Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
Thought I would start a general boxing thread as we tend to have one for each fight that crops up.  

First point was really just  hats off to manny pacquiao.  Yes he went on too long but his wins list is ridiculous including Morales, JMMarquez, Diaz, Barrera, De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley, Bradley and Thurman.

Was out of his depth a little against Mayweather but so is everyone pretty much.  One of the all time greats for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    edited September 2021
    There were a few over the years.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131327/

And fully agree on Manny
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    edited September 2021
    Anyone subscribe to DAZN? I’ve enjoyed the £1.99 subscription for about a year. It’s going up next month to £7.99. If Eddie makes good fights I’ll keep it going. If he doesn’t then…

Smith v Fowler on 9th Oct - has Cheeseman and a few others on the undercard. A couple of women’s bouts as well…I guess that’s a whole discussion in itself. 

I doubt I’ll be staying up for the Fury fight on the Sunday morning. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    This report looks like there may be hard questions about the Rio Olympics:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58747880

Outcomes of matches "manipulated" by referees and judges!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    stevebrum said:
    Anyone subscribe to DAZN? I’ve enjoyed the £1.99 subscription for about a year. It’s going up next month to £7.99. If Eddie makes good fights I’ll keep it going. If he doesn’t then…

Smith v Fowler on 9th Oct - has Cheeseman and a few others on the undercard. A couple of women’s bouts as well…I guess that’s a whole discussion in itself. 

I doubt I’ll be staying up for the Fury fight on the Sunday morning. 

I’m still paying sky sports at the moment. I keep toying with canceling it and getting BT sport or boxnation or dazn. Working out where the best fights will be when the dust settles. 
    All the media attention on Fury currently but there’s a good card tonight in Liverpool as mentioned above. Smith beats Metcalf for me, as his trainer put it so eloquently “if you go to the chippy you have to wait your turn, Fowler’s jumped the queue”.  
    stevebrum said:
    All the media attention on Fury currently but there’s a good card tonight in Liverpool as mentioned above. Smith beats Metcalf for me, as his trainer put it so eloquently “if you go to the chippy you have to wait your turn, Fowler’s jumped the queue”.  
    It’s a really good match up. No harm to Fowlers career losing to Smith but a real big scalp if he wins. 

Smith on paper to win but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets old during the fight and Fowler has met him at the right time. 
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    It’s a really good match up. No harm to Fowlers career losing to Smith but a real big scalp if he wins. 

Smith on paper to win but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets old during the fight and Fowler has met him at the right time. 
    Yeah it’s a great opportunity for Fowler and of course it could go either way, but I’m drawn into Smith’s confidence and experience. 

Always look forward to a Cheeseman fight and there’s some other decent bouts. 
    Well Smith did the business and sounds like Cheeseman was in another war. I haven’t seen the fights yet but sounds like a good card. 
    edited November 2021
    Wasn’t sure whether to put this in the new KO thread. 

Kid Galahad - pundits saying failure to make weight impacting his punch resistance and recovery ability. 

Definitely saved by the bell after the first one and clearly not recovered coming out for the next round.
    Should never have been sent back out for round 6. The American press boxing pundits saying he’ll never be the same after knockouts like that. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Missed it last night but that KO was definitely a heavy one.

Looking forward to Eubank Jnr v Williams beginning of next month, could/should be a cracker
    munckee said:
    Should never have been sent back out for round 6. The American press boxing pundits saying he’ll never be the same after knockouts like that. 
    Definitely - with hindsight of course. In the moment though his corner must have thought he could weather the storm. 
    It’s a big call to give up a world championship. I don’t remember someone getting knocked out first punch of a round. 
    Watched Crawford vs Porter this morning and thought Porter seemed fine but his dad stopped it. Crawford looked good late on but takes so long to get going. Really good quality fight. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    munckee said:
    Watched Crawford vs Porter this morning and thought Porter seemed fine but his dad stopped it. Crawford looked good late on but takes so long to get going. Really good quality fight. 
    Watched rounds 9 & 10 this afternoon thanks to Sky Sports on YouTube having the fight for free.  
    Think it was a matter of time before Porter got KO’d, but agree that if it wasn’t his Dad in the corner then it would have continued.
    Apparently Porter announced his retirement after the fight in the press conference.
    I didn’t see it - I’ll catch it on YouTube this week. Being a father in the corner must be a difficult job. I did see a post fight interview and he was absolutely convinced he made the right decision.
    I suspect his dad knows him best.  Porter is like ricky hatton but with better head movement, he is an attrition fighter and has had some pretty tough fights with fighters at least as good as him, there were also rumours he took a beating in sparring.  The cars were all just in favour of Crawford so probably the right decision.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Winnie and Wilf are most upset
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Teófimo López vs. George Kambosos Jr from last night is well worth seeking out. 

I won’t spoil it…
    Wow the Taylor Catterrall result is up there with Lewis Holyfield and canelo GGG for robberies. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I can’t see any method of scoring that could give it to Taylor 114 - 111. 

Embarrassing - you can’t blame Taylor of course but in the post fight interview he said he landed the better quality shots and came on strong. He got put down in the second half of the fight FFS.

It was messy with all the holding and clinching as well by both and not the best fight.  
  • Not a great fight. Scrappy and neither fighter really demonstrated their considerable talents, but how Catterall is not champion now is beyond me.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    From what I’ve read it seems like it was a huge robbery. 
    Adam Smith (Sky Sports) sounded disgusted with the judges scorecards
    So Fury vs Whyte and lickle Fury fighting someone who has actually won a fight.  I agree with the pundits that Fury wins but I think will be a lot closer than people suggest and he may well have to get up off the canvas again to win it.

I predict Fury r9 by KO.

Have bit the bullet and paid for it, anyone else watching it?
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Yip I'll be watching but only the main event, shocking undercard, it's about time Fury fought someone who's actually good and I'm hoping for a Whyte win, he deserves it and think he has it in him.
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    stevebrum said:

Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:

I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:

Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:

I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
    Not sure Kell Brook will fight again tbh. Retiring would be sensible IMO. Nothing to prove to anyone and he is getting on a bit. 

Fury - I think he'll wallop Whyte. Whyte isn't that good, let's not kid ourselves. CBA staying up to watch that.