "mY gRaN cOuLd Sc0rE iN thE buNdeSliGa" types are feeling even slightly sheepish yet. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Lage gone. Really sad news, but he left a promising CB on the bench and played Neves as a defender robbing one of the best midfields of it's spark. Then he waited until 2nd half to unleash Diego. He played Sasa for 15 mins on his debut with an ACL and Neto for 10mins with a (suspected) broken foot. Facebook is doing it's nut.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Chelsea host Arsenal next month. I’m looking forward to seeing Aubameyang, I reckon he’ll be looking for a bit of revenge. Took his opener very well yesterday although I still don’t blame Arteta for binning him. Arsenal are looking amazing now. Ben White must surely be getting eyed up for a more permanent England place.

Chuffed for Eddie Howe. I’m not a Magpie fan but he seems to have a good head on him. 

I’m also really pleased to be seeing the likes of Brentford and Brighton doing well. It’s making the Prem much more interesting for the likes of me.

In other news, Darlington are out of the FA Cup qualifiers  :s =)
    I play at my dining room table.
    Yea. So Nunez 1 Haaland 0 in the battle of the new strikers! 
    Where are we up to on this?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    Nunez 1 - Haaland 14!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:

Indeed. I do wonder whether the "mY gRaN cOuLd Sc0rE iN thE buNdeSliGa" types are feeling even slightly sheepish yet. 
    We (West Ham) were the same when we played Frankfurt and they schooled us. 
    Deadman said:

Yup.  I saw that on the BBC Sport newsflash alert.
    :(
    tony99 said:
    Nunez 1 - Haaland 14!
    haha wow. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    TTony said:
    Deadman said:

Yup.  I saw that on the BBC Sport newsflash alert.
    :(
    You mean we got a mention!? Blimey that’s a first  =)
    I play at my dining room table.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    TTony said:
    Hate to say this, but Arsenal appear to have put together a pretty decent team.  Saliba, Martinelli, Sako, even Xhaka (!), and Ramsdale looks a lot more solid than Hugo.

Still, every cloud (etc) and perhaps now that Emerson is suspended for a few games, we’ll play a decent right wing back instead.
    Spurs are going to appeal Emerson's three-game ban. They want it upped to nine games.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Nunez 1 - Haaland 14!
    haha wow. 
    Yea and 17 if you include his Champions League goals. He's like a guaranteed 30 points a week if you have him as your captain in the old fantasy football. 
    Brize said:
    TTony said:
    Hate to say this, but Arsenal appear to have put together a pretty decent team.  Saliba, Martinelli, Sako, even Xhaka (!), and Ramsdale looks a lot more solid than Hugo.

Still, every cloud (etc) and perhaps now that Emerson is suspended for a few games, we’ll play a decent right wing back instead.
    Spurs are going to appeal Emerson's three-game ban. They want it upped to nine games.
    As you already had the LOL, I went with the Wiz.

Never understood why we gave Trippier away, nor why we let KWP go to Soton.  Our replacements have been hopeless.  I was hoping Spence would be the solution ... maybe Conte will finally give him a game now.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Just checked and Harland has scored more goals that 14 of the premier league teams have managed! impressive!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1