Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 662

What do people think would happen in Eubanks Jnr and Benn fought? I think it's an intriguing fight. and like their old men - an intuiting clash of styles and personalties. I'd never seen the Mexican fighter Benn fought last week before so it was hard to take too much from it. His attack and defence looked pretty limited but he seemed to be able to really take a shot......the point I am making is that Eubank Jnr can take a shot and certainly has a better defence than the Mexican kid and he has a more varried and subtle attack. Eubank can counter and fight off the back foot which may suit fighting Benn - I am not sure he has the power to stop Benn coming forward...... Benn hasn't been in with anyone as experienced as Eubanks Jnr. I think it's a good domestic/european level fight and if promoted right should earn them both a good nights pay. Neither of those kids are in the same league as their fathers. 
    I really rate benn. Ill disagree with benn hasn't been in with experienced, especially the way he demolished them at his weight. Algeiri, sam vargas.  Who has eubank beaten? Eubank only advantage is the weight/size. Movement, technical ability, speed benn all day long. 
    Eubank will get peppered with fast shots, get annoyed at benns brilliant defence and movement, lose his cool and benn wins it on points imho, a similar fight to last week where he fought the mexican.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Have scored some Sky VIP tickets for Buatsi and Azeez, was already looking forward to that and now I’ll be there. Which is nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:
    Have scored some Sky VIP tickets for Buatsi and Azeez, was already looking forward to that and now I’ll be there. Which is nice. 
    Nice - thats a good fight.... enjoy. I haven't checked the card. Hopefully it's a good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• swiller said:

What do people think would happen in Eubanks Jnr and Benn fought? I think it's an intriguing fight. and like their old men - an intuiting clash of styles and personalties. I'd never seen the Mexican fighter Benn fought last week before so it was hard to take too much from it. His attack and defence looked pretty limited but he seemed to be able to really take a shot......the point I am making is that Eubank Jnr can take a shot and certainly has a better defence than the Mexican kid and he has a more varried and subtle attack. Eubank can counter and fight off the back foot which may suit fighting Benn - I am not sure he has the power to stop Benn coming forward...... Benn hasn't been in with anyone as experienced as Eubanks Jnr. I think it's a good domestic/european level fight and if promoted right should earn them both a good nights pay. Neither of those kids are in the same league as their fathers. 
    I really rate benn. Ill disagree with benn hasn't been in with experienced, especially the way he demolished them at his weight. Algeiri, sam vargas.  Who has eubank beaten? Eubank only advantage is the weight/size. Movement, technical ability, speed benn all day long. 
    Eubank will get peppered with fast shots, get annoyed at benns brilliant defence and movement, lose his cool and benn wins it on points imho, a similar fight to last week where he fought the mexican.

Sounds like you've seen more of Benn than I have @swiller. I should've said I've only seen Benn fight on TV. I've seen Eubank jnr fight a couple of times......

Sorry - reading my message back it comes across wrong. I was trying to say Eubank Jnr is more experienced than Benn. Not that Benn hasn't been in with experience. I take your point about Vargas to an extent - but if I remember Benn smashed him and Vargas' record is mixed really if we're honest. 

All that said I suspect you're probably right - while Eubank Jnr is bigger Benn is, as you say quicker and probably a more conclusive puncher...... I don't think it will be as one sided as the fight with the Mexican kid last week though. Eubank Jnr has more to offer than that. I get the impression that Benn could outwork Eubank Jnr as well - the fights I've seen him in he keeps a higher pace than Eubanks Jnr does generally speaking - what do you reckon?
  • Blimey I’m glad I slept through my alarm - sounds like a dull very one sided fight . Hats off to Canelo though , I thought this may have been a test for him but he was just too good on the night 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Blimey I’m glad I slept through my alarm - sounds like a dull very one sided fight . Hats off to Canelo though , I thought this may have been a test for him but he was just too good on the night 
    I watched it Con and it wasn’t dull , I thought it was a decent fight but Canelo is just a machine. Some of the body shots the guy throws make you wince just watching them land. 
  • Blimey I’m glad I slept through my alarm - sounds like a dull very one sided fight . Hats off to Canelo though , I thought this may have been a test for him but he was just too good on the night 
    I watched it Con and it wasn’t dull , I thought it was a decent fight but Canelo is just a machine. Some of the body shots the guy throws make you wince just watching them land. 
    I am with you @mikeyrob73 - I thought it was a good fight...... it's hardly breaking news but every time I watch Alvarez I am reminded of complete his game is and how good his fundamentals are. He is an incredibly accomplished fighter whose experience gives him a very high ring IQ. 

