Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Ryder has always seemed really hard to beat rather than a massive prospect in his own right. He did well to go to Mexico and tough it out with their best fighter. 

I think he loses to Bivol again, he doesn’t have the engine up at that weight and Bivol was all over him last time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If I was in a trench in ww1 and had to go over the top and could choose a wingman, I’d choose Sam Eggington.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    I managed to fall asleep during the ring walks for Billam-Smith v Okolie!!!
    Need to catch up later sounded a good fight
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Lots to catch up on! 3 big cards this weekend - whilst I was away. 

Really please for CBS and Wood. Looks like Conlan took another heavy KO though - not so good. 
    I watched the CBS fight and he was a clear winner and had Okolie in all sorts of trouble.  One of the knockdowns was marginal but two were clear cut, the first knockdown was a great shot.  I think he just knew Okolie inside out.  Haven't seen the Wood fight yet.

Couple of great fights coming up, Smith vs Beterbiev although I don't give smith a lot of chance to be fair.

Then Spence vs Crawford, I guess Spence has been waiting for Crawford to age a bit, judging by how they both fought vs Kell Brook I expect Crawford to stop Spence.

Had a work from home treat, eating my lunch while watching Inoue vs Fulton, Inoue is rightly called the monster, moving up a weight and taking out the undefeated man in the division by ko is some achievement.

If Inoue can carry that up to lightweight, in with Haney, Stevenson, Lomachenko and Kambosas etc that will be aan incredibly strong division.
    munckee said:
    Had a work from home treat, eating my lunch while watching Inoue vs Fulton, Inoue is rightly called the monster, moving up a weight and taking out the undefeated man in the division by ko is some achievement.

If Inoue can carry that up to lightweight, in with Haney, Stevenson, Lomachenko and Kambosas etc that will be aan incredibly strong division.
    Kambosas got lucky against Maxi Hughes at the weekend by all accounts. I haven’t seen the full fight yet but can’t find any commentary that suggests anything other than a robbery. 
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:

Kambosas got lucky against Maxi Hughes at the weekend by all accounts. I haven’t seen the full fight yet but can’t find any commentary that suggests anything other than a robbery. 
    I watched it, not really a robbery but Hughes unlucky not to get the win, it was fairly close.  Lomachenko against Haney was a worse decision, still not a robbery but Loma did enough I thought 
    edited July 2023
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:

I watched it, not really a robbery but Hughes unlucky not to get the win, it was fairly close.  Lomachenko against Haney was a worse decision, still not a robbery but Loma did enough I thought 
    I think most of the disgust was at the unreasonably wide 117-111 card - perhaps if he’d have narrowly missed by a round or two, the robbery comments wouldn’t be doing the media rounds. 

I like Maxi - he’s got great movement and seems a decent down to earth fellow. 
    It’s the big one at the weekend, I still think Crawford will win. 

Predictions?

im going Crawford by 10th round stoppage. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    i fancy spence for a big fight upset.
    Crawford on paper of course, not least how they both disposed of kell brook and s porter. 

Spence for me slightly better alertness in the ring. Think his recent accident gives him a psychological advantage. Surprisingly slightly bigger man.

Spence would need to hurt/frustrate in early rounds whilst crawford tries to suss out opposition like he does in all fights. Needs to avoid crawford right hook throughout the fight. He needs to try and get on the inside as think crawford wins a jabbing/distance contest.

If spence hurts/shocks him early, think a crawford retirement/doctors stoppage late rounds is a decent bet. Think its hard to strategise against spence. I think after round 4, if crawford not rattled a bit, then crawford takes it late rounds/decision.

Great fight prospect though. Unlike British heavyweight boxing, a good example of best vs best actually happening at the right time for the fans benefit. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    i fancy spence for a big fight upset.
    Crawford on paper of course, not least how they both disposed of kell brook and s porter. 

Spence for me slightly better alertness in the ring. Think his recent accident gives him a psychological advantage. Surprisingly slightly bigger man.

