Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• GarsingGarsing Frets: 21
    Morning all. In celebration of these cool guitars, I have a 2017 R8 in lemon for sale in the classifieds https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/178368/fs-2017-gibson-r8-les-paul-lemon-burst-vos#latest , for balance there is also a nice one on ebay right now (not sure I can post ebay links but you'll find it). Happy Gibsunday all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GarsingGarsing Frets: 21
    Morning all. In celebration of these cool guitars, I have a 2017 R8 in lemon for sale in the classifieds https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/178368/fs-2017-gibson-r8-les-paul-lemon-burst-vos#latest , for balance there is also a nice one on ebay right now (not sure I can post ebay links but you'll find it). Happy Gibsunday all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Barnezy said:
    Yeah got a lovely top. Doesn't look like lemon to me though
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    roberty said:
    Barnezy said:
    no I thought that, nice bit of figure but ice tea perhaps?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    roberty said:
    Barnezy said:
    no I thought that, nice bit of figure but ice tea perhaps?
    Yeah deffinately ice tea. What's the colouring up the middle though? Not seen that before. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Boromedic said:
    I've got a 99 Standard and a 2017 R8, there is a difference between the 2 guitars but most of that is because of the true historic spec.

I changed the bridge and tailpiece on my Standard for Faber parts, they now sound closer to each other but the pickups are too different to really compare. Personally they both feel as well put together as the other, so neither feels of higher quality, in fact the lacquer on the Standard feels very slightly better to me but that's the VOS thing I guess. The only real tangible difference is the weight, the R8 is a good half a kilo lighter. 

The R8 is a magic guitar, sounds exactly like how I'd expect the classic 58s and 59s to, it's really amazing in that sense. My Standard is currently being rewired with 50's wiring and PAF style pickups so that will be cool to see how close it is in the end. That being said, I love the Standard and it plays more or less the same. 

I guess my answer to your question in the end, is wait for a 2017 R8 to show up, £2.1 - £2.5k seems to be the going rate, however a well made standard is not a bad choice either!

Good luck with your search, please update us with whatever you get!

Tell me this doesn't look as good:

As this! :

I have to say in that light, the VOS finish looks almost worth the difference just by itself! Thank you for your measured insight though.
    Tim
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2020
    Shallower neck set angle is one the key benefits of Custom Shop over factory standards. Not tried a current Standard but it does make a big difference to the feel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Shallower neck set angle is one the key benefits of Custom Shop over factory standards. Not tried a current Standard but it does may big difference to the feel.

That depends on the individual guitar.  I had a 2010 R8 where the neck angle was far too steep.  The bridge was so high on the posts that it wasn't on properly and it was tillting under the force from the strings.  You could just get away with it if you had the action very low - lower than I would normally have it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    crunchman said:
    Shallower neck set angle is one the key benefits of Custom Shop over factory standards. Not tried a current Standard but it does may big difference to the feel.

That depends on the individual guitar.  I had a 2010 R8 where the neck angle was far too steep.  The bridge was so high on the posts that it wasn't on properly and it was tillting under the force from the strings.  You could just get away with it if you had the action very low - lower than I would normally have it.
    Yep, neck angles are all over the place on CS guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

Although they seem to be relatively consistent on this particular batch from what I've seen. 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1068
    I always come back to this thread hoping someone is announcing another blowout deal. Just makes me regret moving mine on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    edited April 2020
    Once upon a time CA neck angles were all over the place. I’ve played around 30 of the 2017 batch of R8 and R9s and they were consistently bang on.
    hyperben said:
    Once upon a time CA neck angles were all over the place. I’ve played around 30 of the 2017 batch of R8 and R9s and they were consistently bang on.

I think the newer ones are better than the ones from 10 or 15 years ago.  There is the whole "truss rod condom" thing to consider as well.  I don't know how much difference that makes, but the 50's guitars didn't have it, and the ones from the last few years don't have it.

My 2017 R9 is the best of the three CS Les Pauls I have owned.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    hyperben said:
    I've also played one or two ;) and didn't find this issue with any of them
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    johnl said:
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

Although they seem to be relatively consistent on this particular batch from what I've seen. 
    That's true - the ABR height tends to be nice and low on this batch.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    THIS THREAD CANNOT DIE.

Anyone got any lovely R8 pics?  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    THIS THREAD CANNOT DIE.

I'll be honest and say that it's been in its case for a while, but this week, I've played it non-stop and it's inspired me no end. The R8 into a JCM800 is a godly thing, just sounds perfect and is the source of endless inspiration. I'm back in love with mine, no doubt about it.

Lol's for the sticker being still on there!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Still got the one in my avatar.

Don't know if it's strictly on topic or not, but there was a similar blowout of ES335s around Feb 2018.  I bought this one:

It is absolutely superb.  Been playing it more than the Les Paul.

Not sure whether to keep the Les Paul, but now is probably not a good time to sell.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @crunchman I got the black VOS anchor stud bigsby 335 in that sale. I don't find it as comfortable as a Les Paul but it sounds huge so that's the one I've been using in my band. Can't get my head around Gibson closing the Memphis factory

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2020
    Anyone tried the 'Late 50s' special run LPs that Guitar Guitar have in? Significantly cheaper than the R8s/R9s.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    crunchman said:
    Still got the one in my avatar.

Don't know if it's strictly on topic or not, but there was a similar blowout of ES335s around Feb 2018.  I bought this one:

It is absolutely superb.  Been playing it more than the Les Paul.

Not sure whether to keep the Les Paul, but now is probably not a good time to sell.
    Dibs
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Hattigol said:
    THIS THREAD CANNOT DIE.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2020
    Sorry @tomajoha but this thread can't die....

R8s everybody! Who's still got them? Who's sold it and regretted it? Who's wanting to sell one? Who wants to put random pictures up of them?
  • SRichSRich Frets: 751
    The thread that keeps on giving............. ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Hattigol said:
    Sorry @tomajoha but this thread can't die....

R8s everybody! Who's still got them? Who's sold it and regretted it? Who's wanting to sell one? Who wants to put random pictures up of them?
    good call, it's high time another of these changed hands, original owners have had long enough now, come on give someone else a go
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thought about selling mine, then played it a bit, realised it sounds great and I effectively have an R9 with a plain top. Fantastic guitar! 
  • Barnezy said:
    Thought about selling mine, then played it a bit, realised it sounds great and I effectively have an R9 with a plain top. Fantastic guitar! 
    Absolutely. And I much prefer a plain top anyway!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Every time this thread is bumped I think there are new offers!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter