Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    Yeah I’ll be watching all being well. 

Was at Manchester for the Conor Benn fight at the weekend. Billham-Smith v McCarthy was the bout I was looking forward to and it didn’t disappoint. The rest of the card wasn’t great but it was a decent night out. 
    I’ve seen the benn fight, it’s difficult to rate him so far. Algieri was somewhat of a gatekeeper but I’d like to see him in with someone better before he goes for a title. 

The lightweight tournament in sky was pretty entertaining one of the best tournaments I can remember.  
    Yeah Eddie is definitely being cautious with him and he’s not really hiding the fact. Risk v reward with some fights and the potential marketability of Benn means his being handled with extra care. Who would you like to see him in with?

Hatton jr was lower down the bill - he’s very much a work in progress at the moment. 
    I just watched the Hatton fight. He is so open and wild. Entertaining but risky. 

Id like to see benn fight kell brook, I think he may well lose it if he does but not a career or health damaging loss and would be great experience for him. 
    Forgot to reply to this, the new boxing thread reminded me. I’m not sure about the Brook fight. It seems Kell wants £10 million! The Michael McKinson fight would be be a decent shout. Two undefeated fighters the winner goes on for a title shot. Makes a great fight but maybe not business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    If Brook is demanding £10 million to fight then he has technically retired!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    munckee said:
    And he did!

I've delayed posting about Canelo's loss to Bivol until I had seen the fight.  Got up at stupid o clock and it wasn't even on the radio, I had to follow round by round updates.

The apparent shock of the result has glossed over the hidious marking.  I would say he maybe won round 5 and he could have had a share of one or two others if you were extremely generous.  119-109 was the most common score I saw from journalists and all three judges were 113-115.  You can imagine the whispered conversations saying we can't even make this a draw we'll get lynched.
    munckee said:
    munckee said:
    And he did!

I've delayed posting about Canelo's loss to Bivol until I had seen the fight.  Got up at stupid o clock and it wasn't even on the radio, I had to follow round by round updates.

The apparent shock of the result has glossed over the hidious marking.  I would say he maybe won round 5 and he could have had a share of one or two others if you were extremely generous.  119-109 was the most common score I saw from journalists and all three judges were 113-115.  You can imagine the whispered conversations saying we can't even make this a draw we'll get lynched.
    I didn’t watch it live but was able to watch it yesterday when I woke up without knowing the outcome.

113-115 is a joke. If Canelo had a good last round they’d have scored it a draw? 

Bivol executed the plan perfectly and like you I’d give 3 generous rounds to Canelo. 

He looked bad and frustrated towards the end blowing etc and Bivol looked fresh composed and in complete control. 

I haven’t read any of the post fight analysis yet but the DAZN comms team are shocking at the best of times. They seemed so relieved that the right man won on the night but completely glossed over the piss poor judging as you say. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    No way it was 113-115. The fact that Canelo got so frustrated shows how little success he was having. Boxing scoring has become a joke in many ways. I've been following Bivol's career for some time and I was pretty confident he'd win on points if it went the distance. I think Canelo has gone a weight division too far at light-heavy (he started around welterweight from what I recall). I had Kovalev ahead in their light-heavy fight until the knockout and the Russian was well past his best when they fought. Canelo undoubtably has a lot of power for his natural weight, but Bivol took a hell of a shot from Joe Smith Jr when they met and that shows he's able to cope with power punches from naturally bigger men. He's a natural light-heavyweight and moves well as a result. Canelo looked knackered at the end of the fight on Saturday. Bivol vs Beterbiev will be much more interesting, assuming the latter beats Smith Jr. Beterbiev doesn't have Bivol's skill, footwork especially, but he has freakish power and is better than many give him credit for.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Agree re the weight thing , the only welterweight I can think of that looked at home at light heavy was The Hit Man and he must have been at least 4 inches taller than Canelo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    Agree re the weight thing , the only welterweight I can think of that looked at home at light heavy was The Hit Man and he must have been at least 4 inches taller than Canelo
    True. Hearns also had an impressive reach, which Canelo doesn't. That hampered the Mexican against Bivol whose skilful footwork helped him to keep a safe distance. For all his ability, I think that Bivol has room to improve even further. His lateral movement isn't his greatest strength - he's more of an in-out counter puncher. Now, if he was to take a leaf out of Lomachenko's book (easier said than done, I know) and combine great side movement with his already excellent forwards-backwards footwork, he'd be very, very hard to beat.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I’ve only seen the highlights of Canelo v Bivol, but have been watching people on YouTube discussing the fight. Most seem to be scoring it either: 10 rounds Bivol/ 2 rounds Canelo or 9 rounds Bivol/ 3 rounds Canelo. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited July 2022
    Anyone have any thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Connor Benn??? Apparently they're just agreeing the rehydration clauses before announcing.

I know there's 13lb difference between the weights they fight at but I'm still intrigued and think it will be interesting. Eubank Jnr is a talent that never stepped up successfully, has a good chin but between styles whereas Benn is just like his dad, wears it on his sleeve, can and will bring a fight however is young and untested against decent opposition.

Plus with their dads lurking in the background could be a lot of fun.
    Tone71 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Connor Benn??? Apparently they're just agreeing the rehydration clauses before announcing.

I know there's 13lb difference between the weights they fight at but I'm still intrigued and think it will be interesting. Eubank Jnr is a talent that never stepped up successfully, has a good chin but between styles whereas Benn is just like his dad, wears it on his sleeve, can and will bring a fight however is young and untested against decent opposition.

Plus with their dads lurking in the background could be a lot of fun.
    I’ve a feeling this might be too soon for Benn with the weight difference. I feel like he might be on top but get worn down and stopped., a bit like Haye against Thompson.  

Should be a decent fight though. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    edited July 2022
    Think benn gets him , a bit like usyk did with josh. So wears eubank down and irritates him. Can see benn KO in mid-late fight . I was v impressed with his jab, defence and speed and power in last 2-3 fights against some half decent opposition. All of which were complete demolition jobs.
    I think weight down can work against a fighter as much as weight up. Looks like this one circa 155-160lbs.
    Eubank always looks cockier/clumsier than his father and loses it if fight isnt going his way. Benn on other hand looks real deal threat to most.
    Its a great fight because of the history between dads and benns attitude and recent record.
    I hope benn smashes the tw@ tbh. have massive respect for eubanks father, but jnr is just on a gravy train copying his dads attitude and is a boring fighter to watch in and out of the ring.

Dont worry, be silly.
    I’ve heard this fight being rumoured by a reliable YouTuber for over 1 week now, and there has still been no official announcement.

Eubank will probably start the bookies favourite & as much as I would like Benn to win, I think he loses this on points. The natural weight/size difference will be too much I think on the night.
    edited July 2022
    I’ll watch it but I don’t like this fight. Benn walks around above the catch weight anyway so just won’t have to cut as much. Eubank will have more work to do. 

I wonder what the rehydration clause is? There could be over a stone mismatch in weight on the night. Giving Eubank junior a huge advantage.

There’s better fights for both of them but dining out on parental legacy and tapping into a huge casual market for PPV buys brings in the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Anyone catch the Chris Billan-Smith v Isaac Chamberlain fight? Quality entertainment. 

I like CBS he’s an old school brawler but intelligent with it. He’s even got the look of a 50/60s gangster - you could photoshop him into an old BW East End photo with no questions asked.
    stevebrum said:
    Anyone catch the Chris Billan-Smith v Isaac Chamberlain fight? Quality entertainment. 

I like CBS he’s an old school brawler but intelligent with it. He’s even got the look of a 50/60s gangster - you could photoshop him into an old BW East End photo with no questions asked.
    I watched it, thought CBS might run out of steam last round he looked totally out of gas - he deserved the win though.  Would make a great rematch if CBS can pick up a world title.  They both earned their money it was brutal.
    edited July 2022
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:

I watched it, thought CBS might run out of steam last round he looked totally out of gas - he deserved the win though.  Would make a great rematch if CBS can pick up a world title.  They both earned their money it was brutal.
    It didn’t look so bad on the replay but live it did look like CBS was spent. He was still moving out of trouble though, just. 
    Josh Kelly vs Bastia live on c5 right now. 
    I thought Kelly might be a real prospect when I first saw him, he reminded me of Kell Brook, I’ve come to the conclusion he’s more likely domestic level good not world level. 

Nothing wrong with that of course. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Benn Eubank is one of those fights that could have a nasty ending IMO. Too much weight difference. EIbank will be walking around at over 175 most days, Benn probably nearer 160, less. Setting the weight could be the key. Too many risks for me. Too low a weight and Eubank is at high injury risk. Too high a weight and Benn is seriously outgunned. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Ok then gents, Usyk or Joshua?

I want Joshua to win not sure if he has met his match though, do think he definitely needs to go out swinging this time. 
    Usyk. 

Not sure I’ll be watching it but can’t see anything changing from last time out except a bigger, stronger, extremely focused and confident Usyk.
    I think Joshua comes out swinging and it’s 50\50 whether he catches usyk and flattens him or gets caught coming in an stopped. 
    Tone71 said:
    Ok then gents, Usyk or Joshua?

I want Joshua to win not sure if he has met his match though, do think he definitely needs to go out swinging this time. 
    Usyk to get the win.
  • Joshua has to try different tactics from the first fight when he tried to outbox a better boxer. I assume he'll come out fast and try to impose his size and power as he did in those few rounds where he had success in the first fight. If it goes to the latter half of the fight, I can't see him winning because Usyk has a much better engine than Joshua. In fact, I think that Joshua has always lacked stamina. It's heavyweight boxing, so Joshua will always have a chance (he has power and is a good finisher when he spots his chance), but Usyk is hard to hit and is a very accurate puncher himself. I've not seen Usyk in recent months, but I read that he'd pumped himself up a bit more for this fight. That will either work against him as he'll be slower, or be an advantage if he can catch Joshua's rather suspect chin with something powerful. So, my money is on Usyk. My son, on the other hand, is convinced that AJ will take it by knockout.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I think AJ comes out swinging and gets knocked out early . I respect the guy but he’s not a natural boxer , he’s a big strong bloke who is very upright and mechanical and I just hope he retires unhurt afterwards. I reckon he’d have a good career ahead in the media if he wants it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662

Im intrigued on this one as much as any fight in recent history. Think it will be a complete banger even if it only lasts a few rounds . Trilogy is pretty much guaranteed. Both have additional motivation vs first fight, which was actually a very good fight. Josh in 6.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    I think Joshua comes out swinging and it’s 50\50 whether he catches usyk and flattens him or gets caught coming in an stopped. 
  • ...he’s a big strong bloke who is very upright and mechanical...
    Absolutely. I've been saying this for years. After the Klitschko fight, I seemed to be the only one amongst my boxing friends who thought that a) AJ was blowing hard too early for a guy his age, b) he made the rather predictable Ukranian look more naturally skilful and c) he was nearly spent before he managed to see off the 41 year old (who was past his best) a round or so later. He's a good fighter, but not the great one people seem to think he is. Usyk, on the other hand, is gifted. He's especially good at cruiserweight. I've been less impressed since he bulked up to compete in the top weight division, but he is undoubtedly one of the best cruiserweights of all time. If AJ does pull it off, it will be a case of him connecting with a big punch that the smaller man is not physically equipped for, not a case of being the better fighter.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I think Usyk stops him. Different class of boxer and he's got more motivation than usual with him fighting for the spirit of Ukraine. I hear he has forked out so that the fight is broadcast free back home. 
    Don't rate AJ, I think he was exposed big time against Ruiz. Not the same mentally since then. Showed his mental fragility in the last Usyk fight - so badly prepared against a fighter who is known for being very crafty and capable. 
  • Its this Saturday isn't it. I am an AJ fan - but I cant see how he can beat Usyk