Spence would need to hurt/frustrate in early rounds whilst crawford tries to suss out opposition like he does in all fights. Needs to avoid crawford right hook throughout the fight. He needs to try and get on the inside as think crawford wins a jabbing/distance contest.

If spence hurts/shocks him early, think a crawford retirement/doctors stoppage late rounds is a decent bet. Think its hard to strategise against spence. I think after round 4, if crawford not rattled a bit, then crawford takes it late rounds/decision.

Great fight prospect though. Unlike British heavyweight boxing, a good example of best vs best actually happening at the right time for the fans benefit. 
    My memory of Brook vs spence
    is that was Kell was controlling the fight before his notoriously shit tank emptied and he then started to struggle before getting  hurt and injured. Against Crawford he was just ruthlessly taken out. 

I think Spence has intentionally waited for Crawford to get old but his crazy year might even things up again. 

I definitely think Crawford is the better boxer if he can still take it. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited July 2023
    For years I thought Crawford definitely wins this, but the past couple of weeks I have a gut feeling of Spence winning by decision.

EDIT: Just about to watch this Punch Perfect Boxing video & probaly change my opinion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKE0gbQpsc

Well it was the 9th rather than the 10th. As one sided as I can remember a massive fight like this. 
    Not disrespecting Spence but it looked like a lightweight fighting a middleweight in terms of power.  I think it makes a big difference for Crawford that he is right handed but fights southpaw because every knockdown was brought about by a right hand, either jab or hook. 
    I think Crawford showed how he is on another level to Spence. Accurate punching & quicker, I’m surprised by how one-sided it was tbh.
    Just watched it, Crawford is incredible, so much power in that jab from being originally an orthodox fighter. Spence is a true great too and for the first round and a half looked like it could be closer.

What I like most is two champions fighting each other, no drama, no bullshit just getting the fight made, refreshing especially in light of the recent heavyweight nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    So Dillian Whyte has had the third adverse doping result of his career and the rematch with Joshua is off.  Wasn't a particularly interesting fight anyway tbf.  What's the bet he fights Chisora again?

Whyte surely should get a lifetime ban this time.
    HW boxing is a joke atm, one thing for sure though AJ wont fight Chisora as they're mates and from the same management team.

Gutted for Whyte as he's a comical character but 3rd time positive??!!! A lifetime ban would make others think a bit harder about trying although I'm fairly sure most use/have used PED's and it's rife.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Really bad for the sport (in UK anyway). Was looking forward to benn vs eubank and also this one. I love boxing since an ankle biter ,  but turned off it now with all the utter stupidity of the UK scene, failed drugs tests, deals falling through, over hyped fights. 

Hope Josh takes hrgovic (as its the only plausible fight as he is due on the undercard anyway). Ziang fights in late sept so prob not a goer. everyone else fighting soon, done for peds or fought already. Only wilder with no upcoming fight, but that wont happen with a weeks notice in the 02.

Spence crawford a disappointing fight, as was tank garcia, but as a fight fan, at least they are concluded and gave the fans what they wanted.

Whyte should retire. All mouth no trousers. Fuck off.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    swiller said:
    Really bad for the sport (in UK anyway). Was looking forward to benn vs eubank and also this one. I love boxing since an ankle biter ,  but turned off it now with all the utter stupidity of the UK scene, failed drugs tests, deals falling through, over hyped fights. 

Hope Josh takes hrgovic (as its the only plausible fight as he is due on the undercard anyway). Ziang fights in late sept so prob not a goer. everyone else fighting soon, done for peds or fought already. Only wilder with no upcoming fight, but that wont happen with a weeks notice in the 02.

Spence crawford a disappointing fight, as was tank garcia, but as a fight fan, at least they are concluded and gave the fans what they wanted.

Whyte should retire. All mouth no trousers. Fuck off.
    Agree on all this. The sport has gone down the tubes. The decline started with the formation of the WBO IMO. There are now so many half arsed governing bodies and "world" champions its a joke. Most of the fights are nonsense as well.  A real shame, but inevitable. Money ruins a lot of sports. Money and crooks.

Joshua should just pack in. He's rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Absolute shit show. Whyte being replaced by Robert Helenius - a credible opponent who lasted a few seconds with Wilder and who fought last week…

Still it’s not PPV now so my Sat night viewing is sorted as a DAZN subscriber. I wasn’t interested in the original fight and wouldn’t have bought it. Every cloud. 
    edited August 2023
    stevebrum said:
    Absolute shit show. Whyte being replaced by Robert Helenius - a credible opponent who lasted a few seconds with Wilder and who fought last week…

Still it’s not PPV now so my Sat night viewing is sorted as a DAZN subscriber. I wasn’t interested in the original fight and wouldn’t have bought it. Every cloud. 
    I feel sorry for Joshua, Whyte fails a drug test ,  Joshua then has to either take a gimme fighter or a risk.  Most risk fighters wouldn't fight at a few days notice even if Joshua wanted to take them on.  There wasn't really a credible enough fight on the card to promote them to main so he has to take a gimme - none of it his fault really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    munckee said:
    stevebrum said:

I feel sorry for Joshua, Whyte fails a drug test ,  Joshua then has to either take a gimme fighter or a risk.  Most risk fighters wouldn't fight at a few days notice even if Joshua wanted to take them on.  There wasn't really a credible enough fight on the card to promote them to main so he has to take a gimme - none of it his fault really. 
    Yeah he’s in a no win situation. Hearn must be fuming as well. At least the card carries on and the fighters that barely scratch a living get paid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    No complaints on that finish from AJ last night.

Sure he's stopped being the wrecking ball and young gung ho fighter he once was, being beaten has definitely made him think and plan his moves which the average Twitter armchair fan simply won't understand, but that finish was impressive.

I'm looking forward to the Wilder fight next, and regardless, win, lose or draw he's fought everyone who wants to play.
    Haven’t seen it yet but sounded like a decent stoppage. 

It would be no good for boxing but A J has the fanbase to have a second career knocking out mma people and YouTubers. His fans just seem to want him ko people in a round. 

I did watch the Navarette Valdez fight, that was really entertaining. Navarette going to be hard to beat. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited August 2023
    Tone71 said:
    No complaints on that finish from AJ last night.

Sure he's stopped being the wrecking ball and young gung ho fighter he once was, being beaten has definitely made him think and plan his moves which the average Twitter armchair fan simply won't understand, but that finish was impressive.

I'm looking forward to the Wilder fight next, and regardless, win, lose or draw he's fought everyone who wants to play.
    personally I can’t believe how AJ can still sell out a venue. 

Since he lost he is so wary of stepping into his right hand that he is ponderous to the point of boring . I fear for his physical and mental health if he fights Wilder tbh - I want AJ to win of course and I want him to rediscover his more gung ho nature but I think he’ll be ponderous , scared to the point of rigidity and overthink everything whereas Wilder will just be thinking ‘I just need to land a big right hand and it’s all over’

AJs not a natural fighter , he’s not a natural boxer , he is a great athlete who can hit . He is made for life financially and imho needs to keep it simple , think a bit less and risk a loss to get a statement win on his record. 

Last night was boring up until the knockout and it didn’t do him any favours 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    seen it. Was a bit meh tbh..
    39 year old with a glass chin, does ok for 6 rounds and gets hit with a shot that most heavyweights would not get stopped for.,,, Certainly not ruiz, klit, wilder, fury, ziang, hrgovic etc.  Saw even more caution in joshuas approach and makes the wilder fight looks like more of a KO for wilder. Makes you wonder whether whyte would have won the fight.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    AJ to face that hard puunchin' Yank? yikes.....over in under two rounds
    tae be or not tae be