Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Are You Listening To Now ? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    Grace Potter. About whom I know very little but amazing voice and has made blues, rock, country, pop. I've been listening to random choons but she released a new album in 2023 so I should give that a spin. 
    Funnily enough I happened to see a video of her playing a cover of Cortez the Killer (with Joe Satriani on guitar) earlier this evening.  Don't think I've ever heard her before, although I know she had a signature Flying V for a while.

That's where I originally knew her name from although she looks about thirty years younger on that so presumably it's an old clip. Satriani is interesting, as I remember it, as he tries to play in the spirit of the original but can't quite help going widdly widdly at times. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Discovered Keith Jarrett a while back. This one gets a lot of play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZhTwoO0Fd8&t=11s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    edited September 2023
    Chris Cornell acoustic... seasons and black hole sun... 

And @JezWynd , that's a fantastic Jarrett album!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Deadman you reminded me of how much I love The Wicker Man ... not just the Britt Ekland scenes (BTW it's not her doing the nuddy dance) but also the locations, which I know well and since childhood.

Thanks for posting :+1: 

• Been listening to a lot of Chris Buck over the last week ... never really took much heed previously but I'm now smitten by his tone and playing style, in fact a Revstar is now currently numero uno on my acquisition list.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    stufisher said:
    @Deadman you reminded me of how much I love The Wicker Man ... not just the Britt Ekland scenes (BTW it's not her doing the nuddy dance) but also the locations, which I know well and since childhood.

@stufisher I'm just glad to be sharing with likeminded people. @Philly_Q is a big fan too.

I’ve got a hankering for watching the film again now (wonder why?)  it’s been a few years.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020 said:
    This week i'm mostly listening to fellow Dorsetarian PJ Harvey. To quote someone else, her singing voice "is an ambassador for the libido", and her back catalogue is as good as or better than anyone who's been making music consistently for the past 30 years.

Here's an outrageous performance of Rid of Me (and some other stuff) from I think 2001?. "Lick my legs", indeed. Enjoy.

I am currently playing guitar for a young lady with similar levels of talent. I hope she achieves her goals..,’cos bloody hell, she deserves it 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Deadman said:
    stufisher said:
    @Deadman you reminded me of how much I love The Wicker Man ... not just the Britt Ekland scenes (BTW it's not her doing the nuddy dance) but also the locations, which I know well and since childhood.

@stufisher I'm just glad to be sharing with likeminded people. @Philly_Q is a big fan too.

I’ve got a hankering for watching the film again now (wonder why?)  it’s been a few years.
    50th anniversary this year.  And 4K disc release coming soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Just incredible, in every way and one of my biggest regrets is never seeing this man play live. I know there are some Love fans on here, this is for you:

https://youtu.be/19l1J8S3HJc?si=ZK8XAUl5S86wNroB
  • Swiss trance merchants Adriatique. Very nice textures and beats.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    edited September 2023
    JezWynd said:

Great Album. I especially love the first track.
     I've had the good fortune to have seen him play live - I think it was 10 years ago at The Festival Hall. 

• This is my current earworm thanks to Bob Harris last week

https://spotify.link/9FHacujkoDb
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Recent vinyl spins

Bolt Thrower - Cenotaph 12"
    Sunbomb - Evil or Devine ( @Philly_Q have you heard this?)
    Drain - California Cursed
    Deep Purple _ In Rock
    Mercy - Swedish Metal
    Lost Breed - Wino Daze
    Rob Base and DJ E Z Rock - It takes 2 12"
  • HoofHoof Frets: 483
    Currently rotating:

Baroness - Stone 
    Kverlatak - Endling
    Empire State Bastard - Rivers Of Heresy
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    stufisher said:
    This is my current earworm thanks to Bob Harris last week

https://spotify.link/9FHacujkoDb
    I love Bros Osborne.  Saw them at The Roundhouse a year or so ago and they were absolutely fantastic.
    JezWynd said:

Great Album. I especially love the first track.
     I've had the good fortune to have seen him play live - I think it was 10 years ago at The Festival Hall. 

Yeah, the first side is so good I never got around to the other three for quite a while. Side 3 is perfect late night listening, while side 1 is start the day music.

Currently bingeing Robert Wyatt…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Wss9RHi_Q

Reverend said:

@Reverend I haven't... and hadn't heard of it either, or if I had I'd forgotten.  Although on paper it looks like the kind of thing I might like, I've never been a fan of either Stryper or L.A. Guns.  But I'll give it a go if you recommend it!

@Hoof thanks for the reminder that there's a new Kvelertak album. :)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

@Reverend I haven't... and hadn't heard of it either, or if I had I'd forgotten.  Although on paper it looks like the kind of thing I might like, I've never been a fan of either Stryper or L.A. Guns.  But I'll give it a go if you recommend it!

@Hoof thanks for the reminder that there's a new Kvelertak album. :)
    its less hollywood hair metal, more epic doom metal. Think Candlemass and Sorceror
    edited September 2023
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

@Hoof thanks for the reminder that there's a new Kvelertak album.
    its less hollywood hair metal, more epic doom metal. Think Candlemass and Sorceror
    OK, that sounds promising.

Edit:  Yes, it's interesting, and very "different" considering who's involved.  Almost reminded me of Fifth Angel a couple of times.  I'm not sure I like Sweet's voice, but it's hard to judge on first listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQKjffxIOY

The descending violin and bass riff at 4min approx is so addictive.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Traindodge. A bit Rival Schools meets Torche but very much their own thing. Post hardcore without any growling or screaming.

And Dirge, who are chugtastic.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    And for a bit of contrast, I finally remembered that Kite Hill is by D*Note, not u-ziq. Which is why I couldn't find it.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • The Genesis OGWT concert from 1980 on BBC4.

I find it a bit odd. The band were stuck musically and visually in full prog mode with no apparent concession to times having moved on. Which is either brilliant or terrible and they had an audience but maybe painted themselves into a corner of being a bit of a cult act (in the UK). I like the slightly later poppier stuff and all these epic choons with drum fills that last two minutes just meld into background noise for me. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Russian krautrock/psych/whatever band from Perm, Ural, now residing in Slovenia. One of better discoveries from recent years

Today I had a listen to some Greta Van Fleet albums (which are OK), and then for some reason I decided to listen to a couple of Pete Way's old bands - Fastway (which he quit to join Ozzy's band for about five minutes) and Waysted (who I saw supporting Dio in 1983).  Both pretty dreadful, in retrospect.
  • Mark Kozelek was the king back in the day

edited October 2023