Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Are You Listening To Now ? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649

finally got a physical copy of the first Solitude Aeternus demo. Not Rob Lowe's majestic vocal delivery but there iw a rough charm to these versions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited September 2023
    Bon Jovi on BBC4. Some vocal struggling going on and no Phil X (I’m sure Ritchie is more interesting to fans but I like Phil X).

Got better although I wasn’t sure why they seemed ashamed of their bassist. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Bon Jovi on BBC4. Some vocal struggling going on and no Phil X (I’m sure Ritchie is more interesting to fans but I like Phil X).

@EricTheWeary I'm assuming it's an old show?  Unless they've got Richie back and I hadn't heard about it.  I'm not a big Phil X fan, but he's a talented chap and totally wasted in Bon Jovi.

The bass player thing is weird, Hugh McDonald was in the band for 22 years before they made him an official member.  For some reason they didn't want to officially replace Alec John Such, but he was never going to come back (and he certainly won't now, RIP).
  • Philly_Q said:

@EricTheWeary I'm assuming it's an old show?  Unless they've got Richie back and I hadn't heard about it.  I'm not a big Phil X fan, but he's a talented chap and totally wasted in Bon Jovi.

The bass player thing is weird, Hugh McDonald was in the band for 22 years before they made him an official member.  For some reason they didn't want to officially replace Alec John Such, but he was never going to come back (and he certainly won't now, RIP).
    Looked it up, 2014, I’d assumed it was recent. Hugh was up the back, largely out of shot. There was a second guitarist who at least got to stand near the front. It was all quite lacklustre. Wikipedia says Ritchie left in 2013 which is a bit confusing, but presumably this was one of his last shows with the band. 
    When I was a student I had a friend who was a big Bon Jovi fan so I remember all that eighties stuff but this was more the ‘poor man’s Bruce Springsteen’ side of them. 
    When I was a student I had a friend who was a big Bon Jovi fan so I remember all that eighties stuff but this was more the ‘poor man’s Bruce Springsteen’ side of them. 
    That's the only side they've had for ooh, 35 years now.  But I'd say they're more like the poor man's Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes... so they're the poor man's poor man’s Bruce Springsteen.  I'm tempted to watch it to see if I can smell the tension with Richie.
  • Philly_Q said:
    That's the only side they've had for ooh, 35 years now.  But I'd say they're more like the poor man's Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes... so they're the poor man's poor man’s Bruce Springsteen.  I'm tempted to watch it to see if I can smell the tension with Richie.
    They do a couple of fist bumps and look fine, part of why I thought it was more recent. Although Ritchie looked pale and Jon has what MrsTheWeary would describe as a Resting Bitch Face. 
    Someone on here was recently asking about how to get the Living on a Prayer guitar sound, the answer seems to be turn it into a turgid acoustic number which involves no reaching for high notes. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    They do a couple of fist bumps and look fine, part of why I thought it was more recent. Although Ritchie looked pale and Jon has what MrsTheWeary would describe as a Resting Bitch Face. 
    Someone on here was recently asking about how to get the Living on a Prayer guitar sound, the answer seems to be turn it into a turgid acoustic number which involves no reaching for high notes. 
    You've sold me, I have to watch this.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ @EricTheWeary I've just watched the show.  It says at the beginning it was recorded on 24 January 2013, which explains Richie (and Hugh, who was still unofficial at that stage). 

It's the first time I've heard some of the "new" songs, on the whole they're even more awful than I could've possibly imagined... there were one or two I liked though.   For some reason all the rockier "greatest hits" seem really lacklustre in this show, even when they're not being played as turgid acoustic arrangements - maybe the band felt constrained by the "intimate" setting.  

JBJ's voice is a little bit ropey here but it's much, much worse nowadays.  And watching this, he's aged quite a lot in the last decade, he's totally grey now and looks even more like Eric Roberts.  Richie's pretty handy on the backup vocals, I must say, but I'm sure the current lineup has that covered too.
  • Philly_Q said:
    ^^ @EricTheWeary I've just watched the show.  It says at the beginning it was recorded on 24 January 2013, which explains Richie (and Hugh, who was still unofficial at that stage). 

It's the first time I've heard some of the "new" songs, on the whole they're even more awful than I could've possibly imagined... there were one or two I liked though.   For some reason all the rockier "greatest hits" seem really lacklustre in this show, even when they're not being played as turgid acoustic arrangements - maybe the band felt constrained by the "intimate" setting.  

JBJ's voice is a little bit ropey here but it's much, much worse nowadays.  And watching this, he's aged quite a lot in the last decade, he's totally grey now and looks even more like Eric Roberts.  Richie's pretty handy on the backup vocals, I must say, but I'm sure the current lineup has that covered too.
    Ahh, I think I missed the first two minutes and it was ‘on’ rather than being watched intently. Yes Ritchie’s voice was good, they probably should have made more of it. 
  • Buck Meek (from Big Thief) new album. Saw them the other night in Glasgow, him and his band were brilliant.

https://youtu.be/njKwzygKaRY?si=NUJyPWMFzE5B5cbw 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm listening to the new Soen album this morning. It's fab. Great combination of some heavy riffing, but with a much more Gilmour like approach to guitar solos than you normally expect in metal. Some really beautiful playing.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Just revisiting some John Grant stuff

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Chic. Just bought a PA system. Testing it. Nothing sounds better. Those Bob Clearmountain mixes are pure genius 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited September 2023
    Latest track from Mannequin Pussy

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Mastodon 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited September 2023
    New tune from Wednesday guitarist MJ Lenderman

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649

late 70s US metal. For fans of  early Rush, early Scorpions, Ashbury, early Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    The Damned with a rendition of Street of dreams, 1986. I tried and failed to get to this gig and had to make do with Newcastle City Hall, same year. It was awesome all the same for a 16 year old just finding his feet in this big bad world.

https://youtu.be/NOwcRvATr3g?si=39ChyUC0Wy_BJCiO
    I play at my dining room table.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    The Pretenders Live 
  • Never ceases to amaze me this stuff

https://spotify.link/xhzceurfaDb
    edited September 2023
    The wicker man original soundtrack. With some red wine, chilli con carne and a bit of rain outside.
    Deadman said:
    The wicker man original soundtrack. With some red wine, chilli con carne and a bit of rain outside.
    Wow, cool.  Love those corn rigs.
  • Grace Potter. About whom I know very little but amazing voice and has made blues, rock, country, pop. I've been listening to random choons but she released a new album in 2023 so I should give that a spin. 
    Grace Potter. About whom I know very little but amazing voice and has made blues, rock, country, pop. I've been listening to random choons but she released a new album in 2023 so I should give that a spin. 
    Funnily enough I happened to see a video of her playing a cover of Cortez the Killer (with Joe Satriani on guitar) earlier this evening.  Don't think I've ever heard her before, although I know she had a signature Flying V for a while.

Meanwhile, I have been watching videos of people playing cover versions of Judas Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death.  I quite often go "cover-surfing" on YouTube.
  • Having caught a ‘megamix’ of Soft Cell on late-night radio recently, I felt the need to revisit their song Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

A classic, IMO

edited September 2023
    Who doesn’t love a bit of Kyuss, and especially ‘Catamaran’.

https://youtu.be/qnTW7yqtyxk?si=54m4VfNufi4xEiLb