Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    Man U v Everton - Hard to believe that was judged hand ball - Yet Brighton v Spurs and var said it wasn't hand ball (can't find a clip of it, so unless you watched the match you won't know what I was on about - And I dare say any Spurs fans will agree with the var decision
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Man U v Everton - Hard to believe that was judged hand ball - Yet Brighton v Spurs and var said it wasn't hand ball (can't find a clip of it, so unless you watched the match you won't know what I was on a bit - And I dare say any Spurs fans will agree with the var decision
    Same for West Ham, it was a handball in the build up and the goal stood.

I'm getting to the point where I think they like all the talk about VAR, it's good publicity.  It is just shitshow after shitshow 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    Man U v Everton - Hard to believe that was judged hand ball - Yet Brighton v Spurs and var said it wasn't hand ball (can't find a clip of it, so unless you watched the match you won't know what I was on a bit - And I dare say any Spurs fans will agree with the var decision

I'm getting to the point where I think they like all the talk about VAR, it's good publicity.  It is just shitshow after shitshow 
    not seen it yet but heard on R5 their was a question mark about a goal
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I hate VAR but they owed us one for the Chelsea and Spurs debacle. 

The West Ham v Fulham game wasn't especially good, and we weren't amazing but we deserved the win.

My brother keeps pointing out Souceks' stats that he wins x interceptions, but when you watch him live he's just very poor at the moment. I don't agree that you can judge a player by numbers on a page over actually watching how they play. This football by numbers thing is just a load of tosh.

Anyway, a good win. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    joeyowen said:

And yet it was proven right in three decisions on Friday night!

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Great win for Arsenal.  Hopefully the Man City fixture won’t be too far away, I think we’d all like to see that game sooner rather than later.

Decent win for us at Everton as well.  Never an easy place to go and Everton were on a good run of unbeaten games.   Casimero
    looked good, If he stays in the team over McTominay I think we will improve.  Hopefully Ronaldo will play more as well, he looked good.
    Good to get a win after getting hammered by City!

Anthony Martial, wow that guy is fragile.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    As a United fan, can I just point out to Arsenal fans that beating Liverpool should not necessarily give you any hopes/illusions of beating City.

You, like everyone else, are sadly playing for second place.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Hattigol said:
    As a United fan, can I just point out to Arsenal fans that beating Liverpool should not necessarily give you any hopes/illusions of beating City.

I dunno... They're top. I agree that City will probably win but you can't write them off yet, even if they lose to City. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Nitefly said:
    joeyowen said:

And yet it was proven right in three decisions on Friday night!

A broken clock is right twice a day as they say.

I think the concept is great, and it has worked well in many areas, but there are so many inconsistencies still.  Some of the rules aren't perfect, but they still need to be enforced the same
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just seen that West Brom have now sacked Bruce, which I didn't expect because they keep saying how we don't have the money to sign any players so didn't think they could afford Mr Potato Head's pension top up. It's also utterly pointless as our useless owner is still there and Ron Gourlay remains in place, as does the spineless set of players, so nothing is going to change and they'll now have to sack another manager later in the season, costing them even more
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Hattigol said:

Well ... Spurs have yet to play ManC, and we generally manage to take a few points off them in a season, so the League isn't quite won just yet.  Any team can have an off-day - it just depends on whether their opposition on the day are having an on-day and manage to take advantage.

(No, I'm not suggesting the Spurs will win the PL, but I'd not write Arsenal off).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Man City winning isn't cut and dry - only takes one or two bad injuries when the fixture lists stacks up. It's very likely they'll win but definitely not a certainty. They've had "bad" runs before haven't they? When Liverpool have almost caught them up, especially when their attention turns to Champions League instead
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Just seen that West Brom have now sacked Bruce, which I didn't expect because they keep saying how we don't have the money to sign any players so didn't think they could afford Mr Potato Head's pension top up. It's also utterly pointless as our useless owner is still there and Ron Gourlay remains in place, as does the spineless set of players, so nothing is going to change and they'll now have to sack another manager later in the season, costing them even more
    It had got so bad I stayed away on Saturday. I went to Dunham Massey with the wife instead. I get what you're saying but anything has to be an improvement over Bruce (I probably said that about Val too). It was a poor appointment from the off. From 5th to 10th then where we are now. Hopefully Gourmet interviews more than one candidate this time.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I disagree. I think it is cut and dried.

