Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    How can Liverpool be so utterly rubbish this season???? Defies belief! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    They are getting older, high tempo & gegenpressing takes it out of you, Mane was extremely important to the team. Klopps teams tend to have off seasons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    Pedestrian midfield which does not suit klippity klopps master plan , mane going hurt them massively , Salah saved them on many occasions and now he has his new massive contract doesn’t look like he can be arsed, VVD never been same since injury. Not signed players that were needed everyone can see their midfield needed strengthening and they bought Darwin instead 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think Dyche is a seriously under rated manager who is able to get a lot out of players and I think you'll see them move up the table because of his talent. 
    I think so too.  His team will not will the league but his teams are always hard to beat, always worked with a limited budget and done well with what he got.

I think Everton will be fine with him in charge.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Mane is a big loss for LFC - Not just the goals but his whole game, both attack, closing down, defence - Ditto Firming for quite a few games - Jotta was brought in to do a job and started to show signs of a good move, but injury has taken him out - In a way that has put pressure on Nunez and Diaz, especially as Klopp likes to 'play in' his big signings and the same appears to be going for Gakpo - Sabah not on fire

But IMO, the way LFC like to play I'd say they almost need a total overhaul in midfield - The tempo, pressure, slick passing is missing - You can play thru' them and they barely ever get a goal from midfield these days

As it stands, they are not just a bit of top form, they are mediocre at best - Only chance of a trophy now is CL and that must be slim odds at best 
    tFB Trader
    @joneve - I can't wish you all the best for today - But feel with results going the right way yesterday for Everton, West Ham, Leicester and Wolves, then that puts more pressure on us - Especially as our next 2 games are Man U - Twice - away + home within 4/5 days, so chances are zero points from those 2 games - Then Everton + Soton - So feel we need 5-7 points out of those 3 games ( Forest, Everton, Soton) otherwise it will get very messy 
    tFB Trader
    @joneve - I can't wish you all the best for today - But feel with results going the right way yesterday for Everton, West Ham, Leicester and Wolves, then that puts more pressure on us - Especially as our next 2 games are Man U - Twice - away + home within 4/5 days, so chances are zero points from those 2 games - Then Everton + Soton - So feel we need 5-7 points out of those 3 games ( Forest, Everton, Soton) otherwise it will get very messy 
    Through gritted teeth and more of a snarl than a smile, well done - Nearly there but not quite sums up our game at the moment - Credit to Cooper for making the changes at the start of the 2nd half that nullified much of our threat - Great keeping, or more composure needed ? - Sinisterra missed a sitter on the edge of the 6 yd box, but we should have made more of those chances - Second half and can't recall either keeper having to make a save - Certainly a solid and resolute performance by Forest - Maybe the words of Stevie Winwood sums up the difference today 'When you see a chance take it '

2 games next v Man U - Wed + Sun, so can't see us collecting a point from those games, so a tough ride from now on in
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

The HARRY.  #1.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    surely it should've been a Grealish yellow  not a Romero red ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Through gritted teeth and more of a snarl than a smile, well done - Nearly there but not quite sums up our game at the moment - Credit to Cooper for making the changes at the start of the 2nd half that nullified much of our threat - Great keeping, or more composure needed ? - Sinisterra missed a sitter on the edge of the 6 yd box, but we should have made more of those chances - Second half and can't recall either keeper having to make a save - Certainly a solid and resolute performance by Forest - Maybe the words of Stevie Winwood sums up the difference today 'When you see a chance take it '

2 games next v Man U - Wed + Sun, so can't see us collecting a point from those games, so a tough ride from now on in
    Not the most entertaining game of football and Navas kept us in the game in the 1st half. You’d have been 3 up with Hennessey in goal for sure. 

As you say, second half, we basically nullified your threats whilst playing ugly football. Can’t really recall a proper chance for either side in the second half. 

We’ll take it though, those are the types of performances you long for when you’re not playing your best. 

