Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Tone71 said:
    No complaints on that finish from AJ last night.

Sure he's stopped being the wrecking ball and young gung ho fighter he once was, being beaten has definitely made him think and plan his moves which the average Twitter armchair fan simply won't understand, but that finish was impressive.

I'm looking forward to the Wilder fight next, and regardless, win, lose or draw he's fought everyone who wants to play.
    personally I can’t believe how AJ can still sell out a venue. 

Since he lost he is so wary of stepping into his right hand that he is ponderous to the point of boring . I fear for his physical and mental health if he fights Wilder tbh - I want AJ to win of course and I want him to rediscover his more gung ho nature but I think he’ll be ponderous , scared to the point of rigidity and overthink everything whereas Wilder will just be thinking ‘I just need to land a big right hand and it’s all over’

AJs not a natural fighter , he’s not a natural boxer , he is a great athlete who can hit . He is made for life financially and imho needs to keep it simple , think a bit less and risk a loss to get a statement win on his record. 

Last night was boring up until the knockout and it didn’t do him any favours 
    Can’t disagree with any of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I saw a 30 second clip of the knockout on YouTube, that was enough for me.

If I never saw another AJ fight I would be quite happy.

How was the undercard? I’m assuming this one was PPV?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Joshua should pack in. He's lost all urgency and doesn't look like he wants to fight really - he doesn't even sound like he believes his own flannel when he talks about his fights. 
    I can't see the fight with Wilder going anyway except for an early brutal knockout of Joshua. Based on his last few fights, I think Joshua is a spent force and nowhere near Wilder. 

If I were in Joshua's crew, I'd be working hard to dissuade him from fighting Wilder - I'd be worried about him getting seriously hurt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Snap said:
    Joshua should pack in. He's lost all urgency and doesn't look like he wants to fight really - he doesn't even sound like he believes his own flannel when he talks about his fights. 
    I can't see the fight with Wilder going anyway except for an early brutal knockout of Joshua. Based on his last few fights, I think Joshua is a spent force and nowhere near Wilder. 

If I were in Joshua's crew, I'd be working hard to dissuade him from fighting Wilder - I'd be worried about him getting seriously hurt. 
    I put that fight as a pure 50/50. Joshua in a shell and Wilder swinging with Joshua swinging the odd right counter and depends on who connects first. 

Joshua has never been ko’d by a single shot Tbf to him. 

I agree he has lost his edge but maybe that has stopped him being knocked out before now.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    duotone said:

Chizzy was pretty turgid too and Hrgović not much better. A pretty unexciting night of HW boxing, but that's the way it goes sometimes. 

They took it off PPV when Whyte got the boot. 
    Lebarque said:
    duotone said:

Chizzy was pretty turgid too and Hrgović not much better. A pretty unexciting night of HW boxing, but that's the way it goes sometimes. 

They took it off PPV when Whyte got the boot. 
    Fisher v Armstrong for the southern area title was probably the most entertaining fight of the night. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Just watched the navarette and valdez fight. An insane contrast to matchrooms efforts on weekend. Thats mexicans.

What a fight that was and i have a new fav boxer on the list to follow, who wasnt the winner, but star of the show in valdez. Navarette reach is insane for the weight and not a mark on him, surprisingly.
    vid below..

Dont worry, be silly.
    munckee said:
    Snap said:

I put that fight as a pure 50/50. Joshua in a shell and Wilder swinging with Joshua swinging the odd right counter and depends on who connects first. 

Joshua has never been ko’d by a single shot Tbf to him. 

No, but he has not fought anyone with Wilder's ferocity & power. I think it's curtains for Joshua, can't see him getting near Wilder. Joshua has been awful in the last few years, really poor. Dillian Whyte may well have had enough to beat him.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Did anyone else hear that Joseph Parker wanted to step in to fight Joshua but he was turned down as too risky a fight.  If this is true it tells me where Ajs head is right now. I can see the Wilder fight not happening tbh
    edited August 2023
    I had heard they turned down southpaws as he had trained for orthodox and people who wanted too much money. I’m sure with 4 days notice there would have been wariness to put him in with a major risk. 

There is so much trash talk in boxing it’s pretty hard to know why Parker didn’t get the fight unless it comes from AJ or EH. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
     Here's my completely subjective top trumps for AJ v Wilder (out of ten). So I guess I've got Wilder easily winning, but we all know heavyweights can be settled with one punch.

AJ
    Power 7
    Technique 5
    Engine 6
    Chin 2
    Size 6
    Bottle 3
    Total 29

Wilder
    Power 9
    Technique 1
    Engine 4
    Chin 7
    Size 8
    Bottle 8
    Total 37

Bottle and chin are what will do AJ in. I think he's lost both qualities, if he ever had either from the start.

Wilder put Fury on the deck 4 times across their fights. I think he will put AJ through the ropes and out the apron.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think his chin is pretty good, got up to ko klitshko, took Whyte’s best and was still standing when stopped against Ruiz.  

Was physically shattered in first usyk fight but didn’t go down and put in a much better performance second fight but was just second best. 

Agree he is too risk averse now.  
    I fancy joshua to do wilder. Was a crap performance last week, but now thinking could be a strategy to ensure that he tempts wilder/fury to fight him. Big money, easy win apparently for wilder. Maybe he is just saving up energy for the big one. if not then josh is just a chicken shit tbh. Still have hope.

Onto weekend fight. Usyk dubois...
    The odds are insane for a dubois win and if he does it, its by KO surely. The lowest odds are 80/1 and up to 150-1 each round for dubois stoppage. So thats well worth £3 on each round for £243-£453 win for 36 outlay. Usyk is 10-1 on ffs. Thats just insane.

Usyk plan will be to jab his face off aka joe joyce, but dubois i think will go in gung ho chisora style and go for a KO and wont mind getting hit early rounds.I like dubois, a proper big fucker who is slow on the punch, but looks in shape of his career and nothing to lose as a boxer who has already lost. He has never been out cold and kind of gave up due to eye vs joyce. Its heavyweight boxing and if he lands could be goodnight vienna for usyk.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    That’s crazy how wide the odds are @swiller ;
    Definitely worth a punt for a £36 outlay. Good Luck!
    duotone said:
    That’s crazy how wide the odds are @swiller ;
    Definitely worth a punt for a £36 outlay. Good Luck!
    Thanks. Yup crazy odds for a 2 horse race in any sport. A narrower boxing gap than ngannou to beat fury , which runs from 22/1 to 100/1
    Dont worry, be silly.
    I’m now looking forward to this - it’s potentially not the mismatch it seems on paper. 

Dubious has a massive life changing opportunity, and at the very least a punchers chance. 

I can’t see it being an easy night’s work for either man. But I think it’s mostly dictated by what DDD can do to neutralise Usyk’s work - he can’t allow him to dictate the pace and get too comfortable. 

Basically don’t use the AJ blueprint - rough him up early and make him uncomfortable. Easier said than done from someone who has the ability to go missing and and then pepper you with shots from any angle. 
    I think Dubois on paper might have a decent chance as he has previously been keen to engage and not shy of taking shots to get close, I wonder whether he might be a bit more risk averse following his knockdowns in the last fight. 

Judging by the way Usyk handled Joyce in the amateurs and comfortably beat AJ I’m expecting a comfortable points win for Usyk.  
    So now apparently Helenius failed a drug test prior to fighting Joshua.  Unbelievable.  
    stevebrum said:
    I’m now looking forward to this - it’s potentially not the mismatch it seems on paper. 

Dubious has a massive life changing opportunity, and at the very least a punchers chance. 

I can’t see it being an easy night’s work for either man. But I think it’s mostly dictated by what DDD can do to neutralise Usyk’s work - he can’t allow him to dictate the pace and get too comfortable. 

Basically don’t use the AJ blueprint - rough him up early and make him uncomfortable. Easier said than done from someone who has the ability to go missing and and then pepper you with shots from any angle. 

Spot on. Not sure why but looking forward to this one as much as any heavyweight contest ever. Not just cos ive got a bet on.

Perhaps its the location, ukraine situation as well as a 25 yr old british heavyweight, , fight for 3 of the global heavyweight belts..Has historic boxing occasion written all over it.

and lots in favour of dubois..
    Size, age, been through periods of adversity in the ring, has joshuas fights to reference strategically. Top 3 hardest hitters imo. He has a loss so zero expectations, never been sparked out. Usyk little chance of a single blow ko. More pressure on Usyk on all levels.

Universally accepted now i think that usyk is almost impossible to beat on points and therefore its about having stamina to chuck big bombs and ruff him up and accept being hit a lot in the process. Dubois can come out a UK hero even if he loses on points/injury in that process if its more exciting than either of josh/usyk fights. He is a very good test for usyk. 

Dont worry, be silly.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    OK, so was that low?
    edited August 2023
    TJT1979 said:
    OK, so was that low?
    Nope , shocking refereeing 
    Not low - on the waistband with hindsight and the best camera angle in slow motion. 

That said in real time - I shouted out straight away that’s not fucking low so…
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Proper heavyweight fight ruined by poor refereeing (IMO).
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 33
    edited August 2023
    Looks like it was low to me.

This guy seems to have had a good look.

That didn't work, it's "Chris Andre Boxing" youtube channel.

If you look at the punch from front on you can see it lands on the top of the belt / shorts waistband. Unless Usyk is a freak of nature and has his balls on his belly button then his reaction was because of a great body shot that hurt him rather than a low blow 
  • I’ve frame by framed it and looking at where the lowest part of the glove first contacts it’s low. Looking where the highest part contacts it’s clean. So I’ve absolutely no idea apart from I wouldn’t want to get hit there
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    This is why I can never get into boxing, there are so many bad decisions that decide a match. It's one of the very worst sports for officiating and to my mind needs a total rethink to something fairer with less chance of wrong results. 
    I’ve frame by framed it and looking at where the lowest part of the glove first contacts it’s low. Looking where the highest part contacts it’s clean. So I’ve absolutely no idea apart from I wouldn’t want to get hit there
    So you’ve had unlimited time, watched it from every angle and in slow motion and still can’t decide. The ref only has his single vantage point and a split second decision.

It’s definitely a tough call and opinions will be swayed by interests. The ref is supposed to be impartial and call it as he sees it.

Usyk milked it, would he have got up if the ref started counting? Not sure, he was shaking like a shitting dog at one point and looked hurt. 

The length of recovery time given, the decision not to take a point off DDD and the swiftness to count him out in the 9th (although DDD didn’t do himself any favours) doesn’t make for good officiating. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 861
    edited August 2023
    Don’t think he would have got up if there was a count. Will be interesting to see the outcome of any appeal.
    I’m making the assumption any part of the glove landing below the belt counts as below the belt. Some people are saying below the navel. I’m not sure what text is actually in the rulebook, but it will definitely be dusted down