Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

Relegation dogfight for Leeds tonight!
    I dare say the first of many such matches for a host of clubs in the bottom 10 - If we play like we did against Arsenal then we won't be far wrong - 4 'winnable games' in the next 6 matches so 8 points will be nice 
    Well that was poor last night - picked off twice on the counter attack - Poor games with two poor sides on display - Leicester were as bad as we were but they won - How can we go from such a strong performance against Arsenal and actually deserved a win, let alone a draw to a very lack lustre effort last night 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    So Stevie G has gone - I like the guy but it has not worked out well at all, be it this season or many games last season - So who goes into the Villa role next 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    So Stevie G has gone - I like the guy but it has not worked out well at all, be it this season or many games last season - So who goes into the Villa role next 
    Yeah, a shame, I hoped it would work out. Not that I shed tears for any millionaire manager who's out of  job! He was a great footballer but he's a bit of a dour bloke. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    he's put in for No 10
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Stevie G in the frame for the Leeds job next week?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Stevie G in the frame for the Leeds job next week?
    I don't think it is at that stage yet - but if no joy before the WC then that 6 week break might be a good time - But don't think Stevie G would go to Leeds and vice versa - To much 'bad history' - Would be like him going to Man U - Just don't go there - We made such a mistake 50 years ago with Cloughie 

Just frustrating that we out played Arsenal for a good part of the game - Especially 2nd half - Then made Leicester look kind of acceptable and yet they were still poor - It was a crap game and nothing in that win for Leicester to say they are back on the road as they were dour 
    tFB Trader
    Just seen a topical quote from a Notts Forest fan

After matching Brian Clough's record of 44 days in charge at Leeds, expecting Truss to take over at Forest and turn them in to European Champions within 4 years
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

After matching Brian Clough's record of 44 days in charge at Leeds, expecting Truss to take over at Forest and turn them in to European Champions within 4 years
    Haha!

(P.S. it's Nottingham ;)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650

someone quoted it as "the damned united (kingdom)"
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    joneve said:

Haha!

(P.S. it's Nottingham ;)
    I've never understood that @joneve - why is it Nottingham/Nottm Forest, but Notts County?

If County were based somewhere else (in the county), it might make more sense, but as they're both based in Nottingham, I don't understand
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • So Stevie G has gone - I like the guy but it has not worked out well at all, be it this season or many games last season - So who goes into the Villa role next 
    Could kinda tell his days were numbered in the last month. Sean Dyche surely has to come in.

Back to my own team, good win vs PSV last night. Nice to see Xhaka getting some love from the fans. No one seems to be complaining he's got the captain's armband again (until Odegaard came on at least). To think we could have sold the guy to Roma for £12m a year ago.
    TTony said:
    joneve said:

Haha!

(P.S. it's Nottingham ;)
    I've never understood that @joneve - why is it Nottingham/Nottm Forest, but Notts County?

If County were based somewhere else (in the county), it might make more sense, but as they're both based in Nottingham, I don't understand
    It just is mate. I don't make the rules :D 

It's never bothered me much to be honest - but I think it's to do with not being associated with County and probably the fact that Direby fans refer to us as Notts Forest so immediately gets fans backs up. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    He always spoke about himself in interviews which I found odd
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    TTony said:
    joneve said:

Haha!

(P.S. it's Nottingham ;)

It just is mate. I don't make the rules :D 

It's never bothered me much to be honest - but I think it's to do with not being associated with County and probably the fact that Direby fans refer to us as Notts Forest so immediately gets fans backs up. 
    I live near Derby and I dare say that I've just picked up the local dialect - Hence Notts Forest - And like you Forest fans I dislike Darby and would always favour Forest in a local derby 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited October 2022
    Isn't it just that countries in general trend to be shortened and an S added - Warks, Yorks, Lancs? Whereas cities are not - although I have heard people around here call Birmingham Birmz which makes me die a little inside 

The fact Notts County are based in Nottingham is surely not that odd with it being the county town?
  • Well played Forest.. Great game
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Well played Forest.. Great game
    Yeah saw that game. Forest done great there; didn't get suckered in by Liverpool's play acting either.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited October 2022
    Notts, Nottm, Nott....Forest. Whichever you are, GET IN YOU BEAUTIES!

That and Leicester winning midweek hasn't half tightened things up at the arse end of the table.

Klopp out? 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

That and Leicester winning midweek hasn't half tightened things up at the arse end of the table.