But seriously, signing Keylor Navas was an absolute masterstroke. 36 or not, he’s very much still an elite keeper. His positioning and movement is like nothing I’ve really ever seen in a Forest shirt. I hope United can somehow nullify your game in hand (and I wonder if our re-arranged fixture at Elland Road will ever get played :D)

6 points off relegation is bonkers considering where we were a few months ago. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Kane, world class.

Emerson, best game for us by a country mile. 

Hojbjerg immense again. 

Grealish, show pony. 

Haaland, schmaaland. 
    I like the talk about ManC still being “only 5 points” behind Arsenal (though having played a game more) so the title isn’t over yet.

Spurs are “only 6 points” behind ManC - so presumably 2nd is still within reach ….

• Forest have 11 points from the last 5 games, what a turn around.

City looked poor today.  Why don’t they pass to Halaand when he’s making good runs?

Spurs looked good from what I saw.
  • Thanks Tottenham for keeping our lead to 5 points! Now back to hating them full-time....haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

Forest have 11 points from the last 5 games, what a turn around.

City looked poor today.  Why don’t they pass to Halaand when he’s making good runs?

The magic of Steve Cooper. Last season was no coincidence. He is REALLY good…and has finally got the squad gelling
    joneve said:

Forest have 11 points from the last 5 games, what a turn around.

The magic of Steve Cooper. Last season was no coincidence. He is REALLY good…and has finally got the squad gelling
    Chelsea is going to get him in the summer.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I like the talk about ManC still being “only 5 points” behind Arsenal (though having played a game more) so the title isn’t over yet.

Spurs are “only 6 points” behind ManC - so presumably 2nd is still within reach ….
    Can't be to often Arsenal fans are happy about a Spurs win - How does it make a Spurs fan feel if such a win helps Arsenal win the PL
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

Not the most entertaining game of football and Navas kept us in the game in the 1st half. You’d have been 3 up with Hennessey in goal for sure. 

As you say, second half, we basically nullified your threats whilst playing ugly football. Can’t really recall a proper chance for either side in the second half. 

We’ll take it though, those are the types of performances you long for when you’re not playing your best. 

But seriously, signing Keylor Navas was an absolute masterstroke. 36 or not, he’s very much still an elite keeper. His positioning and movement is like nothing I’ve really ever seen in a Forest shirt. I hope United can somehow nullify your game in hand (and I wonder if our re-arranged fixture at Elland Road will ever get played :D)

6 points off relegation is bonkers considering where we were a few months ago. 
    Slightly frustrated that the free kick, where the goal came from was offside - 3 touches later the ball is in the net but var can't interfere - Can't recall when/who it was, but a similar story months ago with another team - The attacking team won a corner and scored from the corner (cross + header) but the guy who won the corner was off side, but var can't check it 

Best chance in the 2nd half was Sturbridge from the edge of the box but didn't bend it enough - Our match v Man U (rearranged on Wed night) means we play them twice - Ironic as if that re-arranged match was v you, we'd play you twice in 3/4 days - I dare say when it gets to March/April, especially if we are out of the FA Cup, then we'll find a slot
  • TTony said:

Can't be to often Arsenal fans are happy about a Spurs win - How does it make a Spurs fan feel if such a win helps Arsenal win the PL

I won't be happy if Arsenal win it naturally, but then it's highly we will either so at this stage we have to be pragmatic and focus on ourselves.

City have to play Arsenal twice yet, so that's the why the "5 points" are relevant....
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I watched the Forest game and wondered who the goal was....I thought his face was very familiar and must have seen him in the Champions's League or some foreign cup....then I realised, PSG!

That is some recruitment, he is still really good as clearly shown in the day.  I think Forest might start getting more clean sheets now.
  • I watched the Forest game and wondered who the goal was....I thought his face was very familiar and must have seen him in the Champions's League or some foreign cup....then I realised, PSG!

That is some recruitment, he is still really good as clearly shown in the day.  I think Forest might start getting more clean sheets now.

I think you are doing Dean Henderson a disservice.. he's been brilliant...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I watched the Forest game and wondered who the goal was....I thought his face was very familiar and must have seen him in the Champions's League or some foreign cup....then I realised, PSG!

I think you are doing Dean Henderson a disservice.. he's been brilliant...
    I didn't say he isn't, but I also think Navas is a step up from Henderson.

TBH, not too bothered about Arsenal winning the PL - I'd rather them than (either of) the Mancs.

And for Spurs, much better to beat ManC than not.

Though beating ManC at home is getting a bit predictable now   :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The big winners this weekend were Man U, just 3 points behind City now! Also Spurs to a lesser extent as they are a bit further back. Arsenal must have played their get out of jail card having city lose as well.

Hat's off to Harry Kane. He can leave Spurs now he's done it (hopefully come to Man U ...)
    axisus said:
    The big winners this weekend were Man U, just 3 points behind City now! Also Spurs to a lesser extent as they are a bit further back. Arsenal must have played their get out of jail card having city lose as well.

Hat's off to Harry Kane. He can leave Spurs now he's done it (hopefully come to Man U ...)
    Chelsea needs a Striker...Monopoly money to them!
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

agree - 6 more goals to go level with Wayne, so maybe there by the end of Feb, certainly March - But at least 2 more years, maybe even 3, to match Alan S - But excluding any injuries, he should achieve that, be it with Spus or elsewhere - You do feel as though Man U is his best option right now - Can't seeing him moving to Arsenal (but you never know), or Man City, or Chelsea or indeed Liverpool - Doubt it would be Newcastle - I think he'll stay in England as he can then capture that leading PL scorer of all time 
    tFB Trader
    So Alan S is the leading PL gal scorer - Who is the leading top flight scorer, so the old Div 1 days - I could try Google, but just wonder if anyone knows - Stab in the dark for Dixie Deans, but did they have a long enough career back then ?
    So Alan S is the leading PL gal scorer - Who is the leading top flight scorer, so the old Div 1 days - I could try Google, but just wonder if anyone knows - Stab in the dark for Dixie Deans, but did they have a long enough career back then ?
    I'm not up on the old days at all but I'd have guessed Jimmy Greaves. I know that he scored an insane amount of goals. I heard his stats years ago and they seemed pretty amazing. He must have been gutted missing the World cup final.
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I'm not up on the old days at all but I'd have guessed Jimmy Greaves. I know that he scored an insane amount of goals. I heard his stats years ago and they seemed pretty amazing. He must have been gutted missing the World cup final.
    Okay - so I had to visit Google - But Jimmy Greaves top with 357 for Chelsea, Spurs, Hammers - Steve Bloomer (pre WW1) for Derby and Middlesborough with 314 and Dixie Deans with 310 for Everton - Only 3 with over 300 goals in the top flight league - Dixie scored a few more goals for Everton but they were in the 2nd tier - His goal average is far superior to anyone else .86 Dixie v .69 Gravies - The Don Bradman of strikers

You do feel as though Man U is his best option right now 
    If he wants baubles (as the uninformed bloggers and pressers assume) the he’d have left in his mid-20s.  At 30, he’s leaving it a bit late to collect many trophies.  But, if that were his driver, he should go to a team that’s dominant in its own league, with a decent shout in Europe, with the funds to persuade Levy to sell.

Realistically, Real Madrid or PSG.  

Moving within the PL for baubles is trickier.   ManC would have been the best bet (but looks unlikely this season, and if/when Pep goes, who knows), but they preferred to buy Grealish last season, and Haaaalaaand this season.

If he wants the PL scoring record, then he needs to be somewhere where he’s picked, week-in, week-out, where he’s going to score 25+ each season.  His game time is far more guaranteed at Spurs than anywhere else, and the team is designed around him - he’d not get that anywhere else.

So, objectively and rationally, moving doesn’t make sense.

I hope.