Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Newport, Llanwern steelworks, and back along the wetlands. The only climbing was a couple of railway bridges!

In other news, Geraint Thomas lost today’s Giro d’Italia time trial stage to overall favourite Remco Evenpoel by less than one second. Evenpoel has sadly tested positive for Covid-19 and has had to pull out. Thomas now in the lead going into Tuesday’s stage (rest day tomorrow).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    edited May 2023
    Week 7 of back to commuting - I think I'm ready to start training again. 

It felt wearisome at first but now just feels natural I don't think about driving in - If I have to it seems like I'm doing something wrong. 

It's good to be back

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Nikc ; good for you!

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mellish said:
    @Nikc ; good for you!

Thanks man  =)
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    Nikc said:
    Week 7 of back to commuting - I think I'm ready to start training again. 

It felt wearisome at first but now just feels natural I don't think about driving in - If I have to it seems like I'm doing something wrong. 

It's good to be back

Excellent.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    Rode The Suffolk Sunrise sportive this morning. 65 miler starting at Framlingham Castle. Building towards the Dunwich Dynamo in July.
    I’ll be checking Strava later because a couple of my clubmates are doing the Bryan Chapman Memorial Audax. They had a start time of 4am yesterday from Chepstow, then it’s up the length of Wales, cross the Menai bridge and get their card stamped in a car park opposite Waitrose, then back down. 600km. Their plan was to not take advantage of the couple of youth hostel booked for riders to have a short sleep. At least the weather is good for them!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That's a monster I think one of my club mates is riding that - qualifying for PBP (for the second time - last time he rode to Paris did PBP and then rode home - Nutter)
  • KoaKoa Frets: 111
    Did anyone ego to the Gralloch gravel race in Dumfries & Galloway? The Instagram feed looked pretty cool.
    Update - they did a shade over 600km in 24 hours and 4 minutes. Average speed of 24.6 km/h, which puts my club ride of 112km at 24.0km/h to shame!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    First day in the bike park this season... my daughter broke her shoulder in may last year on a very easy track, so today was a big day as she has not realky mentally recovered... bought her the new yt jeffsy primus 26 and it's a belter of a bike and very confidence inspiring.  

She had a good day on easy blues, so this was a big step forward for her
    @Teetonetal ; yep, good idea to get her back in the saddle...you know, conquer the demons.

I've been into stone walls, ditches and (on one occasion) a barbed wire fence o
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    @Mellish yup, although trying to keep it easy, low-key and pressure free. There is a lot of fear there for her, so keeping it relaxed and fun is essential!
  • How's the cycling going all? I've had a week off as I was away camping, but got up early this morning for a 12 miler before work. It was enjoyable, quiet roads, I think I'll do it more often, as it can be hard to find time in the evenings what with chores and family suppers etc!

My guitar gear GAS has gone, only to be replaced by bicycle GAS! I'm enjoying my Giant Defy, it's eight years old, with Shimano Tiagra, and I've upgraded the wheels to Mavik Kysriums.

But... I really do fancy a new, better bike and taking advantage of the cycle2work scheme. I've got my eye on the Giant Defy Advanced 1 or 2, Canyon Endurace CF7 or Ribble Endurance CF or R872 Disc. I'm certain I want an endurance bike.

Anyone with any experience of the above or other recommendations? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have always like the Defy, although I have theGiant Propel advanced, just put a 11-32 casette on as I struggled getting over a local(ish) hill, it didn't start until 30 miles into the ride, 4,300ft of elevation. Hope to do a few long hilly ones this year before I get too old    =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Had a nice ride around south Wales today:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vmqXwXWkPo6
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144

Impressive, especially in this heat. 

I did 80k with the club on Saturday but really struggled with the heat. 
    drofluf said:

Impressive, especially in this heat. 

I did 80k with the club on Saturday but really struggled with the heat. 

Well done guys, I did a 45 miler ( Ogmore ) loop. I juat put a 11-32  cassette on  which replaced my worn out 11-28, and the extra teeth made a big difference.
    edited June 2023
    @Jaycee ; I'm not quite understanding - a '"big difference" in a good or bad way?

I assume in a good way. 

@thermionic and @drofluf ;

Impressive. Well done!

Mellish said:
    @Jaycee ; I'm not quite understanding - a '"big difference" in a good or bad way?

I assume in a good way. 

Good way, I have an allergy to anything over 5%  =) one of the hills was 12-15% in places :#
    ^ well there's no shame in that.

The thing is to enjoy cycling, to pick that easy loop, if you want to. 

I was one of those who actively sought out steep gradients. I saw them as a challenge. But in a flat TT, I'd be there for the taking! :) 
  • I've done several 50km rides by now, with the pace increasing a little each time (I'm smashing PB's on segments each ride). I hit the wall on Saturday though after 50km, was unable to complete I climb that normally do with no problem.. got home having done 57km. Pretty happy with my progress so far considering where I was in March. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    @MagicPigDetective ; I assume you fuelled little and often? 

If you push too hard too often, you'll go into the red and there's consequences. 

That's the skill of a greet time-triallist- knowing how to push themselves. 

• Mellish said:
    @MagicPigDetective ; I assume you fuelled little and often? 

If you push too hard too often, you'll go into the red and there's consequences. 

That's the skill of a greet time-trial list - knowing how to push themselves. 

Yes, some bars and an energy drink. You’re right, I think I pushed it too hard (in the heat too), need to pace myself better. Perhaps I should try a longer ride but at a more casual pace?

Here's the ride:

I've done several 50km rides by now, with the pace increasing a little each time (I'm smashing PB's on segments each ride). I hit the wall on Saturday though after 50km, was unable to complete I climb that normally do with no problem.. got home having done 57km. Pretty happy with my progress so far considering where I was in March. 
    Probably a mixture of the heat and pushing a bit too hard? But I'd say mainly the heat; I struggled on Saturday on the last hill - it's a permanent feature as I live on top of it!

I remember a ride a couple of years ago where I joined a faster group as my group weren't around. Not only were they faster but they also went further. I could possibly have managed either the faster speed or the greater distance but not both. I was totally broken and ended up walking that last hill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thinking of going 1x11 GRX on my bike. Anyone got any experience of it?

I'll lose a bit of range, but will have a better lower gear. Top gear is less of a concern as the new setup will allow me to do 25mph+ at a cadence of 90rpm and I usually stop pedalling at that speed anyway. Think I can live with the bigger gaps between the gears.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 926
    Hey guys. Just thought I’d stick these up here so they get seen by the cycling lot. 

I’ve had a crash and now have a shoulder injury (suspected tear of some sort) which is preventing my usual summer mountain biking so gonna shift one or both to get myself a gravel bike again for gentle ish rides to coffee shops ha. 

I of course injure myself a few weeks after selling both my gravel bikes. 

Sonder Signal St. Large. Deore. Revelation forks. Ascend dropper post. Has Hunt trail wide wheels set up tubeless (may need new tyres soonish since these have done over 1000 miles).. Also has a brand new set of Sonder Alpha wheels worth £329 which were a warranty replacement for some borked ones. 

Anyways £800 with the spare Alpha wheels. £700 with just what’s fitted. 

Focus Jam 6.8 
    literally ordered this a day before my crash so has only been ridden for 50 miles total. 
    Seatpost annoyingly scratched when raising it and somehow my jeans ripped the ethirteen chain guide straight off the hanger. You can buy replacements but I wasn’t gonna bother since the mech has a clutch anyways. I’ve taken the chain guide mount off but obviously that’s included. 
    £1200 I guess. 

In Peterborough which is probably a million miles from everyone but I guess worth a try asking here before I deal with Facebook. 

Cheers guys. 
    May be interested in trades for a gravel bike, but would want 1x tbh though there are exceptions. 

@punchesjudy ; might be an idea to let clubs know what you have, too. There must be one in Peterborough and just up the A1 near me there's Witham Wheelers in Grantham. 

They're good bikes, so you shouldn't have a problem shifting. 

Hope that shoulder doesn't give you much more trouble. Good luck. 

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 926
    @Mellish Cheers, I might just have to do that. I’m sure there’s some groups around. Though they might wanna talk to me if I start selling them stuff ha. 

Shoulder is knackered. Waiting on an apparent urgent scan. I dunno whether urgent scan means a week away or four months. Fun times ahead.