Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    FFL done 
    surely enough is enough a team devoid of ideas , devoid of any tactics and devoid of any confidence 
    Pretty disgusting as well that only 4 players plus Frank when to wave/thank travelling fans - It is for the fans to decide if they wish to snub or cheer the players - Not the players to snub the fans - Total lack of respect to the fans 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited January 2023
    sev112 said:
    Hammers on the way to win the league  
    Have it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Liverpool vs Chelsea today, first time I’ve ever know it to be a genuine mid table clash!

Not looking forward to playing Arsenal tomorrow, without Casemiro.  I’ve predicted a reverse of the OT fixture, 3-1 to Arsenal.  The good thing the real battle for us is top 4 and we’ve got in a position for a defeat now not to be too costly.
    Much better game and closer than I thought it would be.  Never happy to lose but we’ve improved massively since ETH took over.
    Well played Arsenal.  A tighter grip on the PL title.   
    tFB Trader

Liverpool vs Chelsea today, first time I’ve ever know it to be a genuine mid table clash!

Not looking forward to playing Arsenal tomorrow, without Casemiro.  I’ve predicted a reverse of the OT fixture, 3-1 to Arsenal.  The good thing the real battle for us is top 4 and we’ve got in a position for a defeat now not to be too costly.
    Much better game and closer than I thought it would be.  Never happy to lose but we’ve improved massively since ETH took over.
    Well played Arsenal.  A tighter grip on the PL title.   
    As a neutral, but less inclined to wish for one side to win more than the other, I enjoyed the game - Good competition - Good goals - Excitement - What wasn't there to enjoy 

Man U have seriously improved compared to recent seasons - Maybe they are not yet where they want to be, but surely their fans can see progress and I bet at the start of the season they'd have accepted the current position, run, points etc etc 
    tFB Trader
    LUFC - I suppose nothing lost but nothing gained today - It probably lacked some quality/composure more than anything else, other than a goal - Neither side deserved to win but no shortage of energy - Brentford certainly well organised - But we need to pick up points and soon - Next five PL games are Forest (a) Man U (a) Man U (h) Everton (a) Southampton (h) - Silly that we play Man U twice in 4/5 days in the PL, but down to the postponed games from the week QE11 died 
    tFB Trader
    The Daily Mail are now running a story of how the sponsors of 10 Premier League clubs, are being sponsored by companies connected to a Chinese guy just jailed for 18 years for illegal betting stuff. https://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-11661895/MPs-want-investigation-links-jailed-Chinese-billionaire-clubs-betting-partners.html
  • What what a win. To do it like we did was incredible. Fell behind, went ahead then got pegged back. I'd have taken 2-2 but obviously the team didn't want to, they just kept going. Saka was absolutely sensational today along with Odegaard.

Still, halfway point through the season so remaining cautious, as anything can happen between now and May.
  • Fantastic performance by Arsenal... Saka matured so much during the course of this season. 
    Utd played well and 2-2 draw would be fair result but Arsenal was determined to win. Zinchenko's reaction says it all.
    That was a great game. 
  • I reckon Lampard will be sacked today. Him and Stevie G were great players but not so much as managers.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I reckon Lampard will be sacked today. Him and Stevie G were great players but not so much as managers.
    Me too, with still half a season left they have time to do something.

On paper they only need 6-7 wins out of those to get 18pts and would be close if not to safety...might be a lot to ask but it's possible.
  • I never understood why clubs would sack managers in April like Burnley did with Sean Dyche. What use is that to a new manager with hardly any time to turn it around?
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    I reckon Lampard will be sacked today. Him and Stevie G were great players but not so much as managers.
    Me too, with still half a season left they have time to do something.

On paper they only need 6-7 wins out of those to get 18pts and would be close if not to safety...might be a lot to ask but it's possible.
    If you have watched Everton ( i have A LOT ) you would realise that those 6-7 wins are not going to happen under Lampard 

go through the spine of the team , Pickford, Tarkowski, Coady , Onana , Gray , DCL they should be doing a lot better than they are so something has to change and its Frank 
    AND he has gone 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    FFL done 
    surely enough is enough a team devoid of ideas , devoid of any tactics and devoid of any confidence 
    Pretty disgusting as well that only 4 players plus Frank when to wave/thank travelling fans - It is for the fans to decide if they wish to snub or cheer the players - Not the players to snub the fans - Total lack of respect to the fans 
    I have it on good authority that the locker room at Everton is an absolute shambles and as toxic as it gets (my cousin is friends with one of the players), so this doesn’t surprise me at all.
    joneve said:
    FFL done 
    I have it on good authority that the locker room at Everton is an absolute shambles and as toxic as it gets (my cousin is friends with one of the players), so this doesn’t surprise me at all.
    this does not surprise me at all, the club needs someone to come in and kick some heads in and be ruthless 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    joneve said:
    FFL done 
    this does not surprise me at all, the club needs someone to come in and kick some heads in and be ruthless 
    There's a lot of talk about Bielsa at the mo

just talk though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    oh please please let it be BIelsa 

he wont put up with any shit 
    edited January 2023

It would be good if Bielsa takes the job.  He really won't take any shit but also, it applies from his employers too.  He quit for failed promises from the higher up before in Italy.  So i have doubts he will take the job considering all the trouble the management side are having.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Sean Dyche's name was coming up a bit but board don't fancy him because he looks like a scotch egg
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1042

Big Sam: Hold my pint of wine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 3 points against Fulham, and a clean sheet..  I'll take that despite a poor performance, lacking creativity, and littered with careless passes.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    3 points against Fulham, and a clean sheet..  I'll take that despite a poor performance, lacking creativity, and littered with careless passes.
    So, a potential forward line of Kane, Son, Kulusevski & Richarlison, and the best we can manage is to scrape a 1-0 win at Fulham.

That forward line should have just about every other PL defence madly happy if they only concede 2 or 3 goals in a game.

Something is not right in the way we’re playing.

*shakes head sadly*
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • As an Arsenal fan I actually think Kane should leave Tottenham. He's the best striker the club might have had but he may end up winning nothing in his career. Utd looks like his most likely destination if he does, I think he's 30 this year so its now or never.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    As an Arsenal fan I actually think Kane should leave Tottenham. He's the best striker the club might have had but he may end up winning nothing in his career. Utd looks like his most likely destination if he does, I think he's 30 this year so its now or never.
    Depends on what motivates him.

If he wanted to win trophies, then he should/would have left a few years ago, and headed off to Bayern Munich or Barcelona ow whoever was winning trophies at the time he moved.  But choose a club that was dominant in its national league so that trophies were assured - it's difficult to call that in the UK.

If he wants to be remembered by Spurs fans for decades as our all-time leading scorer, and be welcome at WHL forever, then he did right to stay (but could leave now!).

If he wants Shearer's record too, then he'd have to think carefully about where else in the PL he'd get more game time than he does at Spurs.  Though he might be petitioning Levy to replace Conte with a manger who had the word "attacking" in his play-dictionary.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I'm just looking for a reason for him to move on as he always scores against us!

He would definitely be Man Utd first choice striker if he ended up there. They haven't had a proper centre forward since Ruud van Nistelrooy.

I remember a decade Robin van Persie left us then painfully won the league with Utd. But that's cos he wanted to win trophies and he did the next season. But the story unfolded (that us fans never knew about) we never offered him a new deal so what else was he meant to do.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Kane has given most of his best years to spurs... since the CL final, they have gone backwards, I can't see that changing.

He has 2 or 3 years left at the top. If I was him I'd look at a change. He'd improve man utd a lot.
    I can see Kane doing the same as Van Persie did when he joined.  He is not going to win trophies at spurs, I think even he knows that.