Klopp out? 
    Forest deserved it today - Dogged defending and could have had another 1 or 2 goals other than the LFC keeper

As for the bottom 1/2 of the table, or arse end as you say - It is a pity how big investment controls the league - Before the season starts you know which 10 clubs are immediately going to be in/close to the bottom 3 and even now, only 1 or 2 wins can move you from the bottom 2/3 places to around 12th - For such clubs the fight for 40 points is the goal - Yet the top 6 elite are almost guaranteed a fight for European places at the start of the season, with 2/3 clubs hovering below that, yet sitting above the bottom 10 arse end clubs - And City almost certainly guaranteed 1st place in August  - Fulham and Bournemouth have made a cracking start and far better than many predicted - But 2/3/4 defeats on the trot and it won't look so clever - They know they are only days away from a true dog fight ,as they still strife towards that 1st target of 40 points - The Elite don't worry about such issues 

Last 2 or 3 years then Wolves and West Ham did well to hover around the 6th to 8th place, and push for Europe,  but it shows what fine margins it is between achieving this and only months later, currently off course, with Brighton/Newcastle currently trying to take those places 

The PL is now a closed shop as far as the top 6 elite clubs are concerned - Part of me says let them piss off to a European Super League with their closed shop and then lets have a competitive PL like the EFL - Look at the EFL league table and tell me know who is guaranteed a top 3 position and who is guaranteed a play off place - Currently around 10/15 clubs in with a shout - True competition with financial guide lines in place - Not who sells the most oil or who has the most $'s 
    Hattigol said:

Klopp out? 
    Forest deserved it today - Dogged defending and could have had another 1 or 2 goals other than the LFC keeper

As for the bottom 1/2 of the table, or arse end as you say - It is a pity how big investment controls the league - Before the season starts you know which 10 clubs are immediately going to be in/close to the bottom 3 and even now, only 1 or 2 wins can move you from the bottom 2/3 places to around 12th - For such clubs the fight for 40 points is the goal - Yet the top 6 elite are almost guaranteed a fight for European places at the start of the season, with 2/3 clubs hovering below that, yet sitting above the bottom 10 arse end clubs - And City almost certainly guaranteed 1st place in August  - Fulham and Bournemouth have made a cracking start and far better than many predicted - But 2/3/4 defeats on the trot and it won't look so clever - They know they are only days away from a true dog fight ,as they still strife towards that 1st target of 40 points - The Elite don't worry about such issues 

Last 2 or 3 years then Wolves and West Ham did well to hover around the 6th to 8th place, and push for Europe,  but it shows what fine margins it is between achieving this and only months later, currently off course, with Brighton/Newcastle currently trying to take those places 

The PL is now a closed shop as far as the top 6 elite clubs are concerned - Part of me says let them piss off to a European Super League with their closed shop and then lets have a competitive PL like the EFL - Look at the EFL league table and tell me know who is guaranteed a top 3 position and who is guaranteed a play off place - Currently around 10/15 clubs in with a shout - True competition with financial guide lines in place - Not who sells the most oil or who has the most $'s 
    That's not like you, what's brought this on? 

Surely not Slippy G getting the sack and Liverpool, sorry, LFC losing?
    Jon Eve still out celebrating ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    bertie said:
    This guy gets more attention than any footballer does in this thread :lol: 
    tFB Trader
    Man U v Chelsea - Looked like a game of two halves - One bland and one boring - All the excitement certainly in the last 5-10 mins - Both appeared to be more worried about losing - If it was a game of chess you'd be saying they attacked with their Pawns, as they were certainly to scared to loose a Rook or Bishop whilst trying to care out an opening 

Probably a better point for Man U than Chelsea - can't call them Chelski anymore 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited October 2022
    It's so rare... but here are my Rangers, top of the league

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Oh god I hope Millwall come up. That will be an interesting couple of fixtures. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    It's so rare... but here are my Rangers, top of the league

And look how close it is between 14th and 4th - Pick the play off teams from that bunch
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Yikes! Luton were 4th last time I looked and now 8th! Such a tight league, we HAVE to win today!!!!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Man U v Chelsea - Looked like a game of two halves - One bland and one boring - All the excitement certainly in the last 5-10 mins - Both appeared to be more worried about losing - If it was a game of chess you'd be saying they attacked with their Pawns, as they were certainly to scared to loose a Rook or Bishop whilst trying to care out an opening 

Probably a better point for Man U than Chelsea - can't call them Chelski anymore 
    I’ve not seen it yet, but from the stats looks like United had a lot more chances. I think not getting a point would have been a bit harsh.

bertie said:
    Haha. Was sick as a dog yesterday so missed the first hour of the game.last 30 mins I saw and watching highlights back, it was the first time this season we looked like a cohesive unit for 90 minutes. Hopefully the start of the squad gelling. Always nice to get one over on the bin dippers as well. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2022
    bertie said:
    This guy gets more attention than any footballer does in this thread lol 
    he has "special needs"      ;)