Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boxing thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 861
    edited August 2022
    For a harsh perspective, aside from beating Klitschko past his prime, AJ has a record that’s on a par with Frank Bruno. 

If I recall, Bruno won all but one of his first 20 fights by stoppage and then lost to Bonecrusher Smith. I think if AJ fought Bruno at that point in Frank’s career, it would be a very close fight and what’s more, if AJ fought any of the guys Bruno lost to when they were in their prime, (Lewis, Tyson, Witherspoon and Smith) he would likely have also lost. 

That’s why I always see him as a modern day Frank Bruno but with more hype. I do like him, just don’t really rate him. 

As mentioned by others AJ has no footwork and lacks stamina, especially after being tagged. He’s not particularly ring smart but he has offered many a great night of entertainment.

Perhaps he’s not really fought a lot of quality just because these days it’s all about protecting a record. Unfortunately, this sport is in trouble because of the lack of actual fighting.
    It makes it hard for him to have the chance to prove the doubters like me wrong if he can’t get the big high quality opponent occasions.

I think Usyk needs to make a massive error to lose this. I’m looking forward to watching and being proved wrong!

I also think Wilder and Fury would beat either of these 2, making this fight a scrap between 3rd and 4th in the world in my view. Wilder Usyk would be good to watch! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    edited August 2022
    I'm not so sure Wilder is much of a boxer either - heck of a puncher, but Fury had him all three times, outclassed.
    Such a shame Fury seems intent on packing it in. I think he's another couple of years in him. He could clear the lot up.

Bruno vs AJ - good comparison. I agree, spot on there mate. Tbh, I think Bruno was better than he gets credit for really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Wow two thundering knockouts so far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited August 2022
    Decided not to buy but to go the other way, almost certain that I'll miss the main but I think and hope that AJ will be too strong, too big and throw too many hard shots to get the decision/stoppage.

Lots writing him off but you don't win a gold at the olympics being shit, he's had some tough fights and avoided no-one, plus Usyk is definitely not Holyfield.
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    munckee said:
    Blinked and missed them!

First controversial decision of the night? My viewing was interrupted by my sister calling but looked like Popeye was on top? 
    stevebrum said:
    munckee said:
    Blinked and missed them!

First controversial decision of the night? My viewing was interrupted by my sister calling but looked like Popeye was on top? 
    It was close but Popeye should have won by a round or two for me. 

Looking forward to Callum smith. 
    edited August 2022
    Yeah looking forward to seeing how far he can go at LHW.

Imagine coming from the Smith family! 
    Strewth bauderlique has a strong chin. Great win for smith. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Wow!
    Must be getting closer just about to have the nachos!!!

what do you call cheese that’s not yours?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Adams?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    Adams?
    My names Adam so I would call cheese that is my cheese Adam’s. 
    munckee said:
    Strewth bauderlique has a strong chin. Great win for smith. 
    Looking at the list of LHW you’d struggle to see Smith winning a world title or dominating it but interesting fights. 
    Robbery is a bit strong but Zhang surely won that, even without the knockdown. 
    edited August 2022
    munckee said:
    Robbery is a bit strong but Zhang surely won that, even without the knockdown. 
    Yeah strange fight - his inactivity in the second half and some generous rounds to Hrgovic early on is the only way you can reach that decision.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    AJ not doing enough but looks more comfortable than the first fight 
    Needs a big round but better than the first 
    Liking this from Joshua , he’s picked up the pace and pressuring usyk. Problem is he’s leaving himself open to uysks lightning counters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Josh no gas
    tae be or not tae be
    Starting got drift away from Joshua. Needs to hurt usyk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Usyk growing into this now. Think he’ll start pushing harder here 

AJ needed to have him out early on I’d say and he hasn’t done that. He’ll be gassing out before long. Massive advantage for Usyk now unless AJ can land some serious blows 
    Much better fight by AJ but lost to a better fighter , at least AJ went for it
    Don't listen tae a word about Fury and retirement..........the lure of all those belts/titles is too much and playin' hard tae get ups the prices
    tae be or not tae be
  • One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
    AJ’s lost it! 
  • That was better from AJ tonight.

Many calling for him to fight Wilder now and say he’d beat him if he boxes like he did tonight. Imho Wilder smashes him to pieces 
  • One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
    Should have his license revoked. English or not there’s no place for judging that bad. Boxing still riddled with it 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    stevebrum said:
    AJ’s lost it! 
     :# me the entire time. He's such a tosser.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
    Should have his license revoked. English or not there’s no place for judging that bad. Boxing still riddled with it 
    It’s an ongoing problem with judges from all over the world.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter