Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Are You Listening To Now ? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    Gravedancer, after seeing him command an audience and just about make me cry with just him in tow, despite the pissed/coked up students who can't hold it, he's really very good and genuine and a bit more up to date than Townes Van Zandt but more or less the same old recycled mumbo jumbo but probably a bit more upbeat than Townes or anyone and I appreciate that he really seems to love it, despite himself and his lack of perfection and perfect rhythm and modern country covers.  All encouraging and not too complicated, just how music should be.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I saw Rival Schools at the Electric Ballroom last weekend and have tickets to Quicksand later in the year, so am on a real Walter Schreifels trip...

Rival Schools:

and Quicksand:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    Mammal Hands - Gift from the Trees

Jazz three piece with a strong Steve Reich influence.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Last Dinner Party.
    Anyone seen them live? 
    Look pretty good on YT
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm sorry

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Gillian Welch

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Using the release of a Deluxe Edition remaster to give a second chance to a band that I summarily abandoned in 1988.

Seasons End - Marillion
    Some very high quality tracks on that album 
    Lashings of Roland D-50 synthesizer all over the album. 

Some songs remind me of Mike + The Mechanics, latterday Talk Talk and/or solo Mark Hollis. Rothery's Fripp/Gilmour/Hackett/Latimer lead guitar stylings bring everything back to definitely being Marillion.

The Deluxe Edition bonus material includes two different documentaries during which many of the same stories are recounted. One phenomenon that I can not explain is that I find 2023 Hogarth a perfectly affable chap but 1998 Hogarth off-putting. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    Nobody does it like Gram

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Sambostar said:
    Gravedancer, after seeing him command an audience and just about make me cry with just him in tow, despite the pissed/coked up students who can't hold it, he's really very good and genuine and a bit more up to date than Townes Van Zandt but more or less the same old recycled mumbo jumbo but probably a bit more upbeat than Townes or anyone and I appreciate that he really seems to love it, despite himself and his lack of perfection and perfect rhythm and modern country covers.  All encouraging and not too complicated, just how music should be.

Cool find, like this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s1Uemp7vLA

Reminds of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NACMpkxm-fA
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The Physicals

Short lived post punk band who, I think, were the support at the first big gig I ever went to (Thin Lizzy) and had Paul Cook ( ex Sex Pistols) as their drummer for a short while. Paul produced and drummed on a couple of their recorded tracks. It’s also Paul’s birthday today which ties it all in. I don’t think any of the band members went onto fame and fortune but perfectly fine rock of its era. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    My daughter got me into King Krule, I was swayed after I heard he was a Damned fan:

https://youtu.be/cYmsLmZYIXg
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Vintage65 said:
    Nobody does it like Gram

I'm an absolutely massive GP/FBB fan.  Just sublime music.  Still convinced he wrote Wild Horses :-)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Working my way through The Dirtbombs output, I love it, Mick is a much underated guy and a champion of shitty Teisco fuzzy guitars.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    I seem to be going down a bit of a Steven Wilson rabbit hole at the moment - he'd strangely never pinged on my radar before so there's quite a lot to get through, then there's all the collaborations and various musicians he's worked with so I'll branch off down their pipe for a bit - saw the clip of Guthrie Govan's solo on 'Regret #9' and it started there.

It's very pleasurable though - I really like how he writes. It's how I'd like to write - has musicality, good melodies, will happily get heavy with some superb playing. Just need to develop my musicality, melodies and playing... lots...
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    Offset said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Nobody does it like Gram
    I'm an absolutely massive GP/FBB fan.  Just sublime music.  Still convinced he wrote Wild Horses :-)
    Either that, or he influenced Keef to write it 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    A Guitarist I'd never listened to before, although I did know his name.

Ladies and Gen'men.......................Mr Danny Gatton.

What a wonderful talent, I listened to a lot more after hearing this.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Great video ;)

Gets the blood pumping.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    My 7 year old saying 'I cant sleep' , he's gonna be grumpy chops tomorrow!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Today I am rather liking the disjointed, spiky but fluid solo in this  
    Starts just after 2m 10s.
    edited August 2023
    https://youtu.be/PJn8Q4BXxWk

I live in a cucumber castle, on the bank of a cranberry sea…
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Since seeing Rick Beato's breakdown of this solo, I have been reliving my love of Journey this week.

It is beautiful.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.