Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Joshua could fight him ten times and wouldn’t win. Not very classy at the end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    munckee said:
    One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
    Should have his license revoked. English or not there’s no place for judging that bad. Boxing still riddled with it 
    It’s an ongoing problem with judges from all over the world.  

One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    It was a USA judge who gave the fight to Joshua. Steve Gray (English judge) scored the fight 115-113 Usyk which is there or there abouts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:
    Joshua could fight him ten times and wouldn’t win. Not very classy at the end. 
    Embarrassing turn of events. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1257
    what did i witness at the end ! where were his corner men ? Hearn? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    When Anthony Joshua started holding the mic above his head like Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, I was just thinking Robert Downey Jr.'s 'Tropic Thunder' line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Someone best check on AJ 
    seems his brain my brain damaged after being punched in the face for 36 mins 

that was horrendously cringy
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

I turned it off when AJ got on the mic at the end, it was terrible.

A pity, because he’d given a much better account of himself.  Super disciplined, great body shots, no gassing out.  Ultimately Usyk’s head movement and counter punching was too good for AJ, but after restoring some pride he pissed it away on the mic.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2022
    I think he regained some of it in the post fight interview.

You can imagine the adrenaline, the disappointment, the impact of a fight with a lot of head trauma can lead to poor decisions like this. He didn't seem to know what he was trying to say. He initially threw the belts out the ring, told Usyk 'You think YOU beat ME???' and then spent a few minutes praising him, but himself but not, but everyone else? Definitely signs of being concussed. 

He fought well, he can be proud of himself. But he'll never be a world champion again while Usyk and Fury are still fighting. In a way, considering the age of all of them, this golden age is coming to an end and Wilder was the first one to go and AJ is the second one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited August 2022
    Just listened to 5live boxing, Steve Bunce at ringside had it in AJ's favour by a round!

Feel a bit for Joshua, the frustration, knowing that you cannot beat someone has got to hurt like anything especially for a professional athlete. Interesting to see how the HW scene develops now.

Only a matter of time before Fury demands attention.........oh wait he's already piped up!

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    edited August 2022
    His corner were telling him that he was winning, and it's not like he was getting knocked down continually or anything so I can understand why after 36 minutes of being punched in the head he might have been under the false impression he was going to win.

I thought there was a clear 2 sections to the post fight stuff. At first he was kicking off, but then I thought he realised it wasn't going down well so switched to trying to take the Ukrainian flag and praise Usyk. I'm not going to watch again to verify though because it was too cringe.
  • The irony of an out skilled AJ losing it with Usyk and saying this to him.

"I don't care about strong, I care about skills," 

"Being strong doesn’t win boxing … skills win boxing.

"You’re not strong, how did you beat me? I got skilled. I’ve had character and determination."

Clearly got punched in the head too much!

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    The irony of an out skilled AJ losing it with Usyk and saying this to him.

"I don't care about strong, I care about skills," 

"Being strong doesn’t win boxing … skills win boxing.

"You’re not strong, how did you beat me? I got skilled. I’ve had character and determination."

"I had class....I coulda been somebody...."
    tae be or not tae be
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    If I were AJ I'd pack up now. He's achieved everything he could have. Pack it in, health intact, good record, plenty of money.
    What is in front of him now is a steady decline, second grade fights against has beens who are trying to regain former glories.

I hop Usyk:Fury goes ahead. That would be a cracker, and a perfect send off for Fury ( think he'd walk through Usyk).
    Snap said:
    If I were AJ I'd pack up now. He's achieved everything he could have. Pack it in, health intact, good record, plenty of money.
    What is in front of him now is a steady decline, second grade fights against has beens who are trying to regain former glories.

I hop Usyk:Fury goes ahead. That would be a cracker, and a perfect send off for Fury ( think he'd walk through Usyk).
    I think he'd be fine walking away now, but he has been knocked down a few times but hasn't had punishment like a lot of heavyweights.  He could do a couple of years of whyte rematches and chisora and the like and wait for the next champ to have a crack at, or fight fury if fury beats Usyk.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    That's the thing about Fury one/two/hold.....one/two/hold

These two guys the other night stood apart and fought the full fight.

I'd soon get fed up with a Fury/Usyk fight in the one/two/hold style
    tae be or not tae be
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Hootsmon said:
    That's the thing about Fury one/two/hold.....one/two/hold

These two guys the other night stood apart and fought the full fight.

I'd soon get fed up with a Fury/Usyk fight in the one/two/hold style
    I think Fury walks straight through Usyk tbh. (tbf I thought AJ would be stopped in the 5th over the weekend too)
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    A shame joshua didnt go in for the kill early doors. Even after round 2 i thought wrong strategy and repeat of previous. Waited until round 9.  Hideous conduct post fight in the ring. Mans gone down in my estimations. It was a great fight and josh did ok to be fair. But usyk showed what a real class act he is.
    A shame josh couldnt have just said, hats off , usyk is superb and i did everything i could etc. Its his norm and usually a good sportsman. Still think josh would cause fury problems , styles make fights and josh  deffo top 3 in division and think he would demolish wilder in under 6.
    Agree with hootsman that usky fury wouldnt be as exciting with the hold style. 
    The fight before was pretty good, 39yr old china man and croatian. Absolutely went for it both of them and chins of granite.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I've just rewatched it. Yep, AJ put up a fight, but Usyk had all the answers and was picking AJ off almost at will at times. Continually double jabbing him, one-two to the head. Made it look easy a lot of the time. Also, a lot of AJ's attacks were blocked or skimmed off, much of the time.

I think AJ has hit his bar with this fella. 

Definitely think Fury would beat Usyk though. 
  • I've rewatched it a couple of times. Each time, I give it 8-4 to Usyk. Sure, AJ did better this time around and he connected with more punches than most against the Ukrainian (Briedis aside). However, apart from the odd round that AJ dominated, Usyk managed to slip a lot of his punches, or at least negate their impact with his slick movement. He was a class above. AJ can be proud of his performance in this fight - less so with his car crash response when the result was announced - as he was fighting one of the all-time greats. I'd like to see him call it a day, but I doubt he will.

For all his brilliance, I can't see Usyk beating Fury. The size, weight and reach difference will be enormous. More importantly, Usyk will struggle to find a giant sparring partner with Fury's skill set and awkward, twitchy style in preparation for the fight. Fury has a surprisingly good engine for such a huge bloke too. Fury has a higher ring IQ than AJ and if Usyk is dancing too much, Fury will almost certainly employ smothering tactics. After a few rounds of Fury grabbing and leaning that huge frame on him, Usyk will struggle. He's achieved some remarkable things at heavyweight, but he's been most dominant at cruiserweight. Fury has been troubled by smaller men in the past, but they were genuine heavyweights and had power. If Wilder couldn't finish off Fury, Usyk definitely won't have the power. A points victory over Fury is possible I guess, but he's no slouch when it comes to scoring himself.
    I think AJ would be better against Fury than against Usyk and has a better chance of beating Fury than Usyk does.  I'm not sure he could win but he would have a decent chance. Better boxer than wilder and has a decent punch.

I'd say heavyweight with best chance against Fury or Usyk would be Ortiz, he was easily beating Wilder until he got obliterated in the second fight.

swiller said:
    A shame joshua didnt go in for the kill early doors. Even after round 2 i thought wrong strategy and repeat of previous. Waited until round 9.  Hideous conduct post fight in the ring. 
    Round 9 took a lot out of Joshua - and I’m not sure he would have had the same success with a fresher Usyk in front of him.

He probably had to wait until the 9th to get an opportunity - for Usyk to tire/let him in, but what happened in round 10, 11 and 12? 

Usyk didn’t want the same punishment again that’s for sure, or was the big difference that AJ gassed. A combination of both I’d say.

If AJ goes all out too early and doesn’t get a KO, then surely fatigue gets the better of him - Usyk will slip, move and dance around those punches early in a fight and then pepper him with shots.

It’s easy to say he needs to put more pressure on be more aggressive but there’s consequences to that I think. 
    stevebrum said:
    swiller said:
    A shame joshua didnt go in for the kill early doors. Even after round 2 i thought wrong strategy and repeat of previous. Waited until round 9.  Hideous conduct post fight in the ring. 
    Round 9 took a lot out of Joshua - and I’m not sure he would have had the same success with a fresher Usyk in front of him.

He probably had to wait until the 9th to get an opportunity - for Usyk to tire/let him in, but what happened in round 10, 11 and 12? 

Usyk didn’t want the same punishment again that’s for sure, or was the big difference that AJ gassed. A combination of both I’d say.

If AJ goes all out too early and doesn’t get a KO, then surely fatigue gets the better of him - Usyk will slip, move and dance around those punches early in a fight and then pepper him with shots.

It’s easy to say he needs to put more pressure on be more aggressive but there’s consequences to that I think. 
    I agree with all that - however its the only way he wins, he had Usyk in trouble in the 5th of the first fight and the 9th of the second.

AJs special move was being an excellent finisher, he still is good but not as savage as he was as he is so wary.
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said: 
    I agree with all that - however its the only way he wins, he had Usyk in trouble in the 5th of the first fight and the 9th of the second.

AJs special move was being an excellent finisher, he still is good but not as savage as he was as he is so wary.
    It’s also potentially how he loses? I guess that’s the decision isn’t it - shit or bust. 

Usyk isn’t going to stand there and wait to be finished. When he got hurt to the body he held and got those precious seconds back. AJ would have to do some serious damage to scramble the spirit, ring craft and experience to get him into a position to finish him. 

It would have made an interesting and shorter fight if Joshua did come out more aggressive - I’m just not sure he would have won it.
    So can GGG beat canelo for the third time or will Vegas rob him again?
  • munckee said:
    So can GGG beat canelo for the third time or will Vegas rob him again?
    I really hope so, age is against him but a bit of justice would be nice. 

I won’t be watching it. Cancelled my DAZN, ok at £1.99 it was too cheap, at £7.99 I kept it going but then with PPV on top I decide if rather spend £7.99 on 30mins heating this winter instead! 

An entertaining card on Channel 5 tonight though. Lyndon Arthur shook off a bit of ring rust and stopped an awkward little opponent, and  a decent 12 round British Title with Gwynne v Woodruff that ended in a draw. Woodruff thought he’d done enough. I thought the draw was fair. Did you see it? 

Golovkin definitely lost that one. I didn’t watch but listened o. The radio, ggg tried to Bivol canelo for the first 8 without success then dominated the next 4. Inept fight management. 

I haven’t seen the c5 card yet will try and watch it later today. 
  • Couple of interesting fights tonight. Joyce v Parker. Joyce stoppage or Parker on points.

Maxi Hughes v Kid Galahad. This one is the one that I’m most interested in. I love watching Hughes he’s got slick movement and out the ring seems a really down to earth bloke. Galahad wins on paper but I’ve got a good feeling about Hughes. He’s only just been able to go full time and I think there’s more to come. 
    Looking forward to Joyce v Parker, Joyce is a strange one style wise but I like him and hope he gets the win.
    Parker is a strange fighter. Doesn’t seem  to be anything special but seems very hard to beat. I think Joyce wins but hard fight. 

I also think Galahad wins.  

Watched Shakur Stevenson against Conceicao last night. Stevenson one of the P4P best fighters for me. 
    Well that was impressive, to say the least!!!