I have to say that I was wrong about Charlo - I had doubts about his heart - whether he'd stick with a fight he wasn't winning and was getting hurt. He did and I wasn't sure he would. So I got that wrong and he was pretty respectful as well.. 

It's a cliche that boxing is about levels - but there is a step between world class and the very few elite fighers. 

Also this fight confirms how good Bivol is. 

Cheers Mike , I guess by dull it sounded like it was never in doubt especially with Canelos chin .
    Did you ever get the sense that Charlo had an upset in him ?
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Just caught up this morning. I thought it was an ok fight - albeit one that lacked a bit of spark. Even the knockdown wasn’t particularly exciting. An educated decision by Charlo to save himself from what was to come. 

What it demonstrated well was Canello’s ability to neutralise his opponent and make them uncomfortable for 36 mins. I think he walked Charlo down well for most of the fight, cut the ring off and took his punches well - of which there were very few. 

I’m not sure how much going up weight divisions  affected Charlo’s power - particularly when the ginger one has been up and down himself. 

Charlo has a natural height and reach advantage - even if he has campaigned at the lower weights. 

The USA commentary was sending me to sleep which didn’t help! 

Jai Opetaia looked really impressive on the matchroom card, I’m looking forward to seeing him in with some of the better cruiserweights. 

• I'd never heard of this guy before, but Jeamie TKV might be the worse "boxer" I've seen...... truly shocking...... I have to hand it to Matthew Macklin.... trying to talk this guy up was a real uphill endeavour, eventually it became impossible to deny what was happening in front of everyone......if it isn't entirely apparent this really shows the bias to the in house/promotions fights......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6dj3MZUcA
    edited October 2023
    I haven’t watched that one @Placidcasual79 but if you want to see caution thrown to the wind and two men trading - the Stevie McKenna fight is entertaining.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eb0GbP2SdZU&pp=ygUOc3RldmllIG1ja2VubmE%3D

A bit of an antidote to some of the more pedestrian bouts over the weekend.

I’ve been watching the McKenna lads on undercards for a few years now, an interesting back story - Dad built a gym at home, has taken them sparring around different gyms in the USA etc. Stevie will need some refinement and defence as the opponents get better, it’s going to be interesting to see how the pair progress from here though.

• stevebrum said:
    I haven’t watched that one @Placidcasual79 but if you want to see caution thrown to the wind and two men trading - the Stevie McKenna fight is entertaining.

I’ve been watching the McKenna lads on undercards for a few years now, an interesting back story - Dad built a gym at home, has taken them sparring around different gyms in the USA etc. Stevie will need some refinement and defence as the opponents get better, it’s going to be interesting to see how the pair progress from here though.

If you can stand to watch a bit of it, it may actually be worth it..... I imagine it'll be referred back to as it really is shockingly bad.... 

Thanks @stevebrum ;- I missed this fight - and it is a great fight! Fair play to both boxers....... It's a great story and I agree with your assessment, McKenna looks like he has a good engine and all the heart in the world..... but if you lead with wide hooks like that you're going to get countered and beaten by fast straight punches..... it'll be interesting to see how far he goes. There are brothers who also compete professionally? 
  • I don't know if people are onto this YouTube boxing channel? OfficeHanchoBoxing? I think its it's a great channel. This guy really knows his stuff - particularly Asian and Mexican boxers...... his analysis is largely unbiased and well informed, he isn't prone to hype and is true to his principals. 

He's being doing it for 10 years and does all sorts of content.....this is his most recent video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT95z0VYyTg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    stevebrum said:

If you can stand to watch a bit of it, it may actually be worth it..... I imagine it'll be referred back to as it really is shockingly bad.... 

Thanks @stevebrum ;- I missed this fight - and it is a great fight! Fair play to both boxers....... It's a great story and I agree with your assessment, McKenna looks like he has a good engine and all the heart in the world..... but if you lead with wide hooks like that you're going to get countered and beaten by fast straight punches..... it'll be interesting to see how far he goes. There are brothers who also compete professionally? 
    Yes his younger brother Aaron is an unbeaten middleweight prospect.

Bit of info here and a fair bit on YouTube.

https://teammckenna.net/about-us

They’re based in LA.

I’ll get round to watching the Jeamie fight at some point.  :)
  • stevebrum said:

Yes his younger brother Aaron is an unbeaten middleweight prospect.

Bit of info here and a fair bit on YouTube.

https://teammckenna.net/about-us

They’re based in LA.

I’ll get round to watching the Jeamie fight at some point.  :)
    Thanks Steve - appreciate some new boxing stuff to get into. Did you find them on an undercard? I wouldn't make it a priority mate it's utterly appalling but has to be seen to be believed though. 

You're a big boxing fan? When did you start following boxing? Did/do you follow any of the midlands fighters? I saw a couple of Macklins fights and he used to have a huge following of , I think, Birmingham City. supporters. 
    I’ve followed boxing on and off. Fond memories as a kid watching big fights on terrestrial TV with my grandad and having a move round in the kitchen with him etc!

I was well out the loop when Sky seemed to broadcast it all in the late 90s & 00s. And any stateside bouts just weren’t on my radar.

I’d say my interest has gradually piqued again over the last 10-15 years and even more so in the last 5 since I started training myself.

I’ve currently got a DAZN subscription and sky sports mobile so I get to see a lot more these days. I’ll also go to the boozer to see some big fights or buy the odd PPV.

Funnily enough I first saw Stevie McKenna on C5 in behind closed door fights in lockdown and other undercards since. Always pleased to see him. He typically blasted out his opponents in 1 or 2 rounds early on. Aaron is more measured but I haven’t seen as many of his fights.

A mate of mine has some loose connections to Macklin and Frankie Gavin from his younger days but I don’t know them. I’m not a midlander born and bred. 
  • stevebrum said:
    I’ve followed boxing on and off. Fond memories as a kid watching big fights on terrestrial TV with my grandad and having a move round in the kitchen with him etc!

I was well out the loop when Sky seemed to broadcast it all in the late 90s & 00s. And any stateside bouts just weren’t on my radar.

I’d say my interest has gradually piqued again over the last 10-15 years and even more so in the last 5 since I started training myself.

I’ve currently got a DAZN subscription and sky sports mobile so I get to see a lot more these days. I’ll also go to the boozer to see some big fights or buy the odd PPV.

Funnily enough I first saw Stevie McKenna on C5 in behind closed door fights in lockdown and other undercards since. Always pleased to see him. He typically blasted out his opponents in 1 or 2 rounds early on. Aaron is more measured but I haven’t seen as many of his fights.

A mate of mine has some loose connections to Macklin and Frankie Gavin from his younger days but I don’t know them. I’m not a midlander born and bred. 
    Ah - that sounds like a lovely memory with your granddad if you don't mind me saying Steve. 

Thats interesting - I got into boxing around the time you mention in the late 90's....I'd go round my mates house, the guitar player in a band I was in at the time, to watch the football. His old man was from Manchester and had boxed in the army. He was into Ricky Hatton before he really took off and also a crazy fighter called Micheal Gomez. We'd watch the fights with him and he'd tell us what was really happening. My old man was Jock and I remember a few years later me and my mate and both our dads got together and watched Gomez fight Alex Arthur. It was an incredible fight - seeing the way the old fella's got into really cemented my love for it. 

Frankie Gavin! I had forgotten that name. I remember him as a very skilled fighter who didn't really make the most of his talent?

I think the Leigh Wood vs Josh Warrington fight is on DAZN this Saturday. That should be a competitive fight....... (famous last words)
    Not at all @Placidcasual79 great memories - sparring in the kitchen with him, and him predictably sticking in the elbow and saying mind out in the blind side of the referee! 

The Wood v Warrington can’t fail to deliver. Would have liked to go to Sheffield to watch I think it’ll be a great atmosphere. 

I’ll check out the YouTube channel you linked a few posts ago - it’s a new one to me.

What about other boxing resources - I’m really enjoying the George Groves Boxing Club Podcasts. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I have t really tried boxing podcasts much, I listen to the Bunce bbc radio from time to time. 

I was always a fan of boxing from a small kid but it was the Benn, Eubank, Watson rivalry that got me really hooked. 

My favourite fighter was Kirkland Laing!
  • stevebrum said:
    Not at all @Placidcasual79 great memories - sparring in the kitchen with him, and him predictably sticking in the elbow and saying mind out in the blind side of the referee! 

The Wood v Warrington can’t fail to deliver. Would have liked to go to Sheffield to watch I think it’ll be a great atmosphere. 

I’ll check out the YouTube channel you linked a few posts ago - it’s a new one to me.

What about other boxing resources - I’m really enjoying the George Groves Boxing Club Podcasts. 
    Ha ha - thats absoltuely brilliant Steve...... priceless stuff from your Grandad. 

Yeah - I am pretty sure Woods Warrington should be a good fight. I am going to have a look at prices for Warrington on points. I've only been to Sheffield a couple of times and never seen a fight there..... I do try and catch cards in smaller venues around the north west and north Wales. I try and watch the amateur card in my home town a couple of times a year.  I have a few friends in London and have promised myself to get to a card in York Hall. 

Thank you for reminding me of the George Groves Podcast - I've heard it's pretty good and have meant to catch it - going to look for it now.  
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Good breakdown of how he sees the fight going. I slightly favour Leigh Wood on points. Should be a really good fight.

https://youtu.be/Q35K1wF2NR4?feature=shared
  • You watching the fight tomorrow @stevebrum @duotone? I am going to miss sadly......

@Placidcasual79 ;
    I won’t be watching it live as it’s on DAZN. But I plan on watching what I can find on YouTube on Sunday morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotone said:
    @Placidcasual79 ;
    I won’t be watching it live as it’s on DAZN. But I plan on watching what I can find on YouTube on Sunday morning.
    Yeah - me too....... I haven't gone for DAZN yet - so many of these channels come and go...... maybe thats a bit cynical or flaky, but I am going to wait and see if it endures lol. 
    I first subscribed to DAZN nearly 3 years ago - it started off at £1.99 which was always too cheap. I cancelled it for a while but restarted again at £100 for the year. 

I’ll be watching tomorrow but will miss some of the undercard. 
  • stevebrum said:
    I first subscribed to DAZN nearly 3 years ago - it started off at £1.99 which was always too cheap. I cancelled it for a while but restarted again at £100 for the year. 

I’ll be watching tomorrow but will miss some of the undercard. 
    I've been tempted a couple of times.....in your experience has that been good value Steve?
    edited October 2023
    If you don’t mind listening to the fight on the radio it’s on BBC Radio 5 Live, coverage starts at 10:20pm: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001r9lc
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
  • duotone said:
    If you don’t mind listening to the fight on the radio it’s on BBC Radio 5 Live, coverage starts at 10:20pm: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001r9lc
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
    Thanks @duotone I am baby sitting at my mates. I don't know whether to avoid the result altogether and watch it tomorrow or listen to it live.......

Or what I probably will end up doing is being unable to resist watching the highlights on YouTube later on this evening in which case I'll get none of the benefits of either of the above options......

There are radio stations on the tv in this house..... and I've never listened to a fight live on the radio before.....

are you watching @duotone? Hows the undercard?
    @Placidcasual79 ;

I listened to some of it on the radio & fell asleep. Woke up with BBC Radio 5 Live still playing around 2am!

Here are the full card highlights:
    https://youtu.be/58lCnTQ_qVQ?feature=shared
  • duotone said:
    @Placidcasual79 ;

I listened to some of it on the radio & fell asleep. Woke up with BBC Radio 5 Live still playing around 2am!

Here are the full card highlights:
    https://youtu.be/58lCnTQ_qVQ?feature=shared
    Thanks - I've tried to catch up..... I didn't see that result coming.... I thought Warrington on points and in fairness it looked like it was going that way for a while. 

Will have a look art the undercard - appreciate it.