Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• To be fair to Tommy Fury, there was a huge amount of pressure on this one, first proper boxer to face Paul and the Fury name. Pretty sure Paul only wanted to fight him due to his name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It was a fight of mediocre quality, and glaring mistakes, but it was entertaining to say the least and I'm glad Fury won because Jake Paul is awful.

It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    As a West Ham fan it must be reassuring to know you find that prospect entertaining :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Was the Badou Jack fight any good?
  • munckee said:
    Was the Badou Jack fight any good?
    He boxed really well , loads of side to side movement, hitting and moving  and showed the champion up a bit tbh.  He’s not a huge puncher but connected with loads of straight rights and body shots that had a cumulative effect.

• It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    As a West Ham fan it must be reassuring to know you find that prospect entertaining :-)
    Bit of a low blow there mate, bloody hell lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fury did the job, although I thought he'll outbox him significantly. Paul looked flat indeed and didn't present cardio as good as vs Silva. Different kind of fight though...
    Not a great fight to watch and lots of clinching. 
    Fury by split decision and immediate rematch was my prediction so I wasn't surprised by how it went.
  • As others have said, a pretty poor fight. The ref wasn't great either. Fury clearly showed the better boxing skills and deserved to win, but he was far too easily caught and his guard was lacking. He didn't seem to have the ability to change what he was doing wrong and adapt to Paul's very basic style either. I'm glad Paul lost - he's a monumental a55hole - but the fight did little to commend boxing to the casual viewer. Paul has called out Canelo at times, which is laughable. Mind you, I would love to be ringside if that 'fight' ever happened. Just to see the shock on Paul's face as realisation kicked in just before his lights went out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    I didn’t watch it - certainly wouldn’t pay for it. 

I note Mayweather also had a move around with an MMA bloke this weekend in a largely empty arena. 

I hope the celebrity/exhibition stuff gradually fades away.

I know Paul has been training well and obviously Fury is a pro albeit a green one but these things aren’t the best adverts for the sport.

Much better fights in Feb that don’t get talked about - Yarde had a great effort against Beterbiev but came up short and more recently Lee Wood put in some great work against Mauricio Lara before his corner threw in the towel; a decision that was debatable but ultimately Ben Davison made the right call in my mind. 

All that said, I’ve cancelled my DAZN subscription and only have Sky sports mobile so not sure how much boxing I’ll get to see from now on. 
  • >Much better fights in Feb...

Absolutely. I thought Yarde did really well, much better than many others. Until the inevitable happened. At times, he clearly rocked Beterbiev. Agree about the Wood-Lara bout. Benavidez vs Plant next month has the potential to be interesting. Very different styles, but both excellent in their own way.
    So Fury vs Usyk is on. That’s Joyce v Zhang, Joshua v Franklin and now this all within a few weeks. 

Id actually give Joshua a better chance against Fury than Usyk but Usyk can win.  The other two look fairly even also.  

Who’s winning these then?
    Joyce, Joshua and head says Fury but heart says Usyk.

Obviously we only see a limited profile of Usyk in the British media but he seems to have 100 times more integrity than the walking contradiction that is Fury.

Let’s not forget for all the good he’s done, he’s a drug cheat and talks absolute bollocks. Whilst I don’t doubt his low periods - he definitely over-eggs the pudding and it’s a convenient story in a period of his life that is otherwise reputationally damaging. Not that he has the physique of a man who takes PEDs - but it was in his system. 

His 70/30 purse split offer is insulting considering Usyk has 3 of the belts, especially when he regularly rolls out the narrative that he’s already got more wealth than he needs - he’s a fighting man who’ll fight for free etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Yeah i agree. I hope usyk schools him in the sweet art. But brain says fury is just to big, clever and does have a good chin. So its going to be a distance job, or fury wears him down mid to late round and kos him late. Do think usyk does have the cleverness and psychological play to beat fury though. Its a good fight, but fury will go down as insulting on this one. Used to like his antics, but different this time. I know the war shouldnt be involved, but think usyk might just be the better mentally prepared on many levels.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    I hope Joyce wins I like him. He doesn’t have the skills to beat the best but he can outlast most. 

