Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Forest really fucked my Fantasy Football this week so thanks! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Forest really fucked my Fantasy Football this week so thanks! 
    Pep deciding to put Ake on in the 89th minute fucked mine, first sun was Ward Prowse

89th fucking minute !!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Good win for Everton today. How Seamus Coleman scored from ‘there’ ....... 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Good win for Everton today. How Seamus Coleman scored from ‘there’ ....... 
    Bad goal keeping - I think they can start to write the cheque soon for ballon payment - Not looking good for us 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Nice one Forest! 
    Executed the game plan perfectly! Absorb the pressure and take your chance when it comes! Unbelievable result. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joneve said:
    Nice one Forest! 
    Executed the game plan perfectly! Absorb the pressure and take your chance when it comes! Unbelievable result. 
    I just watched MotD highlights, how City didn't score more is beyond me! The luckiest of days for Forest but I'm so happy as it is better for the title race. Come on Man U, we NEED a win today ....
    axisus said:
    joneve said:
    Nice one Forest! 
    I just watched MotD highlights, how City didn't score more is beyond me! The luckiest of days for Forest but I'm so happy as it is better for the title race. Come on Man U, we NEED a win today ....
    You make your own luck :) pressured City for their chances which forced the errors. Haaland was clearly rattled, which likely caused him to somehow miss 3 times from 6 yards but didn’t have another chance all game that I can remember. 

tactical masterclass in defending and took our chance (with an unbelievably worked team goal) when it came. Shots on goal and expected goals means nothing if you don’t do anything with it. :) 

(you’re welcome by the way haha)
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited February 2023
    Awesome stuff by Forest, great result. Praying for an Arsenal title win, City do me head in a lot.

Boro closing in on the Blades in second... Surely we can't get the last automatic place can we?!!

Interesting stat the other day was that Carrick has the most points of any Boro manager in the first 16 games I think it was. More than Robbo, McLaren, or Jack Charlton who I'd consider our previous best managers. Pretty much the core of players we had previously too, have Man U missed a trick in not keeping him in the staff?

P.s. Sorry Mark, but Boro in the automatic places and Leeds heading down would be a result ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    Awesome stuff by Forest, great result. Praying for an Arsenal title win, City do me head in a lot.

Boro closing in on the Blades in second... Surely we can't get the last automatic place can we?!!

Interesting stat the other day was that Carrick has the most points of any Boro manager in the first 16 games I think it was. More than Robbo, McLaren, or Jack Charlton who I'd consider our previous best managers. Pretty much the core of players we had previously too, have Man U missed a trick in not keeping him in the staff?

P.s. Sorry Mark, but Boro in the automatic places and Leeds heading down would be a result ;)
    I would love nothing more than for Boro to get the second spot ahead of the Blades. Heckinbottom is easily the least likeable manager in the football league and I can’t stand some of the United players. 

Carrick is doing what Cooper did last season, enjoy the ride! 
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:

My near neighbour is a Sheff U fan so he is hoping we by-pass each other - And of course local to me are a bunch of sheep shaggers who want to see Derby up and Leeds and/or Forest down - I'll live with it - I've known worse and better - The plus point is it will probably be easier to get tickets for some home matches in the EFL then now - It is embarrassing that the owners are leading us this way - Will be interesting to see what fight we have over the next 2/3 months - Financially we are in a strong position so no issues on that score
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    edited February 2023
    Great to see my Fulham smash-and-grab a win yesterday at Brighton. They'll finish above us but we're going well for a team everyone had written off before a ball was kicked. I suppose winning an apparently rubbish Championship doesn't mean much :)

We might be Mitrovic FC but he's not done much since he went to the WC, and we're still managing to score. I thought Willian and Pereira would be dodgy signings at best, but they've both been brilliant, along with Palhinha. Leno has been worth a few points over this season as well.

Bring on next season when our best players clear off to Spurs/Man Utd (or probably Chelsea now) like they normally do and we endure a long season chasing 40 points.

Spare a thought for Fabio Carvalho who is now warming the bench for a mid-table club

• I thought we might slip up against Leicester today, but a good performance apparently.
    Leicester had chances and were better than the scoreline suggests.

Big week for United now, Barcelona on Thursday then Newcastle on Sunday in the League cup.
    Form is good and Casemiro is back, so relatively confident for both.  Just hope Thursday doesn’t go to extra time!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    nice little 2-0  there................  much needed
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited February 2023
    bertie said:
    True.

But it was only West Ham.
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Boromedic said:

My near neighbour is a Sheff U fan so he is hoping we by-pass each other - And of course local to me are a bunch of sheep shaggers who want to see Derby up and Leeds and/or Forest down - I'll live with it - I've known worse and better - The plus point is it will probably be easier to get tickets for some home matches in the EFL then now - It is embarrassing that the owners are leading us this way - Will be interesting to see what fight we have over the next 2/3 months - Financially we are in a strong position so no issues on that score
    Glad to hear that you're okay from a financial perspective. The shaggers are always moaning, hopefully they'll stay in the lower leagues :)

I'm guessing Leeds will be like us and a few others for a while, yo-yoing between the Champ and Prem every now and then. I think for us that's kind of where we are from a finance and crowd size etc. point of view. Given the size of the top clubs it's not a surprise really. 

Let's see how it pans out I guess, I'm glad you made it into the top flight again, and I'm sure if the worst happens you'll be back soon enough. We're still stuck in the playoff lottery anyway as yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

I thought we might slip up against Leicester today, but a good performance apparently.
    Leicester had chances and were better than the scoreline suggests.

Big week for United now, Barcelona on Thursday then Newcastle on Sunday in the League cup.
    Form is good and Casemiro is back, so relatively confident for both.  Just hope Thursday doesn’t go to extra time!
    MoTD it was all Leicester early on, superb saves from de Gea. I'd agree with many others that Man U are in the title race, but the day we drop points on the top two we are probably out. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    For the first 5mins, Man United had all the possession pretty much but then for 15mins it was all Leicester, they cut Man United apart pretty much every time they went forward with 2 clear cut chances (both were on MOTD).  Then Marcus went and scored that one pretty much out of nowhere, like a sucker punch then after that Leicester posed no threat and it was all United.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    should Rashford not have been booked for diving ?   the Leicester player clearly took the ball,  then Rashford tripped over his own feet 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited February 2023
    bertie said:
    should Rashford not have been booked for diving ?   the Leicester player clearly took the ball,  then Rashford tripped over his own feet 
    ??? Tripping over your own feet isn't a dive???

In all fairness Sabitzer probably should have got sent off
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    bertie said:
    True.

Hard to know why that wasn't a penalty, around the 12th min - Hand ball in the box - Again it would be given outside the box, so why is that 18 yard box so sacred - Looked like a movement, even if slight, towards the ball, granted more by instinct than deliberate - But still hand ball IMO
  • TTony said:
    bertie said:
    True.

Don't worry mate, end of the season you'll have won diddly squat just like us. :lol: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Well that looks like Liverpool's season is now over - Other than some hope and a fight for that 4th CL place - But it was a corker of a game to watch
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    bertie said:
    True.

Don't worry mate, end of the season you'll have won diddly squat just like us. :lol: 
    your replied made me smile - I gave it a lol but equally it could be a wiz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bloody hell, that was some tonking for Liverpool! Embarrassing. I got out of the car to see my dad and they were 2-0 up in 14 mins. Couldn't believe that when I left it was 2-5! 

Seriously though, I hope that Real never win the Champions league again, they have way too many.
  • It was a strange game. Lots of silly goals. Without mistakes, deflections it would be what, 1-3. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    It was a strange game. Lots of silly goals. Without mistakes, deflections it would be what, 1-3. 
    How on earth do you work this out? 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    It was a strange game. Lots of silly goals. Without mistakes, deflections it would be what, 1-3. 
    1 each for the goal keeping errors and Benzema' shot was poor and even I'd have saved it - But the deflection beat the keeper - So 5-2 becomes 3-1 - But 5-2 is all that matters 
    tony99 said:
    1 each for the goal keeping errors and Benzema' shot was poor and even I'd have saved it - But the deflection beat the keeper - So 5-2 becomes 3-1 - But 5-2 is all that matters 
    Can't see how a team could let 3 goals in without making any mistakes. 

It'd make more sense to say "without the goals it would have been nil nil"
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

By: A. watching the game and B. Counting. Silly mistakes and out of character goalkeeping errors, that would never occur to one of those goalkeepers let alone both in the same match cost each side goals, and the unforced errors resulted in a much higher scoring game than it would have otherwise been. Yes, what happened happened but in reality the score line is somewhat skewered by extreme irregularities.

Two world class keeper's making completely out of character mistakes is not the same as a defender mistiming a tackle or letting a ball run on to the attacker. And it's just an observation on the freak nature of that game, which if you watched you'd know it was. No need to overthink it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

By: A. watching the game and B. Counting. Silly mistakes and out of character goalkeeping errors, that would never occur to one of those goalkeepers let alone both in the same match cost each side goals, and the unforced errors resulted in a much higher scoring game than it would have otherwise been. Yes, what happened happened but in reality the score line is somewhat skewered by extreme irregularities.

Two world class keeper's making completely out of character mistakes is not the same as a defender mistiming a tackle or letting a ball run on to the attacker. And it's just an observation on the freak nature of that game, which if you watched you'd know it was. No need to overthink it.
    Actually sounds like you've overthought it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter