Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    From Arseblog news - made me laugh!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

We've been used to getting Chelsea's fading players (Cech, Gallas, David Luiz and Willian) and they weren't that great. Players over 30 on 3 year deals for a high wage.

We do need backup for Partey and I'd rather we didn't move Xhaka back to play in front of the defence as he's been excelling further forward in midfield. I'd like ot see Ben White get a go in CDM (I think he played there for Leeds) or even Zinchenko as he can play there too. Then again Jorginho has PL experience and can pass the ball about. He can take a decent penalty as well despite that silly hop jump thing he does. Maybe we should go for Kante instead haha.
    He did play a few games at CDM with Leeds but not really with any success - Yes maybe okay as a 'stopper' in that role, but not with that 1/4 back style ball distribution that some look for in a player in that role - Plus got caught out a few times position wise, as I dare say in that position runners are coming from all angles/places, whereas a centre back everything should be in front of you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

We've been used to getting Chelsea's fading players (Cech, Gallas, David Luiz and Willian) and they weren't that great. Players over 30 on 3 year deals for a high wage.

We do need backup for Partey and I'd rather we didn't move Xhaka back to play in front of the defence as he's been excelling further forward in midfield. I'd like ot see Ben White get a go in CDM (I think he played there for Leeds) or even Zinchenko as he can play there too. Then again Jorginho has PL experience and can pass the ball about. He can take a decent penalty as well despite that silly hop jump thing he does. Maybe we should go for Kante instead haha.
    He did play a few games at CDM with Leeds but not really with any success - Yes maybe okay as a 'stopper' in that role, but not with that 1/4 back style ball distribution that some look for in a player in that role - Plus got caught out a few times position wise, as I dare say in that position runners are coming from all angles/places, whereas a centre back everything should be in front of you 
    Actually in truth I never saw him play in that position before, just read he did. Kiwior can also play there apparently but Zinchenko looks like the best bet if no one else came in, Elneny is out for a sustainable amount of time so can see why we've moved for Jorginho. Stop gap til the summer I suppose then go for Rice or someone else a bit younger. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

Actually in truth I never saw him play in that position before, just read he did. Kiwior can also play there apparently but Zinchenko looks like the best bet if no one else came in, Elneny is out for a sustainable amount of time so can see why we've moved for Jorginho. Stop gap til the summer I suppose then go for Rice or someone else a bit younger. 
    Rice would be ideal for you - I dare say LFC and MCFC + Chelsea all want him - Not so sure Man U need him currently with Casemiro there now - I still follow Ben, as of course he was part of our EFL side and we wanted him - So good to see him pushing on and doing a good job at LB but I bet he wants to go back to CB 
  • Still a bit unsure about this very likely Jorginho to Arsenal move. Seeing as we can't get Caicedo its a bit of a panic buy I think. Although if Brighton don't want to sell and Arteta/Edu don't want to pay over the odds (£70m+) then its always going to be a dead end.

Rice would be ideal for you - I dare say LFC and MCFC + Chelsea all want him - Not so sure Man U need him currently with Casemiro there now - I still follow Ben, as of course he was part of our EFL side and we wanted him - So good to see him pushing on and doing a good job at LB but I bet he wants to go back to CB 
    Yes and we will be outbid like with the Mudryk situation. West Ham can name their price and Chelsea will pay it.

You mean at RB? Don't recall Benny playing as a left-back! But yeah with Saliba forming a pretty good CB partnership with Gabriel it's hard for him to get in the side, Tomiyasu is even struggling to get his place back. Lokonga on loan to Palace looks like it'll be good for him as he clearly needs to play each week and learnt about the position. I'd like to recall Patino but I know he's not ready and doesn't need the added pressure and will probably be sitting on the bench watching Partey - Xhaka every week anyway. He's doing well up at Blackpool so its vital he develops more and gets that regular game time. It helped Smith Rowe and Saliba albeit in a different country.
    tFB Trader

Yes and we will be outbid like with the Mudryk situation. West Ham can name their price and Chelsea will pay it.

You mean at RB? Don't recall Benny playing as a left-back! But yeah with Saliba forming a pretty good CB partnership with Gabriel it's hard for him to get in the side, Tomiyasu is even struggling to get his place back. Lokonga on loan to Palace looks like it'll be good for him as he clearly needs to play each week and learnt about the position. I'd like to recall Patino but I know he's not ready and doesn't need the added pressure and will probably be sitting on the bench watching Partey - Xhaka every week anyway. He's doing well up at Blackpool so it's vital he develops more and gets that regular game time. It helped Smith Rowe and Saliba albeit in a different country.
    Sorry - I meant RB
    tFB Trader
    Leeds equalled an FA Cup record last night with the 5th round draw - 12th consecutive away draw, a record now shared with Villa and Brighton - Not had a home tie since 2016 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    It’s nice to be excited on deadline day for a change. 

Seems the whole of PL Twitter is still rattled by little old forest. :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    It looks like Chelsea under Abramovic was the cheapo version, given how much the new owners are spending. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Well good to see Everton have backed their new manager 

relegation beckons 
    Felipe on loan then. Can’t complain…much needed bolstering at CB. That’s 3 Brazilian’s this window and 4 in total :D 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    This is one crazy January window....mostly because of Chelsea treating it like a computer game!  Insane amount of money spent.
  • West Brom managed to offload one useless carthorse by cancelling his contract, but sadly not the other one who remains in place because a loan deal for a 12 year old from Chelsea didn't happen. Instead we signed a Fulham reject and a pensionable former Villa reject winger from Leicester.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    West Brom managed to offload one useless carthorse by cancelling his contract, but sadly not the other one who remains in place because a loan deal for a 12 year old from Chelsea didn't happen. Instead we signed a Fulham reject and a pensionable former Villa reject winger from Leicester.
    You don't sound that impressed?

But, chin up, things could be worse, at least you're not an Everton supporter.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Spurs:  OK, we've needed a decent Right (Wing) Back for a while.  

But then we sold 3 England international (Kyle Walker, Keiran Tripper, and Kyle Walker-Peters) which, in at least 2 of those cases, seems a bit silly when you look at what we brought in to replace them.

Porro - let's see.  Can help feeling that we've been had commercially if some of the reports are true.  Risky.

Quite why we then gave Doherty away (I realise we've already got too many loan-outs, so couldn't loan him) *and* loaned Spence to Ligue1, takes some explaining though.  We've gone from having 3 RWBs of varying quality, to keeping the least-good one of those plus an untried import. 

Not a lot of injury cover there ...

And if Spence had to be loaned somewhere, could it not at least have been another Prem League side, so he comes back with some actual relevant game time experience??
  • TTony said:
    West Brom managed to offload one useless carthorse by cancelling his contract, but sadly not the other one who remains in place because a loan deal for a 12 year old from Chelsea didn't happen. Instead we signed a Fulham reject and a pensionable former Villa reject winger from Leicester.
    You don't sound that impressed?

But, chin up, things could be worse, at least you're not an Everton supporter.
    Being a West Brom fan is rarely about being impressed (our only truly good signings seem to be loan players who go back to their clubs). I think Everton are doing better than we were at this point last time we were up there.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Am I the only one hoping that Chelsea fail?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    axisus said:
    Nope. I’m with you on that. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Well done to Newcastle - first final in 24 years.

All being well we'll join them, although an early goal by Forest tonight and it could be a nervous wait.  Should be a formality at OT tonight but you never know.
    TTony said:
    Spurs:  OK, we've needed a decent Right (Wing) Back for a while.  

But then we sold 3 England international (Kyle Walker, Keiran Tripper, and Kyle Walker-Peters) which, in at least 2 of those cases, seems a bit silly when you look at what we brought in to replace them.

Porro - let's see.  Can help feeling that we've been had commercially if some of the reports are true.  Risky.

Quite why we then gave Doherty away (I realise we've already got too many loan-outs, so couldn't loan him) *and* loaned Spence to Ligue1, takes some explaining though.  We've gone from having 3 RWBs of varying quality, to keeping the least-good one of those plus an untried import. 

Not a lot of injury cover there ...

And if Spence had to be loaned somewhere, could it not at least have been another Prem League side, so he comes back with some actual relevant game time experience??
    Can’t tell you how thrilled I am that Spence wasn’t loaned out to a bottom half premier league club. He would have made a real difference wherever he ended up. 

Well done to Newcastle - first final in 24 years.

All being well we'll join them, although an early goal by Forest tonight and it could be a nervous wait.  Should be a formality at OT tonight but you never know.
    Hopefully Nevas’ plane is going straight from Paris to Manchester so he starts tonight :D. You’ll have no problem with OL’ Wayne between the sticks :-( 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    axisus said:
    They allegedly pulled some shit housery with PSG over Hakim Ziyech's move.

They've really pissed off PSG and the player.

I've read they sent the wrong paperwork 3 times, then sent the correct paperwork once the window was closed.

They're just a shit club. Can't stand them.

I feel sorry for Potter. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Potter did choose to go there to be fair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    CHRISB50 said:
    axisus said:
    They allegedly pulled some shit housery with PSG over Hakim Ziyech's move.

They've really pissed off PSG and the player.

I've read they sent the wrong paperwork 3 times, then sent the correct paperwork once the window was closed.

They're just a shit club. Can't stand them.

I feel sorry for Potter. 

Im amazed that USA Chelsea have managed to become more hated that they were under  Abramovic (distorting transfer market values, supressing youth development, avoiding FFP). They really are mortgaging the future to get short term benefits - I hope they fail as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229

Someone pointed out that because they are now backed by an investment firm, their purchases are now seen as an investment and they are betting on these players will become more valuable or add value to the team in the future.

I think they have been smoking too much weed now the US have legalised it. Paying £100mil for someone hoping you are going to be profitable from it is bonkers. Buying 2 players at almost £200mil combined in the space of 2 weeks is a sickness. Spending £600mil in 6 months is …. God knows what.

They have bought in so many players now means they all can’t play, and when a player can’t play, their value drops. So how do they expect to increase these players’ value when he can’t play all of them?

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    axisus said:
    I'll join your party

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    See Leicester's owners have converted a £194 million debt into equity - That is only 10 years after they did likewise in 2013 then it was for just over £100 million - Assume this clears them of any FFP issues 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    CHRISB50 said:
    axisus said:
    I'll join your party

I should add that I like Potter, It's a shame that Chelsea failing would mean that he has to. Oh well .....
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 130
    Chelsea doing a Leeds, bet the club on future success.
    marauder said:
    Chelsea doing a Leeds, bet the club on future success.
    Let’s hope that it turns out as well for Chelsea too.
    :D