Joshua I don’t know, his confidence has gone, I’m not sure why he keeps fighting tbh. 

I think Joshua hurt usyk in both fights but couldnt get close enough to follow it up. I think Fury will lean, spoil and ultimately may well catch him. Usyk best fighter he has ever faced. 

I agree Fury had not covered himself in glory, he turned down a winner takes 60 split and insisted fight only happens with him taking 70.  
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    I too hope that Joyce wins. Seems like a decent bloke and his ability to take a punch, whilst worrying for his long term health, is like no-one else. He's been outclassed by more skilful opponents, only to wear them down and pound them into submission when their punches just bounce off him. His style certainly isn't pretty, but it's clearly effective. 

Not sure about Joshua. I've never rated him as highly as many people seem to. He was blowing heavily against a 41 year old Klitschko before he managed to stop him. He should have been in his prime at 27. He has the physical power, possibly too pumped up, but he's ultimately a bit predictable and wooden. Not in the way Joyce is, but he certainly lacks Joyce's chin. Franklin is ok, but not great, so if Joshua gets his head together and trains hard, he should win.

Fury-Usyk is intriguing. Fury has been troubled by smaller men in the past, but they've tended to be big punchers and natural heavyweights. None had Usyk's ability though. I rate Usyk as the best Cruiserweight of all time, even better than Holyfield. His ring IQ is up there with the very best, as is his skill and athleticism. That said, he's inevitably become slower as he moved up in weight. Fury has an amazing engine for a huge man and is awkward, twitchy, extremely canny, using his bulk and reach to his advantage. I would dearly love Usyk to win (he's one of my favourite boxers), but I can see Fury leaning that heavy frame on him if they get close and eventually tiring him enough to catch him. Head says Fury catches him late on. Heart says Usyk manages to evade Fury for the whole fight using his skill and his own excellent engine (whilst still scoring), and takes it on points.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited March 2023
    It's still not signed and I think there is every chance Usyk v Fury falls apart, Fury does like to cherry pick his opponents and Usyk is a live and very, very good boxer who may just be too slippery to be leant on and mauled all night.

I like Joyce, just a non stop force moving almost in slow motion but fun to watch.

I also like Joshua and good luck to him, he has fought great names over and over and fell short against Usyk but still went for the rematch.....
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Really good interview here with Joe Egan (Mike Tyson sparring partner, Irish Heavyweight champion). Worth 30 mins of anyone's time who loves the sport.

Thanks will watch that.

AJ fight tonight free to view to DAZN subscribers, I was going to book it as advertised at £9.99 per month, that is only if you sign up for 12 months otherwise its £19.99 per month if you want to be able to cancel - anyone subscribed I don't mind paying twenty quid if I can cancel tomorrow, it takes a month to cancel by which time I have to pay another £19.99 I'm less interested, anyone done it?

As tonight for the division I hope AJ blasts franklin out convincingly but AJs killer instinct seems to have gone.  
    edited April 2023
    I had the same conundrum today, 30 days notice on the £19.99 - as you say I didn’t fancy it rolling over into another payment. 

In the end I just bit the bullet and signed up for 12 months at £99.99.

My justification is I’d want to see the Ryder v Canelo fight and Taylor next month so that’d be £40. 

Matchroom have just signed Sunny Edwards so looking forward to seeing him now on DAZN. 

I also feel that DAZN have to up their game this year so hoping for some VFM from the fee. I previously subscribed at £7.99 a month so £8.33 or whatever is comparable. 

Will canelo and Taylor fights be within the normal subscription?
    munckee said:
    Yes Canelo PPV in the US but not UK. 
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    Yes Canelo PPV in the US but not UK. 
    Where we know who John Ryder is : )
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    munckee said:
    So Fury vs Usyk is on. That’s Joyce v Zhang, Joshua v Franklin and now this all within a few weeks. 

Id actually give Joshua a better chance against Fury than Usyk but Usyk can win.  The other two look fairly even also.  

Who’s winning these then?
    Usyk has the best chance of all of them at beating Fury. I give Joshua little to no chance of beating Fury. It doesn't matter anyway, Fury looks like he's ducking Usyk like he did AJ.

I think Fury is the best out there but AJ really had the heart of a champion. Fought everyone, won't give up. 
    munckee said:
    I like Ryder - he was unlucky, no robbed, when he didn’t get the nod and take Smith’s title. I hope he is getting a big pay day. 

Can he beat Canelo? I doubt it, but you never know!

stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    I like Ryder - he was unlucky, no robbed, when he didn’t get the nod and take Smith’s title. I hope he is getting a big pay day. 

I thought it was very close with Smith but I wouldn't have seen that as a robbery either way.  Ryder will give anybody a decent fight but he's pretty much lost every time he's stepped up a level except Jacobs and Cox.  I don't expect him to see the final bell against canelo.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Hmm.  Not the best fight, Joshua the clear winner but not as convincing as I thought he would be.  Got the job done I suppose.
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:

I thought it was very close with Smith but I wouldn't have seen that as a robbery either way.  Ryder will give anybody a decent fight but he's pretty much lost every time he's stepped up a level except Jacobs and Cox.  I don't expect him to see the final bell against canelo.
    It’s been a few years but my memory of it was a bad decision and the UD cards were a bit of joke.

Quite a lacklustre event tonight; the spoiling and holding from Franklin was effective in stopping AJ from working in what was boring fight for the spectator. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited April 2023
    Sorry to any AJ fans but he really is Bruno mkII .

Doesn't make him a bad fighter but the hype machine behind him is totally unjustified . He has earned a fortune for himself and his backers though and that’s the name of the game nowadays.

The stupid Dazn commentator last night must have been in on it too as time after time he’d scream ‘fantastic/stunning right hand from Joshua’ but I can’t remember one right hand that he threw that he fully committed too- he was so worried about the counter that they were almost arm punches.

His jab worked well at times but you are much less lightly to get caught with a big counter throwing a jab so he was more confident with stepping into those shots.

He seems a decent enough bloke but if he was American I honestly don’t think he would have got a title shot or made anywhere near the money he had because he would have been found out domestically 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

The stupid Dazn commentator last night must have been in on it too as time after time he’d scream ‘fantastic/stunning right hand from Joshua’ but I can’t remember one right hand that he threw that he fully committed too- he was so worried about the counter that they were almost arm punches.

He looks like he’s lost what got him to the top in the first place.  He boxes with fear now like he’s been rocked, but he must protect his fragile career, one more loss and he’s finished.  I don’t think you can fight like that at the top.

Not sure where he goes from here, Wilder or Fury are the obvious options but I don’t see him winning those fights.

Everybody wants to see Fury vs Uysk but I think Fury vs Joshua could be a massive pay day and the fight that might now be pushed.  Would be a massive upset if he beats Fury but there’s no way he will fighting like he has in the last few fights.  
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    He looks like he’s lost what got him to the top in the first place.  He boxes with fear now like he’s been rocked, but he must protect his fragile career, one more loss and he’s finished.  I don’t think you can fight like that at the top.

Not sure where he goes from here, Wilder or Fury are the obvious options but I don’t see him winning those fights.

Everybody wants to see Fury vs Uysk but I think Fury vs Joshua could be a massive pay day and the fight that might now be pushed.  Would be a massive upset if he beats Fury but there’s no way he will fighting like he has in the last few fights.  
    I wouldn't say Fury is an obvious option for AJ. Wilder yes, but Fury should only be fighting contenders and other champions to unify the division. AJ isn't near that level now and only should fight him if he becomes a contender. If they want to do a British extravaganza then that may make sense, but I don't think anyone seriously sees that fight as anything but a Fury win now so what's the point? But as we saw with the third Chisora fight, we know Fury will do the pointless for a payday.