Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think Kane going to United would do amazing.

20 goals a season, on top of what they are building on now is a title challenging team.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I’m actually quite pleased to see Arsenal doing well this season.  And not just because they’re not ManC or Liverpool.  And not because I think Arteta is a great guy.

But because the Board gave him time, support - and cash - to build a good team playing decent football, rather than bottling it (and him) when they were struggling last season.

My hope is that he gets poached off to Spain soonish, else Arsenal could have another Wenger-like era ahead.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's done a great job in the time he's been there, I for one was sceptical on his appointment. I thought the job was far too big for him but he's remoulded the team and got it playing how he wants. I think all but 1 player (Xhaka and Gabriel) are either his signings or they've come through the youth academy setup. 

Seeing us get spanked 5-0 by City last season may have caused panic with the board sacking him. I doubt managers stick around more than 3-4 years these days, Klopp got 5 before he won the league with Liverpool I think? But in a world where we have wealthy owners or chairmen, who want instant success there's that pressure to deliver. And it makes it worse that alot of owners like the Glazers and the Kroenke's aren't really football fans, they're bankers/investors so greedy bastards who only want commercial success.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    scrumhalf said:
    Kane doesn't want to go abroad. He can't go to Chelsea or Arsenal, he's burned his boats with City, it's Utd or Newcastle. He won't win the league with either.

Tbh I think he could win the league with either - he is a huge player and imagine if Newcastle or Utd attracted a couple of other top players based on Kane's signing. Arsenal are proving this year that its not automatically City or Liverpool's title to win
    Sol Cambell left spurs to join the better club, so i dont see why boyhood Arsenal fan Harry wouldnt. Dont think he would improve Arsenal much though.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Kane doesn't want to go abroad. He can't go to Chelsea or Arsenal, he's burned his boats with City, it's Utd or Newcastle. He won't win the league with either.

Tbh I think he could win the league with either - he is a huge player and imagine if Newcastle or Utd attracted a couple of other top players based on Kane's signing. Arsenal are proving this year that its not automatically City or Liverpool's title to win
    Sol Cambell left spurs to join the better club, so i dont see why boyhood Arsenal fan Harry wouldnt. Dont think he would improve Arsenal much though.
    He's more of a natural finisher than Gabriel Jesus and has a proven Premier League goalscoring record than Nketiah (though there's a bit of an age gap). He can carry Eddie's kit around.
  • Trouble is with someone like Kane, the expectation would be for him to be the main man, a focal point. Changing a team's style to accommodate a big name like that would upset the whole balance of a side like Arsenal surely?
  • I didn't say I want him here was just hypothetically saying what could happen haha.
  • Perhaps having won all there is to win as a footballer (!!) he may fancy doing some philanthropic work and join the WestBrom revolution next season
  • What exactly has he won in his career lol
  • What exactly has he won in his career lol
    Well there was ... Oh no, wait, what about the.... Hang on, ahh yes the... No that's not it either.

He scored in a 2-0 win over West Brom in 2021, I'll give him that one
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I’m actually quite pleased to see Arsenal doing well this season.  And not just because they’re not ManC or Liverpool.  And not because I think Arteta is a great guy.

But because the Board gave him time, support - and cash - to build a good team playing decent football, rather than bottling it (and him) when they were struggling last season.

My hope is that he gets poached off to Spain soonish, else Arsenal could have another Wenger-like era ahead.
    Agree on the first 2 points - 2nd point was obviously crucial - A breath of fresh air as well - Not in the sense that we haven't seen Arsenal win before, but in recent years it has been a closed shop - And with NUFC and MUFC looking at getting in the CL places it is good that the PL doesn't become a one horse race - 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I think winning the league trumps the Europa league.  I actually take the league over Champion's League, unless your name is Pep.
    Absolutely! Champions league is great if you also won the league, but it's 'slightly' tarnished if you didn't win the league as far as I'm concerned. The League is harder.
  • Could it be possible that City win nowt this year?? When was the last time that happened??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    TTony said:

This, in spades.   It’s madness when managers aren’t given enough time.   I’ve always believed that they need at least two transfer windows to sort things out and offload players they don’t want and bring in the players that they do.  

I hope Potter is given more time at Chelsea - look at the crap that he’s inherited and expected to work with.  

Thomas Frank got two points from his first ten games at Brentford, even our own fans were singing “you’re getting sacked in the morning”, so if there’s a lesson in having a bit of patience with a new coach, then it’s right there.  
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    RobDavies said:
    TTony said:

This, in spades.   It’s madness when managers aren’t given enough time.   I’ve always believed that they need at least two transfer windows to sort things out and offload players they don’t want and bring in the players that they do.  

I hope Potter is given more time at Chelsea - look at the crap that he’s inherited and expected to work with.  

Thomas Frank got two points from his first ten games at Brentford, even our own fans were singing “you’re getting sacked in the morning”, so if there’s a lesson in having a bit of patience with a new coach, then it’s right there.  
    Also hope Potter is given time at Chelsea. I fear the worst for him though. 