I'd go a step further. If by some bizarre set of facts, Haaland was transferred to Forest, I think they would probably have a decent chance of winning it.

Remember in Animal Farm where the horses started walking around on their back legs? I can't be alone in thinking that Haaland needs checking out for this. Particularly as he is giving us clear clues with that 'My Little Pony' haircut...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think Man City will win.  They won it without Haaland and even if he gets injured, they are still going to win it IMO.

Whereas with Arsenal, if Jesus gets injured, or Saka or Martinelli, they lose a big part of their game.  They don't have players on that level of quality as those.  Sure, no one at Man City can replace Haaland but they have proven the rest of them can and have contributed enough to win not just games, but titles.

Only 8/9 games into the season, every team apart from City and Arsenal have had some kind of bumps.  To win the league at this age you need to go on like a 10, 15 or 20 games in a row.  That's the standard that City and Liverpool have set themselves the past 5 or so seasons.

I would like it if City will drop points, it would make it more interesting, but I think the interesting part is Top 4, not who is going to win.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited October 2022
    Just seen that West Brom have now sacked Bruce, which I didn't expect because they keep saying how we don't have the money to sign any players so didn't think they could afford Mr Potato Head's pension top up. It's also utterly pointless as our useless owner is still there and Ron Gourlay remains in place, as does the spineless set of players, so nothing is going to change and they'll now have to sack another manager later in the season, costing them even more
    It had got so bad I stayed away on Saturday. I went to Dunham Massey with the wife instead. I get what you're saying but anything has to be an improvement over Bruce (I probably said that about Val too). It was a poor appointment from the off. From 5th to 10th then where we are now. Hopefully Gourmet interviews more than one candidate this time.
    Well Gin-Gan Gourlay has appointed Ishmael and Bruce, the latter as you say from a shortlist of one, and the former because a) he got a hoofball relegation team to the playoffs and b) the actual first choice (Wilder) was deemed too vocal against a crap board. So I wouldn't hold your breath...
  • Hattigol said:

I'm not expecting us to beat City necessarily, just compete and not get spanked 5-0 like last season at the Etihad. In the return game we gave them a good run but were outdone by Rodri's late goal. 

And yes I worry if any injuries happen to Jesus, Saka, Martinelli and Partey we don't have like-for-like quality backup. 
  • Oh and congratulations to a certain Cristiano Ronaldo on 700 career goals. The guy is still playing at the highest level where most 37 year old's are long retired by then. He obviously keeps himself in good shape and I can see him playing at 40. Where that will be is another question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    If you were another club in the EFL and in difficulty, you'd now be very worried that if they sack your existing manager, then they might call Bruce - I think it is time he calls it a day and works on his diet
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just seen that West Brom have now sacked Bruce, which I didn't expect because they keep saying how we don't have the money to sign any players so didn't think they could afford Mr Potato Head's pension top up. It's also utterly pointless as our useless owner is still there and Ron Gourlay remains in place, as does the spineless set of players, so nothing is going to change and they'll now have to sack another manager later in the season, costing them even more
    If you were another club in the EFL and in difficulty, you'd now be very worried that if they sack your existing manager, then they might call Bruce - I think it is time he calls it a day and works on his diet
    Very true, there's a small source of optimism that our next manager will not be Bruce, Allardyce, Pardew or Pulis
    tFB Trader
    Man U v Everton - Hard to believe that was judged hand ball - Yet Brighton v Spurs and var said it wasn't hand ball (can't find a clip of it, so unless you watched the match you won't know what I was on about - And I dare say any Spurs fans will agree with the var decision

