Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    sev112 said:
    Seems off, even as a WH supporter, that’s hand ball.  Doesn’t matter that his eyes are closed and his hands are in a natural position .  

Yea but if I remember we had a similar thing happen against us recently so it's swings and roundabouts I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    sev112 said:
    Seems off, even as a WH supporter, that’s hand ball.  Doesn’t matter that his eyes are closed and his hands are in a natural position .  

Yea but if I remember we had a similar thing happen against us recently so it's swings and roundabouts I guess. 
    People often say Swings and roundabouts, but to me that is just not good enough for what I assume is the richest and most popular sport in the world. The standard of officiating is just not good enough, the bar is set way too low. I can't think of any other sport where decisions that are wrong and affect the outcome happen with such alarming regularity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2022
    axisus said:
    sev112 said:

People often say Swings and roundabouts, but to me that is just not good enough for what I assume is the richest and most popular sport in the world. The standard of officiating is just not good enough, the bar is set way too low. I can't think of any other sport where decisions that are wrong and affect the outcome happen with such alarming regularity.
    Sure. But... It's also part of the game and because of the position of the players, the amount of people on the field and the speed of the play, it will be impossible to see everything and get everything right. VAR hasn't helped because there are still humans making poor decisions at the end of it. 

I know this is controversial but some of the greatest football moments have come from missed fouls or poor decisions. Hand of God being one of them. I think it's part of the game and some of my biggest footballing memories have been arguing for or against particular decisions. And I don't know if I'm that fussed to put pressure on officials to do the impossible or inherently change the game by having even more remote officiating because in the end some will go against you but some will also go for you. Of course some games are more high stakes than others but most games don't have many wrong decisions that decide the outcome so I'm not that bothered in general.

But yes, I do agree the officiating needs to improve but my overall point is that it may not be possible for it to be perfect because of the nature of the game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So Emery named as Gerrard's replacement as Villa manager. Good luck to the guy, I think he'll do well. The Arsenal job was a bit too much for him and he didn't get the support of the board. But it wasn't all bad. He brought through Saka, Martinelli and Smith Rowe. I don't think he should have frozen out Ozil though. But this team now is actually playing, as a team. Not great individuals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    So Emery named as Gerrard's replacement as Villa manager. Good luck to the guy, I think he'll do well. The Arsenal job was a bit too much for him and he didn't get the support of the board. But it wasn't all bad. He brought through Saka, Martinelli and Smith Rowe. I don't think he should have frozen out Ozil though. But this team now is actually playing, as a team. Not great individuals.
    Recall watching Villarreal a couple of times in European games and he looked like he had a 'non-fancy' team that was well set-up and exciting to watch - It has turned out well in the end for Arsenal (or they appear to be on track) but a couple of times it makes you wonder if the Gunners got rid of him to early 

5 Europa League finals with 4 wins is a pretty good record that few can match - many managers with bigger egos or allegedly bigger reputations can't match that - Hard to count a French title with PSG as a success, as almost harder for PSG not to win the title than actually  win it 

Of course will be interesting to see what he gets out of this Villa
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's a good manager, no doubt about that, but maybe for certain teams, i.e not Europe's Elite like Barcelona, Man City, Bayern, etc. Though he did win the League with PSG. And he's got a good record in the Europa League as we all know.

I think he should have been given a bit more time but the thing is these days with the boardroom upstairs in football clubs is they want instant results. I didn't like the way he the team up though, simply outscore the opposition. This whole playing out from the back thing made me nervous. We even lost goals cos of it.

Let's see how he does with Villa, as I said before, good luck to him.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Pic is calendar year 2022 table. Interesting eh?

Dont worry, be silly.
  • VAR taking 5 minutes to make offside decision in Spurs v Sporting Lisbon match is getting very silly. If the decision is not immediately obvious, the goal should stand (and I'm not a Spurs fan). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    VAR taking 5 minutes to make offside decision in Spurs v Sporting Lisbon match is getting very silly. If the decision is not immediately obvious, the goal should stand (and I'm not a Spurs fan). 
    VAR is a crock of sh*te. It's ruining the game and too many decisions are wrong. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    swiller said:
    Pic is calendar year 2022 table. Interesting eh?

Newcastle had FOUR points at the end of 2021 (If I'm remembering correctly). 

It does give me hope that Forest can still turn it around if they keep improving in the way they have the last 3-4 weeks. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    axisus said:
    VAR taking 5 minutes to make offside decision in Spurs v Sporting Lisbon match is getting very silly. If the decision is not immediately obvious, the goal should stand (and I'm not a Spurs fan). 
    VAR is a crock of sh*te. It's ruining the game and too many decisions are wrong. 
    Totally agree. Who the fk is thinking that a 4 minute review of a toenail's potential offside is what fans want? Joke end to the Spurs game last night - whoever you support, that is just absolute bollocks.

Could they not apply a time-limit of say 1 minute - and if they can't see enough to overturn the decision in that time, ref's decision stands?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Fuck VAR and the horse it rode in on.