Best thing Forest did this season was back  Cooper and give him a new contract. He’s the first manager since probably Frank Clark that properly “gets” the club, his position and everything it entails. He’s already given everything to the club and we, as a fanbase, have never waivered in our support of him because we could see what a special bloke he is. Even 4-0 down to Leicester earlier in the season, our away fans were singing Coopers name. 

So glad the board saw what we all see as we’ve continued to build from week to week and I still believe the best is to come. Build the statue for him now, says I. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    TTony said:

Best thing Forest did this season was back  Cooper and give him a new contract. He’s the first manager since probably Frank Clark that properly “gets” the club, his position and everything it entails. He’s already given everything to the club and we, as a fanbase, have never waivered in our support of him because we could see what a special bloke he is. Even 4-0 down to Leicester earlier in the season, our away fans were singing Coopers name. 

So glad the board saw what we all see as we’ve continued to build from week to week and I still believe the best is to come. Build the statue for him now, says I. 
    Yeah.  Fair play, Forest look to have turned a corner.     Cooper never endeared himself to Brentford fans with his antics/comments when he was Swansea manager but in spite of all that, we all know he’s good at his job. 

With Forest looking safer, who’s for the drop then?  I don’t want Bournemouth to go down because it’s a nice, local away trip for me but we played them on Saturday and won without getting out of second gear.  They’re easily the worst side we’ve played this season.  So for me, it’s Bournemouth plus two others…. Southampton are picking up…. I’m guessing you’d like to see Leicester struggle…. And I can’t stand Fat Lampard, so Everton going down would be hilarious - especially with their ridiculously deluded and entitled fan base. 
    I think Everton, Bournemouth, and Southampton will be the 3 to go down.  

I know Southampton had a good week, I just can't see Ward Prowse doing that every game.  Their forwards just don't get enough goals to win matches.
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    TTony said:

Yeah.  Fair play, Forest look to have turned a corner.     Cooper never endeared himself to Brentford fans with his antics/comments when he was Swansea manager but in spite of all that, we all know he’s good at his job. 

With Forest looking safer, who’s for the drop then?  I don’t want Bournemouth to go down because it’s a nice, local away trip for me but we played them on Saturday and won without getting out of second gear.  They’re easily the worst side we’ve played this season.  So for me, it’s Bournemouth plus two others…. Southampton are picking up…. I’m guessing you’d like to see Leicester struggle…. And I can’t stand Fat Lampard, so Everton going down would be hilarious - especially with their ridiculously deluded and entitled fan base. 
    Nathan Jones is a fraud, so I'm still not convinced 2 wins against a City Cup team and a terrible Everton side would constitute being "on the up". 

If it's not us (hopefully our form continues) - Bournemouth, Southampton and Everton would be my picks. Can't stand Bournemouth - tinpot club that should be nowhere near the football league - Nathan Jones is a goblin and as you said, it would be hilarious to see Everton go down. 

I've got no ill-will towards Leicester really and are generally likeable. They've tried to make a big thing about it being a local derby in recent times, but we really don't care about them at all.

We've got 4 massive games coming up;
    Bournemouth (A)
    Fulham (A)
    Leeds (H)
    Man City (H)

We *can* get 9 points from those 4 games. Even with our current injuries we should have enough to beat Bournemouth. Fulham have gone off the boil a little after their quick start and until we capitulated, we were in the game on the reverse fixture. Not played Leeds yet, but historically we batter them at home, so hopefully that trend continues :) 

City will be a free hit - I don't expect us to let in 6 like we did up at the Etihad but if we can get AT LEAST 7 points from those 12 (preferably beating Leeds and Bournemouth - as I think Fulham are too solid to fall anywhere near the relegation spots), I'd be happy. If we some how manage 4 more wins, it would all but secure our place next season unless we somehow free fall after that - but I know that's not how the premier league works, so would be a lot to ask to carry on the run of form we're on haha. 

I think if Forest get 6 points out of 

Bournemouth (A)
    Fulham (A)
    Leeds (H)
    Man City (H)

and you've done well.  My gut feeling is that you need to get at least 4, if you lose the 2 away games, draw against Leeds and home and lose to City....that would be my expectation a month ago.  I think 9 is overly optimistic, that require winning at Fulham.  Which is one of the hardest places to go to at the moment.

I agree that Southampton will go down, the body language when Forest played them a week and a half ago told me that they had given up, and they only lost 1-0.  They beat a City reserve side and JWP had 1 a stormer game is not a corner turned.

Everton....they are just terrible, can't defend, can't score.  
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537

Possibly the worst Everton team I have had the Displeasure of watching
    Don’t think FFL is the problem there, but I also do not think he is the solution either, no drive, no anger just nothing seems to come from him. Everton playing 5 at the back against Southampton is shocking. DCL is crap, half a decent season under Ancelotti and he had Sigurdsson and James setting him up, that’s it, that’s all we have ever got from him. Gueye was a cracking player first time round, now looks off the pace, McNeil is just pish, Maupay is the same. It’s a team devoid of Leadership ( and shouldn’t be with Tarkowski and Coady at the back ) and drive. 

Onana And Paterson look decent prospects , Gordon can just get in the bin, believed his own hype last year and now looks more interested in dressing up and dying his hair, should have taken the money Chelsea offered last season. 

• If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

Would be bad news for my team West Brom though, that's would be massive to compete against when our parachute payments run out this summer
    I think if Forest get 6 points out of 

Bournemouth (A)
    Fulham (A)
    Leeds (H)
    Man City (H)

and you've done well.  My gut feeling is that you need to get at least 4, if you lose the 2 away games, draw against Leeds and home and lose to City....that would be my expectation a month ago.  I think 9 is overly optimistic, that require winning at Fulham.  Which is one of the hardest places to go to at the moment.

I agree that Southampton will go down, the body language when Forest played them a week and a half ago told me that they had given up, and they only lost 1-0.  They beat a City reserve side and JWP had 1 a stormer game is not a corner turned.

Everton....they are just terrible, can't defend, can't score.  
    Yea, I'm optimistic by nature :) In reality 6 points from those 4 would be great. I fancy us against anyone (except maybe City haha) at home on our day. 

Our away form has been pitiful, but our performances are improving week on week. If we get a few of our sick notes back before Fulham (Dean Henderson and Willy Boly particularly) - I'd fancy us to get something from Fulham, but they've blossomed into a really well drilled side (and it's great to see them doing so well tbh).

We're certainly not out of the woods yet, but half the theoritical points required for survival achieved at the halfway point, with the dismal start we endured, is as much as we could have asked for I think! 
  • I sadly think that my Cherries will be relegated - we seem totally lacking energy and our defense is in shambles. 

For your comment however, I'll make my way to Kings Park on Saturday and hopefully watch us taking precious points from you ;)
    joneve said:

Can't stand Bournemouth - tinpot club that should be nowhere near football league.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I sadly think that my Cherries will be relegated - we seem totally lacking energy and our defense is in shambles. 

For your comment however, I'll make my way to Kings Park on Saturday and hopefully watch us taking precious points from you ;)
    joneve said:

Can't stand Bournemouth - tinpot club that should be nowhere near football league.
    haha! I'm just still bitter about you calling our fixture off last season because of a bit of wind, when you, conveniently, were ravaged with injuries....Only for it to be rescheduled when you'd returned to full strength. Turns out it didn't matter in the end, but I believe we'd have snuck up automatically had we played the original date as we were absolutely on the top of our game. 

It's mostly Kieffer Moore I can't stand to be fair. :D 

We definitely owe you one after the shambles back in September...hopefully we can do the job on the south coast for the second time in 3 weeks. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

Would be bad news for my team West Brom though, that's would be massive to compete against when our parachute payments run out this summer
    I think I'm right in saying that the English League is the only one with a parachute payment - I don't think it should be there - I know it was brought in to help the 'relegation' clubs through 'troubled waters' with potential big wages and various long term contracts - But clubs in the past have used it to buy more players to help them get straight back up again, which is not fair on existing EFL clubs 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Staying out me man's way if the toffees go down - she would FUME!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • joneve said:
    I sadly think that my Cherries will be relegated - we seem totally lacking energy and our defense is in shambles. 

joneve said:

haha! I'm just still bitter about you calling our fixture off last season because of a bit of wind, when you, conveniently, were ravaged with injuries....Only for it to be rescheduled when you'd returned to full strength. Turns out it didn't matter in the end, but I believe we'd have snuck up automatically had we played the original date as we were absolutely on the top of our game. 

It's mostly Kieffer Moore I can't stand to be fair. :D 

We definitely owe you one after the shambles back in September...hopefully we can do the job on the south coast for the second time in 3 weeks. 
    Cmon - it's windy here in the south ;)

Moore doesn't seem to be much of a threat nowadays :-1:  hope it's going to be a good one and it stays sunny! 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    If Everton get relegated that will make the championship interesting with a club of that size, don't think there's been a club of that size since Newcastle came down?

Some positive results lately have given me a glimmer that we might go up. The weekend especially. There are a few sides in similar form so it'll have to be via the playoffs I think. At least we're going for it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Betting suspended on Moyes being sacked. Benitez appears to be the favourite to replace him if he does get sacked. I've no idea what to think about all of it today.

West Ham vs Everton on Saturday will be interesting, especially if both managers are still in post. If West Ham win we will possibly cause Frank to get the sack, which will delight many of our fans. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Betting suspended on Moyes being sacked. Benitez appears to be the favourite to replace him if he does get sacked. I've no idea what to think about all of it today.

West Ham vs Everton on Saturday will be interesting, especially if both managers are still in post. If West Ham win we will possibly cause Frank to get the sack, which will delight many of our fans. 
    Might just end up swapping managers for maximum fume all round
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!