I had it wrong about the Spurs v Brighton game - It was LFC v AFC - To many games to watch this weekend - Either way this was deemed not to be handball (on the left) - Yet the Brentford incident (on the right)was simply awarded on the spot - Looking on the pics you'd say the Brentford incident was more correct based on where the Newcastle players hand is - Yet in both cases the flight of the ball was impeded by the defenders hand Handball incidents involving Dan Burn and Gabriel
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Very true, there's a small source of optimism that our next manager will not be Bruce, Allardyce, Pardew or Pulis
    Surely all those guys are getting very close to the point where their phones stop ringing, and they end up in the "retired football manager" category with the likes of Hoddle, Redknapp and Curbishley?  I think I recently heard Pulis saying he wasn't looking to return to management.

But I'm sure Neil Warnock could have his arm twisted....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joeyowen said:

A broken clock is right twice a day as they say.

Wrong ...... if someone pulled the hands off.
    If I was a betting man I'd stick a couple of grand on City to win the prem. I really can't see them losing and that would be £500 profit on current odds.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Scummers, I mean Saints are about to sack hassenhutel allegedly. If Forest get a result tonight Gerrard may be looking for a club. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited October 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Surely all those guys are getting very close to the point where their phones stop ringing, and they end up in the "retired football manager" category with the likes of Hoddle, Redknapp and Curbishley?  I think I recently heard Pulis saying he wasn't looking to return to management.

But I'm sure Neil Warnock could have his arm twisted....
    There would be a riot if they went for Warnock at Albion with his history with us. Up to now it's been fairly innocuous singing of negative stuff about whoever is in charge, but if it were Warnock there would be full on riots and an empty stadium

munckee said:
    Scummers, I mean Saints are about to sack hassenhutel allegedly. If Forest get a result tonight Gerrard may be looking for a club. 
    I suspect any premier (or in any way proven) manager is out of reach, both from a wages and a "I don't want to work there" point of view. Gerrard would not be accepted here either, rightly or wrongly for his Villa involvement, not that he'd want to drop down to our level anyway
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I suspect any premier (or in any way proven) manager is out of reach, both from a wages and a "I don't want to work there" point of view. Gerrard would not be accepted here either, rightly or wrongly for his Villa involvement, not that he'd want to drop down to our level anyway
    What about the guy who got Forest Green promoted last season, jumped ship to the rather unsteady ship that is Watford, and then got booted from there recently (presumably because he hadn't won the Champions League for Watford inside the first 10 matches)?

I'd be looking for someone without "a name", who's got some experience and success behind them, who might be inclined to take on the challenge without costing 2 earths.

If you get lucky, then you find a good young manager who can prove himself and do a good, steady job and try to rebuild over the next few seasons.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 345
    edited October 2022
    One of the things that baffles me about the implementation of VAR is that it doesn't get used in allot of the smaller decisions that officials seem to get wrong constantly. Is it a corner or a goal kick? it would take seconds to put that one right without upsetting the flow of the game 
  • TTony said:
    What about the guy who got Forest Green promoted last season, jumped ship to the rather unsteady ship that is Watford, and then got booted from there recently (presumably because he hadn't won the Champions League for Watford inside the first 10 matches)?

I'd be looking for someone without "a name", who's got some experience and success behind them, who might be inclined to take on the challenge without costing 2 earths.

If you get lucky, then you find a good young manager who can prove himself and do a good, steady job and try to rebuild over the next few seasons.
    I think for a club not in such a mess yes that makes sense, but there's no point in someone like him risking his future here so soon after Watford!
    There's a lot of talk about Haaland these days, and I have to admit I love watching him (hate City though!). He seems amazing, but just to put things into perspective .....

Graeme Souness: "If Cristiano Ronaldo never scores again, and Haaland also plays to 38, he will need to score 43 goals a season for the next 16 years just to level CR7’s career total."

I believe that Messi is also just 7 goals behind Ronaldo.

Ronaldo and Messi really are legendary.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter