Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited August 2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    so, what do we reckon about Eubank Jr? I'm not convinced he's that good and I think Smith will probably do him again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited August 2023
    Their 1st fight was stopped in the 4th round. I didn’t want to see a rematch tbh, but it’s almost here (this Saturday night).

Eubank Jr. has done the old ‘lost the fight & switched trainers’ routine & now has Brian "BoMac" McIntrye, who trains Terence Crawford. Main difference being Crawford is an extremely talented guy & Eubank Jr. has more athletic ability than boxing ability.

I can’t see a different result than a Smith win tbh. Maybe a later stoppage (Round 9/10) or a convincing points win.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Both fighters have proven not to be world class, both lost to all the top fighters they have faced (very aged Abraham etc aside) and neither really have a great win.  Eubank didn't look chinny so I'm not sure what happened first fight.  

I think Smith probably will win it again but no result would surprise me.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    have loads of time for his old man, but would love to see smith do another, perhaps more spectacular punishing one on the stupid little tw@ that is eubunk jnr. Utter cockfield.

Skill wise, never been that impressed with either. Eubanks best performance was against BJS, who i rate as a fighter and he lost. Seen jnr get very reckless when things dont go his way, like a spoilt brat. Smith more level headed and should do it. I will be proper miffed if jnr wins especially if its a specacular KO.

One of the fights i do really want to see is benn vs jnr. Hope and think benn absolutely murders him over 6 and have been really impressed in benns recent fights.

Fight should be called loud mouth Scouser vs a fucking tw@, which pretty much sums up the occasion. ppv my arse.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    swiller said:
    have loads of time for his old man,
    Not sure what to make of him tbh, not having met him in person. He was one of my favourite boxers back when boxing was good and not the bag of shite it is today. However, he does seem to come over as a complete div a lot of the time. I watched that reality thing, set in total darkness and he did himself zero favours in that. He was a plank of the highest degree.

Eubank Sr has a lot of chips on his shoulder for sure.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I’ve met snr a few times, absolutely off his rocker. 

Smith wins again for me, but after the whole homophobic taunting before the last fight I’d rather see Jr win, not that I particularly like him
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited August 2023
    Can’t remember if I told the story on here before but it’s a good one :-).  I was boxing at the Grovenor House Hotel in London about 20 years ago and Eubank Sr just walked in off this street in full riding gear unannounced and wandered into the dressing rooms .

He saw me getting gloved up and came over and chatted then had me punch his hands and move around a bit while he gave me a few pointers.

No cameras no press , just an eccentric boxing nut enjoying himself . He is bananas for sure but of the best sort 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    if you like watching fights and appreciate heart, determination, action etc.... Last fight of the channel 5 program last night was way better than anything i have seen on PPV since fury wilder 3. A superb non stop slugfest and great camera angles close up. Antwi vs Cartwright for the british super welterweight title.
    Just goes to show that like music the most popular in the spotlight stuff is sub par to the real proper stuff further down the pecking order.
    Well worth a watch. Kind of like a barrera morales UK version.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swiller said:
    if you like watching fights and appreciate heart, determination, action etc.... Last fight of the channel 5 program last night was way better than anything i have seen on PPV since fury wilder 3. A superb non stop slugfest and great camera angles close up. Antwi vs Cartwright for the british super welterweight title.
    Just goes to show that like music the most popular in the spotlight stuff is sub par to the real proper stuff further down the pecking order.
    Well worth a watch. Kind of like a barrera morales UK version.
    Good fights indeed, Antwi v Mason was great, bit too much showboating from Antwi but he deserved a win. Cartwright was a real fighter.
    Great camera angles? It was driving me mad and I thought whole production was bit tacky - reminded me about going to my mates mma down Bournemouth on Saturday nights... "pundits" were also difficult to listen to, but overall I enjoyed it very much. 
    Antwi is quite a boxer.
  • Yeah it was a decent fight Mason just didn’t stop trying, took a fair bit of punishment and was unlucky not to see the cards. Lyndon Arthur did well in his bout. That body shot was perfect and got him out of jail.
  • As far as tonight is concerned Smith by decision but wouldn’t be too shocked if Jr does something special.

Curious to see what Dave Allen has left. Frazer Clarke hasn’t set the world alight professionally yet…can Big Dave spoil the party!?
    If it goes distance tonight, have eubunk a big favourite. But think and hope smith wins it by KO similar to last time. Be cautious, learn the opponent first few rounds then take opportunities is what smith has to do. Eubunk has to penetrate the defence of smith and lose the cockiness if he stands any chance. But scorecard wise, eubunk was up before ko in last fight.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    edited September 2023
    Some good scraps tonight, my heart says benn, my brain says the mexican. They breed em different over there.
    Ziang for a repeat win i have. He is a tough nut to crack.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Oh dear. Joyce never looked like he was in the fight.
  • Dodge said:
    Oh dear. Joyce never looked like he was in the fight.
    I know Joyce is very limited but Zhang looks like the real deal . Really fast hands for a huge bloke and good combinations too. Will any of the top 3 want to fight him ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Even for him, Joyce looked bad tonight. He lacked confidence and his only game plan seemed to be move to your left so you don't get clocked with a big left. I like Joyce, he seems like a decent bloke, but tonight's bout lookeded like a mismatch. It was worse than the first fight, almost a rookie vs a seasoned pro.

Zhang has looked good so far. I'm not convinced he'd be so successful against a master mover like Usyk, but I'm also not sure how much damage Usyk could ever do to him. I reckon the Ukrainian would beat him on points. I can see Zhang stopping AJ. Zhang vs Fury is probably the most intriguing match up. It'll probably never happen though given Fury's stupid games and focus purely on money, which is a real shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    For me, Zhang beats AJ and Wilder, maybe Usyk and Ruiz, but not Fury. Fury's a PITA and I think he's pretty much retired - He'll regret not making that fight with Usyk.

I like Joyce so tonight was a shame, but he looked really awkward.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Schnozz said:
    For me, Zhang beats AJ and Wilder, maybe Usyk and Ruiz, but not Fury. Fury's a PITA and I think he's pretty much retired - He'll regret not making that fight with Usyk.

I doubt he beats Usyk. I think Wilder stops him even if Zhang dominates the fight. The guy is ultimately quite slow compared to the likes of Fury and Usyk, not a huge amount of urgent movement going on there. I've seen snails move quicker than these two did last night.

Fury beats him easily but that fight probably won't get made either. 
    Schnozz said:

I agree Fury has to be counted out as he continually refuses to fight any credible challengers. I think Zhang has a good chance against AJ but is no certainty and I suspect Usyk beats him. 
  • Schnozz said:

I doubt he beats Usyk. I think Wilder stops him even if Zhang dominates the fight. The guy is ultimately quite slow compared to the likes of Fury abs Usyk, not a huge amount of urgent movement going on there. I've seen snails move quicker than these two did last night.

Fury beats him easily but that fight probably won't get made either. 
    I tend to agree with this. I think Joyce made him look good in both bouts. Zhang is a decent fighter, he looks heavy handed but having downed Hrgovic in the 1st they went the full tired 12 rounds and he lost. He’s also 40 so doesn’t have time on his side.  

I’d still like to see Zhang in against any of those mentioned as he’s dangerous and will probably make entertaining fights in what is currently a stalled heavyweight scene. Fury is a disgrace to the sport and should vacate.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    If this and the talked about Joshua v Wilder fight gets made that would make up for the constant lack of proper fights in the division.  If any of them ever actually fight of course!
  • Dodge said:
    It’s probably true - after all the King of contradiction has told every interviewer over the last few weeks he’s not fighting him.
    heard it all before re fury signing a fight. The whole fury lie machine of recent years has completely taken the shine off the event even if it does go ahead. Totally bored with fury. Think joshua would pan him into next week. 
    Perhaps on the same night of dec 23, id rather watch eubank benn live that the undisputed hw fight. Just catch it on youtube a few days later.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Canelo Alvarez vs Jermell Charlo

I think Canelo will just prove too strong for Charlo and eventually the big body shots will wear him down in about Round 9.10,11 (odds 18/1, 20/1, 22/1)

Steve Bunce suggests in his column that Charlo will win in the last (80/1). So I will also have a little on that.

Not sure what others think about the article, but it reads like it was written in a rush (or drunk!). Very poorly written IMO. I think he's suggesting time is going to catch up with Canelo at some stage and it could be this fight. Goes off on tangents about the boss of PBC, his twin brother, and both Canelo and Charlo being boy fighters who are only just meeting, but eventually gets to his verdict.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/66959850

• The article is ok. 

I think Bunce is suggesting a points win for Charlo not a 12th KO?

• Quite a measured article for Bunce - I enjoyed it . I have Charlo to win as the odds are good and Canelo does seem to be taking a few more punches than he used to . As SB said , you get old very suddenly in boxing , sometimes halfway through a fight !
    hats off to both of them for taking these challenges. Hopefully a good fight.

Canelo for me easily because..
    • Never been knocked down at any weight he has fought at. Think people forget that.
    • Used to fighting at heavier weights than opponent
    • Pedigree of opponents.
    Im with shrews here, late stoppage by canelo, seems the sensible view.
    Charlo susceptible to the counter and canelo is a genius at that and hits very hard to the body. 
    Not betting, but if i was think canelo fucks him up proper and it wont go over 8 rounds.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • I think we have to have a lot of respect for Alvarez. He is one of those increasingly rare type of fighters these days who I believe does take on difficult challenges. It's become accepted for modern fighters to public acknowledge not taking some fights that maybe 'don't make sense business wise'..... Canelo is not one of those fighters imo. 

Obviously Charlo is the naturally bigger fighter and last time he fought at this weight he struggled. But I think Bivol is a much much better fighter than Charlo. I know it can be said of most fighters but Charlo has not been in the ring with some as experienced and rounded as Alvarez. 

I think we can all think of fighters or fights we've watched when it appears Father Time has suddenly caught up with some one.... I can think of fighters who suddenly seem to have aged drastically in-between performances and maybe that could happen tonight but I dont think so. 

I think Canelo believes he can beat Bivol and getting Charlo's strap will increase the possibility of a rematch. Charlo is both quick and powerful but his game is nowhere near as rounded as Canelo's. 

What do people think would happen in Eubanks Jnr and Benn fought? I think it's an intriguing fight. and like their old men - an intuiting clash of styles and personalties. I'd never seen the Mexican fighter Benn fought last week before so it was hard to take too much from it. His attack and defence looked pretty limited but he seemed to be able to really take a shot......the point I am making is that Eubank Jnr can take a shot and certainly has a better defence than the Mexican kid and he has a more varried and subtle attack. Eubank can counter and fight off the back foot which may suit fighting Benn - I am not sure he has the power to stop Benn coming forward...... Benn hasn't been in with anyone as experienced as Eubanks Jnr. I think it's a good domestic/european level fight and if promoted right should earn them both a good nights pay. Neither of those kids are in the same league as their fathers. 

I am looking forward to Catterall Linares later in October - that should be a really good fight. 

Inoue and Shakur Stevenson are both fighting before the year is out as well - two really great fighters. Inoue is out of the bag now but he was slept on for a long time. He is a terrifying fighter. I cant see him loosing any time soon.