There has to be a time limit on decisions and there has to be an umpire's call margin of error.

We used to have a great game, but obsessive needless pissing around with the laws of the game and now this mood-killer has made it ridiculous. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Football is STILL the only sport that's introduced AI aided technology and video review to assist with enforcing the rules...and COMPLETELY fucked it up. 

Every other sport has integrated it without any issue. 

VAR isn't the issue - the way it's implemented is. 

Side note: Really hope PSV run Arsenal ragged tonight :D 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Farcical VAR situation last night.

I'm assuming that the eventual decision was (technically) "correct", that's not the complaint.  Taking *that long* to determine whether a player is offside is the farce.  If it can't be determined within a reasonable timescale - 1 minute - then the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacking side, as it always used to be.

After the first goal went in, I didn't really celebrate because I saw their goalie fall to the floor, so assumed that VAR would rule it out.  VAR is sucking the positive emotions out of the game, but - worse - replacing it with a lot of negative emotions which does not lead to well behaved fans, nor does it support "respect" for the officials (recognising that the officials in the grounds are as powerless as everyone else).

Football is - was - a sport, not a science.  Precision is an integral part of some sports (darts, poker, whatever).  In other sports that precision is secondary to a reasonable interpretation of the laws of the game which can not be so precise.

All of the above said, VAR wasn't the reason that Spurs didn't win last night.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    scrumhalf said:
    Fuck VAR and the horse it rode in on.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have opposed VAR for as long as I can remember. Entirely vindicated in that by the completely predictable hilarity that we see every week.

Football isn't suited to video refereeing. It's ruining the experience for the fans in the stadium, it's slowing the game down, and it's not even getting decisions right. 

Bin. It. Now. 
  • Have opposed VAR for as long as I can remember. Entirely vindicated in that by the completely predictable hilarity that we see every week.

Football isn't suited to video refereeing. It's ruining the experience for the fans in the stadium, it's slowing the game down, and it's not even getting decisions right. 

Bin. It. Now. 
    VAR is a great idea. Remember all the Saturday evenings we watched Match of the Day discussing crap refereeing decisions? It's the implementation that is all wrong. One option is - that if the VAR man can't say for sure within 1 minute that an error has been made - the referee's decision stands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2022
    Have opposed VAR for as long as I can remember. Entirely vindicated in that by the completely predictable hilarity that we see every week.

Bin. It. Now. 
    VAR is a great idea. Remember all the Saturday evenings we watched Match of the Day discussing crap refereeing decisions? 
    No it ain't. That's exactly what's happening now. It doesn't work in practice. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited October 2022
    Have opposed VAR for as long as I can remember. Entirely vindicated in that by the completely predictable hilarity that we see every week.

Bin. It. Now. 
    VAR is a great idea. Remember all the Saturday evenings we watched Match of the Day discussing crap refereeing decisions? It's the implementation that is all wrong. One option is - that if the VAR man can't say for sure within 1 minute that an error has been made - the referee's decision stands.
    We discuss crap refereeing decisions even more than we used to. its shambolic, its ruining the spectator experience, and they're still getting it wrong anyway. 

The rules of football do not lend themselves to getting every single decision objectively "correct". Its impossible. So lets stop fannying around, go back to using technology for goal line decisions only, and move on from a tragically failed experiment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    I'm a Spurs supporter and was gutted. That said it took too long but was technically correct. The interesting thing is how many pro footballers don't understand the rules of the game. They obviously learnt as kids and haven't moved on.
    Surely it would be in a clubs interest to have it's vastly expensive players know the rules?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    ennspek said:
    I'm a Spurs supporter and was gutted. That said it took too long but was technically correct. The interesting thing is how many pro footballers don't understand the rules of the game. They obviously learnt as kids and haven't moved on.
    Surely it would be in a clubs interest to have it's vastly expensive players know the rules?
    Which rule?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited October 2022
    Hattigol said:
    ennspek said:
    Which rule?
    All of the different types of Spursyisms. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspek said:
    Also true for referees and VAR people. An accidental handball in one game is a penalty, but not in the next game. An attacker wins a penalty despite having a handful of a defenders shirt in one game, but is penalised for the shirt pull in another game.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    It no longer matters if a ball is passed forwards or not for offside. Also intent is constantly misconstrued.
  • Can't believe how my Cherries gave it away to Spurs in 2nd half. Shame. 
    Tottenham played well but still...
  • Potter, Potter, what's the score?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Yes Leeds!! What a great game 
    tFB Trader
    Didn’t see that coming 
    bet it is not that often Man U fans are made happy by A Leeds performance 
    and deserved it as well although a couple of times we rolled our luck
    tFB Trader
    Nice of Klopp to offer even a slight hint of praise to Leeds for their endeavour last night 
    Nice of Klopp to offer even a slight hint of praise to Leeds for their endeavour last night 
    Hey Leeds. Thanks for embarrassing us! :lol: