Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    I’ve seen anothe two go for £1800
    Blimey - bargains!  Where were they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited November 2018
    Whitecat said:
    Hattigol said:
    Whitecat said:
    ...there will be a short time when the second hand value is gonna be perceived at like, £1500.
    Dream on.

Will instead take advantage of the drubbing that the used R8 market is currently taking due to a massive influx of used 2017 R8 deal guitars. I’ve seen anothe two go for £1800
    Nearly there! D
    Getting close now

Two friends bagged cherry finish vos 2017 at 2K a piece outside eBay sales and another couple at £1800 on FB groups. 

I love my ice tea R8 I bagged in the deal so I’d much prefer another VOS and rude not to at the moment when there’s a pre crimbo price war going on 

Nearly every other day there’s another one being listed at the moment 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Why are people selling them!! They're lovely guitars! Mine's not going anywhere.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Why are people selling them!! They're lovely guitars! Mine's not going anywhere.
    Guitarists are weird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Getting close now

Two friends bagged cherry finish vos 2017 at 2K a piece outside eBay sales and another couple at £1800 on FB groups. 

I love my ice tea R8 I bagged in the deal so I’d much prefer another VOS and rude not to at the moment when there’s a pre crimbo price war going on 

Got any evidence/screenshots? Otherwise just sounds like an attempt at artificially deflating the market.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Whitecat said:
    Why are people selling them!! They're lovely guitars! Mine's not going anywhere.
    Guitarists are weird.
    I sold near enough everything else! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Getting close now

Got any evidence/screenshots? Otherwise just sounds like an attempt at artificially deflating the market.
    Might sound that way :) but @Fortheloveofguitar has a horse in this race, and it’s one that won’t benefit from a deflated market  ;)

No way I’m getting rid of mine. I enjoy them more every day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Guitarists are weird.
    Yup..

And I do include myself in that :)
    Having now seen a tobacco and dirty lemon in gloss finishes in person I’m out!

To me they look awful and much like my 2016 Standard where the top looked like a boiled sweet. Like it was covered in syrup 

Will instead take advantage of the drubbing that the used R8 market is currently taking due to a massive influx of used 2017 R8 deal guitars. I’ve seen anothe two go for £1800
    Do you happen to have a pic of one of them?
    This one was sold, collection only, on eBay for £1995:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-1958-Standard-Historic-Re-issue-2017/113346945472

Off eBay sales mentioned by word of mouth can't be substantiated so I would personally take them with a pinch of salt.  Links to the FB sales would help, otherwise the guitar sale above appears to be one off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited November 2018
    The comment 'nearly there' also suggests a misplaced belief that depreciation in guitars is linear. It isn't and just because one 'sold' (proof awaited) at £1,800 now doesn't mean it will ever get to £1,500.

I would say that this is probably peak time for selling them off. People will have had them a few months and may be regretting an impulse purchase. Christmas is looming and cash is tight.

I'd say £2k is the realistic price - as evidenced by that Ebay sale mentioned above. And as not evidenced by what seems to be a sale by a guy's mate's brother to a friend's uncle cat down the pub whilst on Facebook. Probably.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited November 2018

• hello members... 
    last June i moved from London to Miami due to work requirements, but i have been a big fan of peach since for ever.. last October i did a cheeky trip to London, and tried to see any deals at peach and nothing called my attention... however two days after my arrival to my new home i decided to peek again the site and i found this beautiful VOS R8 at $ 2,499, i couldn't believe my eyes, a custom shop VOS at that price? no way!.. and as my laptop IP shows US, the price was shown without VAT so you could imagine it was a no brainier... i did a bit of investigation about importing guitars, fees, taxes etc etc.. so after a couple of days i made my mind and purchased the last washed cherry VOS.. 

Will and Rob from Peach were amazing and truly helpful with all the process and paper work.. cannot thank them enough..
    Later on, i found this board and the discussion trend about Peach R8 VOS, and i read them all.. such a beautiful guitars you all got, and of course got me more anxious through time...After a bit of delay due to the CITES permissions and customs processes, last week i got my infamous R8 VOS washed cherry SN# 87273...joining my 2016 Standard T Tear burst, and my S-Type 50's Fraser surf green (not relic as i want to relic it myself)... pictures below

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    edited November 2018
    Guitar prices on Ebay are lowest in late January and through February.  I'd expect some R8s to reach possibly as low as £1750 then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2018
    Love it! Gorgeous R8. 

Especially happy that that the thread is once again alive with new r8s for members
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Juanfra3 said:
    hello members... 
    last June i moved from London to Miami due to work requirements, but i have been a big fan of peach since for ever.. last October i did a cheeky trip to London, and tried to see any deals at peach and nothing called my attention... however two days after my arrival to my new home i decided to peek again the site and i found this beautiful VOS R8 at $ 2,499, i couldn't believe my eyes, a custom shop VOS at that price? no way!.. and as my laptop IP shows US, the price was shown without VAT so you could imagine it was a no brainier... i did a bit of investigation about importing guitars, fees, taxes etc etc.. so after a couple of days i made my mind and purchased the last washed cherry VOS.. 

Will and Rob from Peach were amazing and truly helpful with all the process and paper work.. cannot thank them enough..
    Later on, i found this board and the discussion trend about Peach R8 VOS, and i read them all.. such a beautiful guitars you all got, and of course got me more anxious through time...After a bit of delay due to the CITES permissions and customs processes, last week i got my infamous R8 VOS washed cherry SN# 87273...joining my 2016 Standard T Tear burst, and my S-Type 50's Fraser surf green (not relic as i want to relic it myself)... pictures below

Welcome to the board mate. Beautiful guitar you have there
  • hello members... 

Beautiful! Congratulations. Did you have to pay import taxes on a US made product?
  • hello members... 

Beautiful! Congratulations. Did you have to pay import taxes on a US made product?
    thanks! very happy.. pictures actually do not do justice, i am afraid.

that was one of my main concerns, fortunately i did not pay any import taxes.
  • Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here - there is no argument that these are iconic guitars - but does anyone know why Gibson seems to have a warehouse full of unsold R8s?  The sell-off of their 2015 models made perfect sense, but  I can't understand why they are selling off R8s and R9s when they must be Gibson's most sought after models - as this 132 page thread proves!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here - there is no argument that these are iconic guitars - but does anyone know why Gibson seems to have a warehouse full of unsold R8s?  The sell-off of their 2015 models made perfect sense, but  I can't understand why they are selling off R8s and R9s when they must be Gibson's most sought after models - as this 132 page thread proves!
    Maybe it just explains why they ended up going into the chapter 11 bankruptcy? Hopefully the new boss will sort tings.. 
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    Rabs said:
    Maybe it just explains why they ended up going into the chapter 11 bankruptcy? Hopefully the new boss will sort tings.. 
    But why R8s and R9s? It is not as if they have been knocking out standards at half price to clear stocks and bring in some capital. Or perhaps they have and I just don't know about it!
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    But why R8s and R9s? It is not as if they have been knocking out standards at half price to clear stocks and bring in some capital. Or perhaps they have and I just don't know about it!
    Probably cos they charge such a premium for them in the first place that they can well afford to and still make money on them ? Donno really apart for £2500 seems to be the "right price" for a re-issue.. They want what three and a half grand plus for a guitar of that type, thats a pretty crazy price for any guitar.
  • Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited November 2018
    by the way.... the prices for these R8 in EEUU are in range of USD 4,999!.. a lot more than what you could get it in the UK..
    Rabs said:

They want what three and a half grand for a guitar of that type, thats a pretty crazy price for any guitar.
    Not really, there are plenty of guitars that cost as much or more.
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Rabs said:

They want what three and a half grand for a guitar of that type, thats a pretty crazy price for any guitar.
    Not really, there are plenty of guitars that cost as much or more.
    Doesnt mean they are worth it..  But people can buy and spend what they want.. No biggie.
    If people pay the price, then they're worth it  :)
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    If people pay the price, then they're worth it 
    Well ok, i cant argue that and wouldnt. But the components that make a guitar (wood and stuff) none are worth that much. Not even when you include the labour.

If as you say its worth it to an individual to have a guitar with vintage molecular level correct plastic bits, then thats up to them and their bank balance ( and maybe their wives )
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Rabs said:
    Because the original RRP was something insane like £5k. As a £2.5k guitar these are a no-brainer, but I doubt many people would go for a new £5k R8 over a second hand one for around half of that....
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    £4299 was the original RRP for the 2017 R8's I think.

How many actually sold at that price though I wonder?

and I have said it before, but I will say it again, for me a used one should be no more than £2k, meaning a 20% saving on what they were sold at, and will be again soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ''attempt at artificially deflating the market''

I don't really think i hold that much influence over the used R8 market lol.  The pics or it didn't happen argument is a little thin too

My personal opinion is exactly that., personal based on my first hand experience and interest witnessing people i know and FB sales based on the prices i quoted. I don't need to provide evidence for my own 'personal' interest in a market that i have watched closely over the past couple of months and seeing how many 2017 R8's have come and gone within the secondhand market and at what prices they sold for

I have no desire whatsoever to artificially deflate a market that i already have a stake in but equally won't be shouted down by people that i'm talking bollocks simply because they're in the market to sell theirs on and are feeling threatened by the current market conditions
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter